Advice on house hunting Page 254

• Nexus_6 2 Mar 2020 17:03:37 4,879 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If he's meaning the slats then thats the timber that holds the tiles or slates up. Moisture getting to these regularly will have them rotting, if they're old style, non-treated timbers.

I'm not totally familiar with english construction for roofs, it's one of those things that varies quite a bit north to south, but the battens are a fucker if they rot.

The advantage might be that its localised to a few of them.

Remember as well that its only the timber that needs replace - any competent contractor will be keeping the slates, re-doing the battens etc and putting the same slates back up, so keeping your costs down (they have to take them down and take others back up anyway so they can't fuck you for cash that way)
  • Nexus_6 2 Mar 2020 17:09:58 4,879 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    And why don't you have 6 grand?
  • EMarkM 2 Mar 2020 21:38:28 4,922 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    My attic is actually a room where I have my sofa, telly and games etc so can't afford to let one of those bastards in here!
    And, long story short, this is roughly why there wasn’t a happy ending to that other conversation you and I were halfway through, before all the really bad “life got in the way” stuff happened at this end.

The Sinclair and Amiga stuff I was going to bring over for you got rain damaged in the old garage :(

Good luck with yours, my friend.
  • Dirt3 2 Mar 2020 21:48:20 984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just had a new back door fitted.

Seriously pleased with it. Excellent door. Guy made a great job of fitting it. Looks great.
  • fontgeeksogood 2 Mar 2020 21:57:28 9,491 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Joanna Lumley had to have one of those
  • Dirt3 2 Mar 2020 22:11:55 984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hope she's as pleased with hers as I am with mine.
  • quadfather 3 Mar 2020 10:08:17 36,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    My attic is actually a room where I have my sofa, telly and games etc so can't afford to let one of those bastards in here!
    And, long story short, this is roughly why there wasn’t a happy ending to that other conversation you and I were halfway through, before all the really bad “life got in the way” stuff happened at this end.

The Sinclair and Amiga stuff I was going to bring over for you got rain damaged in the old garage :(

Good luck with yours, my friend.

Aw that's a shame, sorry to hear that. Bugger!
  • quadfather 3 Mar 2020 10:09:29 36,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    If he's meaning the slats then thats the timber that holds the tiles or slates up. Moisture getting to these regularly will have them rotting, if they're old style, non-treated timbers.

I'm not totally familiar with english construction for roofs, it's one of those things that varies quite a bit north to south, but the battens are a fucker if they rot.

The advantage might be that its localised to a few of them.

Remember as well that its only the timber that needs replace - any competent contractor will be keeping the slates, re-doing the battens etc and putting the same slates back up, so keeping your costs down (they have to take them down and take others back up anyway so they can't fuck you for cash that way)
    Yeah he suggested pretty much that (using the existing tiles) so it's something to think about. It'll have to wait for a) cash and b) decent weather for starters. I'm not overly fussed about it at the moment
  • Nexus_6 3 Mar 2020 11:11:35 4,879 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good! I get a bit stressed about the bad weather and the effect it has on the house so keen to not have others stressing.
    If you're relaxed you can get a better price by being flexible when you get it done. Get someone that wants to fill a gap in orders during the blazing summer for example....
  • quadfather 3 Mar 2020 12:36:14 36,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I'm the same really.

Also, I managed to get them to clear the gutters free of charge while they were up there. So it was £60 and a pint each. Bargain really :)
  • Baihu1983 3 Mar 2020 16:09:16 12,237 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lived in Hertfordshire all my life but looks like I'll be leaving. Rip off!

300k gets you a house squashed between others, road parking and a small garden.

Move an hour north? 3+ bedrooms, drive, garden plus plenty more for anywhere between 220-300k and nicer areas a lot of the time.
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Mar 2020 16:17:48 9,926 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Lived in Hertfordshire all my life but looks like I'll be leaving. Rip off!

300k gets you a house squashed between others, road parking and a small garden.

Move an hour north? 3+ bedrooms, drive, garden plus plenty more for anywhere between 220-300k and nicer areas a lot of the time.
    Yes... I am finding hertfordshire to be quite expensive right now £400k for a house in hertford :(
  • quadfather 3 Mar 2020 16:24:50 36,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As an equivalent example, my house oop north, £130k gets you a 2 up, 2 down with a lower downstairs room, and a converted attic, off road parking and a garden. Admittedly, there is an unadopted road between the house and the garden but that's just random - not all like that obviously.

Oh and a fucked roof, don't forget that :)
  • Technoishmatt 3 Mar 2020 18:56:24 4,033 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Technoishmatt 3 Mar 2020 18:56:24 4,033 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Meanwhile in London....
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Mar 2020 19:38:40 9,491 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The reason the north is cheap is because its shit
  • elstoof 3 Mar 2020 19:59:03 25,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What’s the prices like in north Canada
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Mar 2020 20:10:00 9,491 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Same principle applies. Nobody wants to live there, so it's cheap af
  • EMarkM 3 Mar 2020 20:11:33 4,922 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    But think of the snowballing...
  • elstoof 3 Mar 2020 20:28:30 25,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Isn’t that what caused Joanna Lumley to need a new back door
  • EMarkM 4 Mar 2020 07:36:57 4,922 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :D
  • quadfather 4 Mar 2020 09:23:09 36,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nobody wants to live in Canada? Christ, I would.
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2020 17:18:33 36,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here's one for all house alarm people

I've got a wired house alarm with motion sensors. When I moved in and took the electric down the alarm went off. So I got a new battery.

1.5 years later (now) I was in a particular room (the sex dungeon/music studio for those in the know) which has a motion sensor.

Was playing some guitar when the internal alarm went off. Put guitar down and went to check the alarm panel, which said "tamper".

Odd, as there's just me in the house, all doors are shut and locked and the alarm isn't set anyway.

Reset it and ensured it was still unset and went downstairs to play music again. 10-25 minutes later, it does it again. So I go through the same rigmarole. As I was out of my head, I just left it and thought I'd deal with it later.

So tonight I'm going to try again and see what happens but I was trying to think what could have made this particular sensor freak out. None of the others ever have and it must be a dicky thing going on as the alarm isn't set.

The only thing I can think of is that I had some electric plugs spurred off to provide more electric into this downstairs room. and a fridge is connected to the sockets which occasionally (we're talking 1 in 100 times) the click of the refrigeration unit sometimes interferes with the monitor speakers. But the fridge has been there for over a year and hasn't triggered the motion sensor.

Everything's been absolutely fine for months and months and the alarm has never gone off.

So what's that shit about then?
  • Trowel 15 Mar 2020 17:22:40 23,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Do you have it serviced annually (bearing in mind that's usually a condition of including it against your home insurance)? If so just get a call out.
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2020 17:32:28 36,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Probably not. I generally just get on with stuff as it happens. I suppose I could enquire but I just wondered if anyone else had come across this?
  • TheSaint 15 Mar 2020 23:53:30 19,474 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I never realised we had such a strong Hertfordshire contingent on EG.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Mar 2020 02:28:49 23,529 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am now looking for an apartment to buy. It is... quite possibly not the best time to be looking, but I'm stubborn like that.
  • quadfather 16 Mar 2020 08:37:42 36,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alarm seems fine now. Weird.
  • souvlaki 16 Mar 2020 09:00:01 1,015 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm Hertfordshire as well but am planning on going back to Manchester this year - I got my place valued on Friday but with this virus I may put my plans on hold for a while.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.