Four more Marvel shows Page 5

• Not-a-reviewer 17 Mar 2017 22:26:29 5,551 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Casting someone with martial arts experience might have been a good start.

The guy comes across as a dick with his comments as well.
  • Waffleaber 17 Mar 2017 22:38:09 726 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does he punch an immortal dragon to death and plunge his hands into it's heart? That's pretty much the only thing I want to see.
  • Derblington 17 Mar 2017 22:50:41 31,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    He did have some martial arts training for the show but has said his schedule was too busy to allow him to do as much as he would have liked.

That is nuts to me. He needs to sell being the world's greatest martial artist. Surely that training was the most important thing for bringing his character to screen?
  • GloatingSwine 17 Mar 2017 23:03:39 3,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Waffleaber wrote:
    Does he punch an immortal dragon to death and plunge his hands into it's heart? That's pretty much the only thing I want to see.
    Nope.

ETA: Basically fuck all of any of Iron Fist's actual history in the show. Iron Fist is not really about the Hand, but we need to set up Defenders so fuck you the Hand are here.

Even when they do dip into (recent) Iron Fist tales they give us a scrub tier version of the Bride of Nine Spiders who's just a disposable mook (and works for the Hand not the Immortal Weapon of one of the other cities of heaven).

It's a combination of bottling it on the actual Iron Fist stories and shilling for Defenders because for some godforsaken reason we haven't had enough of the Hand who everyone hated in Daredevil season 2.

Edited by GloatingSwine at 23:08:20 17-03-2017
  • Derblington 17 Mar 2017 23:24:05 31,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    /likes the Hand
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 17 Mar 2017 23:26:41 18,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I could have sworn you mentioned you had a girlfriend now.
  • Derblington 17 Mar 2017 23:28:51 31,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, but no-one knows you like The Hand.
  • Tricky 18 Mar 2017 00:05:39 4,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    /checks how many blokes there are here

Surely most of us like the hand?
  • twelveways 18 Mar 2017 05:29:10 7,131 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't have a problem with The Hand in DD, my issue was more to do with the fact that it was all minion fights and no bosses, it just got repetitive.
  • THFourteen 18 Mar 2017 06:15:25 51,132 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    Watched the first episode. So far its no worse than Luke Cage.
    I enjoyed Luke Cage. But then I like gangsta in da hood type tv shows.
  • Dougs 18 Mar 2017 06:45:49 88,244 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    I didn't have a problem with The Hand in DD, my issue was more to do with the fact that it was all minion fights and no bosses, it just got repetitive.
    They totally made ninjas dull. I will be giving this a swerve until I am really desperate for content.
  • nickthegun 18 Mar 2017 07:21:43 76,737 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Same although, honestly, i think the last few episodes of luke cage burned me out to the point that i wouldn't be rushing to watch this even if it has reviewed well.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 Mar 2017 07:28:20 18,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I got enough of Luke Cage from the half a series of Jessica Jones I watched. I'll watch the Punisher and probably the next Dare Devil but I don't think I can be bothered with all this other shit.
  • Dougs 18 Mar 2017 07:35:48 88,244 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aye, same here.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 Mar 2017 07:43:25 18,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm just hoping that they don't have to all be watched to make any sense of it. I just want to be able to watch the Punisher in a stand alone series. I don't want to have to know about the time Dave Magic-hands saved the city from Weasel Boy in episode 136 of The Defenders to understand what's going on.
  • Pierre2k 18 Mar 2017 08:02:20 1,087 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow, this thread is depressing!

I've not watched Iron Fist yet as I was out last night, but I've loved all of the Marvel series so far on Netflix.

Daredevil series 1 & 2 have been my favourite so far, though series 2 did feel like it dragged a bit towards the end

My wife never got into DD, but we both really enjoyed Jessica Jones. Not sure if one has been announced but would love a series 2

With Luke Cage introduced in JJ, me and my missus got right into this as well. Probably preferred it to JJ personally, though I always found it jarring that Jess never actually appears in this, even in just a cameo.

So far I think they've had a 100% success rate, so hopes are high for Iron Fist. Hope I'm not disappointed...

Edited by Pierre2k at 08:02:59 18-03-2017
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Mar 2017 08:03:49 9,877 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, Jessica Jones and the first season of Daredevil were alright, but watching Luke Cage was like volunteering for a coma and it's soured me on any more of anything similar.
  • Derblington 18 Mar 2017 08:37:01 31,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I'm just hoping that they don't have to all be watched to make any sense of it. I just want to be able to watch the Punisher in a stand alone series. I don't want to have to know about the time Dave Magic-hands saved the city from Weasel Boy in episode 136 of The Defenders to understand what's going on.
    They already don't need to be watched to understand each other, though Defenders may require more of that. I'm sure you'll manage though.

Edited by Derblington at 08:37:14 18-03-2017
  • barrylyndon 18 Mar 2017 09:24:59 153 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I quite like it. I disagree with some of the negative comments here. The actor who plays Danny is likeable in this. However the fight scenes do not sell him as a martial arts expert. The story is slow which unfortunately is normal with these marvel shows but its not as bad as Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. I found both shows really tedious to watch and so I'm surprised I like this.
  • Pierre2k 19 Mar 2017 16:36:01 1,087 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watched the first 2 episodes of Iron First last night and so far I'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to watching some more tonight.

Of course some of the story is a slow burn (I did think the whole psychiatric ward escape thing took a bit long), but generally that isn't a negative for me. In fact, I appreciate the benefit of longer, more detailed, characterisation seen in the marvel shows vs. something like the Avengers where characters get about 5aecs of introduction before you're supposed to root for them.

The actor that plays Danny is pretty decent. Clearly not a martial arts expert but with the editing and effects there is enough there for me to suspend my disbelief. Didn't realise til after the second episode that he is the guy that played Loras Tyrell in Game of Thrones (I'll hand in my nerd membership card on the way out). I found him quite sympathetic a character, but his naivety does get a bit irritating. Part of the character though given he was isolated from western life from a young age.

All in, so far so good.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2017 21:44:14 76,737 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, have any of the usual suspects ploughed through this yet? Every review quite pointedly states that they have only seen the first six episodes, so im still holding out hope that they have got their usual pant shitting in reverse.
  • Derblington 19 Mar 2017 21:58:08 31,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've done the first 5. I find it much, much poorer made than the other shows that I'm having a hard time with it. Everyone is so cliché and wooden. Faramir is a rubbish bad guy.

The whole lack of martial artistry really bugs me, but I recognise that I'm someone with an interest in them, in life and on film, so others may just let it slide. It;s a huge let down for me, even more so when Daredevil handled it mostly very well through both seasons with a few real standout scenes/episodes. In Iron Fist, no-one can fight and it's obvious. Rand is terrible and the cage fighting stuff with Wing was shockingly bad. They need much better control if this comes back for more seasons, and I hope Rand has spent more time training for Defenders because 'my schedule is too busy' is a really shitty excuse when this is your role.

I'll do some more tomorrow as it's my last day off work.

Edited by Derblington at 21:58:39 19-03-2017
  • beastmaster 19 Mar 2017 22:36:05 19,064 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Watched them all. It does get better as it goes along but not by much. I think the series needed a much bigger budget and expanded the K'un-Lun scenes of where there were approximately…umm…zero.

Fight scenes are really slow at first but they kind of pick up. Never really convinced that Rand was a great fighter. There are a few decent small confides fight scenes.

Guess I'd give it 6.5/10. Nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be.

Edit: I kind of had fun watching it and I didn't find it a grind.

Edited by beastmaster at 22:37:10 19-03-2017
  • beastmaster 19 Mar 2017 23:06:10 19,064 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Defenders has just wrapped filming. Seriously looking forward to it, later this year.
  • chopsen 20 Mar 2017 08:15:30 20,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It is pretty awful. I watched the first episode and felt sympathy for the two characters who are presumably supposed to be the baddies.

They got constantly harassed by a vagrant with PTSD and potentially a delusional disorder. He took a guy hostage in his own car at gun point, smashed the car up, broke in to the flat of an apparently innocent woman (and locked her dog up without access to food or water) and just generally acted like a twat. Plus he probably stinks as he's currently living in a park.

I might try and watch it as a "successful brother and sister business couple get harassed by a psychopath" type story, see if it makes any more sense like that.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2017 08:41:53
    reviewer wrote:
    Casting someone with martial arts experience might have been a good start.

The guy comes across as a dick with his comments as well.
    Up to episode 7. This right here sums up the entire show. Rand comes across as an obnoxious prat, and his flailing and posturing, and telling everyone he's a living weapon, reminded me of Mac from Always Sunny. Watching it with the missus, she said she couldn't wait for Defenders just to see Jessica Jones not take any of his crap and smack him upside the head.

The cultural appropriation debate is completely pointless to me, if anything casting an Asian guy just because the guy knows kung fu seems like just as offensive stereotyping.

For a show that splits its time between action and corporate drama, the former looks completely amateurish and the latter lacks any weight and feels like filler. Also, disabling his powers for the entire second episode was stupid, spending half of it recapping what we already saw in episode 1 was a waste of time, as was him trying to prove his identity, only for Harold to just go, drop the litigation against him and give him a job. The challenge against the Hand in episode 6 was also complete crap and a waste of time.

It's the worst Marvel TV series by a mile, I'm just hoping it gets better because I'm still very excited about the Defenders and the character can be rescued with better writing.
  • THFourteen 21 Mar 2017 07:05:12 51,132 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Am 2.5 episodes in and think there is some overly harsh criticism. It's not great but it's still watchable.

Don't really care about the fight scenes, they are just filler. The fight scenes in DD S2 were SO boring and lengthy.
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2017 08:53:57 76,737 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Timely enough, Into The Badlands started again on Sunday. It makes Iron Fist look like Ally McBeal.

If you want a martial arts TV series with slight mystical undertones, check it out. It's the show this should have been.

Edited by nickthegun at 08:54:50 21-03-2017
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2017 08:55:20 76,737 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's also got nick frost in it

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.