No Man's Sky Page 4

• Dizzy 10 Jun 2014 09:31:59 3,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Adv I think the main idea is just exploration. Looks like the galaxy is shared for everybody and stuff you discover get's "assigned" to you. I guess they will add in crafting and combat just for fun, but I don't think they are aiming for a story. Very similar to Elite I guess in idea, but with more of a focus on planets.

These guys are doing something rather similar:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247991467/planets3

Edited by Dizzy at 09:39:21 10-06-2014
  • Deleted user 10 June 2014 09:32:08
    Perhaps in some small way you're both right. Or both idiots.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2014 09:34:39
    Don't care. Game looks like my idea of gaming heaven. Just needs a cyborg... :)
  • Dizzy 10 Jun 2014 09:35:14 3,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @AaronTurner Not a case of right and wrong. Case of not reading what is said and just being trollish because... hey... it is Dizzy, the guy who likes cloud servers.
  • Dirtbox 10 Jun 2014 09:35:57 91,412 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dizzy 10 Jun 2014 09:45:12 3,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @HitchHiker I would guess they will try to pre-procedurally generate quite a lot (I like that word) ofc depending on how much space it is starting to eat up and maybe generate some stuff on the fly (grass and trees usually are a good example of that :)

It also depends on how far they want to go. Do they want to generate textures as well? Would be VERY cool if they did that... but that takes time (And they need to be aligned because you don't want "seams"). Do they want to generate creatures as well (like Spore). I guess not. They might even generate sounds or music.

The sky is the limit (no pun intended), but like I said, these things cost in time to do it on the fly.

But it is all quite exciting because it seems like they want to generate as much as possible. Could be very impressive universe to explore.

Edited by Dizzy at 09:51:52 10-06-2014
  • Dirtbox 10 Jun 2014 09:45:48 91,412 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dizzy 10 Jun 2014 09:49:31 3,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    HitchHiker wrote:
    So it sounds like it will be a pre-procedurally generated universe, with seeds and assets already in place. Then it's boiled back down to just seeds and assets to keep the shipping data size down. So while it may generate on the machine when your playing it from these seeds and assets, every player will end up with the same universe because the universe has already been created in the studio.
    They don't even need to do that, just plot them in 3D and assign an xyz coordinate in the seed. All you have to do is give them a bit of a spread. I wouldn't be surprised if a single seed included every planet, moon and the star in each solar system tbh.

The only thing dizzy might be right about is that after a given time or distance, it automatically generates a seed and you've got a system named after you. But if he thinks you need cloud computing to deal with a 32bit seed, he's the worst programmer I've ever encountered.
    Lol.

Seriously...

Do you have some kind of reading problem?????

Like I said... good luck generating a whole universe on the fly on a console from just a few seeds (even one seed per planet would kill of any chance to do seamless transitions). You must be the best programmer ever TBH.
  • Dirtbox 10 Jun 2014 09:52:29 91,412 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • TheMayorOfJugs 10 Jun 2014 09:52:39 6,489 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Will it be as seamless as that trailer? It was quite impressive just walking around, launching into space, having a battle, then entering a new planet with no load times.
  • M83J01P97 10 Jun 2014 09:53:45 7,607 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    Will it be as seamless as that trailer? It was quite impressive just walking around, launching into space, having a battle, then entering a new planet with no load times.
    This is what I'm skeptical about, it just seems too good to be true. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
  • Dirtbox 10 Jun 2014 09:54:18 91,412 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dizzy 10 Jun 2014 09:54:18 3,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Dirtbox Lol. OK I am done... I think you just proved my point. You made me laugh now.
  • Dirtbox 10 Jun 2014 09:55:57 91,412 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • frightlever 10 Jun 2014 10:19:36 1,492 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yeah, have fun putting your cloud to work running calc.exe.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/
  • Baihu1983 10 Jun 2014 10:21:37 12,459 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So is it PS only or coming to Xbox later?
  • EMarkM 10 Jun 2014 10:22:57 4,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Dizzy is making, as we say in high society, something of a spectacle of himself.

This is the slow motion car crash of the games punditry world. It's all the right words, but with almost zero understanding of the concepts behind them. Staggering. :)
    Is...is...is Dizzy...VIZZINI?? :eek:
  • MikeP 10 Jun 2014 10:29:39 2,965 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • wobbly_Bob 10 Jun 2014 10:34:27 5,162 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This game, to me, it's next gen. I'm so hyped for this. It sounds stunning
    Cannot wait!
  • Psychotext 10 Jun 2014 11:12:56 67,168 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    So is it PS only or coming to Xbox later?
    They said "console debut" in the press conference, so I'd guess it's coming to something else later.
  • Metalfish 10 Jun 2014 11:48:49 9,191 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RPS reckon it might be something to do with Sony helping with the flood damage.

Also: how amazing does this game look?
  • McGeeza 10 Jun 2014 11:54:32 2,015 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Jesus guys, have you seen the footage - of course they use cloud servers - it's pretty obvious when the spaceship flies through the atmosphere into space!!!
    I think you only need the Cloud flying out into space and not the other way around. That's because the Space has more seeds. And the Planet only has one seed, so that can be easily handled by a local storage device. Whereas the Cloud would need to be activated for the Space, as when you fly out into the Space there could be upward of maybe 7 or 8 seeds that need to be calculated. This is all assuming there isn't some sort of plant growing mechanic in the game, because if you add in all of those seeds on the Planet then things start to get complicated.

Does that make sense? I can go into more detail if you like.
  • Tiger_Walts 10 Jun 2014 11:56:04 16,674 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I hope this game has a database you can upload reports to, like in Noctis.

So when you see a creature that someone else has documented, you can pop up your guidebook and read up on it. Same for geographical and geological reports.

Although some wag may describe every planet they find as 'Mostly harmless'.
  • sport 10 Jun 2014 12:01:01 16,107 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Jesus guys, have you seen the footage - of course they use cloud servers - it's pretty obvious when the spaceship flies through the atmosphere into space!!!
    I think you only need the Cloud flying out into space and not the other way around. That's because the Space has more seeds. And the Planet only has one seed, so that can be easily handled by a local storage device. Whereas the Cloud would need to be activated for the Space, as when you fly out into the Space there could be upward of maybe 7 or 8 seeds that need to be calculated. This is all assuming there isn't some sort of plant growing mechanic in the game, because if you add in all of those seeds on the Planet then things start to get complicated.

If you could that would be great. I don't think they use the cloud servers in space (for obvious reasons). But for planets they surely need a heap of them. Unless they're dry planets in which case they wouldn't be needed.
  • Phattso 10 Jun 2014 12:05:08 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What I'm liking most about this is that I can dive in and out of the spaceship and do what I want. There was a game called Hunter back in the dim and distant path that was pretty much using a variety of vehicles to get between and over islands to... well, I forget, but probably to collect stuff.

And it was fucking awesome. This evokes real memories of that. Purity of focus. It's not a GTA, which is basically the same thing with a whole bunch of white noise. Strip it back, add in planets and space and creatures and OH MY!

Really hope it doesn't suck. If this were one of those SickKtarter things I'd back the shit out of it for early access.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2014 12:05:49
    I would like a lot lot more detail please.
  • McGeeza 10 Jun 2014 12:17:45 2,015 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    sport wrote:
    McGeeza wrote:
    sport wrote:

If you could that would be great. I don't think they use the cloud servers in space (for obvious reasons). But for planets they surely need a heap of them. Unless they're dry planets in which case they wouldn't be needed.
    Ha. I think you've made a fundamental error in your understanding of the term 'the Cloud'. Don't feel bad though. I can tell you're not a procedural game developer like the majority of us on this forum. So - 'the Cloud' actually refers to a huge computer (sometimes referred to as 'Super') usually kept in an underground complex (think WOPR from the 1980s classic movie Wargames). Not the type you are referring to, which are visible masses of liquid droplets or frozen crystals made of water or various chemicals suspended in the atmosphere above the surface of a planetary body (Phew - thanks Wiki!). I think your confusion is confounded by the fact that these water-based so-called clouds actually help to create plants from seeds! LOL! So I totally understand your confusion.
  • wizbob 10 Jun 2014 12:23:31 926 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What kind of a function do you use to generate noise from the seed? That's probably a bit computationally intense. Also, it's going to create a lot of data, which you probably need to iterate through if you want to render a specific area.

This sounds like a good reason to cache a good chunk of the data if you have space. E.g. why generate the Lave system every time Commander Jameson starts off when you could load it from a cache.

Sentinel used to take ages to generate a level but subsequent levels didn't depend on each other. I.e. it didn't take longer to load the further you got.
  • neilka 10 Jun 2014 12:48:17 23,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think the only person who can really clear this up for us once and for all is vizzini.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2014 12:53:57
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    I hope this game has a database you can upload reports to, like in Noctis.

So when you see a creature that someone else has documented, you can pop up your guidebook and read up on it. Same for geographical and geological reports.

Although some wag may describe every planet they find as 'Mostly harmless'.
    Not sure on an online one, but a system like the Metroid Prime games have would be cool.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.