Advice on house hunting Page 267

• mrpon 30 Dec 2020 10:07:21 37,082 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bichii I assume you've looked into the government help to buy schemes?
  • Rivuzu 30 Dec 2020 10:10:05 18,417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    We're buying our first property and just had the home buyer survey come back, and I'm not sure what my wiggle room on some things are.

Main issues indicated are that the lean-to extension at the back is rotating away from the house and is generally shoddy, and that the fusebox needs replacing as it's out of date. Should I be asking for a lower price?

I feel like we'd be taking the piss if we did. First viewed in July, put an offer in thinking we'd get the mortgage app sorted quickly enough but with COVID issues the banks wouldn't entertain a meeting/etc for a 90% LTV until October. The sellers accepted the offer immediately and things have continued since then.

What would you lads do? Should I be renegotiating the selling price (£240k) or just let everything continue?
  • Dougs 30 Dec 2020 10:12:55 98,694 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Replacing a fuse box shouldn't be too expensive if the rest of the wiring is ok. Could get a ballpark figure quote and go from there. The lean to is probably more of an issue longer term but also harder to pin down a price reduction unless you know what the fix is, if at all.
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Dec 2020 10:16:43 12,913 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fuseboxes are always out of date. It's a fucking racket. New one (you'll want a consumer unit) is about a grand fitted (was for me about three years ago at least).

As for the lean to - did you already make an offer knowing it was a bit shit?

Ultimately it comes down to if you think it devalues your original price (who knows?) and / or if you're prepared to potentially lose the house over a negotiation which may go poorly.

Sounds like you're unsure. I would never go into a negotiation without being sure
  • elstoof 30 Dec 2020 10:21:36 27,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah depends on how out of date it is, if it’s literally one switch for the entire home then I’d raise it as an issue, but if it just needs more modern type RCDs then I wouldn’t bother, they’re always out of date as PES says. Not sure about the lean to, as they’re not structural you might struggle to get any further than you would haggling over a rotten shed
  • Bichii 30 Dec 2020 10:23:24 4,464 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mrpon yeah I can get all types of mortgages but as a single person with three dependents the only places I can buy are horrible flats in horrible areas. Doesn't matter to the banks I currently pay around twice per month then the maximum mortgage they will give me. It's mental. I do the calculator's and it shows the monthly cost of them and I makes me so mad that I can't borrow loads more when I can clearly afford it.
  • mrpon 30 Dec 2020 10:25:21 37,082 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd try a broker in those circumstances. I had an unusual setup and they sorted a number of great deals for me. Ended up with the Post Office of all places!
  • Tomo 30 Dec 2020 10:35:49 19,180 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Dunno about anyone else, but my mortgage is similar to what the rental cost would be. When you manage to get on the ladder and any equity gains key to getting the mortgage low. I bought my first house quite late and have been playing catch up since. Others who bought in their 20s are in a much better position
    Mortgage costs are significantly lower than monthly rental costs in London. It's so dumb but not surprising for the usual reasons of where the power lies.
  • Technoishmatt 30 Dec 2020 11:07:23 5,071 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Quick look for local rental properties confirms rental is much much much more expensive near me (South London) than mortgage. Closest match was 5 grand pcm...

Of course, if interest rates weren't so low it would be different again!
  • ZuluHero 30 Dec 2020 11:53:20 10,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, my rent is currently £200 more than my mortgage was. Don't want to be stuck here for long. I need to buy something fast.
  • Rivuzu 30 Dec 2020 11:54:41 18,417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Fuseboxes are always out of date. It's a fucking racket. New one (you'll want a consumer unit) is about a grand fitted (was for me about three years ago at least).

As for the lean to - did you already make an offer knowing it was a bit shit?

Ultimately it comes down to if you think it devalues your original price (who knows?) and / or if you're prepared to potentially lose the house over a negotiation which may go poorly.

Sounds like you're unsure. I would never go into a negotiation without being sure
    Cheers for that.

Without knowing fuck all about electrics, what's the best option re: fusebox? Get a sparks round to have a look and go from there?
  • ZuluHero 30 Dec 2020 12:03:58 10,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Estate agents are legally obliged to pass any offer to the vendor

https://www.gov.uk/buy-sell-your-home/estate-agents

They can ask for a deposit, but your refusal to pay one shouldn’t change the law. Report the cunt to the ombudsman.

When I sold my house the agent once called me up embarrassed about an “offer” that he had to inform me of, from some crank who kept offering about 20% of the asking price on every house that came to market. Even sent it in writing, must cost a tidy sum in stamps
    OK, update to this, I phoned up the douchebag and asked him if he did put my offer through. He was surprised I called, as its been a while, but and he said he did, but he also advised his client not to accept the offer unless we paid the 3k.

He's really polite as to be expected, but I could almost hear the shit-eating grin over the phone.

Then he had the nerve to ask if we were still looking and to let him know if he can help.
  • elstoof 30 Dec 2020 12:27:37 27,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sounds like bullshit, he should’ve told you the decision from the vendor at the time if he genuinely did. tell him to put the offer through again if you’re still interested, he just wanted to bluff you into paying free money, in his mind he “wasted his time” on the deal and he missed his commission because the vendor pulled out.

Telling a vendor not to accept an offer unless you pay the agency a deposit up front (which the agency keeps if the deal goes south, nothing goes to the vendor) sounds powerful dodgy. If I was selling and an agent gave me that advice I’d tell them to fuck themselves frankly

Edited by elstoof at 12:34:37 30-12-2020
  • Dougs 30 Dec 2020 12:28:49 98,694 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yes, that. And get it in writing.
  • ZuluHero 30 Dec 2020 13:11:50 10,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's hardly any point, the house was sold months ago, and like I said earlier I don't really have it in me to fight it.

A phonecall only took 3 minutes of my day, to take it any further will be a long and arduous road.

We're viewing a house, in a different area, with a different agency, today. We've also gotten friendly with this agent, so we're seeing it before it goes on rightmove.

Hoping it'll be suitable, I like it a lot on the vr tour.
  • elstoof 30 Dec 2020 13:22:24 27,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah shit, was under the impression it was still on the market. Good luck with the next one
  • ZuluHero 30 Dec 2020 13:33:37 10,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, sorry, I was just regaling what happened to me months ago.
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Dec 2020 14:12:14 12,913 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Rivuzu yep. They'll obvs know the regs. They'll check the whole lot out and give you options (if they're any good) and recommendations. Keep in mind what you might have as future needs (if anything) is a good tip. When I got mine changed a few years back it was in part to support an EV charging point
  • ZuluHero 31 Dec 2020 01:06:20 10,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    House we saw today was no good, one amazing sized main bedroom and 2 good size singles. Really we're looking for 2 doubles and a box room.

Also only had one toilet, when we're looking for 2, we thought we might have been able to fit one in, but there wasn't really the scope.

Oh well...
  • elstoof 31 Dec 2020 10:22:21 27,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Would the folks here take the opportunity to get out of U.K. in the next year or so if they could?
  • ZuluHero 31 Dec 2020 10:31:52 10,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My industry let's me work all over the world, but my partner won't let me.

I think I would take a change, but it's harder with a family in tow.

Also travelling back to see family and stuff isn't very easy at the moment, so that would be a factor too.
  • Tomo 31 Dec 2020 10:32:07 19,180 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yes, but it's an impossibility for me.
  • askew 31 Dec 2020 10:34:09 23,117 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Would the folks here take the opportunity to get out of U.K. in the next year or so if they could?
    Yes: even got my Irish passport to make this a touch easier.
  • TechnoHippy 31 Dec 2020 10:38:43 18,913 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Depends on where the offer is?
  • ibenam 31 Dec 2020 10:43:28 3,385 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm out of this country once the kids are a bit older

Off to Malaysia where I can get a rooftop apartment with a pool for a pittance.
  • Dougs 31 Dec 2020 10:56:39 98,694 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Yes but not in the short term. Sadly I am a bit long in the tooth to start over so really relying on a pay off from work in 10 years, then I might be able to manage it.
  • elstoof 31 Dec 2020 12:03:34 27,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It’s been in the back of my mind since the vote really, I had taken some comfort in the belief that sensible minds would take control of things eventually but we just keep doubling down on stupidity. Covid has slowed down things for me work wise so it’s as good a time as any to cash in and emigrate, thinking mainly about my children’s futures tbh and what sort of place this is going to be after the next 10 years of tories as they become adults. They’ve basically had no eduction for the last year as it is thanks to inadequate school funding
  • ZuluHero 31 Dec 2020 12:09:04 10,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I kind of get the impression it's similar everywhere, anecdotally from friends living abroad too.

Are you sure it's not a case of "grass is greener"?
  • elstoof 31 Dec 2020 12:11:55 27,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That’s a concern of course, there’s no guarantee anything will be better by moving, and then you’ve lost what you spent all that time building up. All part of the weighing up going on in my head at the moment
  • ZuluHero 31 Dec 2020 12:19:14 10,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Do you already have irons in the fire? How easy would it be to move back if you found it wasn't what you thought?

It's a tough decision, made even harder with kids/family. Have you floated it past them yet? What did they think?

Edited by ZuluHero at 12:19:35 31-12-2020
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.