Following Fed up with Colds and Flu Page 7

• Cadence 1 Feb 2018 08:11:57 2,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So how many of you guys get in trouble for taking time off? I'm a civil servant and they have this rule now if you're off for more than 8 days a year you get a written warning. Go off again and you face the sack. It's nuts. One bout of flu, as I had last year and you're fucked. God knows what happens if you get anything more serious.
  • drhcnip 1 Feb 2018 08:13:29 6,179 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    swede wrote:
    @Dougs Thanks Dougs. I hope itís not as well. The last 3 weeks have been torture with very little sleep. Last night though I passed out and puked (I havenít done thatís since my rugby playing days!) so had a telephone consultation today. The doc was pretty convinced that itís what Iíve got :( on the upside, Iíve felt a bit better today, so praying itís on the way out...
    ah, bloody hell - nasty...we had that about 3 years ago...spent a few times on the floor after passing out through not being able to breathe from coughing....hope you get better soon...

just had bog standard flu here...the cold part wasn't too bad and has luckily stayed away from my sinuses, which are notoriously weak...the flu symptoms are easing but my thermostats been all over over the place, i'm either freezing or sweating my arse off - can't find a happy medium...
  • rice_sandwich 1 Feb 2018 08:17:31 4,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Cadence

If I'm off for more than 5 days in a rolling year I face automatic disciplinary action, which unless there are exceptional circumstances, results in the loss of contractual sick pay for six months. This means that people come to work when sick and infect others. A lot of people also use annual leave when sick to avoid being disciplined.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 08:40:11 01-02-2018
  • Sharz 1 Feb 2018 08:22:19 1,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Cadence

At my company it really depends on the individual. We may have an official procedure but you can largely ignore it if you are perceived as a good egg. One woman basically had 6 months off one year and she is still here. Equally if they want a reason to get rid of you they will find one.

Personally I don't really have time off. But when I have had a single day off I have had it brought up from time to time, in a joke piss take sort of way.
  • RyanDS 1 Feb 2018 08:24:40 12,402 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @Cadence

If I'm off for more than 5 days in a rolling year I face automatic disciplinary action, which unless there are exceptional circumstances, results in the loss of statutory sick pay for six months. This means that people come to work when sick and infect others. A lot of people also use annual leave when sick to avoid being disciplined.
    Where are you? In the uk that would be highly illegal. You can lose contractual sick pay but the whole point of statutory is you have a legal right to it that can't be removed.
  • Cadence 1 Feb 2018 08:35:32 2,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich wow that sounds even worse than my place! It's crazy that you get punished for being ill. A guy I knew had his mum die of cancer and was off grief stricken for a couple of weeks. He came back to a formal warning/disciplinary action which just tipped him over the edge. Not seen him since actually. The whole system is fucked up
  • rice_sandwich 1 Feb 2018 08:38:51 4,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Cadence

Bereavement leave etc. doesn't get you punished at least. But being sick does. I was off for 8 days, feeling really terrible with some kind of virus. I had to explain why I was sick in order to try to avoid being disciplined. Unfortunately all I could come up with is that sometimes people just get sick. What was worse was that I hadn't been off sick for about 3 years previous.
  • rice_sandwich 1 Feb 2018 08:39:35 4,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @RyanDS

My mistake. You only get stat sick pay rather than your normal salary.
  • Cadence 1 Feb 2018 08:42:59 2,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's bad. Anyway sorry to derail the thread slightly. Luckily no cold for me this year so far and probably a good job given how shitty work practices are these days.
  • Deleted user 1 February 2018 09:01:20
    I don't get any sick pay (aside from statutory) with my company and no sick leave. If I'm ill I have to take leave or face disciplinary action if its more than five days. I possibly work with Rice.

While I've been ill, I've not taken a single day off. I worked from home twice as I was too ill to drive, but that was because I had a decent boss.
  • minky-kong 1 Feb 2018 09:17:56 14,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've come down with another horrendous cold which is my fourth in the space of three months. Hate this time of year.
  • drhcnip 1 Feb 2018 10:00:28 6,179 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jeez, reading the above i;ve got yet another reason to be thankful i'm a teacher...

sick pay is 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay

worst ive had to go through is a spate after the aforementioned whooping cough caused a few weeks off, followed by a couple of absences for chest infections in the ensuing 12 mths - each one resulted in a visit to occy health (who id first visited a few years before after the breakdown) and discussed with head but no ensuing action...
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Feb 2018 10:07:52 7,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Work for a relatively small company and they're pretty understanding of sicknesses. I've only had single days off over the last few years, but far more regularly than I did before I had my son. Little shit's a walking carrier.

Was off sick on Tuesday. Went to bed feeling completely frail (I'm 31), all my joints were killing, thought I'd got a standard flu. Woke up at 12am, ran to the toilet, just about making it before being violently sick in the sink, 2 days on it still feels like I've been stabbed. Never been sick that hard in my life. Fucking vile stuff.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Feb 2018 10:34:07 8,780 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Off work sick yesterday after powering through the first couple of days this week
  • senso-ji 1 Feb 2018 10:48:20 8,993 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This may sound like an old wives tale, but I've found that eating lots of oranges/other citrus fruits helps stave off flu and colds. I did it all last winter and didn't get sick, and this winter I've not had any problems either. Both my parents get colds during the winter, and I recommended eating oranges and now they haven't gotten any so far.
  • Dougs 1 Feb 2018 10:51:08 87,623 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    So how many of you guys get in trouble for taking time off? I'm a civil servant and they have this rule now if you're off for more than 8 days a year you get a written warning. Go off again and you face the sack. It's nuts. One bout of flu, as I had last year and you're fucked. God knows what happens if you get anything more serious.
    Christ. Local office by any chance?!
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Feb 2018 10:55:22 7,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @senso-ji Meh, I have 2 oranges a day (a big 'un and a tangerine) and it makes no difference honestly. A cold will get you one way or another. Eating more fruit is obviously recommended though. The only thing I could look at eating the other day was grapes. Eat a tray full.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 10:55:45 01-02-2018
  • freddymercurystwin 1 Feb 2018 11:20:22 1,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What works for me, or at least seems to prevent any real bastard colds other than some snivels and maybe a bit of a sore throat every now and then, is a healthy(ish) lifestyle, not too much booze, plenty of exercise and a flu jab. It isnít brain surgery. Iíve been wary and getting the flu jab since getting a bout of pneumonia out of the blue about 4 years ago which had me hospitalized for a week, another week off sick and knocked me for six for the next couple of months.

The fat pricks in my office look down their nose at me when I return from a lunchtime run, looking like a drowned rat sometimes, and then carry on with their microwave noodles and stinking colds.
  • H1ggyLTD 1 Feb 2018 11:31:24 11,211 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah you sound unbearable.
  • senso-ji 1 Feb 2018 11:33:10 8,993 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh yeah, obviously an overall healthy lifestyle is the key, but I just feel that the extra vitamin c does help during the colder, wetter months.

They say raw garlic is also a defense against viruses but fuck that.
  • freddymercurystwin 1 Feb 2018 11:36:20 1,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Yeah you sound unbearable.
    I don't preach to anyone, believe me, but they certainly do.
  • Deleted user 1 February 2018 12:02:42
    senso-ji wrote:
    Oh yeah, obviously an overall healthy lifestyle is the key, but I just feel that the extra vitamin c does help during the colder, wetter months.

They say raw garlic is also a defense against vampire borne viruses but fuck that.
    Fixed that for you
  • Syrette 2 Feb 2018 07:50:52 50,060 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Up all night having coughing fit after coughing fit.

Just horrendous.
  • Rivuzu 2 Feb 2018 07:58:49 17,651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    First cold or flu in 5 years. Forgot how shit this feels. I swear it's flu mind you - fatigued, temp all over the shop, almost pre-migraine 24/7, lymph nodes shot tae fuck which presents its own fucking issues with HS as well...

Not enjoying life right now.
  • Rivuzu 2 Feb 2018 07:59:46 17,651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And guys, isn't it vitamin D that helps with colds, not C? Could swear I saw something about that.
  • alt-cmd-esc 2 Feb 2018 08:32:41 279 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I stave these things off by drinking a glass of water with a heaped spoonful of bicarbonate of soda. You have to stir it lots, as the bicarbonate doesnít dissolve easily, and gulp it down (as it tastes foul), but it seems to work! Old wives tales ftw:)
  • Cadence 2 Feb 2018 08:36:17 2,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Cadence wrote:
    Christ. Local office by any chance?!

No this is central government actually. I work in Westminster.
  • Dougs 2 Feb 2018 08:52:57 87,623 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Where's your union when you need them?!
  • Not-a-reviewer 2 Feb 2018 09:03:18 5,459 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought shit like that was illegal?
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Feb 2018 09:05:54 22,047 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    And guys, isn't it vitamin D that helps with colds, not C? Could swear I saw something about that.
    Neither vitamin D or C have been proven to be beneficial at preventing cold and flu. There was some evidence I read a while back that vitamin C can help once the cold has begun but I think that may have been discredited.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.