Next Last
  • elstoof 6 Nov 2018 10:08:48 23,968 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well thatís not very Christian
  • Singularity 6 Nov 2018 10:18:28 3,161 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @elstoof I work for a law firm and am quite well paid - and I get three days' sick pay. I've used it up now.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2018 10:22:35 6,374 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Our sick-leave policy is a bit tighter than it was a few years ago, but is still at the more generous end of the scale. Same goes for maternity/parental leave and the likes. One of the benefits of working in a deeply unfashionable field (the downside being that peoples' eyes glaze over when I tell them what I do).

If I've just got a cold, I don't personally tend to take sick-leave these days. If I keep myself busy by working from home, I'm less likely to sit around feeling miserable and sorry for myself. It's skipping the commute that tends to have the biggest positive impact for me.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Nov 2018 10:41:24 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Which companies paying anything but the very lowest wages donít offer sick pay?
    Likewise, my company doesn't pay any sick pay for the first year. After that, two incidences of sickness and you have to speak to HR.
  • elstoof 6 Nov 2018 10:53:43 23,968 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Blimey, I had no idea it was that common
  • Technoishmatt 6 Nov 2018 12:34:31 3,517 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ouch. I tend to just say I am ill, donít want to infect anyone, and say I will do my best to work from home. the day is then spent mostly sleeping :) Did this yesterday.

My work is mostly output based, so as long as I stay in track with big pieces itís all fine.

Also, I am for first time experiencing a cold while having a baby that aso has a cold. It is pretty painful. All you want to do is sleep. Babyís response is to cry instead of sleep. and he just wonít go back to sleep, so you are standing there at 4am, all snotty and with a headache as the pills have obviously worn off, trying to rock crying baby back to sleep. Itís the worst. Luckily my wife is pretty understanding and let me sleep in the spare bed last night!
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.