Advice on house hunting Page 252

• fontgeeksogood 13 Dec 2019 12:50:17 10,023 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I could lose five inches without it being a big deal but you know not everyone is as #blessed
  • JamboWayOh 13 Dec 2019 12:51:10 20,053 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Calling innuendobot to the thread!
  • mrpon 13 Dec 2019 13:07:19 36,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood partner only got a small car?
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Dec 2019 14:46:36 10,023 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am the car, NO GARAGE STUFF
  • Velocityraptor 14 Dec 2019 14:38:57 29 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Long time lurker and have occasionally read this thread/tried to learn from others experience.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I'm planning on buying a flat as a first time buyer. Cost is 330K. The limit for purchasing outside of London and getting a help to buy isa bonus is 250k.

As I'm buying with my partner and am only paying half the cost, does this make me able to claim the help to buy bonus?
  • monkehhh 14 Dec 2019 16:24:23 5,229 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Velocityraptor nope, it's based on the full sale price of the property.
  • Velocityraptor 15 Dec 2019 07:34:33 29 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks!

Bit annoyed about that, been putting into it for 4 years, but I guess at least I don't lose anything.
  • Technoishmatt 15 Dec 2019 08:19:50 4,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You will get the first time buyer stamp duty relief, right?
  • Technoishmatt 4 Jan 2020 21:25:10 4,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok folks, things are finally done. We moved in a few days ago, just before New Year! Only 4 months after completion.

Have a before (ish) and after:

https://m.imgur.com/PWBZ5Ms

https://imgur.com/a/GHDi0Di

Edited by Technoishmatt at 21:26:16 04-01-2020
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Feb 2020 19:07:00 10,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Man buying a house ducking sucks

So far we have sold our house twice
    Had an offer accepted on 2 houses - the first were scumbags who just sat on our offer until we lost our buyer without making any effort to find somewhere. Now our latest offer has been deemed £20k too high by the mortgage lender and we have been told to reduce the price we are paying :/ the seller obviously disagrees with this
  • Technoishmatt 11 Feb 2020 19:28:23 4,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 you mean that the lender thinks you are paying too much? Or wont give you enough in mortgage?
  • Dougs 12 Feb 2020 08:43:57 94,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Assume it's the former.

Slow going with our internal redevelopment. Structural engineer is drawing up the plans and working out the supports needed for when we remove a central chimney breast and wall to have an open kitchen/diner. Looks like it's going to need to be done in 2 phases though, as we can't afford to move the downstairs bathroom and get a new kitchen as well as the building work. Turns out builders are fucking expensive!
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Feb 2020 08:48:21 10,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Technoishmatt Lender thinks we are paying too much, mortgage advisor has said that if we continue at that price we will suffer a financial penalty (because mortgage provider doesn't want a house it will lose money on if we default).

Pretty much means we will need the seller to agree a drop in price or we don't continue with the sale.
  • mrpon 12 Feb 2020 08:58:48 36,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Work is progressing nicely here, party award sorted (eventually), new boiler relocated to allow me to stay in the house, old boiler decommissioned, protective boarding goes up this week and demolition starts next week.

Excited!
  • Technoishmatt 12 Feb 2020 09:22:09 4,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 ah so it thinks it might already be near negative equity? Guess they had an independent evaluation done?

Our lender did one and it hilariously came out at exactly our offer, of which the last three digits made up our wedding anniversary date, so it was amazingly precise :p

We ended up having to increase our deposit as our lender wouldnt give us what we expected, supposedly due to our credit score (not our income). I assume that was because we didnt have much as we hadn't borrowed before and had just lived abroad as well for 4 years.
  • Alastair 12 Feb 2020 11:26:14 24,272 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    We've been muttering about moving for several months now. Only practical step taken so far was to remortgage onto a deal with no redemption penalties, in anticipation of moving.

Spotted a house I quite like the look of on Zoopla the other day. So I guess the first step is to go take a look at it.

It's 16 years since we did anything in the housing game so I'm bound to have forgotten stuff. Like, quite how bad the stamp duty charge is going to be...
    And, how long we are going to have to wait to get a buyer for this house...
    And, how much effort to put in smartening it up a bit, just before the new buyer rips stuff out/redecorates...
  • Load_2.0 12 Feb 2020 11:36:04 31,893 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Ok folks, things are finally done. We moved in a few days ago, just before New Year! Only 4 months after completion.

Have a before (ish) and after:

https://m.imgur.com/PWBZ5Ms

https://imgur.com/a/GHDi0Di
    Looks great!

Well Jell of all that space! I have been looking at house options (and daydreaming about the renovations) but decided as it's just me an apartment is the better option.

I am just so lazy that my grand plans would probably grind to a halt after the first few weeks of habitation.
  • Technoishmatt 12 Feb 2020 12:07:01 4,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Load_2.0 we had the work done before we moved in. Since we have moved in the grand total of what I have done is to put on two new door knobs and put up two blinds. It's embarrassing.
  • Zomoniac 13 Feb 2020 13:52:19 10,232 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Next doorís for sale sign has just changed to a sold sign. Iím officially terrified.
  • mrpon 13 Feb 2020 13:55:38 36,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Handy link
  • DJCopa 13 Feb 2020 14:34:47 2,316 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Assume it's the former.

Slow going with our internal redevelopment. A structural engineer is drawing up the plans and working out the supports needed for when we remove a central chimney breast and wall to have an open kitchen/diner. Looks like it's going to need to be done in 2 phases though, as we can't afford to move the downstairs bathroom and get a new kitchen as well as the building work. Turns out builders are fucking expensive!
    We finished similar just before Christmas. End of June start, but they had to move shared drains, which added to time and cost, but meant we had the space we wanted.

All I can say is, it has transformed our family life for the better, so hang in there!

We went underfloor heating, which wasn't that much when compared to extra radiator fitting and is amazing slipping into slippers that are toasty!
  • elstoof 13 Feb 2020 14:39:04 25,870 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Alastair wrote:

It's 16 years since we did anything in the housing game so I'm bound to have forgotten stuff.
    Practically a first time buyer after that long
  • Dougs 13 Feb 2020 15:05:51 94,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DJCopa wrote:

We finished similar just before Christmas. End of June start, but they had to move shared drains, which added to time and cost, but meant we had the space we wanted.

All I can say is, it has transformed our family life for the better, so hang in there!

We went underfloor heating, which wasn't that much when compared to extra radiator fitting and is amazing slipping into slippers that are toasty!
    Ta! It's all such a nightmare trying to pin down costs. Sadly we are £15-20k short of doing anything more than getting rid of the chimney, new boiler, bifold doors and a quick lick of paint/plaster but it'll get the space (and light) that we want. The nice shiny new downstairs toilet and shower room, and kitchen will have to wait

Edited by Dougs at 15:32:10 13-02-2020
  • DJCopa 13 Feb 2020 15:31:13 2,316 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, it does gobble up the cash. We had some money come our way (not in a nice way) so put it into the house.

The work you have planned will make a difference none the less, and that's what it's all about! Good luck :)
  • Alastair 13 Feb 2020 15:31:38 24,272 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Alastair wrote:

It's 16 years since we did anything in the housing game so I'm bound to have forgotten stuff.
    😊
    We have a viewing booked for Saturday..
  • Dirt3 13 Feb 2020 18:19:52 1,043 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Alastair wrote:

😊
    We have a viewing booked for Saturday..
    The things I would check now in retrospect :)

Doors. make sure they are all good and strong.
    Loft. have a good peek round. If a place has a good loft that can be converted it adds value. Plus check for leaks.
    Bathrooms. Are the showers good or a miserable trickle what is the water temp like.
    Boiler. What sort of shape is that in, how old.
    Radiators. Are they leaking or rusty round the valves.
    garden fences, are they rotten or decent.
    Tiles check for cracks.
    Has the previous occupant done anything insane to the place that will be hard to deal with. for example my previous occupant pasted sandpaper on the wall in the downstairs cloakroom to a height of 2ft (don't ask). It was a pain to remove and stank.
    Plus about 1 billion other things.
  • Dougs 13 Feb 2020 18:42:31 94,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Some good pointers there.
  • Alastair 13 Feb 2020 19:47:28 24,272 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Thanks user Dirt3. :)

Also some things to think about my own house..!!
    The boiler in this place must be well over 20 years, but still going strong.

I do remember when we were looking at houses all those years ago going to see one place, and we could tell within about 10 sec that we weren't interested. It was fucking awful - owned by an only semi-competent DIYer...
    And then there was the place where they had a porch and took out the front door and a bit of wall in order to extend the hall into the porch space. Urgh!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.