Persona 5 Page 64

• RyanDS 28 Apr 2020 20:20:14 13,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Getting stressed now. Forgot how much you lost for summer holidays etc, so now worried won't max the link I need to do the bonus content. Which after 55 hours of gameplay so far leaves me genuinely stressed.

Fingers crossed I have enough time...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Apr 2020 20:46:20 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @RyanDS You've got loads of time to max the links you need for the bonus content if you're still in September/October. None of them are tricky, though they've all got some throttling.

Councillor to level 9 by 18 November. Not too hard, despite his limited availability, as he's pretty quick to rank up. You can only do 1-5 before the summer holidays, with 6-9 unlocking from September onwards.

Justice to level 8 by 24 November. This is the one that will make you feel stressy, but it's actually fairly easy (it's just that the gating makes it feel harder). Pre-summer, Akechi's availability is pretty spotty and you can only get him to rank 5 anyway. Come autumn, he'll show up frequently in the evenings outside the billiard hall. You can do rank 6 in november, but 7 and 8 can only be done in November.

Faith to rank 5 by 18 December. Trivially easy. Kasumi shows up reasonably often and you only need 5 ranks of this. I had it done before the summer holidays.

In my own game, I've just secured the infiltration route in the seventh Palace. Not sure if I'll send the calling card tonight, though, as I might be about to get roped into some MW5.
  • RyanDS 28 Apr 2020 23:30:22 13,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah cheers. That makes me relax a bit. Fucking boss though after summer is kicking my arse. One to try in the morning again.
  • Humperfunk 28 Apr 2020 23:53:00 8,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Delivered the calling card and in front of the boss for palace 7, will do that straight away tomorrow, oof!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Apr 2020 23:53:45 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For what it's worth, my sense is that 100% confidanting in a single run is probably very slightly easier in Royal than in the base game. I'm on course to do it quite easily. In the base game, I managed it on the penultimate possible day. Part of this is down to me knowing the tricks and being more efficient - avoiding wasting slots and making good use of Fortune/Temperence.

But the increased number of slots available for levelling confidants and social stats (with that damned cat being a bit less Nazi) does help, as do the new bonuses to affection and stat-raising. Offset against that, you have several days that are now lost to compulsory events with the new confidants.

But on balance, probably slightly easier, particularly for the evening slots.
  • RyanDS 29 Apr 2020 12:23:46 13,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The 5th boss fight is utter bullshit. Wasted several hours now. Found an easy way to get to past the mobs, change difficulty to maximum and you can kill them super easy. But then the final guy I get down to low health just one shots my whole team even though everyone is set to defend.

Genuinely the worst boss fight I have seen in a JRPG.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Apr 2020 12:35:12 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @RyanDS Drop the difficulty below whatever you're playing on? I just stick to Easy for first playthroughs of Persona games, with the harder difficulties for NG+. On Easy, the fight's clearly a step up on previous ones, but isn't that bad. I also mixed in a few of the elemental item-attacks just to keep the "Once More/Baton Pass" cycle going. The damage bonuses from that really help.

I doubt I'm going to get much more done until weekend, but I'm hopefully going to plough through the rest of the base game and get onto the new content at the weekend.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Apr 2020 13:25:08 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You guys don't hang about, I've left the calling card for palace 2 and I'm in there, trying to get the remaining 2 wisps before facing the boss. I might nip out and go back in with more items though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Apr 2020 13:28:57 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear The second palace's boss is pretty easy - in fact, easier in Royal than in the original.

By and large, unless you really do get stuck, it's best to clear palaces in as few visits as possible. Leaves more timeslots open for the social stuff.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Apr 2020 13:31:11 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear The second palace's boss is pretty easy - in fact, easier in Royal than in the original.

By and large, unless you really do get stuck, it's best to clear palaces in as few visits as possible. Leaves more timeslots open for the social stuff.
    ok, cheers, it's only 2nd visit to the Palace, ah, sorry 3rd. If I do it today It'll be as quick as possible then.
    About to start my first part time job at the beef bowl so I can bond with the politician :)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Apr 2020 14:17:02 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Yeah, the politician confidant (Sun) is a good one to unlock. Most rank-ups with it give you +3 to Charm, which is a really helpful bonus to get early on. The boosts to negotiation with shadows in dungeons are also helpful.

Plus it's a rare confidant which, once unlocked, has no social stat or Mementos throttling, so it can go right to rank 10 fairly early in the game (though this isn't necessarily the best idea).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Apr 2020 22:59:35 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Right, cleared the seventh palace tonight, before Meching. Went on to complete the evening confidants on 28 November. On course to finish the daytime confidants on or around 11 December. I left things on 5 December, with most at rank 10, but Death, Emperor, Empress, Tower and Priestess at 9. I've got significantly more of a safety margin than I had in my playthrough of the base game, where I got the last confidant to 10 on the last possible day.

I've turned down all romance options so far. Thought I'd go that route on Kasumi/Faith in the new content.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Apr 2020 23:48:16 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Yeah, the politician confidant (Sun) is a good one to unlock. Most rank-ups with it give you +3 to Charm, which is a really helpful bonus to get early on. The boosts to negotiation with shadows in dungeons are also helpful.

Plus it's a rare confidant which, once unlocked, has no social stat or Mementos throttling, so it can go right to rank 10 fairly early in the game (though this isn't necessarily the best idea).
    Early on? FFS I've taken 30 hours to do 2 palaces and reach level 20!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Apr 2020 00:01:07 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Yeah, that's early. At your current pace, you're probably headed for around 110 hours for the base game, leaving aside however long the Royal content is.
  • Dave_McCoy 30 Apr 2020 00:20:31 3,290 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've hit a difficulty spike as well it seems at 5th palace I just don't have the damage to clear the four big robots at once before they run off. What with that an the constant debuffs it's a tricky one. Going to fuse something more powerful for that part of the fight and mess them up though.
  • RyanDS 30 Apr 2020 08:40:18 13,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    I've hit a difficulty spike as well it seems at 5th palace I just don't have the damage to clear the four big robots at once before they run off. What with that an the constant debuffs it's a tricky one. Going to fuse something more powerful for that part of the fight and mess them up though.
    Try raise difficulty to max. It makes weaknesses do more damage so ironically makes that fight easier.
  • Dave_McCoy 30 Apr 2020 12:12:03 3,290 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @RyanDS Yeah, I keep forgetting I can change the difficulty and there's no influence on the trophies. Cheers, I'll give it a go

Edited by Dave_McCoy at 12:12:18 30-04-2020
  • RyanDS 30 Apr 2020 13:23:03 13,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    @RyanDS Yeah, I keep forgetting I can change the difficulty and there's no influence on the trophies. Cheers, I'll give it a go
    Don't forget, for that fight it is easier on Merciless than normal.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Apr 2020 19:19:55 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    9 December and I just finished the last of the "manual" confidants (Empress). Compared to my run through the base-game, where I managed that on the absolute last possible day, that's a pretty healthy safety margin.

Edited by Rogueywon at 19:20:17 30-04-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2020 20:36:31 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Yeah, that's early. At your current pace, you're probably headed for around 110 hours for the base game, leaving aside however long the Royal content is.
    Free as a bird after Palace 2, time to spend lots of time with confidants I take it...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Apr 2020 20:39:07 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Yep, definitely a good time for that. You should have more unlocking soon, as well. Don't forget to have a persona of the relevant arcana equipped when hanging out with a confidant.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2020 20:46:10 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Yep, definitely a good time for that. You should have more unlocking soon, as well. Don't forget to have a persona of the relevant arcana equipped when hanging out with a confidant.
    I thought I always had all Persona equipped, how do I do that then?
  • Humperfunk 30 Apr 2020 22:09:18 8,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Into January now, had to stop as the illness that has been kicking my arse recently has flared up, fucking annoying as just want to smash all the new stuff now!

Hope I'm better tomorrow.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Apr 2020 23:19:00 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear You can only hold a certain number of personas at once. You can view which ones you have equipped from the Personas tab on the menu. To begin with, I think it's 8 max, but this grows as you progress through the game.

Right now, you will definitely want personas of the following arcana equipped:

Chariot (Ryuji)
    Lovers (Ann)
    Heirophant (Sojiro)
    Councillor (Takuto)
    Death (Takemi)
    Moon (Mishima)
    Sun (Yoshida)

Fairly soon, you will also get access to Temperence (from 24 May, requires Guts rank 3) and Emperor (from 14 June).

If you don't have the right ones equipped, go to the Velvet Room entrance in Shibuya and fuse/summon personas until you do (this doesn't cause time to pass).

Edit: Ooops, and Faith (Kasumi) unlocks in early May as well, but you only need rank 5 with her for the time being.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:20:14 30-04-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Apr 2020 23:31:46 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Actually, while we're at it, a few more things on confidants, aimed at new players like Armoured_Bear:

- Some confidants level up automatically as the plot progresses, but most need to be advanced manually.

- It is not necessary to complete any of the manual confidants to get the true-end, with three exceptions in Royal. In Royal, you MUST get Justice to rank 8 and Councillor to rank 9 by mid November and Faith to rank 5 by mid December.

- However, certain late game scenes have extra content added for each confidant you have maxed. Plus these are significant story arcs and a big part of the game, so seeing as many as possible to completion is a good thing.

- All of the manually-advanced female confidants have romance and friendship routes. You get a choice, clearly flagged, at rank 9. There will be an obvious romance option and an obvious friendzone option.

- While you can romance all of them if you want, this isn't recommended. Very late in the game there is a date with your chosen romance partner(s). If you have more than one, it turns into a shitshow and you end up alone. So monogamy is the way to go.

- Some confidants can't be taken past a certain point until a certain date. Heirophant can't go past 5 until the end of Summer. Justice can only go to 5 before Summer and to 6 in September. 7-8 unlock in November (and 9-10 are automatic). Faith is capped at 5 until January.

- In the base game, there was a trophy for maxing all confidants in a single run. Guessing there is in Royal as well.

- Your social stats carry over into NG+, which makes a 100% confidant run trivial in NG+

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:34:56 30-04-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2020 23:45:31 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear You can only hold a certain number of personas at once. You can view which ones you have equipped from the Personas tab on the menu. To begin with, I think it's 8 max, but this grows as you progress through the game.

Right now, you will definitely want personas of the following arcana equipped:

Chariot (Ryuji)
    Lovers (Ann)
    Heirophant (Sojiro)
    Councillor (Takuto)
    Death (Takemi)
    Moon (Mishima)
    Sun (Yoshida)

Fairly soon, you will also get access to Temperence (from 24 May, requires Guts rank 3) and Emperor (from 14 June).

If you don't have the right ones equipped, go to the Velvet Room entrance in Shibuya and fuse/summon personas until you do (this doesn't cause time to pass).

Edit: Ooops, and Faith (Kasumi) unlocks in early May as well, but you only need rank 5 with her for the time being.
    Thanks again for your help.
  • Humperfunk 1 May 2020 23:11:00 8,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Smashed a load again today and secured a route to the treasure, reckon I'll probably complete it this weekend (although got another load of quizzes to do online, sigh, fuck me I'm bored of them). Just hit 101 and a half hours, huge time sink but 100 hours in this flown by compared to things like the 33 I put into FFVIIR which dragged like fuck. The sign of a masterpiece of a game really.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2020 23:35:50 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    I did a bit of fusioning and buying but canít get heiro, moon or sun ( I worked twice in the beef bowl so want to chat to Yoshida). Should I hit Mementos?
    How can I easily get more Persona slots? Iím full and the arcana I have which I donít need for confidants are my higher ones.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 May 2020 23:37:47 9,336 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Yeah, if you can't fuse persona of the right arcana, go to Mementos. You can get any persona there that you may have missed in the palace.

The increase in persona slots is tied to plot progression. At set points, your limit will be upgraded to 10 and then 12 personas.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 May 2020 00:36:02 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Yeah, if you can't fuse persona of the right arcana, go to Mementos. You can get any persona there that you may have missed in the palace.

The increase in persona slots is tied to plot progression. At set points, your limit will be upgraded to 10 and then 12 personas.
    Thanks, can I just "park" my higher level ones which I don't need till the next palace somehow?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.