Advice on house hunting Page 222

• Vortex808 2 Aug 2018 19:58:31 12,504 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rates have been hilariously low for ages, given they usually used to sit about 5% with the odd scary lunge up.

If brexit keeps them down even longer it'd certainly be the best period for having a mortgage
  • Psychotext 2 Aug 2018 21:58:38 63,528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Thatís not to say fixing is bad, at all, but I wouldnít rush out to fix 5 or 10 years thinking itís a no brainer.
    Not really about it being a flat out money saving choice For me it's more about potential risk. I'd rather pay slightly more knowing that's all I'm going to pay, than pay slightly less with the possibility of having to pay MUCH more. Lets face it, it's not like rates are going to get much lower, so you're not losing out on much chance of saving money anyway.
  • fontgeeksogood 2 Aug 2018 22:09:29 1,654 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I think the point though, and it did use big words I barely followed, was there's clearly value also in having the mortgage deal ending within a few years without penalty (ideally) as, if house prices continue to rise and your lending doesn't, your LTV % will improve and you could get a better rate of interest that way, even if the base rate stays the same or goes up slightly
  • Psychotext 3 Aug 2018 00:28:20 63,528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I must admit, I sort of missed the 10 year bit. :)
  • Technoishmatt 3 Aug 2018 01:32:26 2,730 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    i am fairly confident that brexit is going to shit and that interest rates will go up.

The Bank of England decision to increase the rate was linked to supply side concerns. potential for stagflation. Higher rates of inflation and lower growth. It is shit.

The difference between 2 years and a bit longer is not going to be that great, unless you are at limits of what you can afford.
  • IJ 3 Aug 2018 07:09:33 940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah there are loads of really good reasons to fix. I was just making the point around super long fixes not being a guarantee winner really.
  • DJCopa 3 Aug 2018 10:29:13 1,583 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hopefully, we'll get some Mortgage spammers appearing with great BitCoin deals.
  • robc84 3 Aug 2018 10:46:05 12,753 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We are now in a position to move forward with updating our 30 year old kitchen.

We've had multiple quotes which were ranging from £1.5k to £6k, although the latter did include some extra plastering and electrical work. We think we've found a compromise at about £3k, which includes electrics and plastering as well as moving a stud wall (where the boiler used to be) to create more space in the living room.

Once of the things that has come out of it though, is that we cannot have an extractor fan that vents outside as the wall is too close to next door. There is currently no extractor fan, which I always found odd, but now I understand why. I guess it's obvious really, but it never really clicked until it was pointed out to me. Walls and ceilings are covered in grease, which is unpleasant.

Anyway, the solution seems to be these carbon / grease filters. Has anyone had any experience of these, are they any good?
  • quadfather 3 Aug 2018 10:49:42 32,293 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @robc84

Can't you just open the window?
  • Vortex808 3 Aug 2018 11:00:57 12,504 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We have one. Works ok, but not as handy as a proper one.

Too much ducting through the house if we got a proper one.

I'm sure it'll be on the list for next kitchen update though.
  • robc84 3 Aug 2018 11:16:00 12,753 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather

We can but the window is not really near the hob, and isn't really practical in the winter.
  • robc84 3 Aug 2018 11:17:20 12,753 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Vortex808

Yeah I assumed they weren't as good, but have to be better than nothing.

Thanks.
  • quadfather 3 Aug 2018 11:20:33 32,293 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @robc84

Fair enough. Tbh, if I have the deep fat fryer out, I relocate it right next to an open door or window - it's the only bloody way to not make the house stink of fat. But I assume you can't relocate your cooker.

You've also made me realise that I haven't got one in my new place either. There is nothing above the hobs at all :)
  • robc84 3 Aug 2018 11:29:22 12,753 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather

To put the cooker by the window we'd have to move the sink to the middle of the long wall which runs parallel to the neighbors wall. Which would look a bit silly I think (and also involve messing about with plumbing and gas supply). If the filters are effective enough I can stick with our ideal design.
  • quadfather 3 Aug 2018 11:54:00 32,293 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @robc84

Yeah, just try the filters out - they'll probably do a good enough job I'd have thought.

Just visualising my kitchen, I'd have to have about 3-4 feet of duct going above the cabinets above the cooker to the rear wall. It'd look pretty stupid and that's where I store all my pans anyway. I'm just going to leave it all as it is.
  • rudedudejude 3 Aug 2018 12:39:38 2,358 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    After what was a quite informative Newsnight last night for a change, they firmly expected a .25% rate rise each year now, with it planned to level out about 2.5% for the long term future which will come to be the UK's normal.
  • quadfather 9 Aug 2018 09:34:10 32,293 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, I need to do something with the floor in the celler in the house. Note, this room is just for pissing about with musical instruments. It does not have to be absolutely spick and span (It's not even level in places)

1) I can just chuck loads of random heavy rugs on the floor and go for it.

2) I get some self levelling material, get a concrete grinder to prepare the highs and lows of the floor, then that polythene initial layer to protect from potential damp (though the room is dry and on ground level), then plywood, then pads, then carpet and skirting boards.

Number 2 is a) expensive and b) lots of work, most of which I'll inevitably fuck up.

what other options are there?

The floor itself looks like this -

• Mr_Sleep 9 Aug 2018 09:47:20 21,882 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You could use plywood and packers to get it level. I would always go laminate over carpet, especially in a room with musicians where spills of all kinds will inevitably happen. Plus it is cheap and easy to install yourself.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Aug 2018 09:47:27 1,654 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I would expect it's relatively damp so rugs might not be the best idea for your sex dungeon
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Aug 2018 09:48:27 21,882 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    rudedudejude wrote:
    After what was a quite informative Newsnight last night for a change, they firmly expected a .25% rate rise each year now, with it planned to level out about 2.5% for the long term future which will come to be the UK's normal.
    2% is the ideal level of inflation that all countries aspire to so the UK successfully getting to that level seems highly unlikely.
  • Psiloc 9 Aug 2018 09:54:22 4,712 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wouldn't laminate be horrible on an uneven floor?
  • nickthegun 9 Aug 2018 10:02:01 74,710 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can confirm. One of the bedrooms in our new house has a bedroom half in and out of the extension and the floor isn't level. The dopey cunts put laminate down and it just looked and felt stupid.

Had to pull the lot up, level the floor and carpet it.
  • Psychotext 9 Aug 2018 10:04:42 63,528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Based on my house, you should put tiles that are extremely sensitive to being level on top of it... just as it is.

(I'd probably just cover it with some off cuts of tough carpet or something)
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Aug 2018 10:07:10 21,882 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That is why one uses plywood first to level the floor. Did only half of my post display or something? 😋 Also, get some quality rubber based underlay which will help should the ply that is theoretically level not actually be level.
  • Psiloc 9 Aug 2018 10:08:02 4,712 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TBF since this is just your den and you don't give a shit about doing it properly (I've got rooms like that) then I wouldn't judge you just chucking loads of rugs over it.

If you're worried it might be damp down there I wouldn't floor it properly until that's sorted anyway
  • Psiloc 9 Aug 2018 10:09:26 4,712 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    That is why one uses plywood first to level the floor. Did only half of my post display or something? 😋 Also, get some quality rubber based underlay which will help should the ply that is theoretically level not actually be level.
    Ah, I misread your post as "level it OR laminate it"
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Aug 2018 10:11:14 21,882 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Actually, rereading my post I can see why it was not clear.
  • quadfather 9 Aug 2018 10:11:54 32,293 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    You could use plywood and packers to get it level. I would always go laminate over carpet, especially in a room with musicians where spills of all kinds will inevitably happen. Plus it is cheap and easy to install yourself.
    Going this method - I assume that I'd need to select the highest point to lay the plywood and pack the lower levels?
  • quadfather 9 Aug 2018 10:12:16 32,293 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I would expect it's relatively damp so rugs might not be the best idea for your sex dungeon
    You are starting to worry me.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Aug 2018 10:14:22 21,882 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Going this method - I assume that I'd need to select the highest point to lay the plywood and pack the lower levels?
    Yep. Fixing the ply down will need to be done with glue. You can also get damp resistant ply if you are worried about that.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.