Better Call Saul Page 55

• Deleted user 9 October 2018 19:57:43
    I enjoyed the series as a whole but it is in danger of ruining good will by meandering.

I'm certainly in no rush for it to end but this series in particular it didn't really feel like that much happened - or to put it better - was any closer to the Saul of BB. They're in danger of falling into the trappings of standard prequelitis. I had no real desire to see how the underground lab was constructed though it did have the benefit of cementing Mike as a reluctant hitman.

It's all extremely well constructed, it's beautifully set up, shot and acted but this felt like a treading water series to me. I still found it imminently watchable though so maybe I'm just picking. It's doing more for me than The Sinner which has a steady flow of 'shit occuring' but is nowhere near as satisfying. I'll be sad to see it finish but then we'll get something new by the same talented team, hopefully.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 9 Oct 2018 20:28:40 11,393 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What a final episode to the season.
  • askew 9 Oct 2018 20:56:14 18,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do find the new Salamanca rather watchable.

RIP Werner :( You just couldn't help yourself.

Also: something that carried over from Breaking Bad, but this show has the best cinematography I see on TV. The wide-angle last week as Jimmy met Kim on the car park roof; the silhouetted outlines in the desert against that sky.

Edited by askew at 21:05:13 09-10-2018
  • Frogofdoom 9 Oct 2018 21:10:09 10,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kim's reaction at the end was priceless.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2018 21:28:31 3,748 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I like the meandering, it built up the characters. I didn't like that ending, it felt beyond rushed, and the line felt like when Milhouse said his Fallout Boy catchphrase in class
  • mothercruncher 9 Oct 2018 22:05:25 15,554 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man, that was a cracking scene with Mike and Werner
  • Tuffty 10 Oct 2018 00:36:43 4,245 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Kim's reaction at the end was priceless.
    Get close with a con man, you might get conned yourself.

Really enjoyed the scene with Jimmy trying to encourage the girl and what she should do. He was really trying to say it to his younger self.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 10 Oct 2018 07:39:57 1,443 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Next season will probably be the last one. Should be worth a watch.

In 2020.
    Iím not sure it will be. Vince Gilligan just signed a 3 year exclusive contract with Sony Tv who own AMC. Peter Gould in a recent interview hinted they may make one series pre breaking bad and another post.
  • Dirtbox 10 Oct 2018 07:58:48 90,916 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The show was originally written to be 5 seasons long.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 10 Oct 2018 08:11:45 1,443 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Originally it was but it was also meant to be more of a comedy. Circumstances change. Vince Gilligan was not meant to be working on the show beyond thebfirst series but his network police show got cancelled and he came back to co run the second series.
  • mothercruncher 10 Oct 2018 08:19:43 15,554 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mike might be my favourite character in the whole thing but every time heís on screen I just canít get over how much he looks like a scrotum.
  • Lukus 10 Oct 2018 08:52:08 21,481 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mike's voice is so familiar but I can't quite place it. One of the aliens from Mass Effect maybe?
  • Mola_Ram 10 Oct 2018 09:01:04 18,925 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Originally it was but it was also meant to be more of a comedy. Circumstances change. Vince Gilligan was not meant to be working on the show beyond thebfirst series but his network police show got cancelled and he came back to co run the second series.
    I personally would have fucking loved a comedy about Saul's scummy clients. I know it wouldn't have been "prestige TV", and I'm still very happy on the whole with what we got instead, but there's so much untapped comedic potential there.
  • KnuttinAtoll 10 Oct 2018 09:04:16 6,412 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon the next season will cover a bit of Saul's business activities.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Oct 2018 09:08:04 18,925 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah probably, I'm sure there will be a couple of interesting clients. But there's too much drama there already (not to mention all the cartel stuff) for it to work as a comedy.
  • neilka 10 Oct 2018 09:30:16 22,179 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Mike's voice is so familiar but I can't quite place it. One of the aliens from Mass Effect maybe?
    Commissioner Gordon in Arkham Knight?
  • Gunzberg 10 Oct 2018 09:37:27 2,638 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is going to have more seasons than Breaking Bad at this rate
  • minky-kong 10 Oct 2018 09:54:30 14,054 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    It's all extremely well constructed, it's beautifully set up, shot and acted but this felt like a treading water series to me.
    Couldn't agree more. It's been the slowest of slow burns this series. Still incredibly watchable, but the plot development was glacial.
  • KnuttinAtoll 10 Oct 2018 10:03:33 6,412 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah probably, I'm sure there will be a couple of interesting clients. But there's too much drama there already (not to mention all the cartel stuff) for it to work as a comedy.
    I'm kind of happy they didn't go full comedy, as with the overall quite dark tone the comedic scenes 'pop' even better if that makes sense. Worked well with BB although the highs and lows in that were more extreme I think.
  • captain-Snufkin 10 Oct 2018 10:05:18 763 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    This is going to have more seasons than Breaking Bad at this rate
    They will have to turn it into a supernatural thriller, with Mike turning into a mummy before Walt even shows up.
  • Gunzberg 10 Oct 2018 10:13:13 2,638 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alternatively, they show a zillion of Saul's clients and how he handles them before the action gets started...
  • Lukus 10 Oct 2018 12:39:57 21,481 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    Commissioner Gordon in Arkham Knight?
    THANK YOU!
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Oct 2018 12:42:55 3,748 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Can't believe the actor who plays Mike is only 125 years old
  • Dougs 10 Oct 2018 19:49:18 87,395 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Caught up with the last 2 episodes, really enjoyed that. Brilliant scene with Mike and Werner and Kim's reaction when Jimmy's mask slipped was great. Love the pace, love the characters and the cinematography. Great series. It's the meandering that I like... Adds layers and depth to the characters, little by little imo.
  • Lukus 10 Oct 2018 20:04:05 21,481 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I largely agree with that, but this series has been particularly slow in pace without any of the tension the others had, plus a generally weaker, less interesting storyline, so for me, as much as I did enjoy it, I definitely would put it towards the bottom if I had to rank them all.
  • Frogofdoom 10 Oct 2018 20:09:38 10,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Funnily enough I love this and really enjoy the pace but I binned mad men as nothing seems to happen and the pace was glacial.
  • the_milkybar_kid 10 Oct 2018 20:54:37 7,745 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not sure I understand Kim's character. She wants in, she wants to cut the same corners, but she's visibly stricken when she realises Jimmy was putting it on. I'm watching the season back with the Mrs as she's back into it and she's in tears when Jimmy reads Chucks letter too.

I loved the ending though. Let out an audible squeal when Jimmy turned and gave the line. Even now I wasn't even sure whether Jimmy was working it or not during the hearing.

The Mike / Wener scene was great too. That wide shot of 'the shot' was great.

I've been one in season 2 and bits of 3 that was frustrated by the pace. Mike taking that car apart... ugh. But I don't feel that it's been an issue this season. Can't wait for the next one with full on flamboyant suits, slimy lawyer antics and more interlacing with BB. Speaking of which, we're going back to BB when the Mrs has caught up. Never watched it back since the initial run.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 21:08:35 10-10-2018
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Oct 2018 21:04:24 3,748 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Kim is all about the emotional scamming until she got scammed by it. That's what I think the long and short of it is
  • the_milkybar_kid 10 Oct 2018 21:15:22 7,745 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thsts fair. But I thought she'd be used to it by now so just found it strange that it caught her so.off guard. But it set up for a double barrell shotgun blow to her when he announced his new direction. Was good.
  • Dougs 10 Oct 2018 21:38:57 87,395 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    I largely agree with that, but this series has been particularly slow in pace without any of the tension the others had, plus a generally weaker, less interesting storyline, so for me, as much as I did enjoy it, I definitely would put it towards the bottom if I had to rank them all.
    True, there wasn't much tension. But the only tension that can exist now is between Jimmy and Kim. We know where it ends up, Chuck has gone. I think the next one will be the last, the time line seems to work.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.