No Man's Sky Page 284

• OnlyJoeKing 12 Aug 2018 20:26:23 908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has the latest patch improved performance on PC at all? Very interested if anyone has an i5...
  • Gibroon 12 Aug 2018 20:38:25 2,133 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @stephenb

It should do but if you left the last one at a trading post then it might be a bit easier to find. If you know what planet you left it on, the white trading lines you see in space should lead you to a trading station. Not always easy to follow them depending on lighting etc.

I'm sure my pal did the same thing and it turned up on the freighter. Probably always best to at least fix the launch thrusters.
  • Gibroon 12 Aug 2018 21:22:24 2,133 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mickerty 15 Aug 2018 19:33:41 345 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So are there now missions like in elite at space stations? Can I accept bounty missions or freight haulage?
  • Tomo 15 Aug 2018 20:27:42 16,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    Has the latest patch improved performance on PC at all? Very interested if anyone has an i5...
    Just seen this. I'm on a 2 year old i5, 970 running at 3440x1440 with most stuff on Low and it doesn't run particularly well. Get 30-50 FPS. It's playable definitely and looks pretty good just because of the resolution but it doesn't feel like it should tax my computer as hard as it does. Plenty of better looking games that run fine. Perhaps the procedural nature of it doesn't help.
  • quadfather 20 Aug 2018 09:32:43 34,489 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I fired this up again after god knows how long. I think the last time I played it was when they were advertising the base building with that 60's themed advert - the atlas update? Whatever, it was then, anyway.

Started a new game to see what was different. Quite liked the starting changes where it provides you with enough to do so you've already completed building refiners, base computers, a shelter etc while sorting your ship out. And getting stuff is still the obvious grind, but it seems a bit easier this time round. Didn't take me long to sort the hyperdrive out and while I generally know how the game runs, I was on my third hyperspace jump in about an hour or so.

No doubt the shine will fade again with time, but I'll plug away and see how it goes.

I do like the new ringed planets though.

Starting ship is still a piece of shit, as always :) Saw a really nice one in a space station. 47 million ffs! Time to start scanning planets
  • Scimarad 20 Aug 2018 10:58:42 9,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Putting a few upgrades next to your scanner seriously boosts the money you get from scanning plants and animals. Don't bother trying to put more than three, though.

I notice you can actually get uncharted systems now, as well as abandoned station.
  • quadfather 20 Aug 2018 11:06:58 34,489 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Putting a few upgrades next to your scanner seriously boosts the money you get from scanning plants and animals. Don't bother trying to put more than three, though.

I notice you can actually get uncharted systems now, as well as abandoned station.
    I didn't know that - what upgrades would you recommend?

I like all the abandoned stuff - I love finding random old hidden stuff on planets. Same buzz as exploring the story for Horizon Zero Dawn for me.
  • Scimarad 20 Aug 2018 13:13:32 9,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Basically, just look for S or A grade upgrades for the scanner when you see them in the multi tool shop whenever you go to a new station. If you place them next to each other you get an additional boost. I think it's very useful to have a plasma launcher and some mining beam upgrades as well. You can always use lower grade ones and swap them out for S or A grade ones when you find them.
  • quadfather 20 Aug 2018 13:17:37 34,489 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Scimarad

Ah right I know what you mean now and yes I remember having to put them next to each other for the cumulative bonus.

Cheers
  • robthehermit 20 Aug 2018 13:19:10 7,309 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Definitely get an S Scanner upgrade. You'll be getting over 100k for scanning animals. Should cost you around 450 nanites at any space station. They're not transferable though, so you'll need to buy another one if you get a new tool. An economy scanner for your ship (you can purchase the blueprint) is also handy as you can scan for trading posts on planets which makes a half decent starting point for exploration and shelter from the elements.
  • quadfather 20 Aug 2018 13:21:32 34,489 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice one! Cheers guys
  • magicpanda 20 Aug 2018 13:23:57 14,845 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The've pulled quite the turnaround with this. Love it.

My only problem is I had to turn off networking. I was less that 2 hours into a new game and 2 random people turned up and destroyed my single building base and just killed me over and over until I worked out you have to restart the client for the off setting to take effect.

Is it a design choice that someone can just walk into your game and edit and delete everything? Seems very odd.

Didn't bother me at the time as It was literally a few walls but if it happened now I'd be fucking furious.
  • quadfather 20 Aug 2018 13:41:37 34,489 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @magicpanda

That would bug me too. I've left everything on but I'll go offline if cockheads start doing that.

I need to concentrate and get a shitload of cash next I think
  • quadfather 20 Aug 2018 13:41:50 34,489 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Gibroon 20 Aug 2018 22:00:56 2,133 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I'd be a bit pissed about losing my base. I don't think you can actually destroy buildings with weapons but you can use the terrain manipulator to dig under the ground of the buildings and eventually they just disappear.

I'm also not sure how the base computer terminal works. You can upload the base design but after that I'm at a loss to what it does. Can you just reload your base design if someone breaks it by accident?
  • Gustie 21 Aug 2018 13:18:18 6 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I've tried playing after the latest update and it strains my computer somehow where it used to work fine on the initial release of the game..

I think it's something to do with all the rendering of graphics as they add more and more content to the processing. In consoles it's fine and smooth.

So i totally understand peole who refunded the game like for the second time, and it's maybe a problem on my end, need to update some hardware i guess
  • Scimarad 21 Aug 2018 14:02:20 9,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gustie

I had the opposite issue. I got sick of the performance on the PS4 Pro so I started playing it on the PC which (after sodding around a bit with settings and forcing on triple-buffering in the Nvidia control panel) runs much smoother at 4k than my PS4 runs at 1080p. I am several patches behind on the PS4 so it might have improved but I got really sick of the textures popping in...eventually.
  • alt-cmd-esc 21 Aug 2018 14:03:26 311 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Gustie I found that I had to reset my Nvidia settings after each update, as it kept changing them back to using my onboard graphics rather than dedicated card, so this might help? I have since switched to playing it on Xbone, though, so havenít tried this with the latest update.
  • mrharvest 22 Aug 2018 03:05:37 5,591 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I can't even start the game on my laptop anymore. :( I was enjoying it tremendously when I got it but one of the updates broke it for me. It crashes during loading shaders and doesn't seem there's much I can do.
  • Gustie 22 Aug 2018 10:16:26 6 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @alt-cmd-esc Yes i have had problems with other games when after every nvidia experience update, it changed back the "optimised" settings. When it changes the game resolution to 4K and you only have 1080p screen XD "Out of reach" uhh..

I will try this, thank you for the solution :D

Edited by Gustie at 10:16:43 22-08-2018
  • the_milkybar_kid 22 Aug 2018 10:49:44 7,988 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really regret not pulling the trigger on this at 18 quid. Even on the grey market sites it's up to 30 odd quid.
  • superdelphinus 25 Aug 2018 11:33:34 10,028 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I read somewhere that there is an advanced refiner in the game - can anyone simply explain how I can get it?
  • superdelphinus 25 Aug 2018 11:41:37 10,028 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve found performance to be generally fine on PS4 pro, at least to the extent Iíve not felt the need to get it on PC anyway. I notice on some planets it really struggles though, particularly dry ones with lots of dust and frequent fire storms.
  • Scimarad 25 Aug 2018 12:48:56 9,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @superdelphinus

You can get a medium refiner by doing those base archive objectives and I believe the scientist gives you the large refiner very early on in it's quest line.
  • superdelphinus 26 Aug 2018 12:59:23 10,028 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks. What are the base archive missions? The ones that the spacestation alien gives you?
  • Scimarad 26 Aug 2018 22:50:25 9,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @superdelphinus

The archive missions are the ones where you have to examine the base computer and it gives you a blueprint, sometimes you have to build something and then a timer appears until the next time you can grab a blueprint. They aren't really 'missions' as such and it seems they start to appear after you've warped a couple of times and (possibly) when you've started the Artemis story, though it may just be after you've spoken to Nada and Polo for the first time.

Honestly, you might as well just build the Science console and get the Scientist to give you the large refiner as it's superior in every way (aside from cost to build it) and it's easier to get. You do get some useful things from the Base Computer archive things, though.
  • robthehermit 28 Aug 2018 15:07:58 7,309 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I spent many, many hours over the weekend trying to find the last unidentified animal on the planet I'm on and I'm getting a bit fucked off with it. I would have left long ago, but it's an extreme environment and I'm now up to milestone 9, with just a couple of days left to hit max.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.