Persona 5 Page 63

• Armoured_Bear 18 Apr 2020 10:02:03 28,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After the first dungeon I've sat my first exams, have everything except kindness at 2 (still at 1) and have competed 2 requests in mementos. I'm still clueless as to when and which personas I should merge. Any tips?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Apr 2020 11:01:24 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Right... Persona fusion.

First things first, once the Strength confidant unlocks (which it should for you soon, if it hasn't already - it's automatic) you will need to do certain fusions to advance its rank. Those can be a bit obscure and you'll want a guide.

As far as regular fusion goes, late in the game there are some very powerful personas that can only be unlocked via fusion. However, at your point in the game, you don't need to worry about that. Instead, you want to merge and summon personas based on whether you're about to do dungeon crawling or social activity. Bear in mind, most of what I'm about to say is for the early and mid-game. Once you get into Autumn, you'll want to get a bit more advanced, but by that point you'll be more familiar with the game and its systems.

As a reminder, it's best not to dip in and out of dungeons. If you go to one, go properly and stay as long as you can, or ideally until you hit a hard barrier that requires story progress to unlock it. This is both an efficient use of time and easier on your fund (for reasons I'll come to in a minute).

When heading into a dungeon, it's best to do persona fusion at the start. Early on, what you're really aiming for is good coverage of the different elements across your personas. Through merges, try to make sure you have at least one holy, curse, fire, ice, wind and lightning attack, as well as a heal. This will help you exploit enemy weaknesses - your allies only get a single element each. Right now, you won't have an ice user at all among your allies (nor curse and holy), but you'll get one soon. Later in the game, you'll want to cover off nuke and psy attacks as well.

So whatever personas you had equipped, merge them down a bit to get higher level personas while keeping a good balance of elemental coverage. You can summon personas you've previously discarded, but this costs money. Try to leave a couple of free slots at the start of a dungeon so you can pick up new personas via hold ups without messing around your lineup. Don't forget that you can use skill inheritance to give a persona an elemental attack it wouldn't normally have (this is a bad idea for late-game, but an efficient thing to do for now).

At the end of a dungeon, you generally want to register your personas first. This updates the record of their level and the skills they've learned, so if you discard or merge that persona but decide you want to summon it later, it will come back with the levels and skills you'd earned on it (this can occasionally backfire late-game, but don't worry for now).

Once you've registered your personas, you then want to use a combination of merges and summons to get a persona equipped of the arcana of each of the confidants you want to progress. Summoning can get pricey, which is why you want to keep your dungeon crawling and social activity in discreet blocks, to minimise the amount of cash you spend switching around.

At your point in the game, this means Chariot (Ryuji), Lovers (Ann), Heirophant (Sojiro) and Death (Takemi). Fairly soon, you'll be able to unlock Sun (once you can go around Tokyo in the evenings, hang around with the politician in station square once, work at the beef bowl place twice, then hang around with him twice more). A couple of others will follow shorly afterwards (don't worry, the limit on the number of persona you can carry increases). By having a persona of the right arcana equipped when hanging out with a confidant, your relationship with them progresses faster.

You don't need to worry about confidants that advance automatically (e.g. Fool, Magician) or which have special requirements (e.g. Strength).
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Apr 2020 17:04:12 28,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    Thanks a lot, plenty to digest!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Apr 2020 22:37:59 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In my own playthrough of Royal, I've now cleared the fourth palace and done shitloads of confidant-levelling until the deadline passed. I was getting worried that I was a bit behind on some of my confidants, the evening ones in particular, but have made very rapid progress today. Chariot and Lovers are now maxed, as is Faith for the time being.

Having Justice be a confidant you have to level in Royal, rather than an automatic one, does add an extra level of stress, particularly since you need to rank 8 it by November to access the new story arc. But I'm making good progress on it, with it at rank 5 in late August.

Irritatingly, I didn't get Temperence to rank 10 before summer holidays started and you need a schoolday to pass before the final rank-up can occur. That meant a couple of wasted evening slots after the fourth palace runs (though at least in Royal you can use them for social stat raising). I've had to put Mementos on hold until the summer holiday ends.

Almost all social stats at 4 now, bar Kindness which is still lagging at 3. A good milestone is to have all stats to 4 by the end of the summer holidays and I think I'm nicely on track for that.

There's a reasonable chance I can 100% confidant this again, I think. Royal makes it harder in some ways (3 extra confidants to level, a few days knocked out to new story events), but easier in others (far more opportunities to raise social stats in what was previously dead-time, plus more opportunities to get affection with confidants).

Slightly wondering what the deal is with Kasumi (the new Faith confidant). She seems a little bit too sweetness-and-light for a Persona 5 character, but I suspect they're going to pull the rug on that later.

Edit: Also, the turbo-boost for confidant levelleing from the Fortune confidant now unlocks at rank 5, not rank 10. That's massively useful.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:38:52 18-04-2020
  • Garfy 19 Apr 2020 09:48:49 1,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon I'm at the point where I'll have all that time after completing the 4th palace last night with a month to go.

The next day I have 5 messages! Everyone wants a piece of Garfy Tunoku
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Apr 2020 15:18:00 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Left it for the day on the evening before the school trip. Feeling increasingly positive about my chances of 100%-confidant-ing this run.

Exited the summer holidays with all social stats at 4 and good progress on confidants. I still need to do the Mementos quest to unlock The Tower and I'm a bit low on Hermit and Hanged Man (though understandable as they both just unlocked). But progress on the others is excellent, with Chariot, Lovers and Temperence maxed and Faith at is temporary max.

After the school trip, I think I'm in for a pretty huge Mementos run. In addition to all the regular quests (of which I have a lot), I have the progression quests for Devil, Fortune and Death lined up.
  • Dave_McCoy 20 Apr 2020 18:46:11 3,271 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had no idea that if you press the touch pad a meow comes from the controller and if you rub the pad it purrs. Just accidentally found this whilst in Mementos so not sure if it's just then. Never saw that in 100+hrs of P5. Wonder if it's a Royal thing.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Apr 2020 20:39:29 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Approaching the 60 hour point now and in the middle of the fifth palace. This one's quite a big step up in combat difficulty. Thinking back, I noticed that on my first playthrough, but think I'd forgotten it since. The first elite enemy I fought came close to kicking my arse.

Having to play this much more carefully now and make much more extensive use of items.
  • Humperfunk 21 Apr 2020 23:02:10 8,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hit 70 hours today and just started the sixth palace, tremendous stuff. Only downer on the game so far was the boss in the fifth palace, I think they've made a change that's made it a ludicrous difficulty spike (my brother who has completed the normal game twice says its changed too from what he remembers).

Bit concerned about the Justice confidant as Roguey says, needs to be level 8 by a certain date in November but isn't moving from level 6 , I've got max stats in all but one category too so not sure what's going on...

Edit: actually looks like I am as far as I can be and the next rank is locked until a certain date now, phew

Edited by Humperfunk at 23:04:18 21-04-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Apr 2020 23:38:01 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Humperfunk Hmm... thanks for the warning. I paused mid-Palace tonight as my Mechwarrior 5 co-op partner came online, so ended up doing a few hours of Stompy Death Robots instead. Think I'm a bit over-levelled anyway and have a good stock of items.

As far as I can see, all of the new confidants have throttling limits. Justice only unlocks ranks at set intervals (but you have to be quick to grab the ranks while they're available). Faith can only go to 5 during the regular story. Counsellor goes to 10 during the regulat story, but is capped at 5 until after the summer holidays.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Apr 2020 17:19:49 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I'm playing through the (Japanese) demo of P5 Scramble. And it is so, so similar to P5 that it leaves me freshly flabbergasted as to why regular P5 isn't on the Switch. It has the same areas to wander around in! The same art! The same music! Yes it's now a Musou game, but why does Sony keep a stranglehold on the vanilla one. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Apr 2020 19:33:00 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Because Sony like money? It's more a PC version I'd have liked, but never mind...

In P5R, I'm now on 15 October and have just maxed my final social stat (Guts). Pretty confident about getting 100% confidant completion now.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Apr 2020 00:48:32 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is mainline Persona really worth that much money to them?

I mean, I guess it is, but I never thought that it was hot property to that extent. PERSONAS WANT TO BE FREE, LET THEM FROLIC ON OTHER PLATFORMS
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Apr 2020 08:27:45 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Mola_Ram They've never allowed the release of a mainline Persona on a non-Sony platform, have they? The series is a system-seller in Japan (and does well enough elsewhere).
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Apr 2020 12:38:16 28,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím in the middle of Palace 2 , can buy some more weapons such igniter or athame for Joker, battle hammer for Ryuji, scimitar for Morgana etc.

Is it worth getting this level of weapons just now?
    Any particular tips?
    Igniter appeals with the burn effect.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Apr 2020 12:41:32 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Mola_Ram They've never allowed the release of a mainline Persona on a non-Sony platform, have they? The series is a system-seller in Japan (and does well enough elsewhere).
    Yeah, I guess I just underestimate how popular it must be.

Kind of sucks for Atlas, though. If I were them I'd be champing at the bit to release P5 on everything.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Apr 2020 13:35:57 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear New weapons unlock in the store each time you move onto a new palace. If you have the cash, it's worth buying them. You can get better weapons in palaces from the chests that need a lockpick, but those tend to be fairly deep in each Palace.

In terms of priority for spending your cash: Personas > Melee Weapons > Ranged Weapons > Armour > Relics.

Get the Chariot confidant up to level 6 or so to get the ability that lets you auto-win battles from ambush. Then go to Mementos (this should unlock around now) and ambush weak mobs there for infinite cash.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Apr 2020 15:53:18 28,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear New weapons unlock in the store each time you move onto a new palace. If you have the cash, it's worth buying them. You can get better weapons in palaces from the chests that need a lockpick, but those tend to be fairly deep in each Palace.

In terms of priority for spending your cash: Personas > Melee Weapons > Ranged Weapons > Armour > Relics.

Get the Chariot confidant up to level 6 or so to get the ability that lets you auto-win battles from ambush. Then go to Mementos (this should unlock around now) and ambush weak mobs there for infinite cash.
    Thanks a lot, top man you are!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Apr 2020 23:22:53 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Left it for tonight on 17 November. I'm now at 78 hours played and having checked how many "open" days I have left, I'm looking very good indeed for maxing all confidants. Nearly there on the evening ones - just 2 levels of Star and 1 level of Hanged Man still to go. Daytime confidants should wrap up somewhere around 10-12 December, leaving a fair few days spare. All confidant-related Mementos quests have now been cleared.

Quite a lot of the new-to-Royal content is starting to drop now. Having not really done very much for most of the run so far, Kasumi is now starting to get more embedded in the plot. Also, the final "optional" confidant rank with Akechi is really quite awesome (when I say optional, it'a 100% required if you want to be able to progress to the third term).

Also need to pick "best waifu". Have rejected all of the romance options so far, but not yet at the decision point for Makoto, Futaba, Haru, Hifumi or Takemi. Alternatively, could ditch them all for now and do the romance path for Kasumi in the third term.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:23:26 25-04-2020
  • Humperfunk 27 Apr 2020 14:07:57 8,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've overtaken me now Roguey, I've been ill over the last week and played for maybe two or three hours :(

Hoping I'm better though and have played a bit today, finally ready to send the calling card for the sixth palace so I'm a few days behind your post above, albeit that was two days ago so suspect you're even further on! Maxed my final stat today (also guts) as well, bosh!
  • Nazo 27 Apr 2020 14:16:48 1,327 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm really enjoying Persona 5 Scramble; the battle system is a lot of fun, if a bit chaotic at times, and the mood is a bit lighter: it captures that P4 Scooby Gang vibe of a bunch of mates solving a mystery together that I missed in P5.
    Taking out the time-management elements has removed the sense of urgency from the game though; you can come and go from the dungeons pretty much as you please so HP / SP management is less of an issue than it would otherwise be.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Apr 2020 15:40:19 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I considered buying Scramble (I have the demo), but the exchange rate for getting Japanese eShop credit is pretty terrible right now.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Apr 2020 15:50:11 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Humperfunk I put in a few more hours yesterday, basically getting past the big run of cutscenes where the timeline catches up to the framing narrative. Stopped not long after, so I'm still on the last couple of days of November. Have just started my first "proper" run in the seventh palace (can't remember how many roadblocks there are in it that require you to go back to the real world).

Guts is a bit of a pain to max, as you have fewer options for doing it at home on the night when you can't go out. That said, while I've not looked up the numbers (which I'm sure are available), it felt like I needed to put a lot more timeslots into raising Charm and Knowledge than into the others.

Probably won't play as much mid-week, assuming my Mechwarrior 5 co-op partners are around.
  • Nazo 27 Apr 2020 15:55:54 1,327 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, my wife brought me a physical copy back from Japan while she was over there.
    I went with the PS4 version, some reviews I saw suggested the Switch version had slowdowns and a lower number of simultaneous enemies. I didn't notice anything in the demo but it does get more intense later on.
  • Humperfunk 27 Apr 2020 17:03:29 8,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon top stuff :) I've put some time in today, on the 7th of November so hoping to get up to the 18th to send the calling card today.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Apr 2020 20:27:03 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I got a little more of the 7th Palace done right now... this one's seriously big, though. Looks like it's Mechwarrior time now.
  • Garfy 28 Apr 2020 17:26:51 1,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How the flying fuck are you supposed to beat the boss of palace 5?!?

I fight endless waves of green guys and cant take them all down in time even with attacks they're supposedly weak to

So frustrating
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Apr 2020 17:31:41 8,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Garfy You need to take out a whole wave in the same turn. AoE attacks are your friend here. You should have the main character and another character with the appropriate element go wild on them with elemental AoE attacks. Chances are, one of the enemies will get a defense boost buff up, in which case you should use your other party members to put extra damage on that enemy.

It's a tough fight in terms of SP management, so having SP recovery items on hand before going in is pretty much essential.
  • Garfy 28 Apr 2020 17:59:27 1,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah I get how the fight is supposed to be played but I just think the way they've built it is broken.

It's like they couldn't figure out how to make it tougher than in the original without adding bullshit and taking away all out attack
  • Humperfunk 28 Apr 2020 18:47:42 8,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Garfy do not get me started on that cunt, took about four hours of repeated retries to do him, fucking infuriating and I don't remember it being that hard from the base game!

I'm right at the end of the 7th palace as we speak, put in some serious hours the last two days to make up for almost none last week, just hit hour 85 at the last save!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.