Advice on house hunting Page 223

• quadfather 9 Aug 2018 10:17:47 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    TBF since this is just your den and you don't give a shit about doing it properly (I've got rooms like that) then I wouldn't judge you just chucking loads of rugs over it.

If you're worried it might be damp down there I wouldn't floor it properly until that's sorted anyway
    This is what I'm thinking. I've only just bought the place and don't want to go mad straight away - I need to live in it for a while before I decide permanent stuff. There should be no damp, and I want to start using the room, so I was thinking of rugs, or like Pyschotext says, maybe some offcuts of carpet to start with.

I might end up even not using this room as a music room permanently - it's just where everything is music-wise at the moment.
  • quadfather 9 Aug 2018 10:21:09 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    You could use plywood and packers to get it level. I would always go laminate over carpet, especially in a room with musicians where spills of all kinds will inevitably happen. Plus it is cheap and easy to install yourself.
    Going this method - I assume that I'd need to select the highest point to lay the plywood and pack the lower levels?
    Yep. Fixing the ply down will need to be done with glue. You can also get damp resistant ply if you are worried about that.
    I'm 99% sure damp isn't an issue as it's on ground level and I've had it checked, and there are warm rooms on either side of it - in fact, don't think of it as a cellar at all - it's just a room downstairs that has the back door in it.

I suppose a basic ply boarded area would be a good starting point.

I'll have to price it all up I guess compared to just chucking shit in and going for it.
  • quadfather 9 Aug 2018 10:28:51 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, I bought a blackout blind for the velux in the end. I was wondering why most of them available are either white or beige. I insisted on searching until I got a black one. And now I know why the beige ones are so popular. My addled mind did not come to the realisation at exactly how dark the room is when you put the blind on. I couldn't see shit and fell over the sofa.

It's fucking brilliant for films + games though now.
  • quadfather 9 Aug 2018 10:33:11 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And looking on amazon I can get a 5m by 4m offcut for about 60. Might just do something like that to start with and chuck rugs on it
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Aug 2018 11:50:54 22,013 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I would suggest you look at somewhere like champion timber or a proper timber merchant for your ply. Ply is porous so if you are going to do that then you should consider sealing it.
  • quadfather 9 Aug 2018 11:54:06 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

But if I just chuck off cuts and rugs down I don't need to bother. Tbh, it's mainly just to stop having to walk on concrete. It's literally going to be "a den" - it'll have pictures and hangings on the walls, neon signs, beer fridge in the corner and musical instruments with a few chairs and bean bags etc
  • Salaman 9 Aug 2018 13:31:05 23,316 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Besides, the acoustics will be better with some rugs down.
  • quadfather 9 Aug 2018 13:47:53 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And that!
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Aug 2018 14:15:36 3,531 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Which wall are the manacles anchoring to
  • quadfather 9 Aug 2018 14:24:25 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't decided yet, but near a neon sign, definitely.
  • Psychotext 9 Aug 2018 22:09:08 64,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One of my koi just died. The icing on the whole shitshow that's been my move. :(
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Aug 2018 22:14:53 3,531 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Nooooooooooooooo :(
  • quadfather 10 Aug 2018 08:57:32 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah man, that's shitty. Sorry to hear
  • Psychotext 10 Aug 2018 09:47:24 64,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yup, it fucking sucks.

On the house front, we've had to put together a full list of the snags as the site manager had said we only had 2(!) left. Remaining list is something in the order of 180 snags as it stands (not yet finished).

They've sent cleaners today, which is something... except because our stuff is absolutely everywhere (we can't put it in place because of the work still to be done) so they're pretty limited as to what they can actually clean.
  • quadfather 10 Aug 2018 11:48:53 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jesus Christ, is there even an end in sight?
  • quadfather 10 Aug 2018 11:51:41 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In other news, I need to completely empty my cellar/downstairs room of it's contents tomorrow and put them outside, and then shift a ton of wood out of there and put it upstairs near the log burner. Then I can start to attempt to make it into an actual room.

Still, shouldn't be too hard. I mean, it's not like it's cluttered with shit or anything...

• Psychotext 10 Aug 2018 12:24:01 64,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Jesus Christ, is there even an end in sight?
    I've already pretty much given up on the place being finished this year to be honest.
  • the_milkybar_kid 10 Aug 2018 13:44:31 7,719 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry to hear about the koi mate, that's shit.

3 weeks into the extension, so half way though the predicted timescale.

• Psychotext 11 Aug 2018 12:27:21 64,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Adding to my general misery. It appears we've got a wasp next in an area that they didn't close off properly / next to a broken tile.
  • quadfather 11 Aug 2018 12:36:43 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Psychotext

I don't believe it
  • quadfather 11 Aug 2018 12:37:09 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was nice of the previous owner to leave me a couple of logs for the fire

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wFokXgM3PJDWxh7w8
  • Psychotext 11 Aug 2018 12:42:58 64,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Neat.
  • monkehhh 11 Aug 2018 12:47:56 5,013 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The father in law had a load of firewood to give us, so he built us a log store and to put it all in too. Not bad!

Got the landscapers in at the minute doing all the hard outside work round the back. Hopefully it will make the build feel like it's over and we can be arsed to finish the decorating.
  • Dirt3 11 Aug 2018 13:07:25 393 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psychotext

Had one of these in one of my containers recently. The queen got in though the vent pipe.

It wasn't huge, but I had never been stung before, so I paid 80 to get rid of it. Bloke was very efficient.

I would have a go myself now having watched him, with some caveats.

Getting stung by 100 or so wasps would not be fun, and by the time you've paid the money out for the gear the price for removal don't look that bad.
  • Psychotext 11 Aug 2018 13:10:58 64,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've actually got a bee suit, but my main problem with where it is would be actually getting to it. I don't own a long ladder and it's two floors up.
  • prettyvacant 11 Aug 2018 13:37:17 188 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
  • quadfather 14 Aug 2018 09:03:57 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spoke to soon about my house.

Used the immersion heater for the second time last night.

At about 3:40am this morning, I hear a noise, like something dripping. The cupboard where the immersion heater and the overflow tank is right next to me, so I open it up and yup, sure enough, the overflow tank is overflowing. Greeaaatttt!!!!

So, I dumped a towel on top to soak it up and had a few hours kip. When I woke up a bit later, it had soaked that towel.

Right, so I've turned off the isolator to the feed into the overflow tank and *ever so gently* turned the overflow pipe valve, thinking I could slowly let it out.

Yeah, that came off in my hand and I got a jet of water to the face :)

It's back on now, and I'm slowly draining the water into a large bowl until it goes below the overflow pipe level.

Why the fuck isn't the overflow pipe doing it's job?

Maybe I'll get central heating with a boiler after all :)

Edited by quadfather at 09:04:51 14-08-2018
  • henro_ben 14 Aug 2018 09:27:04 2,371 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @quadfather Blocked pipe? Or possibly it's been installed by a moron and the fall isn't correct on the pipe, so it's creating an airlock.
  • quadfather 14 Aug 2018 09:46:18 33,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @henro_ben

I think it must be one of those two things. I've just ensured the feed to the header tank is isolated, put bowls in to collect the drips and turned on the hot taps to drain it and it's stopped now, so I'm assuming the water level in the header tank is now below the overflow.

So guess it's either blocked overflow, or like you way the fall isn't brilliant (it looks like it goes slightly up before it goes vertically down through the floor). Or the float in the header tank is fucked - if it's that, and I fix that, I shouldn't have to rely on the overflow. Though tbh, if it's this shoddy - I don't want to rely on any of it, tbh.
  • Psiloc 14 Aug 2018 10:20:12 4,880 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You've just reminded me. Our upstairs toilet was leaking into the bowl after we first moved in; we could hear the distinct sound of the tank constantly being topped up, and we're on a water meter now so fuck that. Had a look thinking it's going through the overflow pipe, but it wasn't, the water was disappearing from somewhere else. At least we knew it was only going into the bowl.

The toilet mechanism was something I've never seen before. It was like a bizarre mixture of the old style with the water float and the new sort. Anyway I notice a diagram on the side of the bowl with which components you can take out and clean.

Now for some stupid reason, possibly because it's the middle of the night and I'm half sleepwalking, I unscrew the first component as instructed. Without turning the water off. There's a fucking explosion of water as I've just gone and removed the stopping mechanism and it shoots out like I don't know what. I frantically try and screw the plastic back in against the flow of water (not happening) while screaming for the wife to wake up and do something. She dutifully arrives but of course needs to pause for a moment to tell me what a moron I am before seeing to this fucking massive fucking problem of the house being flooded. Now I'm panicking because I can't leave where I am and I don't know where the stop taps are in the new house. There is fucking god damn fucking water fucking everywhere.

Luckily by some fluke that I still don't understand the wife knew where the stop taps were and managed to turn the right one off. Call me what you want but this fact bothered me for a moment.

When she came back upstairs and gave me that look, my explanation was that the sound of the water was keeping me awake. Didn't go down well.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.