Persona 5 Page 60

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 May 2019 15:08:48 8,421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    I've decided to hold off, just in case a revised version with more content turns up. I already played the PS3 version previously, I'm in no hurry.
    That's Persona 5: The Royal, announced for PS4. Hits Japan in the Autumn, the rest of the world in early 2020. Sounds similar in scope and scale to P3:FES and P4:Golden.
  • SolidSCB 7 May 2019 15:20:08 12,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    One thing I can't emphasise enough if you're starting this fresh - go for a low difficulty setting. Of the five settings, the lowest is basically "story mode", while the second lowest has a bit of challenge without making it too steep. Even if you normally like your games at the more difficult end of the spectrum, I suggest going low for this one. A couple of reasons.

First, this is already a long game and the lowest two settings more or less eliminate the need for grinding (xp and cash rewards are higher on the lower settings). On the lowest setting, you will be swimming in both. On the second-lowest, provided you fight a good portion of the enemies you come across during normal progress through dungeons, you shouldn't need to spend time specifically grinding. This can be the difference between an 85 hour game and a 125 hour game.

Second, it lets you see more of the game's social content on your first playthrough. You will be able to clear dungeons in larger chunks without needing to withdraw to rest and replenish items.

Third, while this game is more generous with dungeon save-points than its predecessors, there are still some long runs between them in the later dungeons. A full party wipe means going back to your last save on all settings bar the lowest, which gives you an option to retry.

Fourth, there's always NG+ if you want to try the higher difficulties.
    I've got mine set to normal (the second lowest I believe). So I don't need to worry too much about grinding as long as I'm not avoiding loads of fights? That's really good to know, thanks.

I also noticed you can change difficulty on the fly in this one. Can't remember that being an option in earlier titles.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 May 2019 16:03:09 8,421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @SolidSCB Correct, this is the first game that's let you adjust on the fly. It's a welcome addition.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 14:07:31 8,421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Some more details of P5R in circulation now. Key points are:

- The new party member is designed to fit fairly seemleslly into the game. Atlus have tried to make sure that the new additions in generally fit in more smoothly than the additions that were made for P4G.

- One new non-party confidant is confirmed and is allegedly supposed to be a "less shitty" adult character than many of the others in the game. That could well be a fake-out though. Hints that they may be more confidants to come.

- The third school term sounds like it's going to be a fairly major deal. Looks like a lot more after school/evening slots opening up to give people more time to max out the social side of the game with the new additions.

- Experience and cash rewards have been tweaked across all difficulty settings to reduce the need for grinding. The intention seems to be that the length of an average playthrough remains not-much-longer than the base game, with the increase in content offset by a reduction in the necessary amount of combat/grinding.

- A new area of Tokyo to explore, plus hints that they're going to flesh out Akihabara, the final city area in the base game, a bit more (it's kinda sparse in the base game compared to Shibuya and Shinjuku).

- Here's the big kicker - you CANNOT carry over a base P5 save straight into NG+ in P5R. That said, there will be a reward (currently undisclosed) in-game if the game finds a completed save from the base game on your console.
  • Humperfunk 9 May 2019 14:31:48 8,121 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shame on that last part as I wanted to do a run maxing everything that I missed. Bit torn now as to if I should do another run on the base game and wait 2 or 3 years and pick up The Royal or just fuck off the "completion" run and do The Royal.

Doesn't help with the posts here and my brother replaying it either, properly got me in the mood to play ASAP!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 14:34:42 8,421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Humperfunk I'm absolutely desperate to replay it. Was gutted when it was announced that the Western release of P5R wasn't until early 2020. It's not even as if there's a load of content I missed - I maxed all the confidants first time through.

Assuming they give you new free days to go with the new confidants and assuming they don't change the way you can use a couple of the confidants to make the social side of the game more efficient, I'm reasonably confident of being able to one-shot P5R.

Oh, and the other new bit of info from the announcement - 20 new tracks on the OST this time. Fingers crossed they're up to the standards of the music in the base game.
  • Humperfunk 9 May 2019 14:36:12 8,121 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah definitely - I platinumed the P5 dancing game back in Jan, magnificent playing through that again for that soundtrack!
  • Rodderz 10 May 2019 13:43:50 4,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Atlus Japan posted some new footage of P5R yesterday: https://youtu.be/ABbcqh0t2rs

I don't speak Japanese so I don't know what Morgana was saying (he gets very excited when Ann shows up in the footage at various points 😂 ), but visually some of the new locations look really nice like the aquarium and the pool hall.

Edited by Rodderz at 13:44:46 10-05-2019
  • SolidSCB 13 May 2019 09:22:41 12,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, first dungeon down and I'm 'just' 10 hours in!

I'm liking this more focused style of dungeon rather than the randomly generated ones of the past, I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface too.

As usual, loses an instant point for the game being over on your main character being KO'd though. 3 times last night I came up against the same random mob that suddenly decided to take 2-3 turns in a row and wipe out my main character with full HP. It's a bafflingly poor concept in a party-focused RPG, there's no single good reason for it to exist.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 May 2019 13:07:05 8,421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @SolidSCB Seriously, drop the difficulty for your first playthrough. You can mostly prepare for and guard-against those 1-shot kills from enemies, but doing so needs a good grasp of the game's system.

The designed, rather than randomly generated, dungeons are great. There's one late-game dungeon that seemed to piss off quite a lot of people in this thread, but I quite liked it. Be aware that later on, you will unlock a big random dungeon as well. However, you can actually progress through it pretty quickly if you are efficient about it.
  • SolidSCB 13 May 2019 14:38:09 12,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm reluctant to jump down to easy just yet as the battles are about right in terms of challenge on a whole. I can telegraph the enemies most of the time but one or two of them seem to come out of the blue with multiple attacks (separate to the '1 more' stagger mechanic) that if aiming at the wrong guy (i.e: me) screws me over in a way that doesn't really feel like my fault in terms of battle strategy, nor preparation.

I'll see how the next dungeon goes to determine what difficulty I'll go forward with. For now, I've done a bit of pull-up training and slapped a HP accessory on my main guy so there's a bit more of a health pool to make up for any surprises.
  • gamecat 13 May 2019 18:13:24 965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dungeons get easier, as you work out the mechanics at play, and you get more stuff to protect the MC. I got one shot in thefirst dungeon a few times too on first playthrough, pretty much never after the that,apart from the odd boss.
  • SolidSCB 13 May 2019 18:17:31 12,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll let you know how I get on in 3 weeks when I've completed the next dungeon 😂
  • FrostPan 13 May 2019 18:28:53 1,626 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It took me 140 hours for my first playthrough on medium, but I think I am in the minority that ranked up this many hours. Loved my time with it, but the last palace sucks ass.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 May 2019 23:13:34 8,421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I finished in around 85 hours on easy. It's one of those games - like XCom - where "normal" difficulty is intended for veterans who already know the mechanics.

One of the contenders for game of the generation, in my view, with Witcher 3 the only serious competition.
  • ----___---- 14 May 2019 07:45:17 5 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I finished in around 85 hours on easy. It's one of those games - like XCom - where "normal" difficulty is intended for veterans who already know the mechanics.
    Not necessarily. Persona 5 was my first persona in the series. Played on normal and didn't really encounter many issues. Also never felt the need to drop the difficulty. Being a pokemon player helped i think.
  • Dave_McCoy 14 May 2019 12:43:41 3,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:

One of the contenders for game of the generation, in my view, with Witcher 3 the only serious competition.

THIS! Exactly on the money for games of the gen. You are very clever and probably handsome too with correct opinions such as that.

Edited by Dave_McCoy at 12:50:35 14-05-2019
  • erniewhatbert 14 May 2019 12:48:31 3,059 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    As someone who doesn't like JRPGS (FFVII the last one I got on with), I'm 50 hours in and loving it.

I'm playing on easy, I coasted through most of the first dungeon on medium but then hit a spike. I'm a JRPG newb so I've kept it on easy since the first boss and am finding that difficulty fine, with just enough challenge.

IMO life is too short to repeatedly fail at a 100 hour game. And I don't want to grind.

Edited by erniewhatbert at 15:36:20 14-05-2019
  • BearFishPie 14 May 2019 15:29:05 802 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I played through on Normal, usually rinsing the maximum grinding potential out of each visit to a palace/Mementos. Thatís a similar approach to the way I tackled P4G and P3P, but I racked up just over 130 hours by the end, which is a good chunk more than the previous games.
  • Huggybear 22 Aug 2019 10:57:57 1,733 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I finally managed to finish this (at 105 hours or so, on Normal), and I couldn't disagree more. I didn't like the story, the overall theme, the endless uninteractive walls of text, or many of the characters. Even Morgana was just annoying most of the time, although I understand this is at least partly because of the translation. There was a point late in the game when you get access to Futaba and Haru etc, when I thought it was getting a bit better, but then the last two or three dungeons killed that feeling.

Especially the last 5+ hours of the game were exhausting, and unnecessary.

And this is from someone who absolutely loved P4.

Edited by Huggybear at 11:02:27 22-08-2019
  • Singularity 22 Aug 2019 11:58:55 3,239 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Jesus. Why did you spend 105 hours on it then?!
  • Huggybear 22 Aug 2019 12:09:53 1,733 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Singularity wrote:
    I liked it at first. The aesthetics and the music blew me away initially, and as I grew to like it less and less I wanted to see if it ever got better (it did, for a while)...and I've liked the series before, like I said.

Part of it was down to "sunk cost" as well, I suppose. It did take me two years and four months in the end.
  • Deleted user 22 August 2019 12:31:01
    I was planning on starting this next after I'm done with days gone. Never played a Persona game before. Bought it ages ago in a sale.
  • HarryPalmer 22 Aug 2019 14:33:47 6,099 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Same. Although Days Gone is exhausting so might wait a bit before starting another marathon game.

Canít wait to play it though.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 22 Aug 2019 14:35:38 3,891 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Persona games are generally easy enough if you know your MegaTen to play on Normal. I always do. I am looking forward to Royal, even though I remember them specifically saying that there would be no FES update for 5... It is a shame that you cannot NG+ with P5 save though, I seem to recall you could with FEs (or was that a more limited NG+ too?)

Still eagerly awaiting news on SMT V though...
  • Singularity 22 Aug 2019 14:47:42 3,239 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Huggybear wrote:
    Singularity wrote:
    I liked it at first. The aesthetics and the music blew me away initially, and as I grew to like it less and less I wanted to see if it ever got better (it did, for a while)...and I've liked the series before, like I said.

Part of it was down to "sunk cost" as well, I suppose. It did take me two years and four months in the end.
    Well, I applaud your commitment. If a game bores or disappoints me for one hour, I take it as a personal insult and will never play it, or any of its descendants, ever again.
  • elstoof 22 Aug 2019 14:56:26 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just started this, loving it. Still on the first dungeon, second assault on it. Looks like Iíll be needing a third entry before tackling the boss but weíll see, SP getting low
  • FrostPan 22 Aug 2019 18:10:16 1,626 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Huggybear wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I finally managed to finish this (at 105 hours or so, on Normal), and I couldn't disagree more. I didn't like the story, the overall theme, the endless uninteractive walls of text, or many of the characters. Even Morgana was just annoying most of the time, although I understand this is at least partly because of the translation. There was a point late in the game when you get access to Futaba and Haru etc, when I thought it was getting a bit better, but then the last two or three dungeons killed that feeling.

Especially the last 5+ hours of the game were exhausting, and unnecessary.

And this is from someone who absolutely loved P4.
    I personally think Persona 5 is overrated, but I still think it's a very good game. Just not one of the best JRPGs out there. I do agree the game is too long, though I didn't mind the last dungeon. Shido's palace is where I thought the gameplay was an absolute drag..
  • JoelStinty 22 Aug 2019 18:50:43 8,808 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think P5 is too wordy for me, which Is a shame because the quality of the writing is great and I'm enjoying spending time with the characters, but I found it a bit of a chore to play. I've done the madarame arc and setting up for the third target. I was worried that Fire Emblem would be too similar but I'm finding myself enjoying that a lot more because alongside its talking it does feel more gamey with stuff to do and just run around in. I probably put as much time into Fire Emblem as I have Persona 5 at the moment and never feel bored by it, where I start getting fidgety with P5 after 20 minutes.
  • Deleted user 22 August 2019 19:07:43
    Mmm kind of being put off by it now. Might just start Yakuza zero next as that's another I've never played.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.