Persona 5 Page 62

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Mar 2020 13:04:28 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Malek86 P3: FES was released on the same platform as the original.

I do sort-of get the question as to whether this could have been released as a DLC, though. If it were a different game, I'd probably care more.

The rest of the EG review is basically shite.
  • Malek86 31 Mar 2020 13:09:26 10,034 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon I guess the PS2 doesn't count, because well, it was the PS2. I don't think it could even handle expansions, aside from games that installed on the HDD (aka pretty much just FF11).

Edited by Malek86 at 13:09:36 31-03-2020
  • Nazo 31 Mar 2020 13:13:25 1,306 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've seen similar criticisms of the game by players of the Japanese release.

I think it's tricky reviewing a release like this, for newcomers it's probably an Essential, for owners of the original game it seems less clear-cut.
  • Wavey 2 Apr 2020 14:25:01 1,014 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    For those who bought Royal and have finished the original would you say it's worth it? I loved the original when I finished it 2 years ago but not sure if I want to go through an even longer version. I'm on the fence!
  • Dave_McCoy 2 Apr 2020 15:28:11 3,258 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Wavey Looking that I finished the original nearly three years ago I am enjoying my second run with this one. There are a few nice quality of life improvements, such as gun ammo replenishing, and some extra bits and bobs of dialogue in the existing story to flesh out stuff. Not had a huge amount of new content yet but apparently the dungeons are slightly remixed and the boss fights have new mechanics. There is the new large area of Tokyo as well with lots of distractions apparently but not there yet.

I have put 5 hrs in to it so far. Going to play a lot more today I reckon.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Apr 2020 16:45:57 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've still only managed an hour, despite having had my copy since Sunday. Unfortunately, P5 doesn't lend itself to short play sessions and the way work has been this week has made anything over 30 minutes of gaming here and there pretty much impossible.
  • RyanDS 2 Apr 2020 19:12:54 13,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    12 hours in and loving it not much major content so far but there are loads of quality of life improvements and it is remixed enough to feel fresh. Definitely worth full price again for me.
  • gamecat 2 Apr 2020 19:19:56 965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    100%'d P5, am not forking out 50 for Royal though, seems a huge ripoff.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Apr 2020 16:20:06 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For the first time in 3 weeks, a day where I don't have to work. Got cracking on this at lunch time. I'd forgotten just how good it is.

The new Royal stuff is fairly thinly layered on top so far, but noticable when you see it.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2020 19:11:16
    It's been ages since I played it, but there was loads of stuff in the first dungeon that I couldn't recall - I'm presuming a lot of that was new.
  • timur 4 Apr 2020 19:53:00 37 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I loved P4G and enjoyed P3P a lot too but I don't have a PS4. As an outside observer I get the feeling the verdict is this is very good but not quite as good as P4G and a bit overlong. Is that about right? Are the dungeons and combat still pretty tedious?
  • Deleted user 4 April 2020 20:19:04
    I enjoy it much more than P4G. Jesus knows how long it has been since I played that, but there is a huge amount more variety in this game then I can ever recall being in P4G.
  • RyanDS 4 Apr 2020 21:03:09 13,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    P4 and P5 are tied for me. One is in my top three games ever, but I am never sure which one. If you liked 4 you will like this. It really is more of the same in the best possible way.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Apr 2020 23:15:38 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Personally, I'd put P4 as the weaker link (albeit that's in comparative terms, they're all very good) of the PS2-and-onwards Persona games. Its bright, poppy atmosphere never quite managed to equal P3's cosmic dread or P5's sheer, burning anger.

P5 is different to P3 and P4 in that it's more more closely linked to the real world. It takes place in Tokyo, rather than a fictional city or town. All of its story arcs are inspired by real-world Japanese scandals and the game absolutely fizzes with rage at times.

To my mind, it's the best of the bunch. It has much less of the laid-back life-sim stuff from P4 (and less of the goofy comedy), but it's a rare "game with things to say" that doesn't suck.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Apr 2020 15:19:16 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    It's been ages since I played it, but there was loads of stuff in the first dungeon that I couldn't recall - I'm presuming a lot of that was new.
    Yeah, I've just run the first Palace and it is almost completely different to in the base game. Less combat, more puzzling, more shortcuts, plus some new side-exploration to find the lust seeds. They've also mixed up combat a bit, with the new Savage and Disaster enemy types.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2020 23:28:07 28,701 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just finished the first dungeon and have a question or two:

I could hang out with Ryuiji but it said that our bond couldn't grow right now (or similar), I take it that it would be pointless and that I should so another activity or visit someone else to make use of that day?

When I go to the library, it says I can increase guts if I sit at an open table but I can't see how to do that, only in a study corner.

I've been given the chance to praise Rjuiji to Ann a few times but haven't so far (obviously I could enable romance with them but maybe would rather do it myself!). Any spoiler-free tips on the benefits of either direction?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Apr 2020 00:09:06 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear If it says your bond can't grow right now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't hang out with them. Sometimes, you need a few "dead" time periods to get the affection needed for the next rank progression.

There are a couple of confidants with hard blocks on progression, but Ryuji isn't one of them. Whether to prioritise him depends on your difficulty setting. Ranking up Ryuji gives you combat bonuses, which are useful on the harder difficulties. The non-party-member confidants tend to give you more social bonuses, which help more with going for 100% confidant completion on the lower difficulties.

Open tables will only pop up on infrequent occasions. Don't worry too much.

Romance paths only kick in at high confidant levels and whether or not you praise Ryuji to Ann at this point is largely irrelevant.

As far as romance goes, you want to only trigger the romance flag on a single confidant, or you get the "bad" romantic ending. But you are given a very, very clear decision point, with prompts to make sure you're really certain, before you pick the romance path for any confidant. This typically happens at rank 8 or 9, so late in the game.
  • gamecat 8 Apr 2020 00:09:09 965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    1 Yep, do something else
    2 I think it just means the study corner
    3 Romance options don't appear till way later, they are very obvious flags when they happen, I think you even get an 'are you sure?' type thing as well.

edit alright, differnce of opinion on 1, I've never done the bond wont grow type encounters, except to see a new cutscene maybe, then scumsaved.

Edited by gamecat at 00:14:17 08-04-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Apr 2020 08:42:14 28,701 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear If it says your bond can't grow right now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't hang out with them. Sometimes, you need a few "dead" time periods to get the affection needed for the next rank progression.

There are a couple of confidants with hard blocks on progression, but Ryuji isn't one of them. Whether to prioritise him depends on your difficulty setting. Ranking up Ryuji gives you combat bonuses, which are useful on the harder difficulties. The non-party-member confidants tend to give you more social bonuses, which help more with going for 100% confidant completion on the lower difficulties.

Open tables will only pop up on infrequent occasions. Don't worry too much.

Romance paths only kick in at high confidant levels and whether or not you praise Ryuji to Ann at this point is largely irrelevant.

As far as romance goes, you want to only trigger the romance flag on a single confidant, or you get the "bad" romantic ending. But you are given a very, very clear decision point, with prompts to make sure you're really certain, before you pick the romance path for any confidant. This typically happens at rank 8 or 9, so late in the game.
    Thanks a lot, will praising Ryuiji have any affect at all at this stage then? i.e. help progression of my bond with him or just fairly meaningless?
  • Nazo 8 Apr 2020 09:09:07 1,306 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You need a certain number of points to grow to the next affection level, dialogue choices you make during the rank up scene will affect how many points you get and how many times you need to hang out with them again before the next rank up. Sometimes you get extra points just for progressing the game.

When you see musical notes appear it means your affection has increased.

Edited by Nazo at 09:13:40 08-04-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Apr 2020 09:24:53 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Outside of specific, pre-determined plot triggers that either initiate or advance confidant levels, you can only advance confidants by hanging out with them. In terms of dialogue choices that matter, you need to pay attention to the following:

- Dialogue choices while hanging out with a confidant (affects your affection/progress with them).
    - Answers to questions during class, or on part-time jobs (affects social stat bonuses).
    - Answers to end-term exams at school (affects your exam results and associated reward).
    - Dialogue with enemies during negotiation in battle (explained by an early tutorial).
    - A small number of critical dialogue choices late in the game that affect your ending.

Other dialogue choices are essentially free from consequences, so say what you want.

If you want to advance confidants as quickly as possible, the basics are:

- Ranking up most confidants requires you to raise affection with them. Once per level of affection, you will be able to do a "big" hang-out with a confidant, with dialogue choices. If your next hang-out is likely to improve the level of your confidant, the game will tell you the bond might deepen soon. If you're going to need more, it will say the bond isn't ready to deepen yet.

- Sometimes this will be enough on its own to level up your confidant (particularly at lower levels), other times it will need to be supplemented by regular hang-outs or other means.

- As the game progresses, you'll open up various new hang-out locations. You can improve the effectiveness of regular hang-outs by going to one of these.

- Gifts are also a shortcut for increasing affection. You can buy these in shops and the description gives heavy hints as to who will like each gift.

- When spending time with a confidant, always have a Persona of the relevant arcana equipped. Remember that you can switch Personas without time passing via the door in Shibuya. This improves the affection gain you get from each interaction.

- Pick the right answers during the "big" hang-outs to maximise your affection gains. There are various guides to the right choices, but whether you use them is a matter of personal choice.

- Two confidants to prioritise are Temperence (unlocks quite early) and Fortune (unlocks mid-game). Temperence allows you to use your evening timeslot after going to a dungeon during the day, rather than having to rest. Fortune allows you to get extra bonuses to affection with other confidants.

- Some (in fact, most) confidants have blockers, requiring you to have a particular social stat to a particular level or to clear a fight in Mementos (the side-dungeon you might not have access to yet).

- Don't let this rush you into trying to speed-boost single stats to high levels. There's no point having Academics to rank 4 in June, because you will get lots, and lots of freebie opportunities to raise it later in the game, which will be wasted if you've turboed it up earlier. Instead, try to develop your social stats at a steady, even pace, which will mean that most of your confidants tend to progress up the ranks at a similar pace. The summer holidays are a good time to focus on boosting your social stats.

- And for Mementos quests, be sure to collect a bunch before visiting, so you can get as many as possible done in a single timeslot.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Apr 2020 15:39:58 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've just finished the Madarame arc now. Main differences I've spotted so far:

- Palaces are slightly shorter, but more complicated, with more puzzles and more special rules.

- Combat has a bit more variety, with a few special enemy types that change the flow of battle.

- Bosses have been revamped significantly. Their mechanics have changed and they generally seem easier.

- Battle mechanics in general have been tuned and optimised, with ammo now replenished between fights and baton passes being more useful.

- There are three hidden treasures in each dungeon now. Finding one grants you a small SP refresh for your whole party. Find all three from a dungeon and it turns into an item which you can later exhange for a powerful artifact.

- Mementos has quite a lot of changes, including a new special currency and vendor.

- The first new confidant, for the Counsellor Arcana, unlocks in early May. Ranking it up grants mostly combat-oriented bonuses and gives the main character +5 to max SP per rank. You apparently need it to rank 9 by the end of the "normal" story to progress to the new content.

- The second new confidant, for the Faith Arcana, unlocks at the end of May. Again it grants mostly combat-oriented bonuses, including +5 to the main character's maximum HP per rank. You apparently need it to rank 5 by the end of the main story to progress to the new content and it's capped at rank 5 until you get to that new content.

- Confidants from the base game now get an extra dialogue per level, with the opportunity to further increase your affection with each conversation.

- The fusions needed to advance the Strength arcana have been changed, but if anything seem easier now.

- The cat locks you in your room a lot less than in the base game. On nights when you couldn't do anything previously, you can now still do activities at home or in the local area. There are new social-stat boosting activities you can do at home, making them much faster to rank up.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2020 19:43:52
    I'd forgotten just how long it takes to get through the game. I'm only just sending the calling card for the second dungeon after 20 hours of play.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Apr 2020 09:45:44 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @AaronTurner You don't go into this looking for a short game, that's for sure.

I'm in the gap between the second and third arcs now and trying to gauge how my progress is towards my target of a 100% confidant run (which I managed in the base game). I'm not using a guide and can't remember exactly what my equivalent level of progress was last time around, but my sense is that I'm well ahead on social stats, but maybe a touch behind on confidants. Having more evening slots to raise most social stats (bar Guts) makes it much faste to rank those and I'm currently 3 in Knowledge and Guts and 2 in the rest (and probably close to hitting 3 in those).

Guess I need to focus more on working through the confidant ranks now. From what I can tell, in theory it should be slightly easier to 100% confidant this compared to the original, because the number of new free timeslots (and other options for boosting social stats) should outweigh the addition of two new confidants.
  • gamecat 13 Apr 2020 14:04:03 965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Base game took me 120 hrs first time, 90 or so NG+, Royal probably adds another 15-20 hrs?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.