Persona 5 Page 65

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 May 2020 09:02:33 9,336 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Yes. When you add a persona to your lineup, either through persuasion or fusion, it is automatically added to your persona registry. When you go into the Velvet Room, one of your options is "Register/Summon Personas". This lets you summon any persona in your registry, albeit for a cash price.

You can also use that section to "bank" the levels you've earned on a persona by registering them. So lets say you went to a Palace with a persona at level 18 and used it a lot while you were there, so it hit level 21. Maybe you've even used a card to teach it a new skill. When you're done in the Palace, go to the Velvet Room and go to the "Register Personas" option. By registering your level 21 Persona, you can ensure that if you summon the Persona again later, you will summon it at level 21, with it still having any skills it learned. You almost always want to make registering Personas the first thing you do when you go to the Velvet Room.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 May 2020 10:52:58 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Yes. When you add a persona to your lineup, either through persuasion or fusion, it is automatically added to your persona registry. When you go into the Velvet Room, one of your options is "Register/Summon Personas". This lets you summon any persona in your registry, albeit for a cash price.

You can also use that section to "bank" the levels you've earned on a persona by registering them. So lets say you went to a Palace with a persona at level 18 and used it a lot while you were there, so it hit level 21. Maybe you've even used a card to teach it a new skill. When you're done in the Palace, go to the Velvet Room and go to the "Register Personas" option. By registering your level 21 Persona, you can ensure that if you summon the Persona again later, you will summon it at level 21, with it still .
    having any skills it learned. You almost always want to make registering Personas the first thing you do when you go to the Velvet Room.
    Cool, I have been registering so that means I can just make sure I have them all registered, hit mementos and dump any of the personas not needed at the moment for confidant boosts when I get some others , I can then fuse if needed to get say sun and moon(which Iím missing).
    I do my normal life stuff then before the next palace I summon my highest level personas with a good spread of abilities. Is that it?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 May 2020 12:46:21 9,336 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Exactly, yes. When going to palaces, you want high level Persona with a good range of elemental attacks. For the social side of the game, it's all about arcana matching.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 May 2020 15:29:24 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Exactly, yes. When going to palaces, you want high level Persona with a good range of elemental attacks. For the social side of the game, it's all about arcana matching.
    Great, thanks again for all your help.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 May 2020 22:53:45 9,336 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Right, so, I finished the base game, clocking in at the 93 hour mark, and am now into the entirely new Royal content. I've got past the point where I reject Maruki's offer and I now have the usual deadline counter up on-screen. I'm going to try to go as light as possible on spoilers in the block below, despite the tags, but it's hard to talk about some of this stuff without at least moderate spoilage of the base game's ending, in both original and Royal versions. So be really careful about mousing over it.

I'm not sure how I feel yet about them changing the base game's ending, if you go for the "true" route in Royal. The original true ending, where Joker is arrested and then released some time later felt tonally and thematically perfect. Having Akechi step in to take the rap is fine on one level - he was the actual perpetrator of the most serious crimes - but it feels uncharacteristically kind for a game with as harsh an edge as Persona 5. Still, I'm only early-doors in the third semester content yet, so I'm still very hopeful indeed that they can pull off something even more awesome.

I suspected pretty early that Kasumi's storyline was going to go some dark places. She was just too damned peppy for this game. Guess I was right on that point. And then some... I'm still suspecting this new palace might be hers, not Maruki's. I was watching carefully during the scene where she first finds the palace (back in the summer) and it's her own name that seems to act as a keyword.

In less spoilerific territory, I used my free days at the end of the base game to mess around with some of the new social stuff you can do (which I'd earlier negelcted in my push for a 100%-confidant run. Some of it's pretty neat.

Billiards: Gives you an increase to a random social stat and a slight increase to your affection will all members of the Phantom Thieves. This is automatic - no mini-game involved. After you do it once, you'll be stopped by a guy at the end who mentiosn a book on billiards to you. Buy it from the sports shop in the Underground Mall and read it. After that, the next two times you play billiards, you'll get a permanent boost to Technical attacks, making them do more damage and be more likely to cause a knockdown. After getting both, you're given another book. Read that then play once more for a further buff to Technicals, which makes them a guaranteed knockdown.

Darts: Allows you to pick a Phantom Thief to play alongside (and a random other will show up for the ride). For this one, you actually have to win the mini-game. Winning increases the level of your partner's baton passes, giving them HP and SP regen from them. And no, I don't know how Morgana plays darts. There's a book sold in the Shinjuku bookshop late in the game that makes the minigame much easier.

Jazz Club: Try to go on a night when a singer is in. Increases your affection with a chosen party member significantly and can also boost their max-HP and give them a big wodge of XP.

Temple: Meditate during the day to gain max-SP. The more often you meditate, the more SP you gain each time.
  • Humperfunk 3 May 2020 16:49:11 8,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Credits rolling, 107 hours of magic. By miles my game of the generation, replacing Persona 5 itself.

Got the Platinum as well, very straight forward and much easier than the original game!

What I would give for them to remake 3 and 4 in this engine. Or even just release them both on PS4 as they are, what a series.
  • RyanDS 3 May 2020 16:55:48 13,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    90 hours in and have just reached the present. I can't believe I am excited every spare moment to play a game I have already completed with 100 hours the first time...

Loving every second, and can't get over how much rage and anger this game is fillef with. Looks nice on surface but it is angry as fuck.

23rd November and still have 5 links on 7 or 8 so am not sure if will get them all.

Edited by RyanDS at 16:56:20 03-05-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 May 2020 17:23:35 9,336 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've stopped for the weekend now. I'm in mid-January and pushing on through the new Royal content. It is indeed an awesome game and, unless it fumbles things in the final straight, my game of the generation by a country mile.

Looks like you get some more time to do confidants in January, the evening ones at least. Possibly some of the daytime ones as well.

And yes, P5 is an incredibly angry game. To my mind, that's what really sets it above the others in the series, particularly the brighter, poppier P4. But remakes of P3 and P4 on this engine? Yes please... P3 in particular deserves a fresh outing on modern tech.
  • RyanDS 3 May 2020 17:33:28 13,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I've stopped for the weekend now. I'm in mid-January and pushing on through the new Royal content. It is indeed an awesome game and, unless it fumbles things in the final straight, my game of the generation by a country mile.

Looks like you get some more time to do confidants in January, the evening ones at least. Possibly some of the daytime ones as well.

And yes, P5 is an incredibly angry game. To my mind, that's what really sets it above the others in the series, particularly the brighter, poppier P4. But remakes of P3 and P4 on this engine? Yes please... P3 in particular deserves a fresh outing on modern tech.
    On second play through of p4g I didn't think it was brighter. It was just more subtle. Really sad with being about abandonment and loneliness.

Edit. Thinking back, the junes tube was the highlight/ lowlight. A little girls who's favourite place and song was a shop. Really sad and really played up the theme.

Edited by RyanDS at 17:39:45 03-05-2020
  • Garfy 3 May 2020 20:22:03 1,476 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Beat boss 5 on normal!!

Fuck you asshole!!! 😅

I hadn't played since my first session at it and nearly didnt bother going back at all, but I'm glad I did

Edited by Garfy at 20:35:18 03-05-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 May 2020 23:32:22 4,012 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Credits rolling, 107 hours of magic. By miles my game of the generation, replacing Persona 5 itself.

Got the Platinum as well, very straight forward and much easier than the original game!

What I would give for them to remake 3 and 4 in this engine. Or even just release them both on PS4 as they are, what a series.
    The fact that it is only a few years since I completed P5 (I didn't platinum it but a pretty extensive job on my one 100hr+ playthrough) is still making me hold back on buying this right away. At least P4G had handheld factor as an extra selling point (and I hadn't actually played PS2 game too far) and a month travelling Russia got me through most of this game.

I am waiting to see a few more opinions like yours from people who did both the original and this for how different an experience it is (I generally don't NG+ games and this will feel like one). I left off on the Switch Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the same reason (I gather there is a lot less new content in TMS than P5R though). The lockdown hasn't helped my reluctances either to be honeat nor my backlog.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 May 2020 21:36:21 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can buy Ambergris from Jose.
    Worth it?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 May 2020 22:42:31 9,336 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear It's ok. You can use it to increase the stats of Personas when you use the strengthen thing on them in the Velvet Room.

Jose is a pretty easy way to farm useful consumables. You can get flowers just by driving around Mementos. If you're in a bit where enemies are auto-defeated (may required Chariot level 6 or so) it's trivial to get a large quantity very quickly. You don't need to have FOMO with Jose.

I left things tonight on 25 January. I think I'm nearly done now. I've got a route to the treasure in the palace, which is a bloody long one, pretty much on a par with the 7th, have maxed all confidants and seem to be guaranteed a Platinum provided I finish the game.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 May 2020 22:56:23 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm, so between some Mementos fighting and fusioning I can setup most of my Persona list to match the confidants. However, if my pack is full I can't summon. How do I "drop" personas?
    Oh and why can't I register fused personas?
  • Humperfunk 4 May 2020 22:59:47 8,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I believe once fused they are automatically registered, when you select "register personas" it will only be ones you've levelled up above what you have registered...if that makes sense!

To drop personas, go to the Persona bit of the menu and you press Options to "delete" them.

Edited by Humperfunk at 23:00:29 04-05-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 May 2020 23:10:02 9,336 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Had a reply all typed, but yeah, what Humperfunk said.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 May 2020 23:12:55 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks guys!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 May 2020 22:43:38 9,336 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And finished. 111 hours on the clock, 18 of them in the entirely new content. Platinum Trophy. Fucking superb game. Game of the Generation without a doubt. Sorry, Witcher 3, you were awesome and probably tied with the base game, but Royal has you beat.

Some general (non-spoiler) observations on the gameplay and enhancements made by Royal. Obviously, as with P3:FES and P4:Golden before it, it's an expanded upgrade, not a complete overhaul. It's much more graceful than FES was (ugh, that Answer arc) and a moderate degree better than Golden. The new characters are smoothly integrated and, despite some initial misgivings (elaborated on in the spoiler-tagged paragraphs below), the new story elements feel like a genuine enhancement to the base game, not a pointless epilogue (FES) or a side-story (Golden).

They've made a few changes to comabt - nothing radical, but all improvements. The ability to power up baton passes makes them far more useful (verging on indispensible later in the game). The greater variety of encounter-types is appreciated. The new systems around technical attacks are also decent.

The social side of the game is probably a bit easier to max out now. The phone calls added to the end of confidant sequences makes them much easier to advance - I can count the number of non-rank-up hang-outs I did in my entire playthrough on the fingers of one hand. Similarly, the expanded opportunities to boost your social stats make levelling those much faster. The game throws so many opportunities to improve Knowledge at you that barring a few slots in the first two months, I barely had to spend time slots studying at all. The new content at the end also adds some extra timeslots you can use to rank up almost all confidants (barring Sun), which helps if you hit the end of the base game a bit short. There's new stuff to do in those new slots, but you still get a net gain in free time.

And now for the spoilery stuff. This is very spoilery. Do not read the paragraphs below unless you have already completed Royal through to the true ending, or genuinely don't care about being spoilered on it.

I admit, I was worried when I got to the end of the base-game content and they rewrote the ending. While there's a certain logic to Akechi handing himself in to the police in place of the protagonist, it risk robbing the original ending of much of its punch. The game is utterly brutal to its main cast throughout and Joker having to go through a period of imprisonment before his eventual acquittal just felt perfectly fitting for the game's tone and themes. To lose that, even for a bunch of new content, felt a risky trade.

But of course, that's not how it really works out. The new content actually does a thoughtful epilogue to the main plot. It asks the question "Ok, this is a game that has brutalised its main cast and inflicted every possible injustice on them... so would it be better if that had never happened?" And if you follow it through to the true end, you get a satisfying conclusion to that, plus the original ending is re-instated in full (plus some extra scenes to incorporate resolutions to the new Royal content.

Maruki feels like a clever addiiton to the game's lineup of villains. He's separated from them by not being a cunt, but his view of the world is still severely warped. And just as earlier arcs critiqued genuine Japanese (and in some cases global) social scandals, the Maruki arc has some sharp critique of self-help cults.

Kasumi/Sumire, meanwhile, is a real stand-out. I twigged early on that her arc in the base game months was just too upbeat and her struggles too superficial for P5. Her story arc until you hit January feels much more akin to one of the P3 confidant arcs, when they were much less elaborate and carefully written. She hits a slump in her sport, has a few consequences at school and gets over it. That's not very P5. But from the start of January... my word that goes dark places. I ended up picking her as my romance path, which ended up feeling curiously like part of the true end once the credits rolled.

Anyway, it's done now and I'm fully expecting to get the general sense of ennui and gaming burnout for a few weeks that I always get after finishing a big game of extremely high quality. Maybe FF7 remake will help me stave that off.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:43:49 05-05-2020
  • Humperfunk 6 May 2020 01:01:42 8,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice one Roguey, excellent thoughts in those spoiler tagged paragraphs.

Hope you enjoy FFVIIR more than I did, did 50 hours of this before playing it and 55 hours after and my word does it make FFVIIR look poor in comparison, in my eyes anyway!

I've gone back to Yakuza 2 which is absolutely tremendous, was concerned I'd have the "post epic game slump" but fortunately this has been wonderful as ever with Yakuza.
  • Deleted user 6 May 2020 07:02:58
    Just started this last night. Forgot how awesome everything is presented in this. More engaged in the first hour of this than Ff7R.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 May 2020 23:02:10 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm about to send the card for the 3rd palace boss and just had my first siren alarm fusioning. Before I go for the boss I wanted to level up with my confidants a bit, went to the councillor, he was marked as 1up on the map but when I got to him, he said he doesn't have time.
    What's going on there?

The Showtime skit with Moragana and Ann is properly awesome, game is properly nuts in a good way. I also laughed out loud at Ann's sexy technique with "onegai" :D
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 May 2020 23:10:05 9,336 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear What level is your Councillor confidant? He's gated at level 5 until after the summer holidays. If he's below 5, you might just have tried on a day where some other event was blocking it.

To see all the Royal edition content, you need to get three confidants to particular levels. If I remember:

- Councillor to 9 by mid-November. Can only go to 5 before the summer holidays. 6-9 unlock in September. Very easy, no particular trick to this one.

- Justice to 8 by mid-November. Can only go to 5 before the summer holidays. 6 unlocks in September and 7-8 in late-October/early-November. Availability isn't great so keep an eye on text messages.

- Faith to 5 by mid-December. Piss-easy.

And yeah, the Showtime skits rock. Some of the later ones are even more OTT. The Ann/Makoto one (unlocks quite late) is my favorite.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 May 2020 23:23:34 29,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear What level is your Councillor confidant? He's gated at level 5 until after the summer holidays. If he's below 5, you might just have tried on a day where some other event was blocking it.

To see all the Royal edition content, you need to get three confidants to particular levels. If I remember:

- Councillor to 9 by mid-November. Can only go to 5 before the summer holidays. 6-9 unlock in September. Very easy, no particular trick to this one.

- Justice to 8 by mid-November. Can only go to 5 before the summer holidays. 6 unlocks in September and 7-8 in late-October/early-November. Availability isn't great so keep an eye on text messages.

- Faith to 5 by mid-December. Piss-easy.

And yeah, the Showtime skits rock. Some of the later ones are even more OTT. The Ann/Makoto one (unlocks quite late) is my favorite.
    Thanks a lot, you're right about Maruki, he is at 5.
    I have the following:

Fool - Prison Master - 5
    Magician - Moragana 4
    Emperor - Yusuke - 3
    Hiero - Sojiro - 4
    Lovers - Ann - 5
    Chariot - Ryuji - 5
    Kustice - Goro Akechi - 3
    Strength - Twin Wardens - 1
    Death Back-alley Doctor - 7
    Devil - Ichiko Ohya - 2
    Moon - Mishima - 4
    Sun - Man of the People - 4
    Faith - Kasumi Yoshizawa - 2
    Councillor - Takuto Maruki - 5

Any I should concentrate on more than others at this stage?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.