About GC, Xbox, and PS2

• Bill-Gates-is-Evil 18 Nov 2002 20:20:53 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Status of the GameCube, from my view:

Nintendo is doing MUCH better than it was a few months ago. More exclusives are being announced at a much faster rate (and i'm not just talking about the Capcom deal). Sales have increased in Japan compared to stagnant Xbox and decreasing PS2 sales in the region. This is good for GameCube, as Japan has been their weakest territory. Metroid Prime will cause some major inroads here in the U.S. but probably not to the degree of Halo for Xbox. I'm loving this new Nintendo, as may be apparent by my lack of Nintendo bashings as of recently. I'm expecting big things from Nintendo at E3. It seems they're finally investing in the console and not relying on their big franchises to do all the work.

Status of the Xbox, from my view:

Microsoft is doing extremely well. People forget that they're newbies to all this-- they give Microsoft the same expectations as a Sony and a Nintendo when I don't think they should be. The bundles that they've got going worldwide are going to and have been increasing sales at an amazing pace BEFORE the christmas season starts. Although sales haven't been released from the bundle in Japan yet,they shouldn't be that great because they're including just a lame dvd remote with the console. Xbox looks like strongest participant going into the U.S. market this Christmas season, with three killer apps--- The bundle, Xbox Live, and Splinter Cell.

Status of the PS2, from my view:

I'm kind of disappointed. They've got a weak holiday lineup, mainly from a multitude of delays that turned a once amazing Christmas lineup into a strong early 2003. Casual gamers will still eat this console up. The technology of this console is really starting to show it's age. Things will worsen into 2004 and 2005 as GC and Xbox really start getting their blood pumping. Not sure about other markets but PS2 will face close competition from Xbox in the U.S. in terms of sales, which may turn heads worldwide. Sony has finally started to market the console here in the U.S., probably because it perceives Microsoft as a threat now. Sony will come out with dominant market share, but less market share than it has in over 4 years.

Summary: Remember this is all my opinion. But I think a strong showing by GameCube and Xbox is going to turn the heat on Sony. GameCube and Xbox, despite the many bickerings on these boards, are not really the competitors here. Nintendo and Microsoft are going into this holiday season with more selling points than Sony, but I still don't think they'll outsell Sony's console. They'll be a lot closer though. My overall sales predictions, per reqion:

North America
    1)PS2
    2)Xbox
    3)GC

Europe
    1)PS2
    2)Xbox
    3)GC

Japan
    1)PS2
    2)GC
    3)Xbox

Australia
    1)PS2
    2)Xbox
    3)GC
  • terminalterror 18 Nov 2002 20:45:53 18,931 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I must say I am impressed with a well thought out and reasoned post BGIE.

I personally consider the PS2 line-up better than you portray, with GTA Vice City and the Getaway both set to sell PS2s like crazy.

I think it is crazy that Metroid Prime, possibly the GameCubes greatest asset will not be released in Europe until possibly march.
  • Ciaran 18 Nov 2002 21:00:44 1,070 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    I think it is crazy that Metroid Prime, possibly the GameCubes greatest asset will not be released in Europe until possibly march.

What!?? When did this happen? Last time I checked, Metroid Prime was slated for a mid-January release. I can't believe I didn't notice the delay announcement. *grumblegrumble* N64 *grumblegrumble*
  • terminalterror 18 Nov 2002 21:38:20 18,931 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    found out from cube-europe.com

Metroid Prime is indeed delayed and will not hit the European shelves until March 3rd next year. Nintendo announced this date along with some other dates:

Metroid Prime March 03
    Resident Evil 0 March 03
    Phantasy Star Online Q1
    Super Monkeyball 2 Q1
    Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc Q1
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Q1
    The Legend of Zelda Q2
    1080º Avalanche Q2
    Wario World Q2
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Q4
    True Crime Q2/Q3
    Hitman 2: Silent Assassin Q2
    Enter The Matrix Q2
  • Deleted user 18 November 2002 21:51:09
    I think the PS2 has a fairly good holidays season. GTA, The Getaway, Ghost Recon, TR: The Angel of Darkness, THPS4 and Ratchet & Clank. I also think it’s a little premature to be predicting the 2nd place especially in Europe. Overall a fairly spot on assessment

Keyser
  • Tiitiz 18 Nov 2002 22:29:54 1,128 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just to add to that BGIE

www.computerandvideogames.com is saying 80mill is being payed by M$ to the new Robbie Williams tour due to sponsorship. This will help.

-----

more -

European Xbox Push

This holiday season is the first for Xbox and, to help ensure that it’s a success in Europe, Microsoft let loose many of it’s marketing details for the system this morning. Broken up into four area’s: Difference, Playmore.com, The Xbox MegaCruiser and the Robbie Williams partnership, the initiative is aiming to bring forth non-traditional marketing activities.
    Difference will essentially be a DVD created by Bartle Bogle Hegarty (the same team behind the initial Xbox advertising campaign in Europe) that will show off Hollywood trailers of upcoming movies, preview trailers for Xbox games, music from Gorillaz, Primal Scream, Fischerspooner and Ministry of Sound, and Xbox and Xbox Live features that set the system apart from the rest. The DVD will also have Peter Molyeux talking about Xbox. Two million DVDs will be distributed throughout Europe via magazines, mail, various Xbox trial events, as well as industry events such as Stuff Live and the Vodaphone/Ferrari event in Greece.

Shifting gears a bit, Microsoft will be giving its Playmore.com site an overhaul, complete with a special 24-page "brandzine" that’s set to be mailed to 10,000 influential people in the industry throughout Europe.

The Xbox MegaCruiser event follow somewhat in the same traditions set by the Xbox Odyssey and Xbox One On Tour, tours. The MegaCruiser will tour UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain, showcasing upcoming and currently released Xbox games such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Unreal Championship and Splinter Cell. The Xbox MegaCruiser will also show off the Xboxes DVD capabilities.

Last but not least in Microsoft’s European marketing push for Xbox is the Robbie Williams partnership. This partnership will have Xbox as the joint headline sponsor of the upcoming Robbie Williams European Tour. The tour begins on June 28th 2003, and includes 15 shows spanning eight countries. As the joint sponsor for the event, Xbox will be on hand with kiosks and other such things. Furthermore, a special Robbie Williams DVD Pack is set for release in Germany for €29.99. This pack will include a DVD controller, footage from his latest album “Escapology”, and messages from Robbie Williams to Xbox fans.

Source - www.planetxbox.com

-----

Edit - You region predictions is exact to what i posted a month or 2 back. People laughed at me then, but times have changed to show it :)

Edited by Tiitiz at 22:31:57 18-11-2002
  • sam_spade 18 Nov 2002 22:34:07 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Robbie Williams? Nice to see they are targeting the kiddie/housewives market. I'm sure they will be breaking down the doors to get an Xbox. Although he is the 75th Greatest Briton of all time, so who am I to judge?
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 19 Nov 2002 06:28:55 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well, in my assessment of the PS2 holiday I said "weak" but I infact meant "weakest". There is a difference, as all lineups are pretty strong and not near the term weak.

I'll just add a bit here about Xbox. I did a glance over their 2003 lineup as much of the early part of the year is more specific towards months. Microsoft has done an extremely good job at timing their releases so far, and can see what they've been trying to do by delaying all those holiday titles. I think they figured Xbox will sell shite-loads regardless of if it's got good titles or not. But anyway, you'll see very smart placement of a single killer-app throughout Xbox's first few months in 2003. Keep in mind though, that these are U.S. dates and thus will probably differ from ya'll Europeans.

January: Panzer Dragoon Orta

February: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

March: Ninja Gaiden

April: Brute Force

Have you guys just noticed how it seems early 2003 is just stacked with great titles from all consoles? All those great and wonderful PS2 titles that were delayed are now in early-2003. Zelda for GameCube is obviously very big and at the top of my personal most wanted list-- also an early 2003 title. And then you've got four of the biggest Xbox titles. If I weren't mistaken, the software battle has been taken to the after-Christmas period, when consoles don't sell as great. I personally think it's damn time they started spreading out releases. God knows I go broke every Christmas. At least I won't use all the green at once. Very interesting indeed. Added commentary desired.
  • BartonFink 19 Nov 2002 10:18:26 35,268 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Good grief I almost agree with BGIE. Almost. I think in Europe it's fairly clear that the order will be PS2, GC, Xbox. Not in the UK, mind you, if recent retail figures are to be believed, but in Europe as a whole. We shall see though.
    Nope reckon he's pretty much hit the nail on the head with the order for Europe too.
  • AnotherMartin 19 Nov 2002 11:02:09 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I keep hearing 'Splinter Cell' being used in relation to the X-box's continuing success but you are aware that it appears that it is only a 'timed' exclusive and looks like it will eventualy end up on the [link=http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=1154&showMe=1" target="_blank">GC and
  • Tiitiz 19 Nov 2002 11:10:56 1,128 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    AnotherMartin wrote:
    I keep hearing 'Splinter Cell' being used in relation to the X-box's continuing success but you are aware that it appears that it is only a 'timed' exclusive and looks like it will eventualy end up on the [link=http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=1154&showMe=1" target="_blank">GC and
  • JabbaDaHut 19 Nov 2002 12:11:11 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've got to say that I feel your predictions are spot on! It will be very close in Europe, but I do feel the Xbox will be second. And the fact that MS are such a new entry in the console wars is nothing close to amazing how well things have gone(Apart from Japan but we already knew that!)...Nice one BGIE!
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Nov 2002 12:30:55 23,487 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "/me realises I've just got into another one of those pointless willy measuring discussions"

So do you use milimetres to make it sound like more?

They had this great one on the Simpsons the other night. Lou the Black police officer has to hand over his gun and he says "well that is a shame, it's always made me feel like a man, that and the huge genitals" :D
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 19 Nov 2002 12:49:23 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I put Xbox 2nd place in Europe for a couple of reasons.

First, obviously, it regained it's lead from the GameCube in the UK. Second, I also saw from a German site that Xbox surpassed GameCube there as well and is outselling it 3 to 1. Not too sure about the validity of the German site, as I don't visit German sites very often and have no clue what's right or not, but the simple fact that Microsoft was able to surpass 16 years worth of time Nintendo had to build a loyal fanbase in the UK in less than a single years worth of time is well, pretty good indication of the future when I also take into account that Microsoft won't be stopping it's investing rampage in the industry anytime soon. That's just my own pattern of thinking on how I came to those region conclusions.

And to be honest, do any of you really think GameCube is going to sell better this Christmas season in the face of a Microsoft bundle with 2 excellent games and no price increases? Not making any jabs whatsoever at GameCube itself, but bundles do wonders for console sales regardless of quality. I coincidentally believe Xbox has better software than GameCube, but even if it didn't i'd still pick Xbox as the winner over GameCube this Christmas season. And I think, because of that aggressive software bundling plus a dose of strong marketing and seemingly strong word of mouth, Xbox will come out in 2nd overall in Europe after the Christmas season.
  • sam_spade 19 Nov 2002 13:19:36 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I don't know Otto, my four year old nephew wants a PS2 for Christmas. His parents are cool with that as it means them getting a DVD player on the sly as well. So everyone is happy.
  • sam_spade 19 Nov 2002 13:23:32 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nobody I know is thing of the Xbox for Christmas either, people I know seem to have a dim view of it.
  • Scientist 19 Nov 2002 13:26:30 1,197 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    There was an interesting Good Housekeeping study on which console to get for kids and they carried out focus tests with the target market. Funnily enough, they thought the Xbox was big (but not ugly), the PS2 was ugly and the GameCube looked too much like a really young kids toy. The kids didn't like the GameCube controller!
    They thought Xbox was most powerful but didn't have many games.
    Overall ranking was Xbox, PS2, PSOne and GameCube

Report was featured in The Guardian last week.
  • Tiitiz 19 Nov 2002 14:20:27 1,128 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Otto, dont take this bad but IMHO I think you are one of the biggest Anti-Xbox fanboy posters here on EG. After reading your post over the last few weeks i have come to that conclusion.

Yup, might just be me but this is what i am thinking.

Edited by Tiitiz at 14:21:11 19-11-2002
  • sam_spade 19 Nov 2002 14:23:15 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    After reading your post over the last few weeks i have come to that conclusion.

People have got to stop stalking otto, especially reading his post.
  • Scientist 19 Nov 2002 14:51:35 1,197 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    So to be sure, Otto, is that anti Xbox fanboy or anti Xbox fanboy? :-)
    I think people are having trouble with their semantics
    (I.e is it the console or the fanboys)
  • sam_spade 19 Nov 2002 14:53:04 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Surely, Anti-Xbox Fanboy or Anti Xbox-Fanboy?
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Good grief I almost agree with BGIE. Almost. I think in Europe it's fairly clear that the order will be PS2, GC, Xbox. Not in the UK, mind you, if recent retail figures are to be believed, but in Europe as a whole. We shall see though.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Evidence for that Barton? Last I heard the Cube was significantly outselling the Xbox continent-wide.

/me realises I've just got into another one of those pointless willy measuring discussions
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Faced with the choice, I honestly think most parents will be buying their kids a Gamecube rather than an Xbox. Firstly, and most importantly, because the games are more suitable for kids, and secondly, but also importantly, because it looks nicer. Sounds silly, but it's an important factor. It's neat and small and attractive, and most people already have stand-alone DVD players, so why buy the monster ugly thing which is aimed at adults?

What could make a difference is playground pressure, but that plays mostly in favour of the PS2 I think, if at all. MS is too associated with boring things like work and geeks.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hmm. Not a scientific survey, but I've had a few friends who are buying their kids consoles for Christmas/birthday recently, and the choice has always been between the PS2 and Cube. They've all gone for the Cube because they think the games are more suitable, and the kids have been happy with that, but there does seem to have been a bit of playground pressure to get a PS2. Cube gets around that by being technically superior according to playground lore. Xbox has not been mentioned by anyone as an option. Note - entirely random straw poll made up of otto's acquaintances, may not be the pattern across Europe as a whole... ;)
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    anti-xbox fanboy, moi?

*shocked look of innocence!*

:)
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Let me categorically state for the record, I am not an anti-xbox fanboy, I am an anti-xbox fanboy. Okay?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.