Playstation Now Page 5

• CosmicFuzz 5 Jan 2015 16:21:24 32,585 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    The 3-month sub is $45, which is $15 a month. But yeah, normal one month sub is $20.
    True, but considering the scope of this, chances are people will be going for one month subscriptions for specific games, rather than paying for a full 3-months period where they might end up not playing anything.
    Given the prices of renting specific games, they might not be much cheaper!

Having the specific game rentals alongside a subscription model is common sense, IMO, the issue is the pricing of both services.
  • Malek86 5 Jan 2015 17:16:06 9,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

Given the prices of renting specific games, they might not be much cheaper!

Having the specific game rentals alongside a subscription model is common sense, IMO, the issue is the pricing of both services.
    Yeah, it will depend on the price. If prices are like the beta, it will be better to sign up for a 1-month subscription.
  • andijames 5 Jan 2015 18:13:04 2,894 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thing are people do like playing classics and if this turns out to be a fast, responsive option then there are players who will pay 15 on a whim to play a good back catalogue of games. I expect this to be more of a random monthly purchase to people more than an ongoing sub but if there are enough games to tempt people then, well, don't underestimate the demand to replay old classics.

It's not mandatory so if people want to play they will pay I guess.

Edited by andijames at 18:13:24 05-01-2015
  • PierrePressure 5 Jan 2015 18:33:57 948 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How many games does EA's service provide comparatively?
  • mothercruncher 5 Jan 2015 18:35:11 16,670 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, the epic PS3 fail where it ended up selling as many as, if not more than the 360.

The pricing for this though is insane. I've very little time to game these days, the thought of paying that much to play old stuff is insania. It'd need to be one or two quid a month to interest me, though I admit I'm probably not the target market, as a time-poor gamer, these days.
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Jan 2015 18:40:03 5,812 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrDubai wrote:
    The epic failure of PS3 will always be a reminder of that.
    You were doing well until you reached this part.

The EA access service is just that, EA games, most of which are old(er) games as oppose to new ones and only offers what, five, six or seven games?

The PS Now service is almost one hundred games strong, and you can play any of those as many times as you like for as long as you like for $20/€18/£16 a month. If the service (hopefully) includes most of Sony's first party games, then that is one heck of a deal!

... I know which one I'd choose however, we need to see the (long) list of those games first.
  • Malek86 5 Jan 2015 19:36:27 9,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    andijames wrote:
    Thing are people do like playing classics and if this turns out to be a fast, responsive option then there are players who will pay 15 on a whim to play a good back catalogue of games. I expect this to be more of a random monthly purchase to people more than an ongoing sub but if there are enough games to tempt people then, well, don't underestimate the demand to replay old classics.

It's not mandatory so if people want to play they will pay I guess.
    Exactly because it's not mandatory, I think it will remain a niche thing. Remember when PS+ wasn't needed for multiplayer? Despite all the games they were giving out, apparently they had less than 2 million subscribers.

We'll see how it goes, but there are many things against it for now: the high price, the need for a very good connection, the current unavailability in Europe. PS+ had none of these issues and still couldn't quite break out until mandatory multiplayer.

Also, there's the issue of whether all games will be included in the subscription. This question/answer by a Sony speakerperson in their blog seems to imply it will not be the case:

I wonder if all games will be available in this subscription or if there will be games only available for renting.

Hi Zingakun,
    This is a great question. PS Now offers both individual game rentals and the upcoming subscription service.
    The PS Now rental catalog already has 200+ games and games are added weekly so yes, you may find some games that will not be in the current subscription offering but can still be rented individually.
    Subscriptions will give you access to 100+ games that get unlimited access and this catalog will evolve over time.
    Edited by Malek86 at 19:42:37 05-01-2015
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Jan 2015 19:39:59 5,812 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Since this thread is about PS Now and that we are talking about the number of games said service will provide, I assumed you meant the PlayStation 3 being a disaster in terms of games, not financial wise.

The latter is true whereas the former is quite untrue, given that the PS3 produced some of the best games of all time, arguably even more so than both the Wii and Xbox 360.

You also compared the EA access service to the upcoming PS Now, which probably didn't help (confuse matters) either. I do think the EA vault thingummy is good value, although PS Now is also good value too, depending on how often potential subscribers are likely to use it.

I'd argue that $100/€90/£80 for a years subscription to PS Now is good value.
  • Malek86 5 Jan 2015 19:53:26 9,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think they can't even make it too cheap. Remember, this service is supposed to expand to a number of devices. Even if it starts on PS4 only, with time it should be available even just to non-Sony TV owners. If they gave you a bunch of games for $100 per year without even needing you to buy a console or other Sony device, they could lose out in the long run. They probably have to pay a lot of money to publishers for unlimited access to their games (although I imagine most of the newer ones made by third-parties won't be initially included in the subscription service) and of course there's server manteinance and all that jazz.

As of now, $100 is not an option anyway. The cheapest is $45 per 3 months, which works out at $180 per year.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:54:56 05-01-2015
  • Dave_McCoy 5 Jan 2015 20:16:52 3,136 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd be more worried if PSN can handle it, unless it's running totally separately. I can imagine them turn PS Now on and PSN going down.
  • Flying_Pig 5 Jan 2015 20:20:47 16,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    I'd be more worried if PSN can handle it, unless it's running totally separately. I can imagine them turn PS Now on and PSN going down.
    I'm pretty sure they're totally separate.
  • mothercruncher 5 Jan 2015 21:19:21 16,670 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Access to Pippa Funnel: My Horsey Horse Horse™ is unavailable right now while we perform essential maintenance for the next SIX FUCKING HOURS THIS FRIDAY PISSING EVENING, we apologise for the inconvenience."
  • Malek86 5 Jan 2015 21:35:33 9,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fact: "Pippa" is the act of masturbation in Italian.

Though it's also technically a name abbreviation, so yeah, let's just say not many people call their daughter Filippa here.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jan 2015 21:40:50 27,500 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Fact: "Pippa" is the act of masturbation in Italian.

Though it's also technically a name abbreviation, so yeah, let's just say not many people call their daughter Filippa here.
    Why do you you refer to homosexuals as fennels?
  • mothercruncher 5 Jan 2015 21:47:38 16,670 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No, he said "feral", all gays are definitely feral.
  • Malek86 5 Jan 2015 22:06:41 9,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    At the risk of sounding offensive: there are different theories, but the one that seems most credible to me, refers to an old practice by tavern owners of spicing up their food with fennel seeds, which have a very strong flavor and mask everything else, whenever they needed to give customers some crappy leftover wine. So the word fennel wold be used to describe something that is not what it looks like.

Notice in fact, that while fennel is often used to describe homosexuals, a verb form ("infinocchiare") is also used as synonymous of scamming.

But like I said, there are many theories. Also I suppose we are incredibly OT.

Edited by Malek86 at 22:20:17 05-01-2015
  • AaronTurner 5 Jan 2015 23:10:49 11,366 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wonder how limited the list of subscription games will be and how much it will change over time. I'm assuming that they will also have a number of premium games that will cost extra outside this subscription?
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jan 2015 23:16:43 27,500 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    At the risk of sounding offensive: there are different theories, but the one that seems most credible to me, refers to an old practice by tavern owners of spicing up their food with fennel seeds, which have a very strong flavor and mask everything else, whenever they needed to give customers some crappy leftover wine. So the word fennel wold be used to describe something that is not what it looks like.

Notice in fact, that while fennel is often used to describe homosexuals, a verb form ("infinocchiare") is also used as synonymous of scamming.

But like I said, there are many theories. Also I suppose we are incredibly OT.
    Thanks, I always wondered.
  • aros 6 Jan 2015 10:49:24 4,260 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Very interesting post Malek.
  • spleendonkey 6 Jan 2015 11:51:08 280 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Couldn't care less about ps3 games...when will Sony launch ps2 games on this system or as direct downloads? I'd actually pay over the odds for that.
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Jan 2015 11:52:29 32,585 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They'll almost certainly be coming as part of PS Now. Can't see them doing direct downloads as they'd need to get an emulator working, far easier to just do it by remote servers running the game natively.
  • Malek86 6 Jan 2015 12:08:39 9,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm still hoping for an emulator at least for PS1 games. Would it really cost so much to make that? Of course, if they want to push PS Now, it won't happen.
  • TPReview 6 Jan 2015 13:15:34 1,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just to clear something up here, Sony isn't using emulators at all as far as we know, your device (Vita/PS4/Bravia) does no more processing than it does with Netflix (other than I guess sending the inputs from your controller). Sony just run the games their end and send you the image over PS Now, your device sends your inputs back to them. It means there will be some (but hopefully negligible) lag and it doesn't matter what game or device the game is was originally on or running now, the requirements will always be the same.

I would be interested to see how this actually works at Sony's end. Do they have a machine for every user? What happens if there are more users than machines? What happens if a machine crashes - you can't just go restart it like you can with your own console. How are saves for older games managed? What about games that use the camera/eyetoy, you'd need a decent upload speed for those to work.

It'd be amazing if you could stream from two different machines at once. So say you wanted to play Far Cry 4 co-op, the game can't do split screen because the PS4 can't deal with rendering two scenes at once, but you could have a different machine rendering each screen, just combined into split screen on your TV. Split screen for everything!
  • Flying_Pig 20 Jan 2015 13:10:38 16,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It seems you can use PS Now on your Vita as well as your PS4

I know this was always the plan, but 'officially' PS Now is a PS4-only service ATM.
  • G-VideoDie 15 Apr 2015 23:53:26 81 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone get their EU beta code today?

I've just been giving Blood Dragon a blast and I'm mightily impressed with the responsiveness - even with my old skool crappy BT internetz!
  • pogomeister 16 Apr 2015 00:35:17 1,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just checked junk folder and there it was! Will try this tomorrow
  • Flying_Pig 16 Apr 2015 10:51:48 16,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I didn't get an email :'(

Not that I have time to try it out...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.