Ski resorts

• TheSaint 27 Sep 2013 11:05:25 18,984 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was sure we had a general ski / snowboard thread but I couldn't seem to find it.

Anyway the other half and I have been having some lessons at the snow centre in Hemel and now we are looking to try the real thing next February.

Can anyone recommend a good ski resort for beginners with lots of green / blue runs and decent apres ski?

Happy to go anywhere in Europe but a bit overwhelmed by all the choices.
  • RichDC 27 Sep 2013 11:10:22 8,621 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's pricy but Austria is great. Best apres ski in the world! Kitzbuel or Westerdorf both have a good mix of slopes.
  • TheBlackDog 27 Sep 2013 11:19:16 1,069 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Davos - awesome long greens and blues. Really easy downhill skiing on those long runs - a bit like cross country skiing without the effort.

And +1 to Austria - I've only been to the Bad Gastein region but it was very nice and relaxed, plenty of choice for all sorts of skiing.

I think I used to use this site for comparing resorts allthough it seems a lot more commercial now: Ski Club Great Britain
  • TheSaint 27 Sep 2013 11:23:06 18,984 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'll take a look at those, thanks for the suggestions.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2013 11:41:36
    I'm down at Hemel quite a lot these days too. Trying to get to a higher standard before a trip to Italy this Christmas. Determined to keep up with the other half on the black runs (I have no chance).
  • Latin 27 Sep 2013 11:56:44 4,075 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been to morzine... On a work ski-trip... Can't tell you much about the different runs!

One thing though, I was sick of cheese, ham and potatoes by the end so would seriously recommend worrying about the food more than anything else!
  • TheJackKetch 21 Jul 2016 11:35:55 170 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Guess this will do, any EGers have recommendations/avoid like the plague of companies that I can book a ski holiday with? Best I've seen so far seems to be Alpine Elements, anyone used them?
  • devil_badger 21 Jul 2016 11:38:46 812 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used Inghams when I went snowboarding in Finland. They were great, the reps were all good and they even ensured a restaurant stayed open just for me and my 2 pals when we got lost trying to find it on our first night.
  • FauxyLea 21 Jul 2016 11:42:02 259 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Read somewhere that Northern Sweden is really nice to ski in, as most of the 'arrogant tourist' type skiiers don't tend to go there, which made for a really nice relaxing trip.
  • TheJackKetch 21 Jul 2016 11:42:19 170 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @devil_badger will have a look, thanks

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.