Following Advice on house hunting Page 275

• Dougs 30 Mar 2021 19:34:55 99,066 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Nexus_6 yeah, cavity wall insulation is a bane for older properties. See also double glazing. We get black spot mold from condensation but usually only where you'd expect, due to lack of airflow
  • Technoishmatt 30 Mar 2021 20:22:00 5,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has it ever changed :) massive housing shortages! We bought our current house within 5 days, at 3.2% over asking, in 2019.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 20:22:49 30-03-2021
  • mrpon 30 Mar 2021 20:59:17 37,164 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    I'm at work and one of my chimneys has been removed today \o/ Fingers crossed it's the right one, well the left one. Well the one that isn't left is the one that needs to be removed. Right?

It's the wrong one isn't it?
    Don't leave us in suspense.

I'm betting they got the right one.
    :D it was! Piss easy, the one without an aerial on it! Spent the evening picking up the remnants on the neighbours drives :(
  • muddyyfunster 31 Mar 2021 11:58:13 1,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We exchanged contracts on ours yesterday. Moving next Thursday!

Similar experience to others here in so far as it is horribly competitive right now. It was immediately obvious on Rightmove that it was a very nice house at a good price. They actually had a gap of a week between advertising and viewings starting.

We took time off work to be one of the first through the door on a Monday lunchtime. Liked it and offered asking that evening, only to be told three other people had offered as well. In fairness to the vendors they didn't play everyone off as much as they could have. Instead, we were instructed to place best and final offers by the Friday morning for a decision that afternoon. Pretty stressful.

We offered 5% over asking accompanied by a detailed letter outlining why were were in a good position to move swiftly and providing lots of evidence. We then also went back and accepted a lowish offer (that I'd previously rejected) on our London flat (the only part of the country with falling demand) so we could prove we were ready.

Think it was all worth it as when our offer was accepted we were told it wasn't the highest but we did the best job of presenting as credible and motivated.

Maybe we've horribly overpaid (and undersold the flat) but we'd been looking for 9 months and there weren't that many quality properties on the market. So when we saw one that fit the bill and was affordable, we really went for it.
  • Nexus_6 31 Mar 2021 12:10:16 6,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    COngratulations!

All the stress and mucking about will be worth it.
    Also, if you got the house you wanted you have done it right. It's not meant to be a competition.
    Well, it is I suppose, but you know what I mean
  • robc84 31 Mar 2021 16:20:53 15,287 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So we finally got the manhole cover up (it wasn't painted on roadrunner style) and got a survey done.

Problem is - it's deep. Yes, my manhole is very deep. About 2m. The good news is that it runs straight under where we want to put the toilet, but the incline is very slight and its still 1.5m - 2m deep at that point. I think the builder was saying it really needs to be under 1m for it to be viable. So that sucks.

Its therefore either a conversion with no toilet, or possibly a macerator (I think someone on here already suggested that). We could probably get away with it and just have it for 'light use', but looking into it it seems they are also quite loud.

Anyone had any experiences with them - good / bad?

Edited by robc84 at 16:22:47 31-03-2021
  • robc84 31 Mar 2021 16:22:17 15,287 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And congrats muddyfunster - sure all the stress will be worth it!
  • Dirt3 31 Mar 2021 16:34:47 1,616 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    So we finally got the manhole cover up (it wasn't painted on roadrunner style) and got a survey done.

Problem is - it's deep. Yes, my manhole is very deep. About 2m. The good news is that it runs straight under where we want to put the toilet, but the incline is very slight and its still 1.5m - 2m deep at that point. I think the builder was saying it really needs to be under 1m for it to be viable. So that sucks.

Its therefore either a conversion with no toilet, or possibly a macerator (I think someone on here already suggested that). We could probably get away with it and just have it for 'light use', but looking into it it seems they are also quite loud.

Anyone had any experiences with them - good / bad?
    No experience at all, but common sense says :

i) It's a moving part therefore will wear out

ii) Extra thing to break down and cost.

iii) Changing it will be quite pricey.

iv) It will be worse if you have kids, because they are less likely to obey instructions not to stuff loads of toilet paper down and potentially block the thing.

Strikes me as being the kind of thing that you want to fit the best quality you can. Unless you like rpelacing stuff that has been chopping up shit.
  • robc84 31 Mar 2021 17:11:17 15,287 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dirt3

Yes, we'd have to set a general rule that its only for number 1s. Go upstairs for your number 2s. I'm in 2 minds as we really want the convenience of an extra toilet downstairs, but on the flip side the conversion is a lot cheaper and quicker if we don't and it potentially frees up some cash for other projects.
  • Deleted user 31 March 2021 17:23:53
    bin off the downstairs loo, install a latrine trench, buy yourself a ps5.
  • fontgeeksogood 31 Mar 2021 17:26:25 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If it's only for number ones, just have a sink. PM Razz for details
  • elstoof 31 Mar 2021 20:55:10 27,143 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Maceraters are noisy, no way around that. So is a toilet flush though, and itís not much louder, just a lot more sudden so it feels louder, like switching a blender on and off. Theyíre reliable though, as long as no one tries flushing anything other than toilet paper
  • fontgeeksogood 31 Mar 2021 20:56:08 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just keep a potato masher by the toilet
  • elstoof 31 Mar 2021 21:13:34 27,143 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Garlic crusher
  • ZuluHero 31 Mar 2021 21:41:05 10,145 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really fixes any rogue sweetcorn.
  • fontgeeksogood 31 Mar 2021 21:45:18 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pootato ricer
  • mrpon 31 Mar 2021 21:50:16 37,164 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Three shells
  • robc84 31 Mar 2021 21:58:26 15,287 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @elstoof

I donít think anyone has flushed anything other than paper in our other toilet so I guess we should be ok.

I keep going back and forth on it. Cheaper / extra space vs convenience with 3 kids and when we have visitors. Mrs ainít too keen on the idea, but itís the only place we could put a 2nd toilet (without further extending upstairs).
  • Dougs 31 Mar 2021 22:14:33 99,066 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I think you'll be OK with a macerator if it's just for pissing in. Not having 2 bogs fills me with horror and it's possible that when we do our renovations that we won't be able to have one as we need to move it. A macerator is almost a best case for us (without having taken advice from a builder etc)
  • Your-Mother 31 Mar 2021 22:22:01 7,368 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A good old fashioned waffle stomp is the way to go.
  • robc84 31 Mar 2021 22:23:26 15,287 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldnít say no one is ever going to take a dump in there, needs must sometimes, but probably 95% of the time it will just be used for pissing in I reckon. So I think it could work. Bit worried about the noise as well and also maintenance. Iím leaning towards having a maceraor as a 2nd toilet is better than not having a second toilet.

Will get some advice from the builders.
  • elstoof 31 Mar 2021 22:24:43 27,143 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Given the choice Iíd make a regular toilet work if possible, the bathroom in my loft is a saniflow as whoever did the conversion 50 odd years ago didnít plan for fitting a soil pipe. Itís ok, never had any problems with one, donít know why youíd plan to only take a piss in one because they sound the same either way. In some ways itís handy, fitted a cistern-less compact saniflow so it saves a bit of space
  • robc84 31 Mar 2021 22:37:23 15,287 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The mainly pissing thing was to not overwork it when have a Ďproperí toilet upstairs. Understand the noise is the same either way.

Iím pretty sure a regular toilet is a no go. 1.5m is a long way to go down. I guess itís possible but probably really expensive.
  • elstoof 31 Mar 2021 22:48:58 27,143 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wouldnít worry about overworking it, theyíll only break if you break them. I grew up on a houseboat so our only toilet was a macerater type, never any issues. Just hate the noise
  • mrpon 1 Apr 2021 00:39:54 37,164 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Never have a shit downstairs. It's the unwritten rule. As is sitting down to wipe.

/went there
  • robc84 1 Apr 2021 07:12:13 15,287 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The noise is a bit of a concern, but the location probably means itís probably not that much of an issue. Plus it wouldnít be used at night as weíd just use the upstairs one.

I also think the some of the newer ones are a bit quieter, but probably more expensive. Worth paying extra though if they are.
  • SnackPlissken 12 Apr 2021 09:51:20 3,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What a depressing market. Seen two houses which were sealed bids.. We've made an offer on one where the other person was in a better position. Another we made two offers and got rejected as they have lots of interest, but defo not worth the asking price.. like proper taking the piss. Then another where its been renovated but has a load of snags that couldn't be arsed to fix.. EPC rating is also poor so thinking they couldn't rent it out so they are selling it.

Edited by SnackPlissken at 09:51:54 12-04-2021
  • ZuluHero 12 Apr 2021 10:05:35 10,145 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's definitely a sellers market, and brutal. We saw tens of houses and there was always lots of interest and fierce competition. I offered 10k over on 2 properties, and still lost them both.

The current property I'm about to complete on this week I managed to get it for 'only' 2k over. It's nuts.

Similarly my brother offered 15K over on a house he really liked, and also lost out, so it doesn't just seem to be an anomaly in my area.

Like you say, these houses are not really worth the asking price, yet people seem really willing to pay over the odds for them, really sucks.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2021 10:16:43 86,367 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The house next door came up for sale during the last lockdown for what I thought was a figure that appeared to be extracted directly from someones arse. It sold two days after we were released back into the wild.

I genuinely couldnt believe it. RIP anyone trying to get on the ladder.
  • RunningWolf 12 Apr 2021 10:21:22 22 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    And the question is why are people losing their senses in this housing market, whipped up in a buying frenzy amidst the most uncertain time in a generation, indebted up to the eyeballs. All the stamp duty relief has done is inflate prices.

I am genuinely concerned for current homeowners and future generations.

For current homeowners: all the banks need to do is drive up interest rates by a couple of points and suddenly you've got serious pressure on your income.

For future generations: buying your first property is already nigh-on out of reach in the traditional way (mortgage without 'Help to Buy' schemes, etc) for the millennial generation. When rent often exceeds mortgage costs, future generations could be trapped.

Edited by RunningWolf at 10:24:05 12-04-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.