Playstation Now Page 6

• CosmicFuzz 16 Apr 2015 11:02:22 32,585 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was a disaster for me last night. Every game crashed - DoA 5, Dirt 3, God of War Ascension and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. The one that didn't, Beyond 2 Souls, got the main character stuck in a "walking forward" loop for about 30 seconds.

Disappointing, but will give it another go later to see how it fares again. Really want the tech to work well.
  • chopsen 16 Apr 2015 11:34:14 20,534 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Guess that's why they're beta testing it first ;)

This has been out in US for a while hasn't it? Considering how much they've spent on aquiring companies that have done this stuff for years, you'd expect it to work. This is sony we're talking about though....
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Apr 2015 12:38:32 32,585 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Recommended speed is 5Mbps, I was on 15Mbps wired.

@chopsen - heh, yeah it's a Beta and you kind of expect problems, but as you say, it's been out in the States for a while now so was hoping it would be smoother.

Some people had a much better experience than me, by the sounds of it though.
  • Cartho 16 Apr 2015 17:59:08 422 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They recommend 5MBps down / 1MBps up

Which rules me out as I live in the English countryside and get 3.5 MBps down on a good day and about 0.38 MBps up :/

I still think these services are not going to take off until internet infrastructure is ALOT better than what it is currently. The system is too open to latency issues if other people in the house are watching Netflix etc. The problem is, there are so many streaming services now - lots of people use them almost exclusively for TV watching, between Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Love Film, HBO Go, Hulu, NowTV entertainment / sports passes, 4OD etc - the list just goes on.

With so many people using these things to watch TV / movies the requirement for something like Playstation Now ends up being higher than 5MBps. I imagine it's a total bandwidth hog, meaning only people with seriously fast net connections will be able to use it while others in their house are watching Netflix etc. That's different to multiplayer gaming, where even a relatively modest connection could handle that. It gets even worse in shared houses / University accommodation where there might be lots and lots of people using the web at any one time.

I would FAR rather they invested the time into some kind of emulation system whereby older titles could be downloaded and run locally.

I fervently hope that, with the move to x86 based systems, PS5 and Xbox Two will be backwards compatible with their current libraries. Bah, who am I kidding, the mega publishers have found out now that they can make a fortune selling you "remasters" of old games. Not sure how that will fly next gen though, when most PS3 gen classics will have already been remastered.

This is where Steam and PC gaming is leagues ahead really.
  • waggy79 16 Apr 2015 19:29:37 2,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tried Beyond 2 Souls earlier and barring the odd stutter it fared well on a wireless connection. Response time was good as was resolution. I'd imagine a wired connection to be even better.

Saying that I won't be subscribing when the beta ends as I've pretty much exhausted the ps3 catalogue.
  • berryl227 16 Apr 2015 20:06:28 111 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So just gave this a try. Colour me seriously impressed no connection issues , graphics look exactly as I remember guess there must be some downgrade but hard to see. Games chosen are forgiving in terms of input lag but arkham City felt ok if a little deadened. So first impressions wow just wiw
  • Deleted user 17 April 2015 08:15:41
    Still hoping I get an invite, I thought being on ps plus since say one and having a user ID from day one of the ps3 online service , and vita and PS4, might count for something but apparently not lol. Microsoft certainly seems to do more to acknowledge long time users. Ironically i got invites for both us and Europe planetside beta...
  • Deleted user 17 April 2015 08:58:54
    Yeah, I kind of thought my loyalty to the PS brand might count for something, but not a chance...
    Seems to just be a random draw
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Apr 2015 09:00:08 32,585 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Did you guys sign up a while back to be in the beta?
  • blobs 17 Apr 2015 09:03:26 601 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played Beyond Two Souls last night for 5 hours straight without a single problem, and for what it's worth... I'm enjoying the game, too :)
  • Flying_Pig 17 Apr 2015 09:59:12 16,271 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    blobs wrote:
    Played Beyond Two Souls last night for 5 hours straight without a single problem, and for what it's worth... I'm enjoying the game, too :)
    I really enjoyed Beyond, but then I liked Heavy Rain too :)
  • SomaticSense 17 Apr 2015 10:32:52 15,062 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    blobs wrote:
    Have you tried any games yet?

;)
  • blobs 17 Apr 2015 12:30:37 601 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm hoping Heavy Rain will make an appearance on here eventually, preferably before you have to start paying for the service ;)

SomaticSense LOL, I think I'm a story whore, I'm really enjoying the tale that's being told and, this style of game works for me.. I'm easily pleased in regards to gameplay. :D
  • Dave_McCoy 17 Apr 2015 12:37:57 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been happily playing through Beyond. Glad I get chance to play it, for free too. Mostly been a good experience, no obvious input lag but I do get some slightly choppy looking video in fast moving scenes sometimes. Especially noticeable in Ninja Gaiden.

I think it'll be fine for slower paced stuff like Beyond but not so sure about any fast action games.
  • elhozzo 17 Apr 2015 19:32:20 443 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just tried this, on my UK account, but living in Italy, it worked, so at least for the beta, no geo locks ... might try the US free trial now, as they have access to more games ...

works well, no issues... just not sure I need it, with all my current backlog ...
  • kadooosh 17 Apr 2015 21:41:52 3,228 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got a beta code, can you earn trophies?
  • waggy79 17 Apr 2015 21:59:17 2,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kadooosh Yup. Remember to sync them once you're finished.
  • kadooosh 18 Apr 2015 10:47:37 3,228 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sweet! How long does this last at free?
  • Deleted user 18 April 2015 11:03:21
    @CosmicFuzz

I signed up as soon as I could, but only got an invite yesterday, so I guess they're just doing invitations in batches... Looking forward to having a play around with it
  • Jimez 18 Apr 2015 12:22:47 392 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got myself a code on Wednesday, not had the chance to play it as of yet. Which is my plan at some point over this weekend.
  • KRadiation 18 Apr 2015 12:28:24 1,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The subscription price is far too high really. $19.99 for one month will no doubt be 19.99 in the UK. Even 14.99 feels like a lot for something I'm not sure ill use that often
  • Jimez 18 Apr 2015 12:30:34 392 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, that is a bit steep. Maybe if they put a charge per game rental as an alternative, because for that price i doubt i'll subcribe to it. There really isn't many PS3 games i would be interested in playing. most i played on the 360. And so far the ones i wanted to play on PS3 have come out on PS4 remastered.
  • KRadiation 18 Apr 2015 12:44:47 1,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One thing id like them to add is an onlive style spectator option. I adored their menu that showed tons of games being played live.
    They recently bought some tech or something from onlive too so there's a chance.
  • PierrePressure 18 Apr 2015 15:32:44 947 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just noticed I've received a beta code but the link in the email doesn't work dammit :(
  • northernlights 22 Apr 2015 20:26:09 1,035 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shame that beta doesn't seem to have uncharted 2. First game I looked for and wasn't there.
  • cjb_bjc 28 Apr 2015 12:42:55 2,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got a code last week and finally got round to having a go. Far cry was playable but dirt 3 was anything but.

On a virgin fibre 50mb line so I don't think it's speed problems. Its getting the packets pushed out consistently that's the issue. Or maybe the upload speed is not getting the inputs as quickly.

Its impressive tech but as mentioned not much improvement since testing gaikai in browser on eurogamer what seems like years ago!
  • blobs 28 Apr 2015 14:22:10 601 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The streaming started well for me and then steadily, over a period of a week or so, got a lot worse. I was continually getting disconnected. Then on Sunday I got up early, booted Beyond up at 6.45am and finished the game from the halfway point without any issues.

Success!

Oh, and I enjoyed Beyond more than I should have going by reviews and comments on this forum :D
  • cjb_bjc 28 Apr 2015 16:19:45 2,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ecu persistence is key!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.