Medusa 5.1 / Shuttle Audio help

• Mike_Hunt 15 Feb 2005 18:31:10 23,524 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well my new headphones turned up. I was initially impressed, nice packaging, great build quality, looks pretty neat too.

However, I've plugged them in and I'm having a few problems.

Firstly there's an annoying "crackle" at random times (every couple of seconds or so) I've managed to minimise this by messing about with volume levels, but it's still not perfect.

Secondly I can't get my centre speaker and sub channels to work. I'm using the Nvida mixer supplied with my Shuttle and even though I crank them up I still see nothing on the VU metres for those channels and adjusting the "centre" dial on the headphones makes no difference to the bass.

Finally, I'm not overly impressed with the separation between the front and rear channels (I'm having difficulty detecting where sound is coming from).

This all sounds like my system isn't set up for 5.1, does anyone know a way to double check, or do any other Shuttle owners know of an option than needs to be selected?

Thanks,

[MH]
  • BravoGolf Moderator 15 Feb 2005 18:35:28 12,778 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    On the Halo 2 DVD (that comes with the limited edition of the game), there is a most excellent and handy 5.1 sound test....do you have that?

If not, I'm sure there must be an app or file that does the same thing online. Otherwise, I'll send you the DVD ;)
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Feb 2005 18:37:18 23,524 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    :) I've got Halo 2, but my Xbox isn't hooked up to a 5.1 amp.

If there was an only test that would be a start... Good idea.

[MH]
  • Whizzo 15 Feb 2005 18:40:04 44,807 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Make sure the CD/DVD selector switch on the remote is set to DVD, otherwise it dumps the whole centre aspect to the left side. When it's working you'll hear the centre right in the middle of your head.

Been ages since I've used Nvidia's sound drivers but make sure the desktop speaker setting in the XP control panel is set to 5.1 and there should also be a similar setting in the Soundstorm control panel.

To be honest it's difficult to actually appreciate the front/rear seperation with the test programs you tend to have, you really need to run a game with good 3D sound separation. Most do a very good job these days.

This tester isn't bad.

Edited by Whizzo at 18:50:33 15-02-2005
  • bainbrge 15 Feb 2005 18:41:47 1,687 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    AFAIK the shuttle doesn't decode 5.1 channels properly unless you use the dolby digital output. I am assuming you are using the analogue outs, which need some kind of software driver to enable surround sound (like that included in Doom 3).

If you are using digital, there is a utility to set it up, can't remember what called. Try www.nforcershq.com
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Feb 2005 18:44:20 23,524 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hmm, I'm just using analogue, and it appears to be the failing of the test program. As I was able to get the bass & centre working thanks to a 5.1 demo MP3 file. I'll see if I can get them working in game too (still not impressed with the separtation at the moment).

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Feb 2005 18:56:52 23,524 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well that's it sorted - it was the Nvida Mixer that was messing things up. I've just had 5 minutes in Doom 3 and it sounds amazing, great separtation and as for the bass... well it was massaging my brain!

/hands over MH's dolphin of approval

/is all out of seals

[MH]
  • Whizzo 15 Feb 2005 19:39:58 44,807 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:I've just had 5 minutes in Doom 3 and it sounds amazing, great separtation and as for the bass... well it was massaging my brain!
    DIII's sound is excellent and well worth a test with the headphones, yes that is me saying something positive about the game! :-)

One of the first thing people get used to is finding the bass controls in the soundcard's audio setup for precisely the reason you've described. Have too many big explosions with them on and your head will most likely collapse.

/slaps Mike around face with large fish for that seal joke.
  • Nemesis 15 Feb 2005 20:00:28 19,721 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Well that's it sorted - it was the Nvida Mixer that was messing things up. I've just had 5 minutes in Doom 3 and it sounds amazing, great separtation and as for the bass... well it was massaging my brain!

/hands over MH's dolphin of approval

/is all out of seals

[MH]

Surreal.

/is currently installing D3.

I found I had to put the CD Audio right down on mine to stop the sound going arse. I would like to put the Audigy2 back in the machine, but I've got a wireless card currently doing so.
  • Nemesis 15 Feb 2005 21:15:33 19,721 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    /strokes X800

Man. Seriously nice looking game.
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Feb 2005 22:38:31 23,524 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, I can't understand people's hatred of it. It's *stunning*. Sure the story isn't up to much, but it's an improvement on the first Doom's where it was virtually non-existant.

The models are amazing aren't they? Still, try and find one with hair... g'wan...

[MH]
  • WoodenSpoon 15 Feb 2005 22:47:00 12,360 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I liked the Imps. If the game had had more corridors with more Imps, then it would have been better. I loved it while I played it, but I tried and couldn't go through it again.
  • Nemesis 16 Feb 2005 10:51:02 19,721 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    You can see where they've only done half a face and then mirrored it.

Cheap gits. You can see the join!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.