Advice on house hunting Page 256

• souvlaki 31 Mar 2020 10:40:28 1,114 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Once the lenders get back to wanting to make money and so offering more mortgages again then surely all this will spring back?

Everyone was waiting until after Brexit and then the market went crazy around where I live - and people being stuck at home now will mean that they start thinking of needing a bigger or smaller place, divorces will rocket and so more houses required etc.

Of course, this could be wishful thinking on my part as I want to move back up north and cash in.
  • Dirt3 31 Mar 2020 11:16:09 1,350 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    House prices are generally driven by how much bankers are willing to lend.

How much bankers are willing to lend is generally driven by how much money they think people have. And since the coronavirus shutdown will take masses of money out of peoples hands its unlikely that house prices are going to go up in the near future.

My guess is prices down south will fall further than those up north, because they have further to fall. Prices in the south were already ridiculous with people stretching themselves crazy amounts and relying on the bank of mum and dad to get on the ladder, they are hardly likely to go up more when a massive slug of activity is removed from the economy.

The good news is I think if you are thinking of going up north your southern price would have to fall by a hell of a lot for you to not be able to make that transition. Unless you are thinking of going from a 1 bed flat to a castle or something.
  • ZuluHero 31 Mar 2020 12:16:28 9,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    @ZuluHero

Your biggest problem will be getting the mortgage. Lenders are pulling mortgage products like crazy. I hear Nationwide are temporarily pulling everything above 75% LTV.
    Nope, spoke to my mortgage advisor today as they tried to get me to pay my product fee. Cynically I thought they are trying to get me locked in at a higher rate before it drops.

My LTV is about 60%.
  • ZuluHero 31 Mar 2020 12:19:51 9,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also I'm porting my existing mortgage, this is a 2nd mortgage on top.
  • ZuluHero 31 Mar 2020 12:20:40 9,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    When I last looked, they hadn't even passed on the drop to 0.25%.
    Nope :(
  • Deleted user 31 March 2020 12:46:45
    Completed and moving stuff in as we speak. Gotta keep distance from removal dudes.
  • elstoof 31 Mar 2020 13:05:51 26,655 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Toying with the idea of selling up and fucking off again, the way Britainís dealt with the whole crisis throughout society just makes me despair
  • souvlaki 31 Mar 2020 13:28:32 1,114 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Toying with the idea of selling up and fucking off again, the way Britainís dealt with the whole crisis throughout society just makes me despair
    But it is all the foreigns fault, where would you go :p
  • elstoof 31 Mar 2020 14:35:31 26,655 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thatís the problem really, thereís too many British cunts in anywhere half decent. Less than here at least
  • souvlaki 31 Mar 2020 15:14:54 1,114 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I moved to Greece once and ended up returning in part as the British over there were far worse than the ones (like myself) who I interact with daily in the UK.
  • mrpon 25 Jun 2020 10:21:58 36,760 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A big fuck off 8m steel beam is being installed today! \o/

Must.Stop.Watching.Webcam
  • Psychotext 25 Jun 2020 11:20:14 69,296 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Work starts again next week on fixing this shithole.

Amusingly Barratt head office seem have no idea that the rules regarding COVID-19 are different between Wales and England. The area director has spent ages having to argue with them on it.
  • Dirt3 25 Jun 2020 13:55:53 1,350 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mrpon wrote:

Is this for a loft conversion ?

Been thinking about one of those.
  • mrpon 25 Jun 2020 15:20:27 36,760 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nah, side and rear two storey extension.
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 07:43:40 14,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Starting to think about converting the garage. I really wanted an extra room to use as an office / gaming room / kids play room and also a downstairs toilet. Moving is far too expensive and stressful and I reckon I could do the garage conversion for what Iíd probably end up paying in stamp duty to upsize (c. £15k).

Anyone here done one? Any tips? Iíve no idea where to start! We are Ďlink detachedí so the back part of garage is connected to the neighbours but none of the living space is. Not sure if that will cause any issues with permission.
  • elstoof 26 Jun 2020 08:42:31 26,655 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Look on your councilís website for previous planning applications, someoneís probably done it already so youíll be able to see their submission and drawings etc and what resistances they faced, if any.

Also maybe consider building an outhouse in the garden, depending on space you have. You can build a fucking massive shed for 15k without any planning required

Edited by elstoof at 08:45:25 26-06-2020
  • elstoof 26 Jun 2020 08:43:13 26,655 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mrpon wrote:

Finally be able to mount ďThe SwingĒ
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 09:18:50 14,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @elstoof

Unfortunately not enough space in the garden.

Thanks for the tips though.
  • Dirt3 26 Jun 2020 09:31:43 1,350 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Checking the planning portal before you move to a place is also useful to see which neighbours are at war with each other as they have denied each others extensions.

Three things I checked before I moved were flood maps, tpos and planning portala. Checking out those before hand can save you some cash on bothering with conveyancing if one of them turns out to be dodgy.
  • ZuluHero 26 Jun 2020 09:36:31 9,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @robc84 Link-detached is always a bit of a buzz-word with estate agents and to help increase a properties value and desirability.

That said, if you do convert it, I think then you will be definitely classed as Semi-Detached, as the main criteria seems to be, 2 habitable spaces of 2 different properties next to one another.

This is sometimes detrimental, as I've read about instances where neighbours block each other or cause grief to one another in an attempt to preserve their 'detached' status. Being semi-detached can also affect what your home is worth.

The actual conversion shouldn't be too bad, but there are certain things to bear in mind, like most garages are built single skin, as they don't need to be insulated for cars and such, so you will lose a good chunk of the foot print to add and extra layer to the walls.

Also roofs might need to be looked at, as again, there will be no insulation, might need additional support and often build from cheaper or more hazardous materials.
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 09:45:50 14,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ZuluHero

Yeah thatís my main concern. We are on the end and the next two are semi detached. If I convert to living space I guess that technically makes us end terrace and then mid terrace. Which could be a problem.
  • Technoishmatt 26 Jun 2020 09:48:47 4,891 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't think he will normally need planning permission for a garage conversion that doesn't add floorspace? Wouldn't it be permitted development?

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/25/garage_conversion

So, just building regs.
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 09:50:50 14,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I could potentially convert a small part of the garage to make a downstairs toilet and extend across on to of the existing kitchen extension. But Iím guessing they didnít dig the footings deep enough so it will no doubt be far more expensive even if it can be done
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 09:53:21 14,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is a decent estate agent in town so I may give them a call to get a view on the potential effect on property values.
  • Dirt3 26 Jun 2020 09:56:16 1,350 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    I could potentially convert a small part of the garage to make a downstairs toilet and extend across on to of the existing kitchen extension. But Iím guessing they didnít dig the footings deep enough so it will no doubt be far more expensive even if it can be done
    Have you thought about loft conversion ?

In a detached that is generally more easy as you would have no party wall agreement and it would probably come under permitted development.

I don't know your layout, but maybe you could make a downstairs bog by chopping off the back of the garage and get your other space upstairs.
  • mrpon 26 Jun 2020 09:59:09 36,760 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @robc84 I went through similar-ish. I'm detached, but my existing garage external wall was built right on the boundary line. The plan was to knock it down, put in foundation work for two storey, then rebuild ideally on the same footprint. Cue lots of chin stroking about gutters/soil pipes overhanging the neighbours boundary etc.. I had to get a party wall award setup (circa £1500) as will you no doubt and eventually decided to bring in my external wall 6 inches to accommodate the above. I'd suggest getting the neighbours onside quickly and speak to a party wall surveyor. Good luck.
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 10:05:16 14,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dirt3

I guess Iíd have to lose a bedroom for the staircase though. Unless I can use the space above the kitchen extension without the need for additional footings.

Iím guessing a loft extension is a bit more costly as well.
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 10:09:30 14,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mrpon

Thatís useful info, thanks. On good terms with the neighbours so would definitely talk to them in advance. I think they key thing will be effect on property prices. I donít want to do something that would have an adverse effect on mine or any neighbours property value.
  • Dirt3 26 Jun 2020 10:34:04 1,350 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @robc84

You'd be surprised how creative people can be with staircases. You can get spiral ones that take up hardly any space, and when I looked at my place they pointed out I way of doing it that I had never thought of.

But staircases are subject to building regs, so you need to get someone to look over it. You have to have certain height clearances etc.

I think re cost, it depends on what you want. Obviously if you want to stick a bathroom, dormer windows etc up there then it is going to be pricey. But OTOH sometimes assuming that things are going to be expensive before checking them out can be a mistake. It shouldn't be too much hassle to get someone in and give you a ballpark price.
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 10:38:03 14,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dirt3

Yeah fair point. Although there is very little space to work with upstairs.

Iíll get someone in I think to look at various options and see what comes up.

Thanks!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.