Advice on house hunting Page 233

• Dougs 17 Sep 2018 11:09:07 87,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good work. Looks ace and will make things much easier, I am sure.

I am a year out from mortgage renewal. Need to decide whether we can afford to release some equity for some home improvements. Ideally would like to knock through the kitchen into the dining room and open it right out, with a glass extension on the back to give more light (North facing garden so it's all a bit dark), new kitchen and whatnot. Would also need to move the downstairs shower room and install a new boiler, as well as remove a chimney breast. Would also like to re-do the living room and put back in a fireplace (would need a false chimney breast and external flue), we well as better storage.

All told, that's probably 40-50k of work which might be a bit steep. May just end up doing the living room as a first step. :-/
  • robc84 17 Sep 2018 11:09:19 12,982 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid

That looks great! Jealous as my extension is probably a few years away :(
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2018 11:12:12 64,185 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice. Good to see some builders are capable of doing work that isn't complete shite.
  • the_milkybar_kid 17 Sep 2018 11:34:40 7,745 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah he's done a great job, will have no problem recommending him locally.

@Phychotext have been meaning to ask for a week or so how you're getting on as I haven't seen you in the thread for a while?

@Dougs best think you can do is just get as many quotes as possible and see if you can stomach the financial hit, then think about any materials you'd need as the price always creeps up.
  • The_Goon 17 Sep 2018 11:37:57 1,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid Looks great, mate! Quality work by the look of things.

Where are you based? Looking at getting a few things done on our place potentially.

Edited by The_Goon at 11:38:29 17-09-2018
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2018 11:39:28 64,185 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They turned up, did a bunch of work, fucked a few more things up (big holes in render at roof edge now), argued with us on the flooring (they'd put the wrong stuff in to replace scratched tiles and are now arguing it's "natural variance") and have now ignored us for more than a week. Still only two areas out of like... 20 done.

So today the next step on the complaint ladder.
  • the_milkybar_kid 17 Sep 2018 12:15:37 7,745 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @The_Goon I'm in Stoke on Trent mate.

@Psychotext Shit :-( . Not sure I can say anything that hasn't already. Sucks big time.
  • Rhaegyr 20 Sep 2018 15:04:50 4,650 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bit of advice, think we've fucked up.

Had a leak downstairs so we've had to get all the walls and ceilings reskimmed as well as replacing the skirting. What I stupidly failed to do was take the existing skirting off before the plasterer reskimmed (so he's reskimmed up to the existing skirting).

Joiner's coming tomorrow to replace the skirting and has warned that bits of plaster could potentially come off as he takes off the existing skirting.

Anyone else made the same balls up? How much could it potentially damage the new plaster? We've already sealed it with a few mist coats and the new skirting will be an inch taller than the existing one - I'm hoping this will had any potential imperfections!

/idiot
  • Dougs 20 Sep 2018 15:21:58 87,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not much you can do other than hope for the best I don't think. You should be OK if he's careful. Maybe score along the top of the skirting to minimise the potential for it to rip halfway up the wall?
  • Rhaegyr 20 Sep 2018 15:24:59 4,650 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks - he's said he'll scribe it himself but it can't hurt for me to give it a once over tonight. He's highly recommended too so I'm hoping it'll be minimal.

If there's any cracks/tears I know where the furniture's going anyway :p
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Sep 2018 15:49:12 7,745 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah there's no way it's coming off without making a mess. Just depends on how hard it's stuck down. Most of it is nailed down or glued on, or both in some cases I've seen. If he's recommended he should take as much care as possible not to rag it off, but nothing's guaranteed, just a guessing game until it starts coming off. Fingers crossed.
  • henro_ben 20 Sep 2018 15:59:55 2,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Thanks - he's said he'll scribe it himself but it can't hurt for me to give it a once over tonight. He's highly recommended too so I'm hoping it'll be minimal.

Did he say scribe, or score? Because scribing would imply that he's going to cut away at the back of the new board where it overlaps the new plaster, thus making it fit flush, rather than scoring the plaster before taking off the old boards...

I'd be inclined to give it a score myself before he comes round. It shouldn't take off too much plaster, but it really depends on how it's attached to the wall.

To be honest, I'd be deeply, deeply unimpressed with a plasterer who thought it acceptable to skim a wall without taking the skirting boards off!
  • Rhaegyr 20 Sep 2018 16:00:29 4,650 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah damn. Thanks for the advice - I'll prepare for the worst.

We got a bit more than we needed from the insurance claim so in the absolute worst case scenario we can get the odd wall reskimmed if it ends up showing up that badly.
  • Rhaegyr 20 Sep 2018 16:03:11 4,650 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Did he say scribe, or score? Because scribing would imply that he's going to cut away at the back of the new board where it overlaps the new plaster, thus making it fit flush, rather than scoring the plaster before taking off the old boards...

I'd be inclined to give it a score myself before he comes round. It shouldn't take off too much plaster, but it really depends on how it's attached to the wall.

To be honest, I'd be deeply, deeply unimpressed with a plasterer who thought it acceptable to skim a wall without taking the skirting boards off!
    My mistake - he said score, not scribe.

In all honestly I can't remember if I told the plasterer we were changing the skirting boards - they look a fucking mess though so I'm half mad at him, half mad at myself.

If there's a silver lining I think in some areas it'll come off fairly easily as the leak travelled all the way down the walls and has swelled and split the existing skirting (hence the replacement).

Live and learn!
  • robc84 20 Sep 2018 16:24:20 12,982 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When I took our skirting off in the bedrooms it did pull off quite a bit of plaster.I suck at DIY though and wasn't particularly careful :)

Luckily it was low skirting and we were replacing with much taller so it covered it no problems!

Good luck...
  • Rhaegyr 20 Sep 2018 16:29:05 4,650 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @robc84

Don't suppose you remember how much plaster it took off from the top of the skirting, height wise? Just trying to prepare for the worst here.
  • dpezzer 20 Sep 2018 16:56:15 163 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dunno what size the original skirting was but try exchanging your new stuff for something higher say 9" ,will cover any rough patches and give you a clean line.
  • mrpon 20 Sep 2018 17:04:03 34,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When I took my skirting off it took the whole supporting wall down and my house collapsed.

Am I helping? ;)
  • GuybrushFreepwood 20 Sep 2018 19:18:58 401 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @mrpon :)

Helped me that's for sure.
  • gamingdave 25 Sep 2018 16:31:37 4,774 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Estate agents....... Moved back to London. Been adding properties to rent to a shortlist for a while. Get here, and contact a few estate agents. All the properties are gone (despite still being on their sites as well as rightmove) so I give them my details, along with a maximum budget, minimum number of rooms, and clear location.

What do I get?

Bombarded with emails for properties either 5 miles away, not enough rooms, 20% over budget, or in one case, all bloody 3!

Really, what a shower of c****
  • Rhaegyr 25 Sep 2018 16:33:00 4,650 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's a special place in hell reserved for estate agents.
  • Dougs 25 Sep 2018 16:38:30 87,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    +1. How's the skirting issue?!
  • robc84 25 Sep 2018 16:48:13 12,982 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @robc84

Don't suppose you remember how much plaster it took off from the top of the skirting, height wise? Just trying to prepare for the worst here.
    Sorry, missed this!

Not a lot really to be honest. I think the skirting we put on was 144mm and it easily covered what I pulled off. So probably a few centimetres?
  • robc84 25 Sep 2018 16:49:01 12,982 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    There's a special place in hell reserved for estate agents.
    Also this.

Apart from the ones that we used to sell, they were great. Very rare though.
  • robc84 25 Sep 2018 16:50:59 12,982 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On the plus side, we ordered our kitchen at the weekend, and the fitter is booked for 5th November. I'm a lot poorer, but I can't wait to get that bloody thing ripped out. It's hideous :)
  • Rhaegyr 25 Sep 2018 17:01:28 4,650 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dougs

It didnít turn out too bad thanks Ė itís taken bits of the plaster off in certain areas where heís pulled the existing skirting off but nothing more than an inch or so above the new skirting. The plastererís coming round tonight to patch it up for me, hopefully it doesnít stand out too much once itís dried!
  • Technoishmatt 25 Sep 2018 17:43:44 2,975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have found some bare success by making an appointment with an estate agent in area I wanted and then going to the properties they have on file, with them.
  • quadfather 26 Sep 2018 21:06:00 33,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The sex dungeon is improving - taken down the Nazi wall hanging and put some graffiti up instead

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eDXLghwZAR1YRtZS9
  • rudedudejude 27 Sep 2018 16:00:36 2,367 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @gamingdave I think they just stick them online to lure people in, most that I ever enquired about were gone within 3 hours of being posted online.
  • ionic 27 Sep 2018 20:58:54 740 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone got any advice when it comes to mortgage brokers. Are they recommended?
    Do you have to go with them or can you leave them and go direct if you find a better deal?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.