Advice on house hunting Page 251

• fontgeeksogood 28 Oct 2019 13:39:57 8,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Would it look really daft keeping it and putting in a pretend fire which doesn't need a flue? They make really convincing ones nowadays, and the thing I learned about renovating was trying to make what you might have perceived as being 'shit' a feature, celebrating it rather than trying to hide it
  • Dougs 28 Oct 2019 13:48:22 92,086 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's more the placement of the chimney tbh. It doesn't really lend itself to keeping it if we want to open it out. I dunno, all options to discuss with the builders/architects I guess.
  • Technoishmatt 28 Oct 2019 14:13:32 3,832 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mrpon nope just one. This is London prices of course.
  • mrpon 25 Nov 2019 12:42:03 35,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Planning approved! \o/ Building/structural regs to sort now.
  • Technoishmatt 25 Nov 2019 13:34:09 3,832 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Our building control came thru past week. Yay. Should be finishing painting this week, then the floors happen week after, then it just be finishing / final coats of paint.

That is a whole week early!!

https://m.imgur.com/PWBZ5Ms

https://imgur.com/a/87Qpa0M

Edit: hilariously, i think the colour of the plaster has flagged the pic as mature.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 13:35:25 25-11-2019
  • Dougs 25 Nov 2019 13:37:40 92,086 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Woop!

Had a builder round to give us a view on the work we want to do. Suggested £2k to remove the middle chimney, add supports in roof and make good the wall and floor between the rooms upstairs. Plumber coming this week to give us a quote for the labour for a new boiler, new bathroom and other bits needed. Once we know those costs we should have an idea if we can afford to do it overall.
  • mrpon 25 Nov 2019 13:41:52 35,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Speaking of boilers, came across this website the other day, can't vouch for it so tread carefully. Seemed fairly comprehensive though from the vid I saw.

https://www.boxt.co.uk/
  • mrpon 11 Dec 2019 10:37:19 35,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any boundary subject matter experts? I want to build up to the boundary but have the guttering overhang slightly. How can I overcome the legalities here? Just after anecdotal evidence here, I'm obviously asking elsewhere.
  • freddymercurystwin 11 Dec 2019 11:15:45 1,867 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Technically, assuming your neighbours do not object you need to get your and you're neighbours deeds revised by a solicitor which will be at your expense.
  • IRWATWO 11 Dec 2019 11:16:36 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    New tactic (to me at least) and caught me out last year, for buyers who are utter utter cunts.

Get list of houses you want down to 2. Offer and agree price on both. Both sellers tell other possible buyers ''sorry sold STC'.

Do surveys on both. When done, haggle down both as much as you want, threaten to pull out if not enough of a reduction. Buy whichever will reduce more.

Works because sellers, once survey done, have dropped other buyers, and likely had survey done on place to buy, so over a barrel, especially if not expecting unreasonableness of that level after survey, and because surveys so cheap compared cost average house.

Survey on my place showed (being v generous) £3K work needed doing, all of which obvious and discussed before sale. They demanded £15k off, pulled out when I disagreed. Other possible buyers had found somewhere else.

I should have known, pair of Telegraph reading Nazis, obvious first time I met them. Far more cautious re buyers next time. Apologies if everyone knows about it, I didn't, cost me house I wanted to buy and about £2k in survey on that place, and fees.
  • Salaman 11 Dec 2019 11:31:59 23,766 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The whole UK house buying and selling system has me baffled on a regular basis even though I sort of know how mental it is by now.

I sold my house in Belgium last week.
    I put an ad online on the 1st of October.
    I received responses from 5 genuine interested buyers, 2 scammers and 3 or 4 estate agents.

On October 5, 3 of the interested buyers were supposed to view the place. 1 cancelled a few hours prior.

On October 7, both people that viewed the place contacted me, one to tell me she wasn't going to make an offer and keep searching, one to make an offer.

I accepted, we met at a notary on October 15 to sign an agreement to sell/purchase the house subject to mortgage approval from the buyer's bank. The buyer provided a 10% deposit to the notary.

Met again at the notary on December 4, the finalise the sale.

Fairly straightforward process.
    Making an offer is binding. the buyer can't pull out afterwards.
    Accepting an offer is binding, the seller can't pull out afterwards.
    After an offer is accepted, it's put on paper and signed at a notary.
    There's then 3-4 months' time for the notary to pull together information about the house from various sources after which you can normally complete the sale.
  • Technoishmatt 11 Dec 2019 14:30:29 3,832 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It can be that straightforward in UK, except it isnt binding untill exchange.

We were first people to view a house on the Saturday. We put in an offer on Tuesday alongside quite a few others. We increased our bid and our offer was accepted on Thursday.

2.5 months later (three surveys, lots of searches with the council and land registry) we had exchanged and everything was locked in. Got the keys 3 weeks later.

I guess we weren't cunt buyers, though?
  • DJCopa 11 Dec 2019 15:06:15 2,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Any boundary subject matter experts? I want to build up to the boundary but have the guttering overhang slightly. How can I overcome the legalities here? Just after anecdotal evidence here, I'm obviously asking elsewhere.
    Does the Party Wall Notice that you legally have to submit to your neighbours, cover it?

https://www.gov.uk/party-walls-building-works/reaching-agreement-with-neighbours

We didn't end up going to our neighbour's wall, due to a shared drain, but think there was a section where you can put all these bits in writing.

Edited by DJCopa at 15:07:00 11-12-2019
  • Deleted user 11 December 2019 15:47:54
    DJCopa wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Does the Party Wall Notice that you legally have to submit to your neighbours, cover it?

https://www.gov.uk/party-walls-building-works/reaching-agreement-with-neighbours

'

We didn't end up going to our neighbour's wall, due to a shared drain, but think there was a section where you can put all these bits in writing.
    I'm sadly something of an expert. And have had to rereg to answer as you're one of my wife's Pokémon buddies.

When I looked at this house, an annex was built close up to our boundary on our side. neighbor had put up new fencing that went to the side of our annex and left the guttering apparently in their land.

Legal advice later, I confirmed that the annex would not have been allowed to have been built with guttering overhanging the neighbors, so I said to them I needed their fence moving. To sweeten things I paid for half the additional fence (I was going to pay for it all). He did try saying that the boundary was wrong and the guttering was in his land but I pointed out the law wouldn't allow that unless he gave written agreement to basically give up his land.

Tldr. You won't be allowed planning permission to build right up to your boundary normally and you're not allowed to have anything overhanging into your neighbours 'air space'. You also can't allow the draining water to affect their property.
  • mrpon 11 Dec 2019 16:22:10 35,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers Guy! :) Some context, I'm detached the neighbour is detached and they have already completed building works, so the issue about infringing on their airspace should they wish to extend sideways is possibly moot.

So can I speak to them and get their approval in writing to overhang 3-4 inches into their land at the second storey gutter level? I think they'd be accommodating to this, I've already spoken to them about it generally.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2019 18:47:27
    @mrpon you can approach them. Legally they can agree, but they need to think of their mortgage company and their view potentially as the mortgage company could argue that they have lost land and thus value. The mortgage company shouldn't get this anal, but it was something I was warned about.

Hopefully you can talk to them and use common sense and not involve the lawyers. After ten years a new border tends to be accepted.
  • Psychotext 11 Dec 2019 20:21:33 65,947 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Quick update... second Christmas here, still months away from getting everything fixed.

Thanks Barratt.
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2019 14:00:02 5,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Salaman It is mad that ebay has more robust rules than the UK housing market on this area.

Our buyers tried to bring the price down at the last minute because, of all things, there was no off road parking. No shit dickheads, it was the same when you came to view it three months ago. Complete bluster in the end when it was clear I wasn't having any of that
  • monkehhh 12 Dec 2019 22:08:11 5,219 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just remortgaged through an online broker (Habito) and it's been super easy. Pretty much all done through web chat and a reasonably modern website. A lot easier than the 3 hour phone call to Nationwide a few years ago for them to go through the application process, only for the adviser to not 'key it' properly and have to do it all again (after they disappeared on holiday).
  • elstoof 13 Dec 2019 08:41:56 25,119 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Cheers Guy! :) Some context, I'm detached the neighbour is detached and they have already completed building works, so the issue about infringing on their airspace should they wish to extend sideways is possibly moot.

So can I speak to them and get their approval in writing to overhang 3-4 inches into their land at the second storey gutter level? I think they'd be accommodating to this, I've already spoken to them about it generally.
    Thing is if they want to extend or they sell up and the next owner wants to build up to the boundary, your guttering is in the way. Is it a single story extension you’re building? I’ve got an infill extension (terraced house with a sort of side return in the back garden), single story glass roof extension, the guttering is on the roof itself so the wall is up to the limit of the boundary
  • Dougs 13 Dec 2019 09:40:43 92,086 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I have a lingering concern over my neighbour's extension. It is built right up to the boundary line but part of the fence that separates us is on my land. I try not to worry as in theory, if I kicked up a fuss they could remove the fence and be fine. And then I'd have to put a fence up anyway so...
  • Nexus_6 13 Dec 2019 10:12:00 4,471 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    get it done now, rather than later. IF things stay as they are for so long, its much more difficult to get it resolved.
  • mrpon 13 Dec 2019 11:46:28 35,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @elstoof two storey. Essentially it currently looks like this, shit I know hence it being knocked down. The left hand wall is my boundary, so I believe. You can see the guttering has kind of been fudged into the wall, I guess to forego the boundary issue. I could replicate this at second storey level if push came to shove. As mentioned, I'd doubt they would want to extend (again) sideways up to that wall as they'd have no way to access the rear then.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2019 11:47:46
    Dougs wrote:
    I have a lingering concern over my neighbour's extension. It is built right up to the boundary line but part of the fence that separates us is on my land. I try not to worry as in theory, if I kicked up a fuss they could remove the fence and be fine. And then I'd have to put a fence up anyway so...
    That fence becomes the defacto boundary after ten years so when it wants replacing I'd insist on it being put in the correct place. I'd also want to do that the moment the house went up for sale and is also want the neighbors to know that the current fence is not staying there. With mine I got it in writing. It's no guarantee but it helps if you end up in court.

Had to get legal help with my boundary and my parent's as we both had issues.
  • Dougs 13 Dec 2019 11:49:12 92,086 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    get it done now, rather than later. IF things stay as they are for so long, its much more difficult to get it resolved.
    I'm not sure how to resolve it tbh. It's been like this for a couple of years and as I say - technically, there is none of their property on my land. Just the fence which would need to be up one way or another.
  • Dougs 13 Dec 2019 11:50:34 92,086 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @MightyPirate Cheers. The fence can't move because of a drain. Sigh. It's made more difficult in that they are friends etc.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2019 11:57:10
    @mrpon just speak to them. All for something in writing ideally so they can't turn round half way through the build and deny everything. End of the day they are technically losing 5' or so (1/2' * 10' ish) and as one of my lawyers said, do you really care that much about 5'?... Especially when in this case it's 10' that's in the air.

If they're not happy then go for an inbuilt gutter or a slightly smaller extension.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2019 12:02:28
    Dougs wrote:
    @MightyPirate Cheers. The fence can't move because of a drain. Sigh. It's made more difficult in that they are friends etc.
    Then just accept it. As I said replying to mrpron, I was told the mortgage company are unlikely to care less and all that mattered in the end of the day was how I felt.

I got on reasonably with my neighbors so approached them and thankfully they were great about it. It's only enclosing about 10" of land extra for me but it means my guttering and eaves are in my land and no one can kick a ball against my wall. That was what stupidly bothered me more than anything else and in my case I couldn't stop worrying about it ( but then I have an anxiety problem anyway! 🙂;)
  • Dougs 13 Dec 2019 12:20:06 92,086 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aye. That's kind of where we are - it's about 3 or 4 inches for about 2m of the garden. It may only be a problem if we wanted to extend - but we can't afford that at the moment anyway.
  • mrpon 13 Dec 2019 12:45:46 35,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For me the 5" determines whether I can get a car in the garage or not.

All good advice though, cheers all.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.