PS4 Dualshock Thumbstick wear Page 2

• MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 20 Dec 2013 12:27:12 47,495 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yes. But it's doubtful they can legally uphold that.
  • speed182 20 Dec 2013 12:28:30 1,047 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ugh, the sticks are not durable at all.

Mine are wearing thin fast, and FIFA doesn't help that!
  • Whizzo 20 Dec 2013 12:33:25 44,789 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Buy some Orbs, they really are nice with the concave ones on.
  • oceanmotion 20 Dec 2013 12:37:13 17,346 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I said this would happen just by looking at pictures of the controller ages ago.

Big oversight by Sony.
  • Whizzo 20 Dec 2013 12:40:04 44,789 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The wear is very poor but the sticks aren't really concave in the first place so for me I'd have bought them if they lasted until the Sun died.

Highly recommended for anyone used to a 360 controller.
  • Darren 20 Dec 2013 12:45:47 9,556 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Although I think the DualShock 4 controller is a massive improvement on the PS3's in terms of overall feel and responsiveness, thanks to much improved analogue sticks and better triggers, nevertheless it is far from perfect. The rubber tops of the analogue sticks do feel a tad uncomfortable and I half expect them to either wear out or give me a blister in the process, whichever comes first. Also, the R1 shoulder button feels like it is sticking at times compared with L1 although it hasn't hindered any game as yet.

The PS4 controller has a somewhat cheap feel compared with, say, the Xbox One controller which, IMO, reeks of quality in every area from the button placements to the D-pad to the lovely grippy analogue sticks. My only issue are that its analogue sticks feels a tad too loose but that's probably just me. Certainly, I get the impression that the Xbox One controller will outlast the PS4's by a significant margin and that's why I intend getting one for my PC as well once Microsoft release drivers for it.

Edited by Darren at 12:46:21 20-12-2013
  • ibenam 20 Dec 2013 14:33:59 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darren wrote:The rubber tops of the analogue sticks do feel a tad uncomfortable and I half expect them to either wear out or give me a blister in the process, whichever comes first.
    I'm suprised you don't think they will give you cancer as well.

Edited by ibenam at 14:34:17 20-12-2013
  • Darren 20 Dec 2013 15:58:35 9,556 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    Darren wrote:The rubber tops of the analogue sticks do feel a tad uncomfortable and I half expect them to either wear out or give me a blister in the process, whichever comes first.
    I'm suprised you don't think they will give you cancer as well.
    Why?

Neither the DS3 or DS4 have particularly comfortable analogue sticks IMO with the DS3 having a horrid convex surface and the DS4 having rubber that feels like it is going to break if I press it too hard. The DS4's sticks at least feel tighter and less loose than they do on the DS3; that really is a big, big improvement. I also like that the DS4 has a pleasing amount of weight to it; not light and insubstantial like the DS3 but not overheavy either like the Xbox 360 controller with battery pack and keypad attached. It's just right like the Xbox One controller.

I've ordered some thumb grips for the DS4 anyway so I'll see how they feel.
  • Syrette 20 Dec 2013 15:58:35 50,060 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've had this too - assumed I'd just caught it on something.

Is disappointing but not really a problem for me as it is. If it gets worse though...
  • Deleted user 20 December 2013 16:21:47
    Darren wrote:
    The PS4 controller has a somewhat cheap feel compared with, say, the Xbox One controller which, IMO, reeks of quality in every area from the button placements to the D-pad to the lovely grippy analogue sticks.
    Dualshock 4 doesn' feel cheap at all. Sony have messed up in a big way with the sticks though. There's not enough of an edge on them to grip the edge like the 360 sticks, nor is the centre raised enough to roll under the joint of your thumb like the Dualshock 3.

They also become impossible to grip properly after a while and are constantly slipping. I've never experienced this with any other controller, so I'm peggin the bblame on the DS4.

Edit - surprised more people aren't up in arms about the battery life, it's a complete joke, especially when you consider it's predecessor easily got 3 times as much charge.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 16:23:34 20-12-2013
  • steoc4 20 Dec 2013 18:33:04 1,668 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    The PS4 controller has a somewhat cheap feel compared with, say, the Xbox One controller which, IMO, reeks of quality in every area from the button placements to the D-pad to the lovely grippy analogue sticks.
    Dualshock 4 doesn' feel cheap at all. Sony have messed up in a big way with the sticks though. There's not enough of an edge on them to grip the edge like the 360 sticks, nor is the centre raised enough to roll under the joint of your thumb like the Dualshock 3.

They also become impossible to grip properly after a while and are constantly slipping. I've never experienced this with any other controller, so I'm peggin the bblame on the DS4.

Edit - surprised more people aren't up in arms about the battery life, it's a complete joke, especially when you consider it's predecessor easily got 3 times as much charge.
    I have wondered about battery life, which I seem to be charging regularly, but I was unsure if it was just a result of me playing much more than any other console.

Still, it's not much hassle to charge it so it's not that big a deal. I couldn't believe it when I unpacked my Xbox One and found it *still* needs you to go out and buy AAs every time it dies. I'm rationing my Xbox play purely for that reason, I'll buy a play and charge kit when it does die.

As for the analog sticks on the PS4, I haven't had any issues with wear so far, but they do feel a little uncomfortable. I always much preferred the convex sticks of the PS3 to the 360. It just feels better rolling under your thumb as you move around. But the new one is like this awkward compromise where it's the wrong shape to roll around, but the concave bit isn't the right size for my thumb to sit into. It's not severe enough to have damaged my enjoyment, but it's something I do hope they iterate and improve upon by the time I pick up a second controller for it.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2013 19:05:48
    So far, nothing has convinced me to buy either of these consoles. They're both screwed up in different areas.

Areas that they really shouldn't be getting wrong at this point.

Edited by SG59 at 19:06:36 20-12-2013
  • mothercruncher 20 Dec 2013 19:18:04 15,669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I go back to play a bit of stuff on the PS3 and I still like the convex DS3 sticks. Apparently you can switch the DS4 ones for them too as they're the same fitment.
    That probably makes me some sort of pervert.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2013 20:42:08
    My biggest problem with the controller is it's so fudging uncomfortable that it breaks the immersion, having to constantly fight for grip.
  • kadooosh 21 Dec 2013 04:14:39 3,195 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just ordered 2 sets of the orbs just in case my analogues do start to wear, they must be selling like anything as people start to realise.

Get them now before they go up in price with demand!
  • Quige 21 Dec 2013 11:11:04 6 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well Sony Support are sticking with their position that I have to post it back at my cost for testing, and once they establish a fault they'll send a replacement.

Thanks for your recent contact with PlayStation Support.

I can confirm that for us to replace your DualShock 4 controller, we'll need you to send it to us first for testing. Once the fault has been established, we will then send you a replacement. Please find below the address of where you need to send your DualShock 4 controller to:

Consumer Services
    SCE UK
    PO Box 2087
    Watford
    WD24 7XQ

Also, please be sure to include reference xxxxxxx in with your controller so that we can make sure that the matter is dealt with as swiftly as possible.

If you have any other queries please call PlayStation Support on 0844 736 0595, quoting reference xxxxxxx, where one of our team will be happy to help you. You’ll find our opening times below, however you might find it easier to speak to our team during our quieter period between 11:00 and 15:00. Calls to PlayStation Support cost 4p per minute from a BT land line however calls from other providers and mobile operators may vary.

Thank you,

PlayStation Support

On the phone the manager said that perhaps I should go back to the seller (ShopTo) but he couldn't put that it writing. He also told me that as they've sold 250K in the UK alone there couldn't be a serious problem with the controller or they would have more than a few people commenting in forums that there was a problem. Again he appears to not want to put that in writing. In fact he seems to have got someone else to send me an email, even though he said he would.

Some Orb Thumbgrips have arrived and I'll see what I'm going to do after Christmas I think. Waiting to see if they admit to an issue seems sensible for now. Certainly don't want to have to send the whole console back at this point.

Edited by Quige at 18:31:02 21-12-2013
  • mothercruncher 21 Dec 2013 13:05:25 15,669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's personal, of course, and I'm lucky that I haven't had any wear yet, but if it were me I'd buy some covers and save myself the hassle of dealing with a return.
    Sit tight and this may turn into a Nintendo/thrown wiimotes thing- we'll all end up getting some sort of fix in the post.

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 13:08:24 21-12-2013
  • Syrette 21 Dec 2013 13:38:36 50,060 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bought those covers, £3 is decent for peace of mind.

Poor show from Sony though.
  • SparkyMarky81 21 Dec 2013 13:55:01 601 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I noticed the rubber on my right thumbstick was flaking yesterday after an extended FIFA session. I've heard that this issue only relates to the pads included with the console, and not pads bought separately. The rubber appears to be slightly different.
  • greenthumb 21 Dec 2013 14:20:07 551 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have been using the PS4 quite a bit and have no issues with the rubber on the sticks. The left stick feels a bit gritty though, like there are a couple grains of sand or something stuck in the workings, you can feel it when moving the stick
  • Frogofdoom 21 Dec 2013 14:20:58 11,248 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    got the covers today for mine and they do a good job, popped one set on each pad. Me and the lad both prefer the concave ones and the mrs prefers the convex ones. little bit fiddly to get them on but well worth it. My 360 pads wore away in the same way, although the wired ones i bought later never did.
  • mothercruncher 21 Dec 2013 14:30:02 15,669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    I noticed the rubber on my right thumbstick was flaking yesterday after an extended FIFA session. I've heard that this issue only relates to the pads included with the console, and not pads bought separately. The rubber appears to be slightly different.
    Interesting- I guess the ones manufactured earliest were destined for all of the console packages they needed to put together whereas they could re-spec the rubber and then put later ones into individual controller packs later on.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2013 03:26:18
    I have (not for the first time) abandoned a session because those thumbsticks are murdering my hands.

The left stick is starting to look shiny, which makes the grip on the stick almost non-existent.

In my 21 years of gaming, I've never had to deal with something like this before and it's a total shame as the console itself is great.
  • Andee 28 Dec 2013 06:11:37 1,019 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't have the wear issue, but the convex Orb things helped me massively in comfort terms.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.