Grand Theft Auto Online Page 144

Next Last
  • Deleted user 11 September 2018 15:17:59
    I did the first heist (Fleeca) and after the second stage of the mission my teammate chased me down the road in his armoured car and shot the crap out of me. Fortunately it let me complete the heist with someone else.

I also joined the last stage of a different heist with some very high level players who had obviously played it before so they were stupidly quick. I guess I was really there to make up the numbers. Luckily I'm l33t so I still ranked 2nd but it'd have been good if they'd slowed down to 90% speed.
  • hedben2013 18 Sep 2018 16:07:29 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Today I will be buying a Fort Zancudo hangar and a stealth helicopter to put in it. Then fingers crossed for a discounted Cargobob and maybe a MOC so I can start researching and improving vehicles.

Still enjoying it and finding it not too grindy atm, although I suspect the cashflow will seem slow again once I've blown all the extra I got from the end of summer login bonuses and RDR tie in missions.
  • hedben2013 19 Sep 2018 14:52:26 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ...so I bought the hangar, and dropped an extra million on the workshop so I can modify Smuggler's Run planes. Then realised I don't have enough left for the Akula heli as well. Currently deciding whether to grind an extra million within a week to afford it, or go for a discounted MOC instead. I'm not falling for it, but I can *totally* see how people who are cash-rich and time-poor could drop hundreds on shark cards without really thinking about it.
  • hedben2013 19 Dec 2018 09:19:20 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know this thread's apparently becoming The Me Show, but I've been having a blast with the new arena mode:

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60750/GTA-Online-Arena-War-Out-Now

All events are double RP and $ for another week- Flag War is my fave so far, especially if you get a decent team with a combination of nippy bikes and heavy blockers
  • KD 19 Dec 2018 12:10:38 2,069 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I been meaning to give it a try.
  • hedben2013 6 Jan 2019 11:10:41 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gunrunning missions are twice the profit until Tuesday, and I've got my routine perfected for fun and profit. Steal a car, sell a car, do a couple of quick Arena matches, steal and sell another car, do a couple of flying cargo missions for Ron (not that profitable but great fun and good for unlocking discounts), restock gunrunning supplies and sell all stock for double profit, repeat.

Must have made a couple of million in the past week alone, and enough variety and close calls with other players to keep it interesting
  • hedben2013 7 Feb 2019 11:50:50 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still speaking to an audience of one here, but if anyone wanted to pick up an Oppressor Mk2 (the crazy OP flying motorbike that's basically the best for PvP in the game), it's on sale this week, along with the Terrorbyte truck you need in order to modify it.

It's not cheap, $2.1M even at trade price (it's $4M normally), but apparently the trade price unlocks after 5 Terrorbyte missions - so you're looking at about $3M total for the truck and bike if you buy the truck and do the missions first.
  • hedben2013 26 Feb 2019 13:07:19 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's something genuinely interesting happening in the meta of GTA online this week. (Well, to a loser like me anyway)

The latest update last Thursday either enabled or made easier a glitch that allows players to earn in-game money passively while AFK. Known as the "Lester glitch" or "LSIA glitch", it involves requesting a plane from Lester (which costs $1000) and then going to an airport where planes spawn constantly and getting a $1000 refund each time a plane spawns, roughly once a minute. Players are leaving their consoles on overnight with elastic bands around their controllers to avoid getting kicked for idling, going into passive mode so they (supposedly...) can't be killed, and then coming back the next morning to tens of millions in cash. This would cost upwards of 50 in real currency if bought through shark cards.

It's taken off to such an extent that literally every lobby I've been in for the past few evenings has about 5-10 people doing this glitch- you can tell they're doing it by the number of people in passive mode in the airport.

But the meta part is that people seems divided into one of two factions:

Glitching is good-
    a) because now everyone can afford the best tools for outwitting griefers (namely the Opressor MkII used by most griefers and a Stromberg which is the best vehicle to fight against it)
    b) and it should be encouraged, because Rockstar are less likely to ban people for it if it's a large enough proportion of their playerbase

Glitching is bad-
    a) Once you have enough money to afford all the toys, the game isn't fun any more
    b) PC players can't do it because the glitch only works on consoles so they're unfairly being "left behind"
    c) You're risking getting banned/suspended and no amount of in-game cash is worth losing all your progress to date

... so now there's people from the "glitching is bad" camp who want to mess with the glitchers in public lobbys, by coming up with increasingly innovative ways to kill people even while they're in passive mode, like driving a fuel tanker to their location and getting police to shoot it.

Maybe it's only interesting because I'm at the peak of a months-long obsession with GTA online at the moment, but I'm enjoying the whole "competing factions organising outside of the game" vibe. A bit like those Eve Online articles that are fascinating to read even though I'll never play it.
  • hedben2013 26 Feb 2019 13:15:02 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    a) Once you have enough money to afford all the toys, the game isn't fun any more
    By the way, when/if I finally get bored of GTA Online, this will be the reason. For better or worse, grinding and then buying stuff is a core part of the game and if I had infinite money I'd probably drop off it quicker
  • TheHammerite 26 Feb 2019 16:36:28 3,077 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whenever I go online in GTA these days it seems there are only 2 or 3 other players online. And in a big map that isn't fun.
  • littlewise 26 Feb 2019 19:45:40 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    What makes it particularly bad is the satire on the radio shows about the CoD clone (I forgot what they call it...).our site It doesn't really work if you then have micro transactions.
  • hedben2013 26 Feb 2019 21:37:13 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TheHammerite That's weird, I have between 15 and 25 most evenings on Xbox. I take it as a blessed relief when my lobby empties that I can shift cargo risk-free
  • KnuttinAtoll 27 Feb 2019 07:57:47 6,839 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tried Online a couple times (am on PC) and the sense of a vertical grindwall to overcome to have even a small chance against better geared up and experienced players (if you're lucky and don't have to deal with cheaters) combined with a heavy focus on PvP just puts me off each time.

Definitely prefer the much more coherent SP, and I'd be all over this game again if some SP DLC were to be released, which I know will never happen.
  • hedben2013 27 Feb 2019 09:17:40 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I do agree that they should make the curve less harsh for brand new players. Until you've got at least a vehicle warehouse, a bunker and a heli, grinding is a complete farce. When I returned to online after a long absence, I dropped 15 quid on the starter pack that gives you a few businesses, a Frogger and a good bike. If I hadn't done that, there's no way I'd have enjoyed it enough to keep playing.
  • KnuttinAtoll 27 Feb 2019 09:36:17 6,839 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And that sounds pretty much pay to win for me, which I simply cannot support, even though I'm certainly guilty of supporting overpriced microtransactions (spent hundreds of Euros on Elite Dangerous but at least they don't affect gameplay at all and I spent over 1300 hours in that game so can just about justify it).

I guess some balancing tweaks would probably go some way but since the current model is such a great earner for Rockstar, can't blame them for not bothering.
  • hedben2013 27 Feb 2019 10:58:48 963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll That's fair- I will say I've had much more than 15 worth of entertainment since then (it was my most played game of 2018), and haven't felt the need to spend anything else. And having that extra step up didn't exactly turn me into a winner, it just meant that if I did lose cargo or vehicles to PvPers/griefers on a run, it didn't matter so much because I could make the money back relatively quickly.

The heists are also a farce though, frustrating and impossible unless you have a reliable crew (I don't because all my workmates who play it are on PS4, and none of you gits here seem to like it! :p ).

Overall it was my GOTY last year but very much a flawed gem.
  • KnuttinAtoll 27 Feb 2019 11:11:22 6,839 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @hedben2013 glad you're having fun with it (otherwise what's the point).

I think I could see myself getting hooked but now that you mention it, the over reliance on teamwork is yet another aspect I don't like. Even in Elite where I'm member of a squad I usually just prefer to do my own thing, on my own, which is perfectly doable (it's still more of a SP game with MMO elements bolted on).

Still have GTA5 installed and can't see myself ever uninstalling it - it still ranks as one of my all time top 5 games and is fun to spend a few hours in the sandbox now and then.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.