Advice on house hunting Page 269

• robc84 16 Feb 2021 12:33:02 15,080 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ZuluHero 16 Feb 2021 12:53:28 9,792 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So, and this is going to sound a bit Craig David, but we had an offer accepted on Thursday. Mortgage was set up on Friday. Paid for Solicitors search fees on Tuesday (today) and Survey will be happening on Wednesday.

Survey will take about a week to come back, so around the 24th. Presumably the searches will come back within that time.

Note, the house doesn't have a chain, we aren't selling anything.

Fastest I've managed to get a house purchase through was 5 weeks, which didn't have the added pressure of current events.

If everything goes to plan, what do people think my chances are of getting completion done in 4 weeks to get in just before the stamp duty deadline ends?

Note 2, I'm fully prepared to pay the stamp duty, resigned to it really, just interested to hear people's thoughts. It would be nice to save north of 3k though! :)
  • mrpon 16 Feb 2021 13:03:34 36,918 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Depends on both conveyancers pulling their finger out, I'd assume they only have a skeleton staff in the office and the rest WFH. So paper based documents will be delayed I guess. Fingers crossed for Rishi to extend it for you.
  • ZuluHero 16 Feb 2021 13:18:22 9,792 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Our solicitor is just around the corner, and as its a family run firm, they seem to be in office, so we're hand delivering anything we get back to them.

I agree on the mailing of paperwork, that will be the bottleneck, especially as the mail services are delayed in some areas.

As a side note, it's seems quite archaic using an antiquated system these days, it would speed things up considerably to move over to digital signatures and email docs et al.

Edited by ZuluHero at 14:23:16 16-02-2021
  • robc84 19 Feb 2021 09:11:38 15,080 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bit of a random question. I have a manhole cover on my drive which I need to get up. The builders want to look down to see how deep it is and what direction the drains go (we are having a downstairs toilet put in the garage conversion). Unfortunately i don't think it's been lifted 20 odd years and they can't lift it.

They have suggested I call the water supplier and tell them I have blockage, but I don't really want to get them out under false pretenses. What are their responsibilities though? If I was to say I need access to it but it rusted shut, would they need to come out and sort? I'm guessing as it is on my property it's my responsibility. Can't move forward until its up though.
  • Dirt3 19 Feb 2021 10:03:36 1,457 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would be wary of that. I don't know for sure, but don't the water companies charge you for doing stuff like that, or even worse involve the whole street ?

Builders IME aren't shy of using fairly significant force in trying to do stuff like this, but frequently intelligence trumps force :)

Maybe you need to get a tool depending on the type of cover, scrape out round the edges or let some environmentally friendly lubricant (vegetable oil) round the edges ? Or google stuck drain cover and see how someone else lifted the type ?
  • robc84 19 Feb 2021 10:09:05 15,080 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes possibly. When I looked on the website it said if they called for something that isn't their responsibility they will discuss this with you at the time (or something similar), which I assume means tell you off for calling them out and charging you. I was planning to pay to have a drain survey done anyway (About £400 I think), but the builder was saying thats probably a waste of money as he can see what he needs to do if he can lift it up. He did send a couple of guys round with some tools but they didn't have any luck.

I will have a google to see if there are any useful suggestions.
  • muddyyfunster 19 Feb 2021 11:07:27 938 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    So, and this is going to sound a bit Craig David, but we had an offer accepted on Thursday. Mortgage was set up on Friday. Paid for Solicitors search fees on Tuesday (today) and Survey will be happening on Wednesday.

Survey will take about a week to come back, so around the 24th. Presumably the searches will come back within that time.

Note, the house doesn't have a chain, we aren't selling anything.

Fastest I've managed to get a house purchase through was 5 weeks, which didn't have the added pressure of current events.

If everything goes to plan, what do people think my chances are of getting completion done in 4 weeks to get in just before the stamp duty deadline ends?

Note 2, I'm fully prepared to pay the stamp duty, resigned to it really, just interested to hear people's thoughts. It would be nice to save north of 3k though! :)
    Good luck, sounds like you have a reasonably good chance. Thanks to covid, searches are taking a very long time in some places (Wiltshire were quoting 44 working days!) so might be worth checking up on the situation in your area.

We're also hoping to sneak in before the window SLAMS SHUT. In our case we have a first-time buyer buying our flat, and are buying a house from a family who is buying a new build.

We had the offer accepted on 29th Jan then had our mortgage accepted, searches back and building survey done in the first two weeks, so we are really flying along. Our vendors also are going well as their new build is ready, and are just waiting on searches (the LA has a 6wk backlog). Somewhat frustratingly it's our first-time buyer that is moving the most slowly despite having the least to do. I was told by my agent they had seen an agreement in principle from the buyer, prior to accepting their offer, but, they had their mortgage valuation two weeks ago and still haven't actually had their mortgage approved. I'm told the survey was fine and it's just waiting on additional proof of address, but it's concerning that it's taking quite so long. By comparison, ours was approved the morning after the valuation survey.

The three parties in the chain have all agreed we'll still complete should we miss the deadline, but we'll have to pay about £12k in tax, which is not exactly loose change for us.
  • ionic 19 Feb 2021 11:16:27 780 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @robc84 do you have the utility maps from the house searches when buying? The water maps will have the sewer pipe routes on. The maps will colour code what's private and what's adopted by the water authority and whether it's foul or surface water.

Some builders will just connect to the nearest sewer without checking if it's foul or surface water/rainwater. Leading to toilet waste or washing machine suds being discharged to rivers. The local Facebook group had a post the other day on mystery poo at a surface water discharge to the estuary.
  • crashVoodoo 19 Feb 2021 11:19:00 7,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/nonhouseholds/supply-and-standards/responsibility-supply-pipes/

Property owner’s responsibilities
    The drains which carry household waste are normally the property owner’s (or the landlord’s) responsibility up until the boundary of the property where they connect to public sewers. There will often be a company maintained manhole at that point. Your sewerage company will advise you about investigations and help available in the event of blockages or flooding. They may advise you of charges that may apply for carrying out work to private drains.
    Edited by crashVoodoo at 11:19:36 19-02-2021
  • mrpon 19 Feb 2021 12:02:48 36,918 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @robc84 WD40?
  • robc84 19 Feb 2021 12:48:41 15,080 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    @robc84 WD40?
    Assuming they tried this but not sure. I've asked him to see if he can have another go at it, he said is going to try to find someone who can help.

I'm going to see if I can loosen it up a bit over weekend.

Failing that I'll just call the water supplier and ask them if they can help. Guessing they'll charge me for the privilege though
  • robc84 19 Feb 2021 12:51:43 15,080 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ionic

I only have the locations of where the public sewer runs, not for my property. So I know where it runs from my manhole cover to the public, but not where it specifically runs from mine (and how deep it is). I can guess based on the location of the toilet and manhole cover of course. But the builders need to know where to dig and how far down so I know how much its going to cost.
  • Dirt3 19 Feb 2021 13:01:22 1,457 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Worth doing anyway.

The last time you want to be trying to unstick it is when the sewers are jammed up and crap is flowing out of it.
  • robc84 19 Feb 2021 13:08:56 15,080 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha, quite.
  • crashVoodoo 19 Feb 2021 14:12:31 7,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    ... I know where it runs from my manhole ...
    Heh
  • Zomoniac 23 Feb 2021 12:49:48 10,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just got the 67 page survey results back from our new house. I can now exhale for the first time in a while. Summary: "get a boiler and electrics inspection, clear the gutter, you should probably have an extractor in the kitchen, and one of the windows is a bit stiff, otherwise everything is fine, but no you can't convert the loft".

Normally we wouldn't get the crazy (and annoyingly expensive) survey for a 2006 house, but the owner built the extension himself and we needed to know he wasn't some hobbyist amateur. Apparently he's very good at his job, according to the results.

So assuming nothing disastrous pops up we exchange on Monday and move on the 12th!
  • Trowel 23 Feb 2021 13:02:35 24,214 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A nice fixer-upper here, just don't look under the patio.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3695-Primrose-Rd-South-Lake-Tahoe-CA-96150/195374618_zpid/
  • Technoishmatt 23 Feb 2021 14:26:07 4,977 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Like wtf haha I was scrolling wondering what was wrong. Then it hits you :)
  • robthehermit 23 Feb 2021 14:36:00 8,248 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The two story extension on the back of the house we bought was started in 1995 and is still under construction according to the website that knows these things. We had to purchase an indemnity against it falling down and/or being illegal.
  • freddymercurystwin 23 Feb 2021 16:05:01 2,469 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    The two story extension on the back of the house we bought was started in 1995 and is still under construction according to the website that knows these things. We had to purchase an indemnity against it falling down and/or being illegal.
    You know that indemnity was worthless and merely made a little commission for the solicitor right?
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 16:08:13 29,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trowel wrote:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3695-Primrose-Rd-South-Lake-Tahoe-CA-96150/195374618_zpid/
    Not creepy at all.
  • Psiloc 23 Feb 2021 16:29:31 6,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Trowel wrote:

Not creepy at all.
    Fucking hell that just got worse and worse
  • Nexus_6 23 Feb 2021 17:15:05 5,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    the two in the bedroom!
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 17:35:33 29,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the mess everywhere and "sold as is", love to hear the story about what went on.
    "Mannequin psycho makes a run for it"...
  • ZuluHero 23 Feb 2021 18:52:50 9,792 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Got my survey back today too, not so great.

Worst points:
    Extension built over drain run in back.
    Down pipe at back of house empties onto the ground (because the extension cut off drain access, doh!).
    Sinks and bath don't empty into foul drains (naughty).
    Asbestos in an old flue in the attic.
    Damp proof course in ext. isn't high enough above patio, so patio needs to be dug out and lowered.

And heres the kicker, valuation came in at 5k under what we offered.

Myriad other issues, but we were prepared for them.

Time to think.
  • Zomoniac 23 Feb 2021 19:00:01 10,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ouch! Hope you’re able to get a resolution. I’ve been panicking about ours, our vendors are already refusing to comply with the standard “sellers pay for the indemnity” so I was dreading there being anything we had to go back with, so it seems we got pretty lucky.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 19:20:26 98,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That sucks Zulu. Some pretty hefty problems there.
  • Technoishmatt 23 Feb 2021 19:23:35 4,977 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Those are definitely things I would want seller to rectify first / pay for. 5k wouldn't cover it I think!

Seems like a rigorous surveyor.
  • robc84 23 Feb 2021 19:23:56 15,080 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ouch, that’s a lot of shit to deal with.

Had someone else round to try to get the drain cover up today. No luck. Said he’d never seen one like it. Going to have to have a call around and see if there is someone with the tools or machinery to get the bloody thing up. Annoying as I was hoping to have everything booked in by now.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.