No Man's Sky Page 286

• JoeBlade 15 Aug 2019 05:29:03 4,464 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Got NMS on PC just prior to the Beyond update and I'd say it was already worth it, now even more so. The latest update adds a LOT (unfortunately including a number of bugs but those will get sorted, Shirley)

I'm not using VR so can't comment on that but the quality of life changes are great IMO. Just small things that remove certain tedium or make the controls a bit more intuitive, stuff like that.
  • Frogofdoom 15 Aug 2019 06:30:29 13,948 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Juz there is no pro version yet.
  • superdelphinus 15 Aug 2019 08:18:34 10,090 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Havenít tried it in VR yet but the new update looked really good to me. I last played it around a year ago on PS4 pro but bought it on PC in the sale a few days ago - not sure if itís the update, that itís the pc version, or just blind luck - but the few planets Iíve been on so far are massively more interesting and diverse (and much more varied topography) than the last time I played it.

First planet had huge mountains and valleys in it, and the caves were absolutely packed with rocks and plants. HDR works well for me and makes the biggest difference in how it looks. I also came across some huge building complexes, 4 or 5 times bigger than Iíve seen before. This could all be because Iíve not played it on pc before though.

Again, not sure if luck but it seemed to be bombarding me with crash sites and cargo than Iíve had before - within about an hour Iíd already found about 16 million worth of crashed ships.

I only experienced one CTD, and to be fair I was pissing about with resolutions and texture settings at the time. Iím crap at noticing bugs, but I didnít notice any bugs.

Does anyone else always get animals that look like bouncing pineapples no matter where they are?
  • superdelphinus 15 Aug 2019 08:24:27 10,090 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh and performance seemed to be slightly improved, but Iíve not experimented with it yet. I settled on 1440p with everything else on high (on a gtx 1070/ i7 9770k) and it was mainly at 60fps. Both AA options made the game look much worse for me.

Theyíve done something to the controls too that I donít like (I use an xb1 control pad) - itís fine on the ground but the flight controls seem much more sensitive and a bit inconsistent/ unpredictable
  • Juz 15 Aug 2019 08:33:05 3,330 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    @Juz there is no pro version yet.
    Wha?

EDIT: A bit of Googling has filled me in. Hopefully there may be a Pro patch imminent. If not, meh, I've had the game since launch so it doesn't exactly owe me anything!

Edited by Juz at 08:54:26 15-08-2019
  • TechnoHippy 15 Aug 2019 12:35:30 15,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've heard mention of new story content in the update - does anyone know to what extent this exists? If there's new meat to it then I might have to dive back in.
  • Gibroon 17 Aug 2019 11:24:25 2,164 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yesterdays patch seems to have done more harm than good. Many crashes when playing last night on ps4, multiplayer or solo. Oh dear.
  • AaronTurner 17 Aug 2019 12:26:54 11,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Very weird, I wonder what is causing the crashes, my game hasnít crashed once since the beyond update.
  • ChiefGB 17 Aug 2019 12:32:09 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So does this work on psvr as well now?
  • neems 17 Aug 2019 13:33:01 4,675 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    So does this work on psvr as well now?
    Yup.
  • Spectral 17 Aug 2019 14:25:31 6,282 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What is performance like on a base PS4? I have the PC version but am going to be away staying at a relatives for a couple of weeks and the PC is way too big to cart down there. Was considering picking up the PS4 version to try this updated version while I am there. However not if its much better to just wait till I get back. Wouldn't normally consider it but its cheap on PSN atm
  • Gibroon 17 Aug 2019 15:06:59 2,164 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Spectral

I would say the framerate is better since the beyond update. I played a few days before the update and when at my base, on a lush planet with a trade station nearby,the framerate dropped quite badly. It's not so noticeable now, a definite improvement.
  • Nanocrystal 19 Aug 2019 00:43:00 1,892 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OK just getting into this now after holding off from buying it for a long time. It's pretty great! It's basically the game that I wanted Elite to be when I was a kid. Very relaxing to play, pretty, atmospheric. Impressed.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 24 Aug 2019 18:01:58 20,717 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Utterly addicted to this on PSVR at the moment. What's the quickest way to get a banging new ship?
  • JoeBlade 24 Aug 2019 19:42:14 4,464 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have no idea. I found a C class freighter wreck on one of the starting planets. It has a metric fucktonne of slots but also takes a fucktonne of resources to repair them. Still, it was a huge improvement over the starting ship.

Apparently completing the initial quests (e.g. building a base) nets you some cool stuff, ships might be among them? I couldn't really be arsed TBH.

Either way, I have a fairly decently improved exosuit and a kick arse omnitool now but after 15-odd hours of gameplay but I'm yet to see a ship for sale.

Edit: multitool, omnitool. Whatever.

Edited by JoeBlade at 19:47:27 24-08-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 24 Aug 2019 20:07:56 20,717 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any ship you see in the stations are for sale if you talk to the owner. They're all way out of my budget though. Was hoping there was a way to find a wrecked one other than blind luck.
  • JoeBlade 24 Aug 2019 20:31:53 4,464 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There's a shipwreck as part of the anomaly quest line. It's not much of a spoiler as it's really early game but it might be part of one of the new quest lines (I can't tell, I got the game two weeks ago, could just as well be old stuff)
    It looked almost identical to the starting ship though and I got the freighter by then.

I do get the feeling there's at least one shipwreck in any system on average, they do often seem hard to find though.
    Also, I've not bothered trying to shoot down those ships that pass you by near the surface of a planet. Instincts suggest those could yield shipwrecks ripe for the taking as well.
  • Gibroon 24 Aug 2019 20:55:00 2,164 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My son started a new game with the latest update. I'm pretty sure you get a mission fairly early on after warping to a few places where you help out a freighter under attack. You should be able to buy the freighter for free after dispatching the attackers.

He lucked out the rng gods and got an A class with 30 slots.
  • DrStrangelove 24 Aug 2019 20:55:05 14,489 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I haven't come far yet, just left the first planet, but it's already apparent that points of interest aren't spammed all over the place anymore. From the original version I recall encountering alien homes and those sites where you learn new alien words. Isn't that a thing anymore?
  • Gibroon 24 Aug 2019 21:02:09 2,164 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you find a transmission site, you usually find a downed freighter or a downed ship. The downed ship is usually needing a bit of repair but it will probably be better and more expensive than your starter ship.

Don't waste resources other than getting launch thrusters and pulse engine working. Go to nearest space station or trading post and swap it again for a ship with no damage. Shouldn't cost much to get a decent ship.
  • magicpanda 24 Aug 2019 22:31:10 14,874 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Any planet with Ancient Bones or Salvage are a gold mine. Spend an hour or so grinding away and you will come away with millions.
  • JoeBlade 24 Aug 2019 22:42:07 4,464 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I haven't come far yet, just left the first planet, but it's already apparent that points of interest aren't spammed all over the place anymore. From the original version I recall encountering alien homes and those sites where you learn new alien words. Isn't that a thing anymore?
    No idea how it worked before but I find that between
    1. liberal use of that portable scanner thing
    2. tracking and marking specific kinds of POIs (settlements, trading posts etc) with the visor
    3. making sure to use the save + discover beacons every time they're available (which sometimes indirectly reveals locations as well)
    4. visiting the cartographer and getting everything you can out of him
    ... I tend to discover plenty of places worth visiting

It seems very random though. Some planets are quite dead in all regards, some are teeming with locations worth visiting.
  • AaronTurner 25 Aug 2019 08:22:24 11,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tried it on PCVR. Looks amazing, runs at about 2fps. Will be refunding.
  • Nanocrystal 25 Aug 2019 08:27:39 1,892 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The salvaged data you can dig up to unlock base parts sells for huge amounts of money. Got about 1.5 millions worth in short order, so enough to buy a new ship outright. Just looking for one I like the look of now...
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 25 Aug 2019 08:36:35 20,717 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah actually picking one is going to be a nightmare. I've seen some great looking ones.
  • KnuttinAtoll 25 Aug 2019 10:58:29 7,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Tried it on PCVR. Looks amazing, runs at about 2fps. Will be refunding.
    You're probably better off. While I'm not using VR, im playing on a laptop that can handle AAA games at medium to high settings at 900p or 1080p.

This one I had to turn down most settings to low and 720p for it to hit mostly 30fps.

The initial Beyond update was promising, could run the game at not fugly settings and increase resolution to 900p.

The last two patches ruined that again - back to 720 which is quite unpleasant to look at. I guess at least the gamepad works again so that's progress of sorts.

My Steam account says 30 hours but my save games clock at about 17. I'm close to giving up on this game until/if they make the game run at acceptable levels. It's a right mess at the moment technically speaking.
  • AaronTurner 25 Aug 2019 11:15:04 11,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím hoping for a PS4 pro patch for VR now. Itís just a bit too blurry on PS4 as it is.
  • JoeBlade 26 Aug 2019 23:46:23 4,464 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This thread got my interest piqued and, wow, it turns out I REALLY lucked out with that freighter shipwreck. The most valuable ship I could buy off stations thus far was worth around 9.5M, nothing to be sneezed at.

Turns out my randomly acquired ship is valued at... over 22M and around 30% of its slots are still critically damaged o_O
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Aug 2019 09:31:20 20,717 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah after 17 hours I found this. Pretty much exactly the same spec as the starting craft but it handles like a shed. It's basically a suped up Vauxhall Nova.

• gillgrissom 27 Aug 2019 10:57:05 17 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    The salvaged data you can dig up to unlock base parts sells for huge amounts of money. Got about 1.5 millions worth in short order, so enough to buy a new ship outright. Just looking for one I like the look of now...
    Wire looms is best way to go for money/credits, just goto a space station buy them all ( make sure you have funds and ofcourse space ) travel a couple of galaxies away sell them and buy them back straight away move on to another galaxy rinse and repeat youll have hundreds of millions in credits in no time.
    you can then afford to buy some decent ships and frieghters.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.