Advice on house hunting Page 245

• The_Goon 14 May 2019 10:18:20 1,235 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    @consignia congrats also.

Booked only.

Sellers have decided to rent as they look for their new house. They are downsizing and want to be able to compete with first time buyers. Which is awesome as o ly means it should go faster.
    Congrats but also be careful. Stretching yourselves for a couple of years might be advisable if there is a big promotion/pay jump coming but long term it's a dangerous game...
  • Technoishmatt 16 May 2019 16:13:46 3,394 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yar, I am pretty careful. All the brokers I have spoken to say the amount we are borrowing should comfortably sit within our income, before you consider annual bonuses (which for my wife can be almost half again).

The decision in principle said we could borrow an amount which is more than even the value of the house. I think that is bonkers, as at that level we could for sure afford the repayments during the fixed period, but after that and if rates go up it would be a pretty big stretch. Weren't the banks supposed to be doing more to not give out unaffordable mortgages? My own bank was even suggesting I could do interest only.

In any case, just decided on our mortgage choice - an offset mortgage at 2.09% fixed for 5 years, with total period of 34 years.

Survey taking place on Monday - fingers crossed!
  • consignia 17 May 2019 21:27:15 1,472 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So the place I'm buying has got a wood burning stove fire place. It's pretty nice, and one of things that attracted me. However I've just been given the inventory, and they are counting it as a loose fitting and trying to charge me for it. Removing is going to be more hassle than just leaving it.

Is it me or this a little bit cheeky?
  • GuybrushFreepwood 17 May 2019 22:21:16 945 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @consignia was it mentioned in the housing particulars (ie the advert). If so then itís part of the sale and they are trying it on. If not, then itís a grey area, but they would need to pay for making the fireplace good once they removed it.

Iíd talk to your solicitor.
  • The_Goon 17 May 2019 22:44:05 1,235 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well if you donít pay for it, theyíre going to have to remove it. Cheeky cunts.
  • eleven63 17 May 2019 22:52:10 2,489 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Make them sweat. Way too much hassle to remove.
  • consignia 17 May 2019 23:46:02 1,472 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    @consignia was it mentioned in the housing particulars (ie the advert). If so then itís part of the sale and they are trying it on. If not, then itís a grey area, but they would need to pay for making the fireplace good once they removed it.

Iíd talk to your solicitor.
    In the particulars for the lounge it says something to the effect of the wood burner being an attractive part of the room.

Yeah, this might have to be a solicitor thing.

Thanks for thoughts, guys.

Edited by consignia at 23:56:04 17-05-2019
  • fontgeeksogood 18 May 2019 00:53:38 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    Make them sweat. Way too much hassle to remove.
    Absolutely this but also get your solicitor to fuck em up. Too much of this shit going on, they don't want to take it with them, they'll just see a way to squeeze more money out of you
  • Psychotext 21 May 2019 01:27:46 64,970 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kitchen and bathroom floor being ripped up tomorrow. Yay... and the saga continues.
  • Dougs 21 May 2019 05:50:18 89,122 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mate. It's never bloody ending.
  • Psychotext 21 May 2019 14:33:07 64,970 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So apparently today was just about Barratt covering their arses so they could argue that the flooring company was at fault. Fucking cunts.

I couldn't give a shit who is at fault. Stop wasting my time and fix the issues you total fucking wankers.
  • mrpon 21 May 2019 16:20:16 35,207 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So they've ripped up your floor then?!
  • Psychotext 21 May 2019 19:16:41 64,970 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, and glued it back down in such a way that there's now gaps. It's just one fuckup after another.

I mean, it still needs replacing so I guess the gaps don't matter, but for fuck's sake.
  • mrpon 23 May 2019 10:14:19 35,207 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well in other news, I got my mortgage offer! Woop! Fuck me that took some hoops to jump through, highly highly recommend trying brokers, they've been amazing for me and it only cost me £400.

Hoping for a July completion.
  • Psychotext 23 May 2019 11:08:59 64,970 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Awesome, I recall that being very stressful.

I'm not looking forward to my renewal as I've racked up a shittonne of credit card debt trying to sort shit out here.
  • Technoishmatt 23 May 2019 11:39:28 3,394 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice. Our mortgage application is in. They wouldn't lend quite as much as we wanted due to our credit score (not affordability), but it is enough. Not sure what it might be, maybe because we weren't in the country for 3.5 years and just came back.

Valuation survey is next.

We already had a Building Survey done - nothing urgent or major, but definitely some upkeep/maintenance, including replacing the still lead water pipe from the street.

How do people approach that stuff in the final negotiation? Should I be trying to pay less? As a fraction of the price I cant see it being much.
  • mrpon 23 May 2019 12:28:01 35,207 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I tried to knock down on one house after the survey, the vendor got very pissy to the point the deal almost fell through! ymmw ofc.

With this house I already negotiated a good reduction on offer (13k) so I'm happy that any survey work is covered by this. I'll be pretty much gutting anyway so it's moot for me. You could argue the vendors have already taken into account any works required based on their selling price.

Good luck.
  • Technoishmatt 23 May 2019 12:53:23 3,394 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mrpon yeah, I think that it would have be stuff that was unexpected or initially invisible, eg roof needing done.

It's mostly stuff that will need extra maintenance because the house is over a hundred years d and some things are simoly coming to the end of their life. I think the lead water pipe is the only completely unexpected issue and I think that will only be in the hundreds of pounds to fix.

One other point is that he thinks the original lath and plaster ceilings might be getting past it, which seems expensive to redo in all rooms, except the recent loft extension. At over 2000 sq ft that seems like lot... Isnt that just an old house "feature"?
  • mrpon 23 May 2019 13:12:12 35,207 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was it full structural? I would hope so if it's over 100 years old! I'd personally treat the issues as a to do list over the coming years, unless it's something critical that needs resolving asap. The report should've broken down the issues into three red/amber/green categories?

The cynic in me thinks they just raise things just to be picky and also because they're in cahoots with builders he recommended after the report came in! :D
  • Technoishmatt 23 May 2019 14:17:54 3,394 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No recommended builders :) yes full structural, but they just call it the Building Survey now (as opposed to the homebuyer survey).

I think we will try to do anything that is internal (and the lead pipe thing...) before we move in (just not sure about the ceiling stuff). External stuff if it makes sense and is same people. Some of it will be spend to save as well, and add value to the property.

Also, there is some artex stuff in two of the smaller bedrooms, not sure what to do with that. The word asbestos gives me chills :)
  • Dougs 23 May 2019 14:42:02 89,122 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Asbestos is fine if left alone. And even when removing it, as long as it is kept wet, it should be fine.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 May 2019 22:09:02 22,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lathe and plaster is fucking horrible when renovating. It crumbles and is very dusty as it has all broken down over time. My house is full of the stuff. So bare that in mind when you are renovating.

It is probably worth sealing up any rooms when work is going on. Even then your house will get covered in fine white dust.

Saying all that, it is true of any works, they are always messy and dusty. We have had a new kitchen installed and we have been cleaning almost every day to irradicate the dust and dirt.

Artex can be fine, it depends on the age and technique. I think the worst asbestos wasn't used in that kind of thing. If in doubt you should definitely hire a professional.
  • Technoishmatt 4 Jun 2019 21:15:47 3,394 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok, so the valuation by the mortgage provider came back.

By happy coincidence, they have valued it at exactly what our offer was. What tosh. It cost me only 90 quid less than what I paid for the full structural survey.

Anyway...
  • elstoof 4 Jun 2019 21:20:10 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah they just come round, check itís not a hole in the ground, look at what youíre paying and copy the number over before heading down the pub
  • Technoishmatt 7 Jun 2019 14:56:04 3,394 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Next update:

We have a mortgage offer! Yay.

Separately, the vendor has offered us 90% of the existing furniture, including fridge and washing machine, for £188. Lolz!

Question for people, and this goes a bit to the solar panel thread too: been looking st the EPC report on what we could do to increase the energy rating, as seems like we should prioritise good insulation before things like solar panels. Anybody taken action based on their report? The house is over 100 years old, and the top suggestion (by impact and cost) is to insulate walls and roof, at a cost of between 2000 and 1400 squid.
  • Nexus_6 7 Jun 2019 15:43:36 4,231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What type of house is it? If its over 100 years old there is a high chance it doesn't have a cavity wall to fill in the first place.
    Even if it does, I wouldn't recommend it - opens up potential for damp etc.
    You should do insulation in the attic floor. Do it yourself, before you fill it with a load of your crap. Get the rolls from whereever is cheapest and wear full PPE.

You wont really notice much difference though I would reckon.
  • Dougs 7 Jun 2019 15:54:21 89,122 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Agree with nexus - steer clear of cavity wall insultation in old houses. You'll have damp and condensation in no time

Edited by Dougs at 16:20:11 07-06-2019
  • elstoof 7 Jun 2019 16:12:32 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thirded, brick cavity walls were designed to breath. The air between them is as good an insulator as anything else, and as Nexus says at that age they probably donít have a cavity anyway. You can usually tell by the external brick pattern, Flemish bond was the most popular method of laying solid brick. If the walls are stretcher bond then thereís likely to be a cavity
  • elstoof 7 Jun 2019 16:14:06 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also consider how long itíll take to claw back £2000 from any energy bill reductions, you might only be looking at 100 per year saving
  • Technoishmatt 7 Jun 2019 18:29:11 3,394 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers all.

Weird that they would recommend insulation if that has so many downsides. The report says savings would be 560 per 3 years.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.