Bill Bailey

First Previous
  • Deleted user 7 February 2005 15:56:15
    Anyone watch his stand up thing on Saturday? The guy is a complete genius.

Argos: Its like playing the lottery or bingo where everyone is a winner! The little pens to fill yer numbers in on the little piece of paper and then you wait for your number to be called. You then wait for the 'keepers of the treasure to give you your gift'......I thought it was funny anyway!

Went shopping there yesterday with my mum and told her about it. When our number came up we both called 'bingo!'........yes......we did get some weird looks.....and that kind of added to the comedy....
  • GTBurns 7 Feb 2005 16:00:37 1,772 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    What I saw of it was quality! Then I bloody accidentally deleted it in my Sky+ planner (*grrr!)

The Argos, "...laminated book of dreams" sketch was indeed genius. Though I could quite feasibly laugh at Bailey's facial expressions for an hour!

Any ideas if/when this is on again!?!
  • WoodenSpoon 7 Feb 2005 16:02:30 12,360 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Part Troll?
  • Deleted user 7 February 2005 16:03:00
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Part Troll?

Nice one....
  • Mike_Hunt 7 Feb 2005 16:03:16 23,524 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You actually shout "house", not "bingo".

Apparently.

I wouldn't know for sure.

[MH]
  • Deleted user 7 February 2005 16:03:24
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 7 February 2005 16:05:32
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    You actually shout "house", not "bingo".

Apparently.

I wouldn't know for sure.

[MH]

True....although I have never been.....;0)

Still, it did have the desired effect...!
  • GTBurns 7 Feb 2005 16:06:04 1,772 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Part Troll?

Hmmm. Looks like my untimely deletion could prove an expensive mistake! ;)

/clicks 'BUY'

Edited by GTBurns at 16:07:52 07-02-2005
  • Deleted user 7 February 2005 16:07:43
    Dont fit snake detectors with Dolby.....
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Feb 2005 16:10:01 23,499 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Even better live at a gig, went to see him in Shaftesbury Avenue and he was brilliant, although his material does get recycled a little.

Somehow he can manage to get his PA set exactly right. I wonder why they can't do it at any gig I've been to?
  • Nasty 7 Feb 2005 16:11:16 4,837 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    "Cat calls out in the night......"
  • Neverness 7 Feb 2005 16:11:20 1,186 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tis very funny, though scarily similar to his old stuff.

I was a bit pissed off about this to be honest, I got it from my wife for Chrismas, then they show it on TV stupidly soon after!
  • warlockuk 7 Feb 2005 17:09:25 19,500 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    Somehow he can manage to get his PA set exactly right. I wonder why they can't do it at any gig I've been to?
    Synths are easier to mix? ...and also he's not competing with a whole band's sound I guess.
    Maybe the bands you've seen need better amps / sound techs? Which bands were they?
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Feb 2005 17:16:04 23,499 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Synths are easier to mix? ...and also he's not competing with a whole band's sound I guess.
    Maybe the bands you've seen need better amps / sound techs? Which bands were they?
    He also manages to get his guitars to be perfect as well. I'm being a little glib but it is a reasonable question. I've done PA work myself and it really isn't that difficult to get right.

Example is pretty much every indie gig I go to. The Kills and Six by Seven are the worst offenders, it was just dire. It ruined the gig completely. Franz Ferdinand had the same problem during their gig at Brixton a while back, their first half was excellent but the second half got worse and worse due to the sound. Maybe I was spoiled by going to the RAH ;)
  • Epitaph 7 Feb 2005 17:31:54 860 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Saw him on C4 a few weeks ago, first time exposing myself to his live show.

Must say he was brilliant. Very refined and "sharp" comedy - no time wasted faffing about - but with a hint of Izzard-like rambling, threatening to burst forth.

"Our love was like a snowflake on the eyelash of a startled deer" = teh funn3h.

The Kraftwerk version of the Hockey-Kockey was effin' surreal though o_0
  • urban 7 Feb 2005 17:39:20 13,105 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    guys guys guys .....buy this boxset if you like his comedy
    black books complete box set

from Graham Linehan, co-writer of 'Father Ted', comes a new cult comedy set in a second hand bookshop. Dylan Moran stars as the bohemian, and frequently drunk, owner who has one major problem with his line of work: he hates customers. Help is soon at hand, however, in the form of mild-mannered Manny (Bill Bailey), who proves to be something of a star at selling books, and Fran (Tamsin Greig), who owns the shop next door...

me and the girlfriend after waiting a very long time for it to come out finally finished watching all of the episodes last night

he's done alot of comedy, i think he used to do nevermind the buzzcocks or something like that for a while too
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 7 Feb 2005 19:35:12 47,499 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    heh, I went to see Part Troll live when it was in Liverpool. He had me in tears with that Argos thing.
  • Khanivor 7 Feb 2005 19:40:09 44,563 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    An older show from 2001 was on Paramount 2 last night. Lots of music-based stuff. The different nationalities of police sirens was inspired. As the gig was in Wales and he'd lived there for a while he gently took the piss out of them throughout the show. The biggest laugh was about a cheese toastie, national dish of Wales.

I got the Part Troll DVD for chrimbo as well, but some git has borrowed it without leaving a giant note as to their identity on my DVD shelf. So I've no idea where it is and I haven't even seen it yet.

:(
  • GTBurns 7 Feb 2005 20:13:44 1,772 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Otto? Is UKNova closed for good now?

Wondered (as it's been on TV) whether BB's Part Troll might be doing the rounds on there?

Edited by GTBurns at 20:14:08 07-02-2005
  • quantumsheep 7 Feb 2005 20:14:41 3,128 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    People are very unkind and say I look like him.

Why god? WHY???
  • warlockuk 7 Feb 2005 20:16:53 19,500 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    GTBurns wrote:
    Otto? Is UKNova closed for good now?
    It was up earlier. They normally have "high load" messages when they're overloaded...
  • GTBurns 7 Feb 2005 20:30:22 1,772 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Quality. Will try later. Ta! :)
  • Deleted user 7 February 2005 22:32:12
    I saw him do the Bewilderness tour at the theatre. Much better experience than watching it, and much better than Half-Troll as well. But that was still class!
  • mojojojomo 8 Feb 2005 00:58:15 138 posts
    Registered 16 years ago
    I saw that Part Troll DVD and think he was much better live in Dublin, the venue was smaller and the crowd were louder :)

did anyone who saw the live show and DVD notice that the 'crowd' 'shouts' the EXACT same thing though??

for example the 'swimming with dolphins in Sydney' bit or the hash toast bit!!
  • Nemesis 8 Feb 2005 10:57:44 19,743 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The part where he gets everyone doing a singular clap as a sound effect is pure genius.

It could be something else. I'm still a bit out of sync with the flu.

Also the gig at the Wyndham Theatre didn't recycle much material. I think Otto caught a bad night ;-)
  • President_Weasel 8 Feb 2005 11:00:13 12,355 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    He performed Unisex Chip Shop with Billy Bragg once. Wish I'd seen that.
    I got Part Troll fro Christmas, and it's genius.
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I thought he was better back when the majority of his material was music-based. Bit like Billy Connolly. The more straight stand-up he does, the less original he seems. But that's probably because I've heard all his material from the last three or four years so many times I know it off by heart. He is great, though.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Heheh. Yeah. It's "Quislings" btw. :)

My fave BB songs:

Hats off to the Badgers
    Beautiful Ladies in Emergency Situations
    Beethoven's Lost Penny
    Cockney Medley
    Unisex Chipshop
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The Wales show is the Bewilderness DVD. Worth picking up.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It was working for me over the weekend. There was something odd last week where I couldn't get any kind of access to it at all, they said they'd been having some trouble but I think it was purely traffic-related, not anything more sinister.

QS, I don't think you look like him. Well, apart from the obvious. ;) No, he's a Klingon, you're Nikolai Dante, so worry not.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.