Following Fed up with Colds and Flu Page 8

• RyanDS 2 Feb 2018 09:57:19 12,852 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    So how many of you guys get in trouble for taking time off? I'm a civil servant and they have this rule now if you're off for more than 8 days a year you get a written warning. Go off again and you face the sack. It's nuts. One bout of flu, as I had last year and you're fucked. God knows what happens if you get anything more serious.

I don't get sick days. Best I get is working from hone days where i am at a minimum expected to take a call or two and at least monitor my emails 3 or 4 times a day.

To be honest i don't mind too much. I am more relaxed knowing projects are okay and my team are happy than sitting at home worried it is all falling apart.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2018 10:43:45
    feel like I've pulled muscles coughing. Chest hurts under my ribs on the right side now when I cough... which I'm doing a lot.
  • Syrette 2 Feb 2018 11:05:01 50,308 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood

Any chest pain is probably worth seeing your doctor over.
  • swede 10 Feb 2018 10:52:40 478 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well, six weeks on with now confirmed whooping cough and I can finally say that i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I would say if anyone is having severe uncontrollable coughing fits to get a blood test done. Itís been nasty enough for me as a grown up (supposedly) but itís potentially fatal to young babies and extremely contagious.
  • drhcnip 10 Feb 2018 10:55:23 6,340 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @swede

had that about 3 or 4 years ago and it was frigging horrible...used to pass out due to coughing fits...

two weeks into the flu now and still struggling with the symptoms - been quite debilitating, this one...
  • swede 10 Feb 2018 11:40:55 478 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @drhcnip oh dear get well soon - 2 weeks in, surely it must be near the end now. Fingers crossed.

I went through the passing out and vomiting stage about a week or so ago. Worst was coming round with my face in the carpet about a foot away from the toilet door. Didnít quite make it there :( right now I just feel like Iíve got a bad cold/cough again which is what it was like at the beginning. Iíll settle for that!
  • boo 13 Feb 2018 01:05:14 13,525 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm pretty sure this is a cold rather than the flu, but I've had it since Friday and I'm fed up with feeling like crud and not being able to sleep 'cos I'm bunged up / coughing.
    At least I'm not shivering any more.
  • binky Moderator 13 Feb 2018 08:21:51 10,970 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Cold turned triggered off a sinus infection for me. Super fun. Had suffered for 2 years with it prior to last autumn when it finally shifted. This time it's back with added tooth ache. No, sod that, tooth pain. Hurts like a mother bastard.
  • Tonka 13 Feb 2018 08:30:42 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kid A was ill for four days last week. Got better on saturday. Yesterday when I picked him up at school he was coughing and felt hot.

So today I'm working from home.
  • Nitrous 8 Oct 2018 04:08:15 1,818 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This thread will do...

Went to Alton Towers on Thursday, got up Friday for work and slowly developed a soar throat and blocked nose. Been managing at work over the weekend with others also ill whilst our boss reminded us all about the great sickness scheme we have. "if you don't come in you don't get paid" yeah thanks for that.

Been up since 1am coughing and moved myself into the spare room. Seems the worst of my cough has passed for now. Will work today and probably call in Tuesday as I was meant to be off anyway and only did it as a favour (mug)
  • jetsetwillie 8 Oct 2018 09:06:00 4 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've not had a cold or the flu for 4 years now. I firmly believe it's because I use the steam room and sauna at my gym 2 or 3 times a week.
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Oct 2018 09:10:07 11,157 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They don't seem to hit me any more severely, but they certainly seem to last a hell of a lot longer the older I get.

I've seemingly had the sniffles for more than 2 weeks.
  • Dougs 8 Oct 2018 09:25:35 90,276 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My wife has had a horrendous cough for the last 10 days. Unproductive and coughing all night every night, barely getting any sleep. Went to the docs on Friday and they won't give antibiotics until they've tested the phlegm and seen it's bacterial. Which presumably is another week or so. We are both very bored of the cough and tiredness now.
  • thelzdking 6 Nov 2018 00:05:27 9,524 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gah. Haven't really slept for the last two nights because of being bunged up. Now my diaphragm hurts from coughing. Colds are rubbish.

I blame doing two hefty sessions at the gym for the first time in ages last week.
  • JoeBlade 6 Nov 2018 00:33:44 4,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This one guy at work was stuck with a cold for almost two weeks and managed to infect the bulk of his colleagues, me included.
    Ironically he had all sorts of miracle remedies but all of us got rid of it in less than half the time he did without taking any specific measures.

Anyhow, in my experience you'll end up stuck with flu/cold once it spreads no matter what you do (unless you don't go out at all) and just sitting it out is the only thing that rids you of it. It's still a bitch though, no argument there.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Nov 2018 06:18:16 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I was just listening to some podcasts about sleep and one of the best things you can do with a cold is get as much rest as possible. Apparently it reduces your chance of getting a cold and increases your chance of kicking it by around 70%.

...that's if you can sleep.

Also, drink lots of water (the bugs don't like being in a hydrated environment) and don't take paracetamol unless your temperature gets very high as your body raises your temperature as the bugs die off at higher temperatures. If you want a cough medicine then honey and fresh lemon or lime is better than the bought stuff.

That said, I'm bound to catch my wife's cold eventually. Might start taking vitamin C.

Purely anecdotal, but I went two years without caffeine and by coincidence never had a cold. Maybe that's because I was getting the sleep I needed.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Nov 2018 06:57:22 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Great...I've got a cough...

Probably picked it up from this thread...

I'm off back to sleep, I'm sure work will understand....
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2018 07:21:51 11,157 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yay! I feel like shit for the first day of my holiday!

Thanks Mark, you germ riddled, pus filled plauge carrying cuntwibble.
  • elstoof 6 Nov 2018 07:49:48 23,968 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You are entitled to claim any days of your holiday that you are unwell as sick leave rather than use your annual leave
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2018 07:58:57 11,157 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know. I did that last time a few weeks back.

Faces were pulled. They can all go fuck spiders though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2018 08:17:52 6,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Yay! I feel like shit for the first day of my holiday!

Thanks Mark, you germ riddled, pus filled plauge carrying cuntwibble.
    Thereís a woman in my team at work who insists on coming into work through anything short of Ebola. Sheís been spraying snot and phlegm around some late last week. Pulled rank yesterday morning and sent her home.

Bet sheíll be back and mucusey as ever when I get in this morning. Mind you, half the office seems to have it right now.

The bit that really rankles is that weíve just spent a fortune on a big, fancy IT upgrade that is brilliant for working from home.
  • elstoof 6 Nov 2018 08:20:49 23,968 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Youíre not a hero for struggling in when youíre sick, youíre patient zero
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2018 08:26:20 11,157 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Exactly this.
  • Tonka 6 Nov 2018 08:38:02 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    If you want a cough medicine then honey and fresh lemon or lime is better than the bought stuff.
    I can attest to this. Had a bad cough last week and my honey, ginger, lime, acv & mint concoction worked well. I didn't get rid of the cough permanently but they subsided enough for me to at least fall asleep.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2018 09:48:29 6,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Following up my earlier post... she's actually decided to stay at home today! Thank god for that. Last thing I need right now is a dose of the lurgy she's carrying around.
  • RyanDS 6 Nov 2018 09:51:19 12,852 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Exactly this.
    Or your company doesn't pay sick pay and you need to pay the mortgage.
  • elstoof 6 Nov 2018 09:59:15 23,968 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Which companies paying anything but the very lowest wages donít offer sick pay?
  • RyanDS 6 Nov 2018 10:05:18 12,852 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Which companies paying anything but the very lowest wages donít offer sick pay?
    All companies I have worked for since 2007 or so when they stripped all paternity / maternity / sickness contractual rights and moved to statutory only.
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2018 10:08:01 11,157 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cunts you mean?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.