Following Advice on house hunting Page 279

• nickthegun 14 Apr 2021 10:02:40 86,359 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When we outgrew our two bed and were looking to sell our cars pretty much became skips.

We shoved all that crap into the boot and the back seats.
  • Dougs 14 Apr 2021 10:12:42 99,019 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Our loft (and my mum's) was the same when we outgrew our 2 bed. Everything went up, looked great. Had fuck all in it, but that's what people seem to think we all live like.
  • Psychotext 14 Apr 2021 14:05:29 70,031 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jesus fucking Christ. We were supposed to be getting our Velux window panes replaced today but surprise surfuckingprise, Barratt didn't fit them properly meaning that the guy couldn't remove them from the inside. So now we need scaffolding up again.
  • Dougs 14 Apr 2021 14:13:06 99,019 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It is slightly terrifying that Barratt are considered one of the better ones
  • Psiloc 14 Apr 2021 14:19:13 6,165 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Woman buys house near noisy road and complains about noise.

/obligatorysadfacepic

Daily Fail, apols.
    There's a new build estate down the road from me that's like that. I can understand moving there in your 70s and completely deaf, but I'm really noise sensitive so I'd be on a killing spree within the first two weeks.

Blows my mind that people don't check this sort of shit. My two noise tests (when we were looking for a house) were standing in the garden listening to background noise, and seeing if I could hear my missus talking to the estate agent when I was in an upstairs bedroom.

...and yes, I may have purchased a decibel meter and used it.
    It's funny what sets people off because I'm really noise sensitive too but we also live on a busy road and I couldn't give a shit. The neighbours dog barking though... there was a few moments where if I could have got my hands on it it wouldn't have survived
  • Wayne 14 Apr 2021 14:21:18 3,346 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Psiloc I totally get you. Most background noise doesn't even register with me. Yet if I'm at the cinema and someone is open-mouth-eating popcorn seven rows away, I want to tear their throat out.
  • Dombat 14 Apr 2021 15:44:19 1,913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Woman buys house near noisy road and complains about noise.

/obligatorysadfacepic

Daily Fail, apols.
    'I'm not blaming the planners [either], but how they got planning permission to build a house so close to the road, I will never know.'
    A fair point and, IMO, bit of a failure in the planning process here, unfortunately. The development at least needed some landscaping to provide a bit of a buffer from the dual carriageway. It appears to be fairly high density housing with no landscaping at all from the photos, very little separation and only a typical garden fence providing any enclosure.
  • Psiloc 14 Apr 2021 16:16:43 6,165 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah she does come off as quite reasonable and not pointing a finger at any body and her request (40mph limit) makes sense. I actually live nearby and a there's houses with driveways right on the road too; that's a 40 limit any day.

She should grow some conifers or something.

Incidentally I don't know the area too well but £300,000 seems like a rip off
  • Psiloc 14 Apr 2021 16:18:35 6,165 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Actually now that I think about it the driveways are just separated from the road by a bit of pavement.

I'm assuming the planning permission bloke had been taken out to a nice dinner somewhere
  • Dombat 14 Apr 2021 16:23:27 1,913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, as someone that works in planning I'm slightly baffled at how that got through without landscaping or layout alterations. Unfortunately residential amenity sometimes isn't scrutinised quite as well from the perspective of future occupiers.
  • mrpon 14 Apr 2021 16:35:03 37,154 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    Yeah, as someone that works in planning
    Oooo *rubs hands* dropped kerbs? That under PD?
  • Dombat 14 Apr 2021 16:40:01 1,913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Dombat wrote:
    Yeah, as someone that works in planning
    Oooo *rubs hands* dropped kerbs? That under PD?
    I should have kept quiet haha. If itís part of just creating a vehicular access onto your property then yeah, unless itís onto a classified road (A/B/C road). You will need separate consent from highways though so contact your councilís highways department in the first instance.
  • mrpon 14 Apr 2021 16:40:34 37,154 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ta geez.
  • Dougs 14 Apr 2021 18:10:31 99,019 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    We got lucky....they relaid our pavement and road as part of a major road surfacing scheme and mistook the very worn kerb for a dropped kerb so just stuck one in for us!
  • ZuluHero 14 Apr 2021 18:50:04 10,138 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So the secret is to keep driving over a kerb you want dropped to wear it down and they'll do it for free? ;)
  • Dougs 14 Apr 2021 19:22:41 99,019 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Pretty much! Although Not us, previous owners. It would mean having the car right outside the front room window. It's bad enough it being 6ft away!
  • Technoishmatt 14 Apr 2021 19:42:21 5,123 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bonkers having a 70mph dual carriage say so close to a housing estate - I mean, bonkers it was built there! The noise and pollution would be horrendous.

Really a bit silly to not consider a dual carriageway next door, though as a prospective buyer.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2021 19:51:00
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Bonkers having a 70mph dual carriage say so close to a housing estate - I mean, bonkers it was built there! The noise and pollution would be horrendous.

Really a bit silly to not consider a dual carriageway next door, though as a prospective buyer.
    I'm imaging an agent did an entire weekend of viewings when the dual carriageway was shut.
  • Fourwisemen 14 Apr 2021 20:21:57 1,077 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone had a play with that new property site boomin.com yet? Some interesting little features for getting ahead of the pack on properties, especially with the lack of supply out there a the moment.
  • SnackPlissken 5 May 2021 15:14:57 3,171 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Phew second viewing and I've had an offer accepted on my house. Now the problem of actually buying a house when everyone else is big dicking us.
  • robc84 5 May 2021 17:20:22 15,278 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Decided to call in the experts to do my decking in the end. I just didn't see a situation where I made it look even half decent. Its bloody expensive though (£1,500 for 15 square meters).

On the plus side, laid our new turf last Monday and its looking good. Also have the garage conversion booked in for early July with a proper toilet (no macerator!). Been a nightmare to get anyone lined up to do any work at the moment as everyone is so busy.
  • ZuluHero 5 May 2021 17:22:25 10,138 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hmm good luck, its fierce out there.

Was reading on BBC about the insane housing market, and someone reported that they were outbid by someone offering 70K over the asking price(!)

Really hope some of this madness comes back to bite people further down the line.
  • ZuluHero 5 May 2021 17:24:32 10,138 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Also have the garage conversion booked in for early July with a proper toilet (no macerator!). Been a nightmare to get anyone lined up to do any work at the moment as everyone is so busy.
    Struggling to get both Plumbers and Electricians in at the moment. Also thinking of a garage conversion too, toilet plus utility and a little room at the back, what's a ballpark figure for doing yours?
  • robc84 5 May 2021 17:42:45 15,278 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ZuluHero

We are converting it into a small room (office / gaming room / kids toy room!), a toilet and a storage cupboard that boxes in the boiler.

Price is about £13k or £15k if we do a bit of future proofing (to be able to build on top). Thought that wasnít bad to be honest.
  • Wayne 5 May 2021 17:54:05 3,346 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Weíre getting close to our 15% deposit savings, and all the houses we were eyeing are all suddenly getting snapped up. Le sigh.
  • Dougs 5 May 2021 18:10:45 99,019 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    Also have the garage conversion booked in for early July with a proper toilet (no macerator!). Been a nightmare to get anyone lined up to do any work at the moment as everyone is so busy.
    Struggling to get both Plumbers and Electricians in at the moment. Also thinking of a garage conversion too, toilet plus utility and a little room at the back, what's a ballpark figure for doing yours?
    Still struggling to get quotes for our building work. Even the chap who seemed diligent got halfway through a quote and needed reminding. Hope to get that in a day or two. It's a nightmare.
  • nickthegun 5 May 2021 19:06:07 86,359 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We recently had building work done. We are reasonably friendly with the guy, heís done a few bits for us, and he knew we had plans. He called us during lockdown to say if we wanted to go ahead, we needed to book him in pretty much there and then as he was booked solid from the moment the restrictions lifted.
  • robc84 5 May 2021 19:37:57 15,278 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We have been told 3 - 4 months to lay a small bit of decking. We managed to get the guy who is doing our garage to squeeze us in between jobs at the end of May which was lucky. Some of them just refuse the work as they donít have time. Or quote silly money. Itís mad.
  • Wayne 5 May 2021 20:01:26 3,346 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I know a guy that does handy work and he admitted to us that if he gets offered a job he doesn't want to do, he just gives a stupidly high quote.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.