Advice on house hunting Page 246

• Technoishmatt 7 Jun 2019 18:41:06 3,508 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry, the original estimate was up to 14000, not 1400, so definitely doesnt seem value for money. It was more for reduced energy and CO2.

From some cyber analysis seems that indeed as the house is Edwardian it is likely solid walls, and so probably not a great idea to do anything. It is mid terrace also so benefit limited. Roof most important. They have done a loft extension so maybe that is taken care of.
  • elstoof 7 Jun 2019 18:44:40 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lols no chance in fuckery of that much. Iím in a 5 bed late Victorian house, my energy bills are around £2000 per year. A bit of insulation thatís only effective for ~4 months of the year isnít going to drop my usage by 10% when the large majority of the gas I use is for hot water
  • elstoof 7 Jun 2019 18:45:40 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah theyíll promote anything to reduce the carbon footprint but thatís meaningless to your bottom line. Edwardian houses were built to be comfortable in a much colder climate than we have today, without the luxury of central heating. They still work quite well at doing that after all these years

Edited by elstoof at 18:47:20 07-06-2019
  • Technoishmatt 7 Jun 2019 19:08:02 3,508 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I might ask them for actual bill costs. The EPC says it should be £3800 per three years currently. Quite a bit lower than yours. That is for 4/5 bed 2100 sq ft.
  • elstoof 7 Jun 2019 19:17:24 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My place is 210 m2, I think thatís roughly the same. Mid terrace house built in 1902. Energy bills are on a direct debit which comes to around 200 per month with npower.

London though, so thereís the location tax to consider

Edited by elstoof at 19:18:02 07-06-2019
  • Technoishmatt 7 Jun 2019 19:19:48 3,508 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Basically same age and size, yeah, well at least once we have done the side return. I had budgeted 100 a month for the mortgage application.
  • elstoof 7 Jun 2019 19:24:46 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    O work from home though so thereís slightly increased electric usage from that
  • Dougs 7 Jun 2019 19:32:34 90,194 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My bills are £125 for both in a 3/4 bed Victorian semi. WFH 3 days a week. Was significantly more with my previous supplier but have managed to save some
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Jun 2019 19:40:39 6,737 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You don't have all the key making and trophy engraving stuff on all day though
  • mrpon 7 Jun 2019 19:41:22 35,384 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mrs Dougs got knitting needles for Christmas I hear.
  • elstoof 7 Jun 2019 20:03:08 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    You don't have all the key making and trophy engraving stuff on all day though
    Since you stopped winning your office hockey fridays so often I donít have so many trophyís to engrave :-(
  • GuybrushFreepwood 7 Jun 2019 21:18:13 1,259 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Almost had a full on panic attack today thanks to work weíre having done on our bathroom. Itís been going on two weeks now and Iíd been let off work early as Iíve been working long hours. Obviously I went shopping on the way home so got home knackered.

... to be confronted by the plumber telling me the tiles Iíd bought were the worst heíd ever used and theyíd soaked the grout into them and he couldnít clean it off. The place looked a mess and heíd said heíd been trying to clean it for 7 hours.

I rang the place I got them from and they said my plumber was a muppet and hadnít cleaned them right. Plumber was pissed and I was piggy in the middle. I then researched it, rang the tile centre back after the plumber had gone and asked my options. Apparently I needed brick acid and they get a call like mine every month.

Went round the shops unable to find it with my phone dying and starting to panic. Nearly ended up with a full on panic attack ( as I said work has been hard anyway).

Finally got something that sounded similar to what I needed and got home and tried it. I ď thinkĒ it is working. I bloody hope so.

Means Iíll be spending most of the weekend getting acid burns as I try and carefully scrub each tile clean. Not quite the weekend break I desperately need, but least I avoided the melt down. Houses...
  • elstoof 7 Jun 2019 21:19:47 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Donít let the plumber do your tiling!
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 Jun 2019 06:34:39 1,259 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Donít let the plumber do your tiling!
    Plumber / builder. Heís ďdone over 300 bathrooms and can build an entire houseĒ apparently...

He can also moan a lot and is not so hot on cleaning tiles.

Anyway, new day and Iíll see what I can sort.
  • Psiloc 8 Jun 2019 10:01:35 5,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I remember getting gloss all over the new porous bathroom tiles at our old house and pouring myself a glass of whiskey and sitting in the dark waiting for the wife to return home
  • elstoof 8 Jun 2019 10:13:34 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    To be fair, the tile shop shouldíve told you what you needed and tried to sell you the correct cleaning product for the chosen tiles
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 Jun 2019 19:22:02 1,259 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Knackered.com

Cleaned every tile and it looks like a bathroom again. Will need to spend a couple of hours at least tomorrow cleaning all the bits that a good drying out show I missed, but think I broke the back of it.

Hopefully loads wonít appear back in the morning!
  • GuybrushFreepwood 11 Jun 2019 12:46:23 1,259 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Oh fwiw, the builder admitted it was his mistake. Apparently he was using a new type of sponge which heíd already had problems with. Heís thanked me profusely since as I managed to sort everything. Who needs a weekend?
  • askew 11 Jun 2019 13:44:25 19,743 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ! Hope he knocks a few quid off your billÖ
  • consignia 12 Jun 2019 20:22:58 1,481 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not heard anything from either estate agents or solitictors for over 3 weeks now. Is this normal? Is it worth giving someone a nudge. Last thing I heard was that the people I'm buying off where getting there mortgage valuation done.
  • mrpon 12 Jun 2019 21:15:39 35,384 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Absolutely, worth nudging once a week imo, check everything is ticking along, whether they need anything from you etc..

I've exchanged contracts (woop) complete on 15th July.
  • freddymercurystwin 18 Jul 2019 11:05:47 1,726 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So a question, is there an advantage or a disadvantage to using the same agent for selling your house as well as buying your house? Or maybe neither? I think I am erring towards either an advantage or no disadvantage as it removes a cog in the process.

Let's assume that you would have been happy to use this agent to sell your own house irrespective of the fact that they happen to be the agents selling the house you wish to buy.

I live in a small town, there's a reasonable chance this scenario is likely to happen anyway so in that respect there may be little choice in the matter but curious as to others opinions.
  • Technoishmatt 31 Jul 2019 19:05:06 3,508 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yay, we have exchanged! Keys in three weeks.

What a fun process. Two surveys, checking the searches (found anomalies), buying a bunch of the vendor's furniture, having to get tax advice, writing wills, spending 25 minutes on phone to do a chaps payment for the deposit, solicitor realising at last minute they had not sent us the mortgage deed to sign.

Still to check we have enough insurance, eek! And that tax bill will hurt.
  • consignia 5 Aug 2019 20:55:11 1,481 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh man this is so frustrating. I'm nearly 5 months after offer being accepted, and I'm still waiting on things to happen. My solicitor is an evasive one, I can never seem to get hold of her, but when I do it's "Just got a few more searches to do". I've apparently got a completion date of the 13th August, but I've not had any paper work yet, and apparently there's one last enquiry outstanding, so who knows if we'll make that, and the sellers are going on holiday for three weeks after that. I've arranged bugger all in terms of house insurance yet, so it's going be a load crap to do once I do get the nod.

Please someone tell me my situation isn't unique.

Sorry for the rant.
  • Technoishmatt 5 Aug 2019 21:57:33 3,508 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Searches shouldn't take that long. Anything turn up in earlier searches or survey?

The bit at the end before exchange was a lot of last minute things needing doing across the chain.

Do you mean exchange is on the 13th? No paper work at all? You will have had the mortgage contract, solicitors contract and questionnaire and the deed thing to sign. If it is like the exchange I just went thru.

Our solicitor sent us stuff as it was done. He had to go back and check one thing with the council that I noticed - they had said our house was in a conservation area, but it should have been just outside it.

Buildings insurance shouldn't take long, it was wills that took a while for us to sort out.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 5 Aug 2019 22:01:08 1,259 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It does seem to go on forever and they do seem to forget things until the last minute and it never seems like it will finish. 12 weeks seems to be he minimum it will take if there is no chain and youíve nothing in the solicitor, so I guess 5 months isnít too terrible. It isnít too great either though.

I took the view that Iíd make them sick of me if I rang them every day for an update...so thatís just about exactly what Iíd did. I didnít want any last minute surprises.

And congrats Technoishmatt
  • GuybrushFreepwood 5 Aug 2019 22:02:40 1,259 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Buildings insurance takes about 30 minutes online. I didnít have to sort out a Will.
  • Technoishmatt 6 Aug 2019 07:47:18 3,508 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Where is the property? Just saw an article on bbc news that says the average completion time in London is almost 6 months. We will be done in just over 3, so somebody has to do it in 9!

We needed wills as we have unequal shares for tax reasons and had to go for tenants in common instead of joint tenants, which means no automatic inheritance.
  • SnackPlissken 6 Aug 2019 08:51:40 1,137 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So my gas meter has stopped producing readings. I phoned Ovo and they sent out someone to change it for a smart meter. The engineer then looked at my meter and said he can't change it because a wire and a clip needs to be moved and I would need to get an electrician to come out and do it.. or I could do it myself. He said he couldn't do it because he's taken a photo already.
    Now I've had an email from Ovo saying that once I've got an electrician out they can come out again.. like wtf.. surely it's in their interest to fix/replace the meter? I'm not paying for an electrician to come out.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.