Return of the Revenge of NaNoWriMo '13 Page 3

• MetalDog 19 Oct 2013 17:05:44 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @boo *poke*

Getting close! Lest we forget - the anti-complacency link of terror.
    http://nanocountdown.com/
  • RichieTenenbaum 20 Oct 2013 20:00:38 2,774 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have done one of those description blurb thingies

'Simon Lee has an empty life. No friends, a boring job and no love. Until a chance encounter starts his path towards violence, terrorism, maoism, sex, sickness and destruction.'

I really could use that for the blurb of ALL of my stories
  • Metalfish 20 Oct 2013 21:12:48 9,191 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Writing about what you know, eh?
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 21:15:56
    We should avoid keeping this thread bumped, lest it be renamed to "November writing event".
  • Metalfish 20 Oct 2013 21:33:37 9,191 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maybe we can write tales about a deeply tragic pedant desperately wielding their imagined power like some kind of ward against an uncaring world.
  • MetalDog 20 Oct 2013 22:47:37 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    This year's thread is significantly page-light compared to the 20-odd pages of pre-nano fever I recall from some years =)

With eleven days to go how ready is everyone? Is anyone else going to take the plunge and join us on the brakeless downhill boxcart run of insanity? How many folks are going to blog their output? Is meme ready to add novel info yet? (Mine is fantasy - usual crappy working title: 'Myrtle'). Can Local distract her youngling long enough to entertain us again? Will Boo ever turn up?

For the first time ever, I'm time-rich during a NaNo and my life is not sucking like a dyson. It will be interesting to see how it goes when not spending the month sleep deprived, pissed off and malnourished. Should also ace the reading for a change!

For all you 'maybes' dithering in the wings, join ussssss. New worlds await, new lives stand on the threshold of birth, new death counts are ready to be racked up and the reggae reggae sauce barrel is waiting for those who fall by the wayside.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 22:51:40
    I shall add novel info stuffs in a few days when I can sit down and collate it all. I'm half switching between EG and some college work at the moment, whilst simultaneously ignoring growing piles of washing and tidying that need doing.
  • RichieTenenbaum 20 Oct 2013 23:01:10 2,774 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I will be blogging at sighnovel.wordpress.com
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 23:09:14
    I'm not liveblogging this year. I'm leading a NaNo with a college group where we have closed stuff going on, so it's going to be too much hassle to maintain it in different areas.
  • Deleted user 21 October 2013 12:03:20
    So. Forgive me with the silly question. One has to write an entire novel in a month? How long? What do you do with it after that? I really fancy having a shot...
  • RichieTenenbaum 21 Oct 2013 12:18:42 2,774 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    50,000 words.

Do whatever you want with it after.
  • Deleted user 21 October 2013 14:09:39
    Just signed up for it. Going to give it my best shot!
  • MetalDog 22 Oct 2013 11:47:08 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Welcome aboard Bill!
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 15:22:23
    Cheers! Any tips for keeping to the 1666 a day word count? Do you edit as you go or is editing out the window til after? Getting a rough chapter plan together just now and got my plot roughed and a few chars sketched out. Naively optimistic so far... But then I've not started yet!
  • Popzeus 22 Oct 2013 15:24:41 8,425 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tempted this year. Very tempted.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 15:26:26
    Don't even think about editing. The second you even start worrying about the sentence you just wrote is the moment your wordcount stalls.
  • frightlever 22 Oct 2013 16:09:07 1,500 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been doing NaNo since 2008. Skipped 2010 but "won" every other time.

I've got some characters and situations sketched out for this year but my heart isn't really in it. I've no problem writing 50k words in a month but I'm increasingly questioning whether doing so provides any benefit.

Anyway, I'm hereabouts on the NaNo site:

Crowley Groves

Edited by frightlever at 16:10:25 22-10-2013
  • MetalDog 22 Oct 2013 16:47:00 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @BillCityfingers
    I edit as I write, but this does make every 2k session last between 4 to 6 hours and drove me slightly insane when trying to cram it into a work-life, so I can't recommend it for productivity. If you're capable of blizing through with no corrections or rewordings at all, go for it.
  • mwtb 22 Oct 2013 21:32:13 2,381 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @frightlever

Why do you question the benefit? Is it precisely because writing the 50K words isn't something you see as problematic?

The primary benefits seem to be for people who struggle to get a first draft due to issues with motivation, writer's block/inner editor syndrome or simple fear of the size of the hill to climb. I can imagine if churning out words isn't something that concerns you then nanowrimo might not do much for you.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 21:40:00
    I sort of question the benefit as a lot of people get the wrong end of the stick and think that A) they've written a complete publishable novel and B) that this is the way to go from thereonin. Plus it's also kind of heralding speed-writing as the best method of writing, which it only is for populous commercial writing, and even then it's a bit dubious.

A true story - an Idaho writer wrote a story so good they wanted to give her the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for it, but because of some random complications they couldn't. They said to her that they'd basically award her next book the prize in lieu. It took her twenty years to write it.

But it's a bit of fun for the most part.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 21:42:01
    If the goal was 500 words in a month I'd be all over this.
  • mwtb 22 Oct 2013 22:46:26 2,381 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm not sure if nanowrimo is causing people to think they have no need to edit/rewrite. I met plenty of those types before nanowrimo existed. I think it's just part of the same set of developments as blogging, YouTube, e-publishing and cheap digital cameras. The good news that many more people have a creative outlet is always tempered by the fact that 99% of us have a significant talent deficit.

Anyway, I've never done nanowrimo and haven't written any fiction in years. I'm kind of tempted this time around for some reason. If I can outline something I'm halfway happy with before the start I may give it a go.
  • MetalDog 22 Oct 2013 22:46:48 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I don't really understand the 'what's the benefit?' question. Do you like writing stories, or do you want to try it and see if you like it? There's your benefit - it's a nice quasi structured shove to get down to doing a big chunk of writing with the company of as many, or as few fellow writers as you want in what is usually a very solitary task. Anything else you get out of it is gravy.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 22:52:28
    I'm off to a great start.

Thought I'd write a synopsis for my upcoming story on my nano profile page. Got so engrossed in writing it I forgot I was running a bath (so I could soak and think of story ideas). Rudely interrupted by banging at the door. I go and see who it is and about to get stuck into them for nearly waking my boy up when I see it's the guy from downstairs.

To cut it short my bath overflowed, flooding my floor and his hallway. That actually just happened.

November is going to be an expensive month if this is a taster. Also, still not happy with the synopsis :-S
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 22:59:57
    mwtb wrote:
    I'm not sure if nanowrimo is causing people to think they have no need to edit/rewrite.
    It is. I belong to a few indie author guilds and every year there's a few who'll post their Amazon storepage links a week after NaNo finishes. Last year there was some drama because someone went over the incredibly messy first page of one that had been whacked up for sale with a virtual red pen, only for the author to flounce off and leave the guild in a huff because he thought it was finished and perfect.

I'm running my own group this year and it's the number one question I'm getting asked by people. One guy even asked me when he'd see his first royalty payment if he got it uploaded to Amazon on the 1st of December. Even if it was magically a perfect first draft, it would get lost in the white noise of thousands of other uploads. I pretty much guarantee if you look at the stats, 30th November/1st December will see record indie releases on Amazon.

But like I said, for most people it's just a bit of fun, so it's not really a problem. The "benefit" only really shifts if you view writing as a hobby, a career or a life's calling, really.

Edited by meme at 23:03:22 22-10-2013
  • mwtb 22 Oct 2013 23:21:23 2,381 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @meme

I don't doubt that what you're saying about people's behaviour but that's just nanowrimo resulting in more people having "completed" novels at the end of November. I still find it hard to lay blame for the mind-set that first draft = final draft at nanowrimo's door.

When I was active in writing groups in the pre-nano 90's there were always people who would write something and then immediately print it off and send it to F&SF or whoever. Some just said they hated revising too much, some seemed incapable of seeing flaws in their own work and some believed the editors would just make the changes they wanted. I don't think the group encouragement to write something was to blame for their delusions.

Not that any of that is of comfort to slushpile readers in December, I'm sure.
  • MetalDog 22 Oct 2013 23:25:11 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @BillCityfingers
    Do you have a carer that can stop you from flooding/burning your flat down and keep you from starving to death in November? =)
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 23:32:58
    @mwtb Yeah, that's true enough. NaNo isn't enabling the behaviour (if anyone's doing that it's Amazon with their moronic drive to turn every writer into someone who spends more time doing blog tours and marketing than actually writing and editing), just sort of channelling it into a very specific timeframe that annoys a whole bunch of people.

I'll put it this way - December must be a shit time to be a literary agent.
  • frightlever 22 Oct 2013 23:35:04 1,500 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I don't really understand the 'what's the benefit?' question. Do you like writing stories, or do you want to try it and see if you like it? There's your benefit
    I'm questioning the benefit of doing it multiple times. I think I'm learning to write crap more efficiently. I've completed four NaNoWriMo's for 200k words or approximately a fifth of my million words of crap. At this point I don't really believe that the million-and-oneth word is going to be golden.

I used to enjoy writing back when I did the Friday Flash Fiction challenges and I could knock out an unpolished sub-thousand word first draft story with a twist in about an hour, while blind drunk and thinking I was a genius.

Then I got a couple of stories published in small press anthologies.

Look, I'm famous:

Yes, I am THAT Anton Gully

Didn't write anything for about a year after that. The interior art they used to illustrate my story was even more horrifying.

All told I've been offered money for stories on three occasions and a couple of times for free. It was never worth the hassle of setting up a Paypal account to get paid any of those times but had I done so I might have been able to afford a Starbucks coffee. Not a good one, a day old.

For me, learning to read critically pretty much killed writing for fun. I think reading like an editor is 7/8 of becoming a better writer. Not necessarily a good writer, but a better one.

That said, I definitely recommend NaNoWriMo to people who believe they have a book in them but never got around to writing it. In much the same way I recommend tall buildings to people who think they can fly when they're on LSD.

Anyway, my link is still back there a ways if anyone wants to buddy up. My writing is largely fuelled by rage and jealousy so I'll be apt to send you passive aggressive congratulations in the wee hours if your word count is going well.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 23:47:54
    @MetalDog
    My wife but I don't think she fancies the job, think she's probably realising that she should take the child and leave for a month. Be safer!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.