Four more Marvel shows

First Previous
  • varsas 7 Nov 2013 15:42:26 2,493 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ordered by Netflix: “Daredevil”, "Jessica Jones”, “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage.”
  • Deleted user 7 November 2013 15:43:49
    Oh good. Just what the world needed. More Marvel properties being vomited up on a screen.
  • nickthegun 7 Nov 2013 15:46:30 77,889 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Apparently... a Guillermo Del Toro helmed Hulk series was being fastracked through production until everyone lost their shit over mark gruffalos 10 minute cameo in The Avengers.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Nov 2013 16:08:00 32,585 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Meh, I'm fairly enjoying Agents of SHIELD now it's starting to pick up a little. I like the idea of them all being interlinked too. The Daredevil one could be interesting.

Apparently Arrow is pretty decent nowadays too, although I've not watched that yet.
  • Innuendobot_5000 7 Nov 2013 16:10:04 222 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    varsas wrote:
    “Iron Fist”
    CANNOT. WAIT.
  • robthehermit 7 Nov 2013 16:15:24 7,319 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Innuendobot_5000 wrote:
    varsas wrote:
    “Iron Fist”
    CANNOT. WAIT.
    I'll watch any old shit with superheroes, so neither can I.

I had to google Iron Fist. Is it my imagination, or is the Skyrim logo a complete rip off.
  • RichDC 7 Nov 2013 16:27:22 8,334 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz Arrows getting pretty good now, though it's DC not Marvel.
  • Whizzo 7 Nov 2013 16:31:28 44,793 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Arrow has been very watchable since it started, it is however really picking up pace now.

I'm OK with more Marvel TV shows (even SHIELD is slowly coming good), more stuff to watch on Netflix is fine with me.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Nov 2013 16:36:51 32,585 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah sorry, I was just lumping Arrow in with the 'superhero TV shows' list. It's on some region of Netflix now, so I'll definitely give the first season a watch.
  • BinaryBob101 7 Nov 2013 16:39:25 26,835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daredevil has the potential to be an amazing long form show. The casting will be the dealbreaker or maker though.

All based in New york too, so the crossovers could be interesting.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 16:42:25 07-11-2013
  • Deleted user 7 November 2013 16:58:27
    I'm glad they're doing everything in their power to completely saturate every possible medium with superhero stuff. I was quite close to not being bored of it all for a minute there.
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Nov 2013 17:28:06 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Innuendobot_5000 wrote:
    varsas wrote:
    “Iron Fist”
    CANNOT. WAIT.
    I'll watch any old shit with superheroes, so neither can I.

I had to google Iron Fist. Is it my imagination, or is the Skyrim logo a complete rip off.
    Same. Fuck the moaning bitches all wah wah too much superhero. There are fifty bajillion formulaic cop procedurals, magic nonsense and awful sitcom shows so there's plenty of room for more biff-pow spandex silliness, particularly if they're starting to use characters like Iron Fist and doing interesting stuff loosely linking four individual series. Marvel's done a fucking stellar job with their properties lately too.

Deckard1 wrote:
    If Scarlett Johansson is in the Iron Fist I'll watch it, otherwise bleh.
    If you're hoping to see Black Widow get Iron Fisted you may be disappointed.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 17:29:35 07-11-2013
  • Deleted user 7 November 2013 17:40:51
    I'm not sure "loads of shows are formulaic and generic, so stop moaning about more formulaic and generic shows in a slightly different genre" is much of an argument, really.
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Nov 2013 17:45:31 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's as good an argument as moaning about something before it's even been made.

If they're making good entertainment (as most of Marvel's output has been of late), complaining that there's too much of it is dumb.
  • Rhaegyr 7 Nov 2013 17:46:14 4,735 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Marvel have done a stellar job? With what?

First Class was good and The Avengers was decent at best.

Genuine question - I'm struggling to think of anything else.
  • spindle9988 7 Nov 2013 17:48:02 4,884 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hated shield. Loving arrow at the moment though. It's still a bit cheesy but so much more watchable than shield

Edited by spindle9988 at 17:48:23 07-11-2013
  • Deleted user 7 November 2013 17:51:37
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Not really. It's a domino effect that saturates, regardless of the quality of the end product. Marvel produce shitloads of TV shows about superheroes, make lots and lots of money. Other TV producers look at it with envy, jump on bandwagon and produce shitloads of TV shows about superheroes. There's already a whole bunch in the pipeline already from almost every network. The summer TV season next year is going to be utterly stuffed with knock-offs.
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Nov 2013 17:52:05 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I could list all the movies that they've done the last few years and which you clearly don't think are any good and then we could have a pointless argument about it.

Alternatively, I think I'll just say The Incredible Hulk is currently the lowest rated (recent) Marvel flick on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment and that it still has a 67% fresh rating, and leave it at that.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 17:52:45 07-11-2013
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Nov 2013 17:56:31 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    meme wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Not really. It's a domino effect that saturates, regardless of the quality of the end product. Marvel produce shitloads of TV shows about superheroes, make lots and lots of money. Other TV producers look at it with envy, jump on bandwagon and produce shitloads of TV shows about superheroes. There's already a whole bunch in the pipeline already from almost every network. The summer TV season next year is going to be utterly stuffed with knock-offs.
    Same as every other genre then? It happens whenever any TV or movie is successful, but we still come out of it with a few gems. Ignore the garbage and watch the good stuff. Everyone was obsessed with Lost a few years back but there were still a few decent series to come out of all that. Given the enormous torrent of shit that makes up most of what you'll find on telly grumbling about a company with a reasonable track record doing more of what they've been successful with so far strikes me as a tad pointless.

huh_what wrote:
    Agents of SHIELD is completely generic monster of the week shite so i hold zero hope for these things.
    Oh, yeah, that's been bollocks so far, sadly. On the upside: Netflix is involved with these.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 17:57:14 07-11-2013
  • Rhaegyr 7 Nov 2013 17:57:29 4,735 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yet I could counter that by saying not a single Marvel film has reached or beaten a 7/10 average on Metacritic in the last five years save Iron Man (which in turn is the only Marvel film to be above a 6/10 average). People can use statistics to prove anything - forfty per cent of all people know that :)

I'm not saying they're awful films, just decidedly average, which in turn doesn't bode well for a ton of new TV series based on their IP.

The only saving grace here is that Netflix has picked them up; now they have been on a bit of a roll lately.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 17:59:38 07-11-2013
  • Deleted user 7 November 2013 18:03:12
    It happens to a fairly limited extent, usually. The success of American Horror Story saw a small handful of new shows. The success of Homeland saw two knock-offs that I can think of and a minor filtration down to other genres (procedural). The success of Marvel's mass exploitation of everything under the sun has at least five other knock-off shows I can name off the top of my head (well, name is a bit much as I can't remember the names for all of them, but you've got Gotham, The Flash, Constantine, the one with the organ transplants and "untitled superhero thing" from NBC I read about a few weeks back for starters), and that's not an exhaustive or definitive list, nor is it counting any of the Marvel stuff, whether ongoing or newly in development beyond these four.
  • BinaryBob101 7 Nov 2013 18:06:08 26,835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't see why we need any other genre on TV.
  • Waffleaber 7 Nov 2013 18:07:06 737 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iron Fist could be amazing if handled correctly however it could just as easily become another Mortal Kombat: Conquest.

As long as the pilot has him killing a dragon then sticking his hands in the heart i'm all for it.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2013 18:09:08
    Iron fist and Luke cave should be a joint program though, it feels weird having them seperated

Edited by Grax at 18:20:02 07-11-2013
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Nov 2013 18:10:24 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hopefully Luke Cage talks in jive while punching fools, yo.
  • Kostabi 7 Nov 2013 18:12:23 5,916 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Marvel have done a stellar job? With what?

First Class was good and The Avengers was decent at best.

Genuine question - I'm struggling to think of anything else.
    I don't think Marvel can count First Class as one of their successes as it was a Fox production.
  • varsas 7 Nov 2013 18:31:47 2,493 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    huh_what wrote:
    Agents of SHIELD is completely generic monster of the week shite so i hold zero hope for these things.
    I disagree about SHIELD but does it make sense to compare it with these proposed singular mini-series superhero shows?

Daredevil has potential if they do both sides of the character well.

Edited by varsas at 18:34:55 07-11-2013
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.