Does it matter what university you go to? Page 3

Next Last
  • Vortex808 13 Aug 2019 15:24:10 13,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sharz wrote:
    what they do care about is 10 years experience in the rubber industry and manufacturing. Now I am earning money that I wouldn't of dreamt of when I was 18.

Long story short, university may give you a start but ultimately plays second fiddle to experience.
    Was that 'tardis dress' made of rubber?

Edited by Vortex808 at 15:24:49 13-08-2019
  • Kay 13 Aug 2019 15:25:08 20,301 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Ha good point- no, I was headhunted by another department after 18 months because I wouldn't shut up about all the ways they could improve their processes, worked with them for 5 years, then moved onto my current dept. Had a couple of promotions in that time so I'm now a level above the level that graduates start at.

Sure if I'd found a way in as a graduate I might be higher by now, but I managed just fine without relying on my middling and unrelated degree
    Pretty impressive stuff for a six-year old, tbf.
  • pacrifice 13 Aug 2019 23:17:00 5,146 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Tomo 14 Aug 2019 00:20:03 17,068 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sharz and the rubber industry. Just golden. Decks has gotta draw this one.
  • Sharz 14 Aug 2019 07:12:54 1,913 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thought that but polymers doesn't quite sound as uh accurate?
  • Load_2.0 14 Aug 2019 08:22:39 30,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    How many tires are required to burn a full grown polish immigrant alive?
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Aug 2019 11:13:24 8,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I didn't go to university, so i guess the answer is no.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Aug 2019 11:34:17 15,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I went to a university that was originally a former Poly in Bristol and I turned out ok. Eventually.
  • gammonbanter 16 Aug 2019 18:43:33 1,802 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As many have stated on here, once you have some work experience under your belt and you're not a complete arse hat i guess where you went to uni becomes less and less important. And surely this is even more so the case in IT..if you have skills that are in demand then why would an employer care where you bunked lectures and watched Diagnosis Murder!
  • Newnameneeded 18 Oct 2019 14:01:04 62 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In my experience yes, and no.

In general I think employers that do not require a specific degree might assume an Oxbridge/Russell Group education is better than other places, which may open more doors.

BUT employers with specific requirements will usually have a better understanding of the most suitable courses at the most suitable universities, and have relationships in place with those universities.

So, for instance, my university was seen as providing a generally better course than Oxbridge at the time I graduated and did graduate recruitment drives.

Similarly I created a year in industry role this year (seeking someone with computer science skills) and the course content varied quite a bit from one university to another, and none of the Oxbridge/Russell Group courses had what we were looking for, so I went elsewhere.

gammonbanter wrote:
    Does having a degree from Oxbridge or other similar Russell Group uni open doors? Will you get a better education as you move up the rankings? Do employers look for top ranked uni graduates?

This is more in relation to Computer science, Computer engineering and other IT related courses.

I'm leaning towards the idea that knowledge and equipment / software is pretty much standard now and I can't see where the value comes in going to and paying for a top uni comes in exactly.

Are any of you employers in IT? What's your preferences?

Rambling question over! =)
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.