Advice on house hunting Page 257

Next Last
  • mrpon 26 Jun 2020 10:44:08 36,224 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My quandary now is, because of the above, I'm left with a 2.2m wide by 5m "garage". I ain't getting a car in there and if I am, I ain't getting out of it! So toying with gym scenarios, but still having a garage door might look weird.

Decisions decisions.
  • ZuluHero 26 Jun 2020 10:46:06 8,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think I would opt for a window in that instance - do you need it to be a door of some type?
  • mrpon 26 Jun 2020 10:51:00 36,224 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't "need" it to be door just like the option of having it, but then I need to consider the weather proofing aspect. I think I'm leaning towards a windows tbh.
  • ZuluHero 26 Jun 2020 11:17:08 8,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does your extension make your house double fronted? That can make a house attractive, especially if you make it match the main house.

Also does the front slope away from the house?
  • freddymercurystwin 26 Jun 2020 11:37:04 2,128 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    With regards to garage conversions the age of the property is usually a clue as to whether it's permitted development or not. In (approximately) the last say 20 years, councils have been removing certain PD rights as part of the original planning permission for new developments and these typically include garage conversions. If this applies to your house then planning permission would be required and the criteria the council will typically apply is that they will expect that the garage can only be converted if two off road parking spaces remain or are created after the conversion (even if you can't practically use the existing garage as a parking space). So in the first instance, whoever asked the question originally, needs to consider if they can fit two parking spaces on their driveway (or by modifying the front garden for instance) and find out if their property retains all of it permitted development rights or not.
  • Dirt3 26 Jun 2020 11:47:22 1,016 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have a garage. Integral to the house, there is a door into it.

I was thinking of chopping it in half, but then a car would not get inside.

The resulting front room you with the garage door could use as general storage, for bins, bikes and also bringing large stuff into the house before unpacking and processing. It is useful for that.

The biggest problem I have with it is that the garage door is thermally not very good. so if you set up a room it in then in winter it could get a bit chilly.
  • Psychotext 26 Jun 2020 11:57:49 66,953 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My neighbour has the front of his as a storage area, the rear as a gym (with plasterboard etc). It works pretty well. Obviously you couldn't fit a car in, but no-one uses garages for cars (maybe in London?).

On the garage front... mine is a gym and whilst I'd love to convert it fully and remove the doors, I also know that it's a matter of time before I sell it and move on, so I'd rather they just stay there. Annoyingly I can't just seal them off behind plasterboard as the door mechanism can't be fully removed without removing the doors. :(

I also need a vent added to the roof as it gets stupid hot / humid in there (rusting my tools / weights).
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 13:28:49 14,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin

It was me who asked the original question and we can fit two cars on our drive. Thanks.

Iíll investigate and see where it takes me.
  • freddymercurystwin 26 Jun 2020 13:59:56 2,128 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @robc84 How old is your property? New it might be a problem, if older less likely to be an issue. Anything say pre 1990 will probably retain full PD rights but would still need checking. I think it was around the mid 80's they started doing it and then by say 2000 it was uncommon for it not to be done.
  • elstoof 26 Jun 2020 14:48:58 25,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    My quandary now is, because of the above, I'm left with a 2.2m wide by 5m "garage". I ain't getting a car in there and if I am, I ain't getting out of it! So toying with gym scenarios, but still having a garage door might look weird.

Decisions decisions.
    Get a motorbike or two in there
  • robc84 26 Jun 2020 14:56:12 14,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin

Think it was built in Ď83
  • robc84 29 Jun 2020 20:22:56 14,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a closer look at the next two houses. They are link detached as well (joined by garage) and itís only the back part of our garage that is joined to next door. So hopefully we can do something without adversely affecting property values.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.