Next Last
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Oct 2018 21:40:25 3,670 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    We've still got the Cinnabon Years to go through
  • bad09 10 Oct 2018 22:01:42 8,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh man the Mike and Werner scenes. So predictable for ages but still great. I love Jonathan Banks best fucking 80s henchman EVER and still going strong as one of my favourite TV characters ever. I fucking LOVE Mike.

Gotta say, after all the meandering and weird (and sometimes boring) stories this kinda fell into place this week. I really thought "Saul" would be about his rejection from law and a new identity and while it kinda was it came in a surprising way and it all suddenly fell into place. I always thought the high powered lawyer legacy angle was weird - it still is a little - but getting to "it's all good man" worked and the threads for everything I have been watching is starting to connect Which put a smile on my face as big as the first few seasons of Breaking Bad. Awesome work.

Edited by bad09 at 22:09:30 10-10-2018
  • SuperCoolEskimo 10 Oct 2018 23:48:25 11,388 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Mike's voice is so familiar but I can't quite place it. One of the aliens from Mass Effect maybe?
    Eeyore.
  • Gaol 11 Oct 2018 01:33:44 3,362 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Weak finale for me, the Mike bit was too predictable and the purposeful bad acting by Saul at the start was just a bit too hammy, as was the car park scene. Certainly the weakest season, though still very watchable and had a few great episodes earlier on. I don't think I realised how good Chuck and Howard were in it till they were sidelined, and there wasn't enough of Nacho in this season.

It's still one of the best things on TV, but I hope they don't overstretch it.
  • Gunzberg 11 Oct 2018 08:38:36 2,638 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    I'm not sure I understand Kim's character. She wants in, she wants to cut the same corners, but she's visibly stricken when she realises Jimmy was putting it on. I'm watching the season back with the Mrs as she's back into it and she's in tears when Jimmy reads Chucks letter too.

I loved the ending though. Let out an audible squeal when Jimmy turned and gave the line. Even now I wasn't even sure whether Jimmy was working it or not during the hearing.

The Mike / Wener scene was great too. That wide shot of 'the shot' was great.

I've been one in season 2 and bits of 3 that was frustrated by the pace. Mike taking that car apart... ugh. But I don't feel that it's been an issue this season. Can't wait for the next one with full on flamboyant suits, slimy lawyer antics and more interlacing with BB. Speaking of which, we're going back to BB when the Mrs has caught up. Never watched it back since the initial run.
    Jimmy is always working it!
  • Dougs 11 Oct 2018 09:03:26 87,357 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's what made the moment with Kim so good. She had no idea that it was just another grift to him. Which was naive and daft, but still.
  • bad09 11 Oct 2018 09:17:57 8,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah it was brilliant. The realisation he could never be trusted just set in. She needed him to show something over Chuck and that letter and she thought he had. To see it so cold and calculated and fake but so real she fell for it to hit her. You can see it in her face.

Shit I fell for it to :)
  • the_milkybar_kid 11 Oct 2018 09:33:42 7,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bad09 wrote:

Shit I fell for it to :)

Big time! I honestly thought the show was just giving Jimmy that little bit of humanity over Chuck's death before he went on to become Saul. In Episode 3 that we watched last night Mike says "I'm sorry about your brother" and Jimmy immediately casts it off, as good as saying "yeah whatever, now back to my plan about thieving the Bavarian Boy."

Just goes to show that the show isn't as predictable as we made out. How many people here thought that the German crew would bite it? I don't think it'd happen now.

One last thing I found a bit jarring was the year leap forward. My memories all fuzzy already having watched 10 then 3, but did Jimmy wait until the year was up before going into the hearing?

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 09:39:06 11-10-2018
  • hedben2013 11 Oct 2018 11:24:45 848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I still think the whole German crew might bite it. If their boss isn't safe, why would the rest of them be any different? Either that or Kit will step up and show a good side to counter his previous "loose cannon" persona.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2018 11:28:45 18,910 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why should they have to pay just because their boss did a runner? They haven't behaved unprofessionally.
  • the_milkybar_kid 11 Oct 2018 11:32:19 7,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Goes back to the argument of whether it's worth the hassle / expense of dispensing a fairly big crew of foreigners. I was surprised by how easy Mike made out that it'd be to cover up Wener's disappearance so maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Gus does seem to be the type that appreciates when someone does him a solid. If they were gonners I thought they'd do it in episode 10.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 11:33:36 11-10-2018
  • RichDC 11 Oct 2018 11:33:45 7,984 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The only difficulty i see is how Mike/Gus ensure the rest stay quiet about Werner's death and go along with the accident cover story. Far easier for them all to have an accident now.
  • Hog-lumps 11 Oct 2018 12:09:26 1,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I honestly thought that would be one step too far for Mike. It's interesting though, I think it puts him in a different light. Would be interesting to watch Breaking Bad again now, knowing what he has done.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Oct 2018 12:18:20 10,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it was a step too far for Mike but he needed to do it as it would be done as painlessly for Werner as possible. Wasn't long ago they let someone suffocate to death in a plastic bag after scaring the shit out of him.
  • Hog-lumps 11 Oct 2018 12:31:12 1,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, good point - I think Mike also believed it was the only way to keep Werners Wife alive (which was obviously the most important thing for Werner).
  • RGeefe 11 Oct 2018 12:44:08 184 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    am I the only one that realised what Jimmy was doing in the middle of the speech to the hearing? as soon as he mentioned living up to the McGill name I figured it was a spin because he wouldn't be using the name afterwards.

the scene with Werner/ Mike was absolutely fantastic, as was the opening flashback. however, I can't help but feel losing Chuck has absolutely killed the show. out of the 10 episodes, maybe only 3 or 4 actually moved the story forward in any meaningful way. it feels, to me, like a very wasted series with a few gems of moments.

at this point, I'd be happy if they just jump ahead to post-BB because prequelitis is setting in. we KNOW what he is like as Saul. we have explored that character and I can fill in the gaps myself. we've finished with Jimmy. now it's all down to Gene and what happens with him.

also - if Michael Mando is off filming Spiderman, just write him out of the show. don't not use him for several episodes and replace him with Lalo.
  • SnackPlissken 11 Oct 2018 15:36:59 445 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I'm really enjoying the evolution of Mike. I think it was played brilliantly with him offing Werner at the moment, a sort of turning point that Gus pretty much has him by the balls if he doesn't do it, and all the reasoning's that come into it later on with his Granddaughter etc.
    The Saul story line has been good, but for me Mike is the real winner.
  • the_milkybar_kid 11 Oct 2018 15:50:21 7,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How did people read that 1000 yard stare between Mike and Gus at the end?
  • SnackPlissken 11 Oct 2018 15:56:38 445 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    He fucked up. He said he'd handle it after the bar episode, and didn't.. I'm sure Gus is pissed.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 11 Oct 2018 16:50:41 1,435 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "I will never let you forget how much you cost me with your incompetence. No more free chicken for you."
  • cowell 22 Oct 2018 08:52:25 1,621 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally blitzed through to the end of this season. Thought it was decent and a big improvement on season 3.

I do agree that Kim has flip flopped a lot during the series but was that ending scene, the straw that finally breaks the camelís back?!

Surely this has one maybe two seasons absolutely tops left

Edited by cowell at 08:52:52 22-10-2018
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Oct 2018 09:52:54 23,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @cowell
    I finished it yesterday, loved every minute, just like 3 previous seasons. I would think we have one more season left. I did see it has been renewed thankfully.
  • cowell 22 Oct 2018 10:50:26 1,621 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Overall Iíve really enjoyed it but at times it felt like 3 was dragging on. Season 4 has delivered some decent pay offs and itís evolved from origin story to prequel in my opinion.

I do hope they donít let it overstay itís welcome. One more punchy season would be a strong finish. Two could be a stretch
  • the_milkybar_kid 22 Oct 2018 11:00:37 7,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think someone said there's another 2 seasons to go? Vince Gilligan has signed up for more anyway.
  • SnackPlissken 22 Oct 2018 12:36:59 445 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I think the slow pace just adds to the uniqueness of the story telling. Breaking Bad had the old slow pace episode. I felt the last season of Breaking Bad was a lot more punchy, and in some ways it hurt it a bit for me. But still great TV.
  • Kay 23 Oct 2018 16:36:09 19,767 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Watched the entire 4th season over the weekend, brilliant stuff. Perhaps it was just because I binge-watched it over a couple of days, but I enjoyed it more than the 3rd season. It's still extremely slow even when compared to BB, but when the cinematography and acting is so good, I don't mind. It has that rare quality of making even the most mundane scenes and dialogue exchanges so utterly gripping. Who would have thought a sub-plot about German labourers would be so enjoyable? And the scene with Werner going back down to check the wires could have been straight out of a horror movie.

I think a lot of people complain about the slowness because all BB fans know where it's heading and can't wait for the pay-off moment(s), but tbh it absolutely stands as its own show. It's not entirely believable as a prequel anyway, since the actors look so old compared to BB, and the references do seem a bit shoehorned in. I'm happy for the writers to take their time and give us a few more seasons of goodness.

That final line was slightly corny, mind.

Just one thing I didn't quite understand - any particular reason why Gus decided not to go with the first guy they brought in to do the job?
  • fontgeeksogood 23 Oct 2018 16:44:08 3,670 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    He was slapdash with his estimates and clearly a cowboy. Gus is the most careful drugs distributor, ever
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Oct 2018 16:56:40 23,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    He was slapdash with his estimates and clearly a cowboy. Gus is the most careful drugs distributor, ever
    That was my take as well, far to "flash"
    I did feel sorry for Werner mind you, Mike was very conflicted.
  • the_milkybar_kid 23 Oct 2018 21:12:12 7,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the first guy was quite dismissive about how easy the job would be without going into the strenuous detail thst Gus was looking for. Hence the immediate phonecall to Mike to send him packing.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.