Playstation Now Page 2

• mothercruncher 8 Jan 2014 07:22:59 16,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When you buy a gam you buy the ability to play that game on the current console, not indefinitely and on any future bloody console they might choose to make.
    You are genuinely baffling.
  • ardamillo 8 Jan 2014 07:28:37 638 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hope this doesn't stop them putting out next gen "remasters" for those of us with crap internet.

Then again I can see this working as a games browsing service, even though I wouldn't want to play a whole game that way.
  • TheDarkKnight 8 Jan 2014 07:37:05 796 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can't wait for this. Like others have said, hope it is included in PS Plus and can stream games you already own somehow.
  • Ziz0u 8 Jan 2014 07:52:36 11,006 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any idea what broadband speed would be needed to stream PS3 games? I imagine pretty darn girthy.
  • mothercruncher 8 Jan 2014 08:14:46 16,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think there was a DF article on the front page a fair while back when the streaming idea was new Zizoo that would give you an idea.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 8 Jan 2014 08:16:32 47,496 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My previous experiences playing on Gaikai and OnLive do not leave me excited for PlayStation Now. That input lag is a fucking killer.
  • fletch7100 8 Jan 2014 08:32:50 8,372 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some more info

Recommend a 5mbps+ connection
    US beta by end of January
    Only PS3 games available at start. PS1, 2 and 4 may/will happen later
    Playstation Now save files will move with you to any PSN/Playstation Now equipped device

From Ps Blog

"With PS Now, you can rent by title for specific games, or you can choose a subscription that delivers additional value with a wide variety of genres. For example, you can try out a game by rental first, before deciding to actually purchase the full game and download it to your console. We believe this streaming game service will add tons of value to dedicated game consoles in addition to packaged and downloaded games, and in doing so, we will open up a new world of possibilities across PlayStation platforms."

Will get trophy list, friends list same as PSN

Need a DS3 to use Play Now through a Bravia TV

Edited by fletch7100 at 08:35:57 08-01-2014
  • mikew1985 8 Jan 2014 09:33:48 14,603 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Should this actually be implemented well, getting it integrated into the Bravia TV's is a pretty cool extra for anyone buying a Bravia set with this feature.

I thought Gaikai actually worked pretty well when I tried the Darkness 2 demo a couple of years back. It was over fibre then too so a good connection but lag was acceptable from what I recall, I then went on to buy and complete the Darkness 2 so it performed well enough that I enjoyed the game.
  • Flying_Pig 8 Jan 2014 09:34:58 16,167 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How will the rental thing work though? I mean, a movie is easy - you only expect to watch it all the way through once, and within a reasonable small time frame - but a game can easily be anything from 10 to 100+ hours in length. It usually takes me a few weeks to finish even a relatively short game. How will that work?

Would we expect to pay a certain amount for, say, 10 hours of game time, used within a month?
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2014 09:38:11 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    "Gameplay was very responsive and completely lag free. Sony told us that a Gaikai server from down the hall was running the game."

This sounds great and everything but I've got a feeling Sony won't be setting up servers at the end of the street for everyone. I'm staying cautiously optimistic on this one.
    It'll probably run as per this article:

EG Face Off

Edited by Widge at 12:34:51 08-01-2014
  • killersrquiet 8 Jan 2014 09:40:03 3,188 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not sure that sort of payment model works, surely if you rent the game its your until completion or as long as you want to play it.

I would sooner pay a higher fee that be time limited and i imagine most people would be put off by that sort of system
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2014 09:41:27 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    vizzini wrote:

Why would I be happy to pay a perpetual subscription for things I already physically own and have hardware that is powerful enough to freely emulate a Ps3 locally; called a Ps3 or PS4?
    This is true, although anyone asking why they would want to rent something they already own is missing the point here. Who on earth would do that anyway? Do you buy a bluray and then stream it from Netflix?
  • teamHAM 8 Jan 2014 10:06:16 3,794 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So this is all well and good in the US, but over here in the UK we have a broadband infrastructure akin to a third world country. I can see this just not living up to the hype for a lot of people. I mean I live in the suburbs in between two large cities and with the largest broadband package available I get under 1Mbps after 4pm.

Didn't OnLive start in this big ball of enthusiasm and hope, but in reality it just doesn't work that well.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to work, would love to be able to play DS2, Last of Us, GTAV etc on my PS4, but I'd imagine there will be bumps in the road first.
  • killersrquiet 8 Jan 2014 10:11:50 3,188 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It raises another question on further PS4 games, for example would rockstar allow GTA V on the PS Now if they plan on releasing it on PS4 down the line.??

In principle the whole idea sounds good if the infastructure is in place. As previously mentioned unless you have a fast internet connection its pointless.
  • fletch7100 8 Jan 2014 10:13:47 8,372 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From GI article with interview of Sonys America VP

The service might even be able to save some consumers money. For example, if you already played a game, but just want to play the Game of The Year content when it comes out and don't want to buy the game again, PlayStation Now might be able to help you out. "There are a lot of opportunities to release Game of the Year editions through this platform or package DLC through PlayStation Now," says Koller. "If you're a publisher you can provide that content to players that way. It's really up to them, but I can tell you that the publisher are exceedingly bullish about this. I think for obvious reasons. It's bringing another way for players to experience their content. I'd say the industry is pretty excited about this overall."
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2014 10:51:50 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    killersrquiet wrote:
    It raises another question on further PS4 games, for example would rockstar allow GTA V on the PS Now if they plan on releasing it on PS4 down the line.??

In principle the whole idea sounds good if the infastructure is in place. As previously mentioned unless you have a fast internet connection its pointless.
    Assuming that it would be the PS3 version streaming vs. a native PS4 version, I can't see why they would have a problem.
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2014 12:34:26 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just in case you don't hover around the Vita forum:

Vita
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2014 13:38:19 5,065 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    why would I be happy to pay a perpetual subscription for things I already physically own and have hardware that is powerful enough to freely emulate a Ps3 locally; called a Ps3 or PS4?
    If you've already got a PS3 and a PS4 then I don't think this is aimed at you, that's like buying something off iTunes then complaining that you had the album on CD. Deciding to trade in your PS4 and Vita because Gaikai has been reannounced makes no sense.

You're also making the mistake of thinking that a more powerful console can automatically run the games of a lesser console. This is untrue when the two machines have such different processors. They're not just blocking it out of spite, it would require a full software emulator at best or be physically impossible at worst.

If only they'd come up with some sort of platform agnostic method... :)
  • mothercruncher 8 Jan 2014 14:05:36 16,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow- Last of Us on a Vita, amazing.

I think the problem we're going to run into here is bandwidth throttling. You'll be playing a game fine for an hour and then, bam, block-o-vision.

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 14:07:02 08-01-2014
  • Deleted user 8 January 2014 14:13:22
    Psiloc wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    why would I be happy to pay a perpetual subscription for things I already physically own and have hardware that is powerful enough to freely emulate a Ps3 locally; called a Ps3 or PS4?
    If you've already got a PS3 and a PS4 then I don't think this is aimed at you, that's like buying something off iTunes then complaining that you had the album on CD. Deciding to trade in your PS4 and Vita because Gaikai has been reannounced makes no sense.

You're also making the mistake of thinking that a more powerful console can automatically run the games of a lesser console. This is untrue when the two machines have such different processors. They're not just blocking it out of spite, it would require a full software emulator at best or be physically impossible at worst.

If only they'd come up with some sort of platform agnostic method... :)
    @Psiloc

I responded to andijames comment that said “Playstation No” was aimed at me.

And to respond to your other mistaken point. I'll quote what I said to Syrette in the “advice on purchasing a wii U” thread last week.

vizzini wrote:
    ….
    As for the b/c issue. It is a big tangent that has been done to death, that always leads back to the same non-technical argument of publisher suits looking at weekly earnings spreadsheets. Hence why Nintendo's WiiU still plays great unique games like Skyward Sword and despite Sony having taken the commercial playstation emulator technology from the VirtualPC company when they owned them a few years back, the Ps4 x86 can't run a PS1/Ps2 emulator or the IBM Cell BE simulator apparently.
    Now, I wonder what software emulators Sony's Gaikai is using to emulate PS1, Ps2 and Ps3 games?
  • nickthegun 8 Jan 2014 14:16:04 77,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why would you bother reposting that if it didnt make sense the first time?

Oh, yeah... right...
  • Moot_Point 8 Jan 2014 14:17:16 5,530 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    @Moot_Point

Yeah but did anyone honestly expect them to deliver something as promising so soon? I was expecting delay after delay. We will see soon though hopefully
    They will get it working properly by the time the PS5 comes out. Like the PS3 and all games running 1080p. ;)
  • Deleted user 8 January 2014 14:20:49
    nickthegun wrote:
    Why would you bother reposting ..
    @nickthegun

And to think I was being nice, by giving you a bit of space to write your deluded drivel in the footy and film threads.

Shush now.
  • nickthegun 8 Jan 2014 14:28:28 77,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Im just trying to give you pointers on how to speak to people like normal human beings.

Consider me a life coach. Or, if you prefer, a personal development with emphasis on memetically updating a personages higher cognitive functions to the betterment of their integration within a functional societal norm coach.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2014 14:33:09
    @nickthegun

A grumpy and rude stoner as a life coach. Now that sounds like a ITV Tv series in the making.

Well looks like I will see you later in all mine and your favourite threads then.
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2014 14:35:18 5,065 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Now, I wonder what software emulators Sony's Gaikai is using to emulate PS1, Ps2 and Ps3 games?
    1. They probably aren't using software emulators.
    2. Even if they did, I doubt they'd be hosting it on a PS4.

I'm surprised you came back arguing the same point. If consoles and PCs are all interoperable and can run the same software, what are emulators even for?

Edited by Psiloc at 14:42:46 08-01-2014
  • mrpon 8 Jan 2014 14:40:53 35,207 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ha ha, you ain't shaking that stoner tag nick!
  • nickthegun 8 Jan 2014 14:42:49 77,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hah, I know. Its like when Mazty took some offhand comment to mean that I beat my wife.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.