panic button

• Fozzie's_bird 18 Nov 2002 09:58:53 81 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm currently being paid to sit around and do what i like, occasionally checking on eurogamer (not too much unlike others in here me suspects :)). However i'm at home and don't have to worry about being caught ... don't you love the concept of annual leave?

I can't log on at work due to lack of computers (it is the NHS), but thought it would be a great idea to have a panic button here for those who do. I've seen it before on an onlne game of Mahjong. If somebody walks by, you can click a button and a report of a financial summary, or similar, appears.

Would anyone benfit from this?

Edited by Fozzie's_bird at 09:59:23 18-11-2002
  • Nemesis 18 Nov 2002 10:00:03 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    That'll be the Show Desktop button then.... ;-)
  • Nemesis 18 Nov 2002 10:04:19 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Depends.

The shortcut is {symbol key between Ctrl - Alt} and D pressed together. Or there'll be an icon by default in XP ; 98 not sure 'bout haven't used it in ages.

Edited by Nemesis at 10:04:41 18-11-2002
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Nov 2002 10:04:49 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Aahh, the good old "Boss key", though I like the term "panic button". :-)
    The good thing is that EG, apart from the too colorful GTA/Neocron ads at the right, almost looks like something job-wise rather than an entertainment site. However, I just use the task-bar to switch to Outlook or something if necessary. A small panic button would, in the case of emergency, probably be too small to find (or rather hit) immediately.
  • Fozzie's_bird 18 Nov 2002 10:05:47 81 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Fair point

But, surely you would have an empty desktop though, and then have to choose a window from the toolbar (can't try it myself, the shortcuts stopped working today, to click the show desktop, and i can't work out why). You could click directly on the window you wanted from the toolbar i guess.
  • Fozzie's_bird 18 Nov 2002 10:07:50 81 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    98 does have an icon, never could work out what it was supposed to look like, but its the third one from the left.
  • Nemesis 18 Nov 2002 10:08:41 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    For Errol...

Shortcuts

Panic buttons never work for me, I always forget the combo!
  • quantumsheep 18 Nov 2002 10:09:13 3,128 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    How about a sponsored panic button. That way, it'd be the size of an ad so it's easy to hit, but would serve a secondary purpose.
    Take the NeoCron ad on the right there. It could say NEOCRON sponsors Eurogamer's Panic Button at the top and when you click on it 'Voila' - it's back to the desktop for you, nessie.
    Just a mad thought.
  • Fozzie's_bird 18 Nov 2002 10:11:23 81 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Nov 2002 10:18:52 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    But, surely you would have an empty desktop though, and then have to choose a window from the toolbar

Sorry, I might have used the wrong windows terms, I meant I have always Outlook or something similar running in the background and with just one click at the respective programm in the task? or tool?-bar (the one at the bottom of the screen), EG is gone and replaced by Outlook.
  • JabbaDaHut 18 Nov 2002 10:40:10 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I just alt-tab straight to Outlook or Word, and have enough other windows open that 'Eurogamer' appears only as 'Euro...' in the task bar, which looks sufficiently work-related to avoid problems. :)

Best hotkey there is IMO!!
  • wysie 18 Nov 2002 11:31:54 82 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Didn't the leisure suit larry games have a built in boss key that opened up one of the old lotus spreadsheet files or something?
  • Nemesis 18 Nov 2002 11:54:07 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    You could drop to DOS when playing Rogue. (showing me age here)
  • gizmo 18 Nov 2002 11:56:59 2,100 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Those were the days, when you drop to dos. Run your game using a batch file, with the next entry set to DIR. Hey presto, hit the exit to dos key, with a perplexed look on your face and you're hard at work! hehehe
  • Deleted user 19 November 2002 22:16:04
    otto wrote:

Note: important thing is to have your desk facing the door to the office, and the monitor angled away so that the reflection can't be seen in the window behind.

The voice of a true (and vastly experienced) slacker.....
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ah yes the good old boss key from the olden days... :)

I just alt-tab straight to Outlook or Word, and have enough other windows open that 'Eurogamer' appears only as 'Euro...' in the task bar, which looks sufficiently work-related to avoid problems. :)

Note: important thing is to have your desk facing the door to the office, and the monitor angled away so that the reflection can't be seen in the window behind.
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Indeed they did.

Er, so I'm told... *cough*

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.