No Man's Sky Page 288

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 2 Sep 2019 11:40:21 20,717 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shit the salvage planets are ridiculous. I made 5 million in about 20 minutes of mining.
  • superdelphinus 2 Sep 2019 13:13:09 10,090 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like the moons with huge piles of gold everywhere and weird walking rocks. I went to one yesterday and all the mineral objects looked like man-made balls with lights on them, and there were these huge towers with lights on top of them too. Looked amazing at night, in VR. Iím finding the story a bit annoying at the moment - I havenít got that far into it but Iím at a stage now where itís sort of teased me into exploring this limitless environment, but at the same time commit to doing hours of boring busywork to collect random stuff to fix some machines. I might just cut loose.
  • Gibroon 2 Sep 2019 13:26:58 2,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I played a bit more on vr last night. Got to grips with the controls a bit more. It works amazingly well in vr. The mining on foot is so much better, being able to walk straight while looking around and mining is so much more lifelike.

It's a small thing but adds to the immersion. Walking around ships, the cockpit looks amazing, generally the sense of scale is just so much better in vr especially when getting chased by a large angry carnivore.
  • quadfather 2 Sep 2019 14:37:23 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find it's the same on Skyrim. I never battered an eyelid with spiders, but in vr it's a totally different pant shitting exercise
  • KnuttinAtoll 2 Sep 2019 14:42:08 7,407 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm getting hooked on this again (not playing VR unfortunately), whatever they did in the last patch, it fixed the awful performance issues I've been having (see my post a few pages back).

Now playing at a reasonably comfortable 30fps and decent visual settings, it's quite enjoyable now.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 2 Sep 2019 14:44:12 20,717 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it's probably the best use of the moves I've seen. The tracking has never been anything less than perfect and shit like pressing the side of your head to activate scanning mode is great.

The menus feel a lot less clunky when they're all on your wrist too. Being able to swap quickly the the pad when you're in a vehicle is a godsend too. If they can get it looking significantly better on the Pro it'll definitely be the thing that pushes me into getting one.
  • Gibroon 2 Sep 2019 15:07:38 2,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Decks

Yes, love the little touches like the scanning visor and the menus are a lot easier. Couple of questions, in non-VR you can zoom in a couple of times when looking through the scan visor, can you do that in VR?

Also, when getting attacked by creatures/sentinels in non-vr, I tend to walk backward when shooting, can this be done in VR?

Edited by Gibroon at 15:09:48 02-09-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 2 Sep 2019 15:25:48 20,717 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you tilt the left hand move sidewards or backwards you move in the direction. It's a bit hit and miss though.

It says you can zoom in but I can't seem to find it - similarly I can't find a way to go into photo mode for some of the side missions either.
  • Gibroon 2 Sep 2019 16:03:31 2,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Decks

Cheers for that, I had a feeling it was something to do with the left move. My son got an attachment for the multitool to make it like a sniper but couldn't find a way of zooming in either.

I found that for photo missions, you had to hold down the share button to bring up photo and video menu, then take a screenshot for it to register. A quick screenshot doesn't seem to work.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 2 Sep 2019 16:05:02 20,717 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah ok, thats helpful cheers.
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Sep 2019 17:14:40 1,733 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is this game any good for a ten year old? I had already considered getting it for my lad before I realised it seemed to be popular to some in the forum but had originally baulked at the cost as I'm loathe to pay a lot for games he plays as he seems to lack the persistence to get anywhere near to completing some games he starts.
  • JoeBlade 2 Sep 2019 18:48:20 4,464 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    as he seems to lack the persistence to get anywhere near to completing some games he starts.
    Honestly I'd give this a miss then. NMS is almost the definition of quantity over quality: none of it is truly brilliant (good, sure, but not brilliant) but there is SO much of everything to make up for that.

If he has trouble finishing "traditional" games this probably won't grab him. Which it should, as some of the best bits are only unlocked several hours into the game and everything leading up to that point is a bit bland and at times confusing.

I'd recommend NMS to anyone, if you're into this kind of thing. Otherwise, don't bother. In my opinion, obvs.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 2 Sep 2019 19:12:03 1,847 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, so this is great, but I'm getting annoying drift in my right hand move. (Just swapping moves doesn't fix it.)

Also I'm sinister, let me swap hands dammit.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Sep 2019 16:50:15 14,489 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How can it be that a relatively big game doesn't properly support different aspect ratios on PC? The UI is made for 16:9 and if you're using something else everything's stretched. Everything that's supposed to be round becomes oval, cursor, spaceship HUD etc. I've got a 16:10 monitor but it's annoying so I grudgingly play at a lower resolution. I hear that players with ultrawide monitors are properly fucked. What are they thinking?
  • Scimarad 9 Sep 2019 15:09:48 9,621 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Countless hours on this game and I've only just discovered you can shoot open Manufacturing Facility doors with your ship...
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2019 15:13:51 20,717 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah, was wondering how to get into them.
  • HelloNo 9 Sep 2019 15:30:37 2,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm really enjoying the freighter management side of things, it's just so cumbersome. This is what mobile phones are for!
  • DrStrangelove 9 Sep 2019 17:19:40 14,489 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm playing it a lot lately, really liking it, but some of the design (especially UI) is fucked up, not only the aforementioned aspect ratio fail. Like how I can only access the galaxy map in space. I don't have one on a space station, so I have to hop in my ship, leave the station, look at the map, then go back into the station. Why?

Or uploading discoveries. I just want to upload all the stuff I've discovered for some nanites, there's even a button for that, but it doesn't work, it just does nothing. So I have to manually go through every planet manually and upload every single discovery individually. What the fuck?

Mission logs. They don't tell you anything, it's just the standard text for a type of mission without giving you any details whatsoever on this specific mission. Like I accepted a mission where I'm supposed to take a photo on a world, but the description in my log doesn't tell me what sort of world. I only know what to do because I remember it's supposed to be a tropical world from when I accepted that mission. It also doesn't tell you what faction gave you the mission so you know what standing you'll improve. Also no info on mission progress, like you're supposed to kill 11 creatures but there's no counter to see how many you've got already. Why?? There's no fucking reason to hide all this information.

There's much more going stupidly wrong, stuff like this drives me nuts.
  • Gibroon 9 Sep 2019 18:39:32 2,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you go to log in menu and tag a mission, it will tell you how many things you require when you come out of the menu.

For photos, when looking at mission in log it should tell you the planet type in the text.
  • HelloNo 9 Sep 2019 18:40:50 2,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My beautiful vessel to bear me through the stars (the stats are pretty good actually)

• Gibroon 9 Sep 2019 18:42:37 2,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Ah, was wondering how to get into them.
    You should install a plasma launcher(grenades) to your multitool, just be careful you don't blow yourself up. If you don't have the tech, get it in the nexus.

Edited by Gibroon at 18:45:36 09-09-2019
  • JoeBlade 9 Sep 2019 18:54:44 4,464 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I don't have one on a space station, so I have to hop in my ship, leave the station, look at the map, then go back into the station. Why?
    Is that sufficient? I seem to remember not being able to access it unless I'm in my ship AND in space.
    That said, I don't think it's that big of an issue. Pretty much the only thing the map is good for is jumping to another system so what's the point unless you're about to do so?

DrStrangelove wrote:
    Or uploading discoveries. I just want to upload all the stuff I've discovered for some nanites, there's even a button for that, but it doesn't work, it just does nothing.
    I just looked it up and apparently the upload all button only uploads all systems/planets or something but not the fauna, flora or minerals. Seems there used to be a way to achieve the latter but it got removed.
    Not having a (fully functional) upload all button does seem like a strange omission.

DrStrangelove wrote:
    Mission logs.
    They sort of work when you keep the on-screen progress thingy mentioned above in mind. But I agree more info wouldn't have hurt.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2019 09:04:50 20,717 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Next patch is going to "significantly" improve image quality on PSVR apparently. On standard PS4 too.
  • Frogofdoom 14 Sep 2019 09:15:08 13,948 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hope so, I shelved it in the hope it would get a pro patch eventually. No sign of that yet but I remain hopeful.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2019 09:24:07 20,717 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just keep thinking "I can't wait to play this on PS5". But yeah I've pretty much put it to one side for now.
  • Scimarad 14 Sep 2019 10:00:09 9,621 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You know the pop in is bad when you land at a Trade Depot that hasn't actually materialised yet :)
  • superdelphinus 14 Sep 2019 11:17:20 10,090 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Are there any systems where you donít get attacked every time you fly into space? I just want to mine asteroids in peace while I listen to podcasts and I keep getting attacked by pesky little weak bastards. Iíve jumped about a million times and itís always the same even if the scanner says there is no conflict.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Sep 2019 14:36:41 14,489 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    If you go to log in menu and tag a mission, it will tell you how many things you require when you come out of the menu.
    Yes I noticed that in the meantime, thanks anyway.

For photos, when looking at mission in log it should tell you the planet type in the text.
    It didn't. Had two of those missions and neither gave any information in the log beyond "take a photo on a specific type of planet". So it's not a big issue, but still it baffles me that they use over half the screen in the mission log for the description and put zero information there. Why?

JoeBlade wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I don't have one on a space station, so I have to hop in my ship, leave the station, look at the map, then go back into the station. Why?
    Is that sufficient? I seem to remember not being able to access it unless I'm in my ship AND in space.
    That said, I don't think it's that big of an issue. Pretty much the only thing the map is good for is jumping to another system so what's the point unless you're about to do so?
    For example, after teleporting around for shopping or whatever I want to make the next jump on my journey. But for that I need to know which system to jump from so I can teleport there. I just need the name of that system, but to get that, I must hop into the ship, go to space, access the map, go back to the station, leave the ship, then teleport. This is so stupid.

DrStrangelove wrote:
    Or uploading discoveries. I just want to upload all the stuff I've discovered for some nanites, there's even a button for that, but it doesn't work, it just does nothing.
    I just looked it up and apparently the upload all button only uploads all systems/planets or something but not the fauna, flora or minerals. Seems there used to be a way to achieve the latter but it got removed.
    Not having a (fully functional) upload all button does seem like a strange omission.
    It does absolutely nothing in my game, not uploading systems or planets either.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 14:38:35 14-09-2019
  • superdelphinus 14 Sep 2019 16:13:02 10,090 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Talking of omissions - Iím sure a previous version allowed you to scan a planet once you were within its atmosphere and it would tell you where the nearest trade centre was (if you had the economic visor installed). It doesnít seem to do that anymore unless Iím doing something wrong?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.