Advice on house hunting Page 237

• Mr_Sleep 22 Oct 2018 21:36:43 22,014 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Frogofdoom yeah, karndean is very expensive, there are some reasonable cheaper alternatives now.
  • rolando-calrissian 23 Oct 2018 09:30:43 54 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Too many options. I shall ponder it whilst perusing b&q. Nothing else to do whilst waiting ages for solicitors to sort out whatever it is they do. Useless shitbags.
  • Psiloc 23 Oct 2018 14:49:06 4,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got to redo the floor in the dining room soon. Probably going with laminate.

What are the odds I can do it myself if I'm distinctly average at DIY? Is it easier than it looks or do you need a real steady hand to cut it to size?
  • robthehermit 23 Oct 2018 14:50:52 7,022 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You'd probably be better off using a saw of some description :D
  • Psiloc 23 Oct 2018 14:53:21 4,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :) /sigh
  • Psychotext 23 Oct 2018 15:49:12 64,192 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just to add to the misery. Quote for the fish pond came in at about triple what I was expecting. Fuck all of this.
  • Technoishmatt 23 Oct 2018 15:49:57 2,975 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Brexit innit.
  • fontgeeksogood 23 Oct 2018 15:58:50 3,751 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Are your carp British
  • Psychotext 23 Oct 2018 16:10:36 64,192 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll check their bassports.
  • robc84 23 Oct 2018 16:19:41 12,982 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Got to redo the floor in the dining room soon. Probably going with laminate.

What are the odds I can do it myself if I'm distinctly average at DIY? Is it easier than it looks or do you need a real steady hand to cut it to size?
    I'm worse than average at DIY, and I laid the 3 bedrooms in our house with laminate and I think I did an ok job. Some of my poor cuts were masked by buying thick enough skirting to sit on top :)
  • GuybrushFreepwood 25 Oct 2018 09:37:44 401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Got a call back from that legal firm ref the "granny annex". I asked them straight out if what they were suggesting was in any way illegal and what the absolute worst case would be if what they felt was the case was wrong.

Apparently worst case would be you would have to pay back the money awarded with interest. HMRC have 9 months to object and after that the money is yours. Apparently it is tax avoidance which is legal and not tax evasion which is not.

They told me that they would do my case for free as I had been recommended by someone else who used them and that I would expect to get back ~600. It helps that the plans I have for the place call it a "granny annex extension" and that the council have it as a separate dwelling.
  • mrpon 5 Nov 2018 12:26:37 34,849 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So PurpleBrick sellers, I feel like I should be contacting all my interested parties playing them off each other etc.. But the website is so shit, plus I can't be arsed.

This is where an actual estate agent thrives isn't it?
  • IJ 5 Nov 2018 13:20:37 958 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just do a sealed bid final process for ease? Give some information "2 offers above asking already for context" or whatever to anchor your price point & expectations.

Everyone submits by mid-day Wednesday absolute best bids along with evidence of their current status (mortgage pre-approved, not in a chain etc).

Then you weigh up the bids with their position and move forward.
  • ZuluHero 5 Nov 2018 17:31:49 6,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like its time for my biennial house move. Can't seem to stay anywhere for longer than 2 years. Gonna finish the bit of painting we started, tidy the place up then its back on the market.

Was checking zoopla and rightmove last night for value. If it gets the estimate i'll be reasonably happy. Should cover everything we've done to it, like a new boiler and kitchen cabinets with a bit extra. If not then :/

Its in a very rental heavy street, and a typical first time buyers home close to the town centre, so I'm hoping some monopoly magnate will jump at it. Then they can knock all 4 down and build a hotel.

Edited by ZuluHero at 17:32:35 05-11-2018
  • Dougs 5 Nov 2018 17:35:56 87,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bugger that. I am never moving again if I can help it. Took me over 2 years to recover!
  • ZuluHero 5 Nov 2018 18:37:20 6,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know, I really felt the last one and know I don't have many more in me. Done a lifetime of moves already. Problem is that it's been very nomadic, and as a result I don't really feel like I belong anywhere anymore. A bit detached if I am honest.

We do "currently" like the area we are in, so will probably be a much closer move. The current house was really a stepping stone into the area and now we know the ins and outs a bit better we can take more time finding something we actually love. Maybe that will make the difference here, let's hope so!

Ironically not been the same in my career, only had a couple of changes in 20 years in an industry that is usually very mobile.
  • Psychotext 5 Nov 2018 19:53:42 64,192 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LMAO, Barratt now saying that they'll look at our Stage 2 and Stage 3 snag list (basically the damage caused by their contractors) after they've fixed the Stage 1 list.

Because, yes, what I need is another 9 months of contractors continually fucking shit up whilst I'm forced to miss a ton of work to make sure they actually know what they're supposed to be doing.
  • Dougs 5 Nov 2018 19:55:39 87,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Shambolic. What is alarming is that they are one of the better ones!
  • DugBriderider 6 Nov 2018 17:46:50 814 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just started to sell a house and picking an estate agent. Any recommendations?

What do they do exactly? cos our local ones want over a grand because its shared ownership and I can't see the value at the moment.

Also just laying some Engineered board in the new self build, underlays nothing special but we have underfloor heating so went for ultra thin.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 7 Nov 2018 05:54:09 401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @DugBriderider

What will purple bricks quote you?

Otherwise go with recommendations or check the places out by acting like a buyer.

I once caught out an estate agents that way. My rental that I wanted out of wasn't getting any interest (agreement was six month notice or when they got someone else interested). I smelt a rat and had a friend go in and pretend to want a house exactly like the one I was in. The agent never mentioned our place.

I walked back in with my friend moments later and asked them to explain.. House was rented out to other people within the week after that. Sneaky bastards had obviously been happy keeping me where I was while renting out other places to me people.
  • Psychotext 7 Nov 2018 09:27:40 64,192 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why would an estate agent charge more for shared ownership? It's the solicitors that would be doing all the work likely to be affected by that aspect.
  • DugBriderider 7 Nov 2018 09:51:22 814 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Purple Bricks are quoting their flat fee of 900.

Spoke to my who made the call. The local independent wanted 3,000 for a 72% share of a 260k house, which imply a 1.6% fee. I don't know if that's standard but it seemed high. Also they said they had nothing like this on their books so they didn't have the clientele which maybe code for we don't want this.

Went to look at right move in my area and that gave me some leads on estates agents at my level, but didn't see purple bricks at all which I thought was strange.
  • Dougs 7 Nov 2018 09:56:04 87,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Shared ownership in terms of the Govt scheme? Presumably a buyer has to buy it outright, you only receive 72% and the Govt gets the rest. Shouldn't change selling for the snakes for bloods.
  • The_Goon 7 Nov 2018 11:26:06 1,123 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aren't there strict conditions on the sale of shared ownership properties usually? Might be the reason for the seemingly higher cost. And do you have the right to sell? I ask as a friend of mine couldn't sell himself and had to notify the LHA who owned the other portion of his property and they would find a buyer, or something to that effect basically.
  • DugBriderider 7 Nov 2018 13:50:31 814 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes there are all sorts of restrictions connected to the Housing Association that own the other half, local connection needed a a lease for the other portion. Glad I'm getting out of it.

What grinds my gears is that because it was such an early form of shared ownership the previous occupants didn't pay any rent, when we took it on we had to pay a monthly admin fee of 25. The next occupant will pay market rent of over 300 a month. Plus we have to pay fees for the lease to be altered.

It's a shakedown, but our solicitor says it's a common issue with housing associations.
  • ZuluHero 12 Nov 2018 00:27:31 6,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Need a bit of advice, saw a house today that we liked, problem is it has solar panels installed under the rent a roof scheme. Talking with the agent it seems that some mortgage lenders won't lend on a house because of this which can make it hard to sell in the future not to mention putting people off. Anyone encountered anything like this or has any experience with this setup?
  • Technoishmatt 12 Nov 2018 02:42:13 2,975 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry no, but also, doesn't stamp duty kill reselling every couple years?
  • the-cozen-show 13 Nov 2018 21:18:30 300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    hmmmm.... used to having thick masonry walls in my old tenement flat. moving from that to lath-and-plaster walls is a bit of a learning curve. just kinda bodged putting up a picture hook... hammered the pin in and the plaster cracked and crumbled, leaving a big divot. polyfill, sand and paint that tomorrow and then go with drill / rawl / screw.
  • IJ 17 Nov 2018 10:13:31 958 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Psychotext
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/nov/17/quality-build-homes-charles-church-buyers?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • IJ 17 Nov 2018 10:13:32 958 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Psychotext
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/nov/17/quality-build-homes-charles-church-buyers?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.