Does it matter what university you go to?

• gammonbanter 12 Sep 2013 20:51:12 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does having a degree from Oxbridge or other similar Russell Group uni open doors? Will you get a better education as you move up the rankings? Do employers look for top ranked uni graduates?

This is more in relation to Computer science, Computer engineering and other IT related courses.

I'm leaning towards the idea that knowledge and equipment / software is pretty much standard now and I can't see where the value comes in going to and paying for a top uni comes in exactly.

Are any of you employers in IT? What's your preferences?

Rambling question over! =)
  • faux-C 12 Sep 2013 20:56:08 11,204 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oxbridge makes a difference, it opens HR department doors, but beyond that, it's not really where you go as much as who you know.
  • Blotto 12 Sep 2013 20:58:28 2,778 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will you get a better education as you move up the rankings?: Probably not

Oxbridge is for sure an advantage though. Even if it's just you'll make some great connections.
  • elstoof 12 Sep 2013 21:03:02 23,145 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Go to Uxbridge. Worth every penny.
  • gammonbanter 12 Sep 2013 21:12:09 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @elstoof

Ha ha, I went uni years ago. This thread was prompted by and lunch time debate with work people, work people with their heads up their arses I might add!

Gaining contacts is a plus for Oxbridge attendance, no doubt. Still not convinced they teach anything better!
  • onestepfromlost 12 Sep 2013 21:19:01 2,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would say to certain employers in certain fields they hold different unis in different. The owner of my cousins law firm for example said as far as Glasgow Universities go, they only really interview Glasgow Uni Graduates, the occasional Strathclyde and never a Glasgow Caledonian Student. However in theory a first from one should equate to a first in the others.
  • chopsen 12 Sep 2013 21:20:39 20,499 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Re OP

Yes
  • FWB 12 Sep 2013 21:23:09 55,904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There are some really shit unis out there. Really bad, with poor teaching and poor standards. Students just buy their degrees.
  • Load_2.0 12 Sep 2013 21:26:57 29,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Short answer. Yes.
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2013 21:35:23 29,526 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yes and no and it depends on what you want to do.

When we hire at our small web(mostly) agency, we are far more interested in the applicants personal projects than their education.

But we are a 25ppl company with but two offices.

At one of the bigger consultants I bet they have more applicants and do rougher initial screenings where education is more important.
  • Deleted user 12 September 2013 21:51:47
    Yes.

But it's not an absolute, it's just a factor.

I know Oxford graduates who are unemployed and doss about, and I know people who went to unis way down the rankings now doing great jobs. It's never a guarantee.
  • mrpon 12 Sep 2013 21:55:33 35,208 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cut off your ponytail, don't smell, make eye contact and be sociable.

Good luck.
  • thelzdking 12 Sep 2013 21:57:57 9,353 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In terms of getting a job, yes.

In terms of quality of education, though, it's far, far more complicated. For example a 'shit' university could still be good for a particular subject and vice versa.

Edited by thelzdking at 21:58:30 12-09-2013
  • Destria 12 Sep 2013 22:05:22 2,869 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think so. If only because of the theory I just made up that "good uni" = "higher entry standards" = "smarter people in classes" = "more challenging classes".

Not sure about the contacts part mind. I did Computer Science at a "good" Uni (Imperial) but made bugger all contacts. But that was mostly because I was an anti-social nerd. Still am, really. Your mileage may vary
  • Deleted user 12 September 2013 22:08:20
    Destria wrote:
    I think so. If only because of the theory I just made up that "good uni" = "higher entry standards" = "smarter people in classes" = "more challenging classes".

Not sure about the contacts part mind. I did Computer Science at a "good" Uni (Imperial) but made bugger all contacts. But that was mostly because I was an anti-social nerd. Still am, really. Your mileage may vary
    I guess contacts depends on what you want to do, and how well you 'exploit' the links a department has with businesses, etc.

For something like CS, I imagine that is important. For history, it's much more about networking with people within universities. Once you get to PG and above, it soon becomes clear that people from any university, almost, are respected and considered, even if they 'only' teach at, say, an ex-poly. It's more about the subject, in that case, and the particular expertise.
  • senso-ji 12 Sep 2013 22:41:36 9,455 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @gammonbanter

While the candidate is more important than the degree, Oxbridge will open more doors for you than other University degrees will. A lot of Oxbridge graduates get jobs in the City; with a Computer Science degree, you could go into schemes where you write programs that analyse data for the top banks and investment firms. There are also many tech companies based in and around Oxford and Cambridge, so they could actively be recruiting on campus.
  • Metalfish 12 Sep 2013 22:50:31 9,191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yep. This came up when speaking to an old school friend recently. Having gone to a "lesser" uni in the same city, they tend to view my education as probably better than it is. I was kinda surprised by their reaction when I mentioned I went to somewhere very well thought of for my postgrad stuff. It matters.

/Post both wanky and vague.
  • macmurphy 29 Apr 2019 13:31:24 3,789 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Weak spam game. Needs a link, Shirley?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Apr 2019 14:02:54 5,825 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Reomani Was the secret of your success "frequent pubic lice infections" or "erectile dysfunction"? I hear those tend to happen a lot to people who use essay writing services. That and getting scammed, defrauded and expelled from their universities (just putting this out there in case google cares). Indeed, I gather most of them die penniless, alone and unloved, in a gutter under a railway arch with a stray dog pissing in their face.
  • beastmaster 29 Apr 2019 18:53:03 19,223 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Canilia 30 Apr 2019 17:11:02 2 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I am absolutely sure that employers from the best and top companies are looking for the best students from the best universities. Suppose you graduated with honors from a lesser-known university and another potential employee graduated with honors from Oxbridge, then any employer will choose someone who graduated from Oxbridge. I remember, when I studied in Canada, I studied in one of the popular university, but I had problems with money, so I had to work a lot. But in spite of all this, I studied well over there you will find my blog which I conducted for myself, but perhaps many students will find something useful for themselves there. Also, I published here students' explanations of why they use dissertation writing services and why they like them so much. Once I was at the right time in the right place and got a dream job, where I gained experience working part-time and continue working now.

Edited by Canilia at 18:20:35 30-04-2019

Edited by Canilia at 18:20:47 30-04-2019
  • Technoishmatt 30 Apr 2019 17:21:37 3,394 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My wife's works counts a first from a few top non oxbridge unis as equivalent to an oxbridge 2:1. Any other university they dont even consider.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.