Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    That teaser was unexpected.
    Had to restart the episode and checked I had the right show and series
  • Zerobob 6 Sep 2018 15:56:26 2,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good episode. I seem to enjoy this show when it's at its most tedious, whether that's following Mike around on one of his missions, or Gus getting quotes from European builders... The show cleverly turning these seemingly unremarkable meetings into another important insight into Gus' character and how savvy he is.

Well played episode, well played.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2018 16:15:16 3,171 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Kim is so hot
  • SuperCoolEskimo 6 Sep 2018 21:10:06 11,366 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That first scene made me really sad. For the first time I saw Saul as Jimmy and I felt sorry for him facing the end.
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Sep 2018 21:12:21 8,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Kim is so hot
    Are you still a little ungayed?

She is kinda masculine though.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2018 22:33:40 3,171 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Labels. She's hot
  • monsieur-Cosmo 7 Sep 2018 10:21:57 431 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Kim is so hot

Definitely not very feminine. Nice eyes though.
    Also, this last episode - yawnfest. Seems like they don't know where to go with Kim's story.
  • the_milkybar_kid 7 Sep 2018 10:25:34 7,677 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That was a great episode. Had a bit of everything.
  • RGeefe 7 Sep 2018 10:34:54 179 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    monsieur-Cosmo wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Kim is so hot

Also, this last episode - yawnfest. Seems like they don't know where to go with Kim's story.
    I think they do. AFAIK the only time they've really stumped themselves is the machine gun in the car from Breaking Bad. At this point I think they're slowly driving a wedge between Kim and Jimmy, showing how they operate on different moral compasses.

Kim does criminal defence to help people own up to their mistakes and move past them.
    Jimmy does it to get them out of jail and continue their business.

I feel like they're building towards the eventual split between them, possibly the thing that makes Jimmy go full Saul.
  • Dirtbox 12 Sep 2018 07:34:12 90,902 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's grating on me now.

There's little development, no meat to any episode that furthers the story, just vague innuendo to allow some supposition as to where it's headed without any of those directions really dovetailing with BB in a meaningful way. Toss a little sugar in to keep you rooting for whoever and behold another episode of Saul the burner phone salesman.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Sep 2018 08:46:28 18,776 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's feeling a bit loose in comparison to Breaking Bad. BB was very closely focused on Walt and Jesse, while this is constantly interrupting Jimmy's story (which is a bit dithering at times) to cut to updates on whatever Mike, or Gus, or Nacho is doing.

And the individual parts of that are often great - it's why I watch the show! But it's like they're relying on us knowing the storylines will dovetail eventually (because of BB), so haven't felt the need to hurry it on a bit. I think Jimmy's had maybe 1 (?) scene with Mike this whole season.

I don't mind a slow-burner, but I agree that the story progression is a little sluggish here.
  • captain-Snufkin 12 Sep 2018 08:48:20 668 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    The tunnel construction not thrilling emough for you ? I suppose it's missing the great antagonist/dickhead from the last three seasons, but it's still quality and better than 90 percent of everything else.
  • sunjumper 12 Sep 2018 08:49:16 3,466 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    While I agree that the show had a slow start the last two episodes where really good and are moving the plot forward. The shift from Jimmy McGill towards Saul Goodman can now be seen quite clearly.
    Mike desceding into the world and to the level of Gus Fring. Even Gus is getting more character development.
    And the rift between Kim and Jimmy is becoming wider with every passing moment.

Edited by sunjumper at 08:49:35 12-09-2018
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Sep 2018 09:11:39 3,171 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I can't wait for Bill Burr to turn up and start telling us how much of a cunt his wife is
  • the_milkybar_kid 12 Sep 2018 15:20:21 7,677 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Went in expecting the worst after these comments, but I thought it was great. Plenty of movement now. Bit like GoT where all the chess pieces are moving and building towards something. I'll take that over 5 minute sequences of Mike taking a car apart.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 15:25:40 12-09-2018
  • Dirtbox 12 Sep 2018 18:29:40 90,902 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think my biggest problem is the whole Kim arc. It's pointless. We know she's not in the final picture so all these drawn out subtle reaction scenes that drag on for the majority of the show amount to nothing, mean nothing and will ultimately go nowhere. I hope she gets killed by some cartel or something, that would at least be dramatic.
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Sep 2018 18:47:38 3,495 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    BB Spoiler in this post, on mobile or would tag it.

I think that will happen. Been thinking since season one they'll do a Schraeder with her and that will be the final thing that pushes Jimmy into a full time criminal.
  • TheRealBadabing 12 Sep 2018 19:48:12 1,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not sure most of you get the point of this show. Jimmy is a hustler with a heart.

He is at his best when he is running a con and ruthless when his mark is as amoral as he is. When it is little old ladies he does the best job he can because he's a fundamentally good guy.

The series isn't about how he becomes a criminal. It is about how he realises that the whole system is corrupt/criminal and he might as well make some money from it.

At no point in BB or even BCS has he shown he is anything but a nice guy trying to make a living from the system he has to work with. Even in BB he is working within the law to help his clients.

Lots of people will say that makes him a "scumbag lawyer" but like every defence attorney will say, everyone is entitled to a fair trial.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 12 Sep 2018 21:23:38 431 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The whole Kim-Jimmi relationship I find a little odd. Are they like lovers or they just innocently share bed like little siblings? There doesn't seem to be any sexual appeal between them (I'm sure someone here will prove me wrong). Anyway, I enjoyed this ep more than I thought I would.
    Especially liked the exchange between Howard and Jimmy.
    Also, damn my weak memory but I have no idea what they're planning to do with the German guys and why is even Mike working for Gus all of a sudden...
  • Dirtbox 12 Sep 2018 21:58:56 90,902 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Not sure most of you get the point of this show.
    I'm not sure the show has a point.
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Sep 2018 23:11:03 3,495 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @monsieur-Cosmo they're building what will be Walt's lab. And Mike has been involved with Gus as he stopped him killing Hector, then laundered money for him, then asked him to do this job with the lab.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 13 Sep 2018 09:03:52 238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apart from that BB cold open last week I'd started to lose a bit of interest in this to be honest, but this week's has perked it up a bit for me. Kai's in for a bad time.

Not really a spoiler, but my wife was annoyed when we watched it last night and I said "This has got to be building to Jesse Pinkman being one of Kim's public defense cases.". Too obvious for BB / BCS?
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Sep 2018 10:15:10 7,677 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think that will be Howard's last scene, and a fair one to go out on. I'm not sure I buy the entire firm collapsing though.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Sep 2018 10:54:21 3,171 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    It's not unrealistic, law firms trade on their reputation, if Chuck was a big part of that and it's impossible now to hide his absence, that can cause problems given they are in a service industry (well, in as much as they don't have a product).

Probably only takes a couple of key clients to walk and you're in Fuckedtown
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Sep 2018 10:56:34 6,129 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Not sure most of you get the point of this show.
    I'm not sure the show has a point.
    To tell the story of the transformation of Jimmy > Saul.

And to make me want to watch BB for the 4th time.

It's really odd but even though the pace is glacial at times, and objectively not much happens in a regular episode, I really enjoy watching anything related to the BB 'universe'. There's just something about the direction of the show, and the characters involved - even the setting (average US town) I find quite fascinating.

That French/German builder evaluation scenes for example still has me in stitches when thinking about it, even though on paper you could question why to spend a fairly big part of an episode on something mundane like that.

Definitely helps to be familiar with BB though, as is usual with prequels.
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Sep 2018 11:22:23 7,677 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood Just felt like "oh. Right. Ok then". Without any real build up to it. I know Howard looked quite disheveled the other week in the bathroom but I had that down to struggling with Chuck's death and the circumstances.
  • Salaman 13 Sep 2018 12:38:24 23,270 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monsieur-Cosmo wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Kim is so hot

I got the opposite impression. I assumed Jimmy was going to sabotage his relationship with Kim and go full Saul. But it's in fact Kim who will push him over that edge and they've been laying the groundwork for that.

The Wexler & McGill dream is what's keeping Jimmy going for now, despite him dabbling in burner phone selling. W&M is his light at the end of the tunnel.

Kim's decided that what she thought was the ultimate, getting a big client like Mesa Verde and handling all their cases, is not as fulfilling as she had hoped. Her soul searching spell the courthouse and the PB cases she's since taken have made it clear for her that what makes her feel good about herself, won't make her any money and what makes her money doesn't give her any satisfaction. So she found a way to have her cake and eat it as Jimmy summarized. Become a partner at Schweikart, oversee others that do the Mesa Verde and similar accounts, rake in the cash and do criminal law for satisfaction.

The only downside is she has to sacrifice Jimmy's W&M dream to reach this, leaving Jimmy free to set up his own criminal practise on his own, Saul Goodman style.

Edited by Salaman at 15:00:37 13-09-2018
  • sunjumper 13 Sep 2018 12:59:32 3,466 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I agree with what Salaman said. The last episode sees Jimmy and Kim drifting apart and the things that kept Jimi on the "good" side of things are all drifting away. There is less and less reason for him not to become Saul Goodman. Having Mrs. Strauss die, Kim following her dream and leaving him behind.
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Sep 2018 13:04:27 7,677 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thought. And a silly one. But despite what they're setting up, is it possible that Kim stays with Jimmy through Breaking Bad? Just because he doesn't mention her to clients or Walt, does does mean they split up. I've never re-watched BB so I'm not certain but we never see Jimmy's home when he's not Saul.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 13:05:03 13-09-2018
  • sunjumper 13 Sep 2018 13:15:45 3,466 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid
    It is perfectly possible that she is still there. Now that she is working at Schweikert, she may be still working in the city. I would think that by the time Braking Bad takes places they are estranged and not on talking terms, but who knows.

Also seeing where Kim is going and where Saul will be they might very well end up as adversaries in court. At the very least on a philosophical level.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.