GBA Recommendations

• Bill-Gates-is-Evil 18 Nov 2002 21:09:34 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    First of all, Otto, you hardcore GBA fiend-- go get Metroid Fusion. And all of you, go get that game. It is brilliant.

Another game that we all have to get-- Link to the Past. Sposed to come out here in December, but any SNES fan will tell you that that game was pure love in the form of cartridge.

If you don't have Advance Wars yet, you probably don't have a GBA or any appreciation for quality. Also get Super Mario Advance 2, of course.

Other must gets--

Mario Kart
    Golden Sun
    The two Castlevanias.

As for the GBA, it is clearly one of the best gameplay machines around. And it fits in your pocket-- another huge plus. The mere thought of being able to bash Ganon's face in with my hammer while i'm at work is enough to proclaim GBA the true savior of boredom.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2002 21:18:44
    I've been really disappointed by the GBA to be honest. Great little machine but the quality of releases this year has been little short of feeble. I've bought 2 - Advance Wars and Golden Sun - both of them great fun. But I refuse to pay 30 quid for no-thought Amiga and SNES conversions - Link to the Past excepted (for the multiplayer).

Never played any of the old Metroid games - what sort of game is it? Platform / shooter / old style arcade/adventure or a mix of them all?

Anyone else disappointed by the lack of the GBA / GC connectivity of which we were all promised so much? Is the ability to unlock a new costume in Metroid enough? Or is just allowing you to unlock features simply cheating those who don't buy both games?

I want to see the GBA used to effect the actual gameplay - even if only as an enhanced map or inventory screen. Most of all I want to see new and original games tailored to the system and / or a price drop for the carts.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 19 Nov 2002 06:55:40 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Metroid Fusion (and the other 2d Metroids) is really a mix of the genres you mentioned. Less platformer than it seems though. I'd call it an Action/Adventure/Shooter.

I can see where your complaints on GBA come from. It is a good portable but you can't help get the feeling that it could be a lot better. That's Nintendo for you-- they always drip feed their games. They'll probably only develop a new Mario for the console once their done porting the NES and SNES ones. Which is a damn shame and I think is living proof that Nintendo, like any other corporation, is in it solely for the money and doesn't care about the gamer. Few here take that position, but you'd be suprised how many times on the internet I see Nintendo fans claiming that Nintendo isn't about the money and cares just about the gamer. That's just rubbish, but I know most of you agree anyway.
  • Nemesis 19 Nov 2002 10:29:11 19,742 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    THPS. Guaranteed to f..k your finger joints up.
  • Nemesis 19 Nov 2002 10:44:19 19,742 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Rampage Puzzle Attack
  • JabbaDaHut 19 Nov 2002 12:06:44 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ahh hey all - Am very close to buying one of these bad boys but have not been following the software scene to closely! Can anyone give me a top 5 list of games for someone who was going to buy a GBA with 5 games? Also any more news on the GBA that has the back light built in? Cheers in advance...
  • Alastair 19 Nov 2002 12:22:17 24,315 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Have fallen back in love with Advance Wars since getting it back off a mate this weekend.
    Also love THPS and MarioKart.
    Most importantly, the Afterburner has made my GBA the envy of my chums! (and it allowed me to keep playing AW till midnight last night)
    :o)
  • Ciaran 19 Nov 2002 12:31:07 1,070 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    BGiE pretty much nailed it Jabba. Advance Wars, Super Mario Advance 2, Mario Kart, Golden Sun and either Castlevania Circle of the Moon (out now) or Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance (out next Friday). And depending on taste you may want to substitiute Yoshi's Island for SMA2. These would literally keep you occupied for months.
  • gizmo 19 Nov 2002 13:57:03 2,100 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Don't know if you've tried denki blocks, I picked it up from gamplay.com for 9.99 and it is bloody addictive!

Its a great little puzzler thats easy to pick up and play and gets VERY challenging.

Definately worth a look at a tenner.
  • crizza_uk 19 Nov 2002 13:59:50 454 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    i have to say Golden sun but not actually on a gba ,i've got it on a gba emulator.
  • JabbaDaHut 19 Nov 2002 15:14:08 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Jabba, which kind of game do you prefer? Puzzler, RPG, platformer, racer? There are quite a few to recommend in each category.
    All apart from puzzlers but do like Platformers with puzzles!?!(Heh had to re-read that to make sure!)I'm going to get Mario Kart because..well...because...But unsure of the others! GOlden sun sounds good after all these posts and heard some really good things about Advanced wars too...

Tried Driver II in a Virgin store but that was not too much fun!

Keep it coming guys - My list is getting better :)
  • JabbaDaHut 19 Nov 2002 15:32:58 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Well Golden Sun & Advance Wars should be top of your list in any case, and if you like platformers (with/without puzzles) then I'd go for Warioland 4 and Klonoa over any of the Mario Advance titles, I just prefer them. Pity you don't like puzzlers as Kuru Kuru Kururin and Chu Chu Rocket are excellent games with loads of replay value. And if you didn't play them first time around, I'd also recommend Breath of Fire 1 & 2, will keep you occupied for a few weeks and pretty good fun.
    Hmmm interesting that you mentioned Chu Chu rocket because it's part of a pack I'm thinking about - http://www.game.uk.com/review.asp?tab=gb&rev_id=950044

Ok so the bag sucks ass but the pack seems good value...

Ok to recap - Mario Kart, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion and possibly either Warioland 4 or Mario...Looking good people! Zelda out or coming out??
  • JabbaDaHut 19 Nov 2002 15:37:23 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Either Zelda Oracle of Ages or Seasons for GBC would be worthy additions to that stable. There is a Zelda for GBA on the way but don't know what & don't know when.
    Cool - will be getting this pack/and the games in the next month or so...will keep you all updated! Cheers for the help...
  • JabbaDaHut 19 Nov 2002 15:51:02 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh and Otto - Is the lighting problem really as bad as I've heard? This is really the only thing that is stopping me from buying a GBA today...
  • Nemesis 19 Nov 2002 16:02:04 19,742 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    GBA lighting is fine you just need a light source. I find artificial lighting really brings out the colours well on the LCD screen.

BUT don't buy a wormlight. They are $hite.
  • JabbaDaHut 19 Nov 2002 16:07:05 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ahh excellent! Might just have to purchase one of these bad boys today then ;)
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Nov 2002 16:11:01 40,158 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Can anyone confirm whether the recently talked about new GBA (with improved lighting or whatever) was just a rumour? Keeps me from buying a GBA for weeks now. I know it would be out the week after I buy a GBA.

Edited by UncleLou at 16:11:24 19-11-2002
  • JabbaDaHut 20 Nov 2002 11:42:26 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ermmm....couldn't get one yesterday as I forgot I was finishing work at 6 with no shops still being open - Bah! Thursday is late shopping night though so hopefully get it then...
  • gizmo 20 Nov 2002 11:49:01 2,100 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I have to disagree on that one. The lighting IS a problem. The GBA is great, but the screen is one massive oversight on Nintendos part. If you have halogen lights everywhere or natural sunshine then fine, but anything else, oh-oh.

It is poor, believe me, I wouldn't have a joytech illuminator pro pack (which is heavier that the GBA itself) strapped on if it wasn't.

Having said that, it is the best light, and comes with a rechargable battery pack which works with the light/or gba and charger for just 12.99.
  • JabbaDaHut 20 Nov 2002 11:54:43 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    gizmo wrote:
    I have to disagree on that one. The lighting IS a problem. The GBA is great, but the screen is one massive oversight on Nintendos part. If you have halogen lights everywhere or natural sunshine then fine, but anything else, oh-oh.

It is poor, believe me, I wouldn't have a joytech illuminator pro pack (which is heavier that the GBA itself) strapped on if it wasn't.

Having said that, it is the best light, and comes with a rechargable battery pack which works with the light/or gba and charger for just 12.99.
    Well that's a cost I can handle...Will get the GBA and make a decision after a time...
  • Alastair 20 Nov 2002 12:36:14 24,315 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If you're prepared to put the effort in, and happy to dismantle your GBA, I would strongly recommend fitting an Afterburner.
    It's not that hard to be honest but you'll have to find a soldering iron from somewhere (Or, you can buy a GBA with the light ready fitted). And as others here have seen, it really makes a difference.
    :o)

Edited by Alastair at 12:36:24 20-11-2002
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    BGIE, villain turned hero, thanks a lot for this. I was actually just about to post a question along these lines. I'm going to be in Canada for a few days in December and I was going to ask which games for GBA not yet out in Europe I should be thinking of picking up. Now I know!

Metroid Fusion - check. Link to the Past - check. Kururin Paradise - check.

Golden Sun remains my favourite game for the GBA by quite a long way, I think. I still go back & dabble in Advance Wars from time to time. Also KKK (the game, not the nutters in pointy hats), Mario Kart, Chu Chu Rocket, Warioland 4. SMA2 frustrates the hell out of me. I loved both the BOFs.

I wub my GBA. /strokes GBA
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    linkage pls vermin! :) Not heard of that one.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ugh, password saves

*shudder*
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Jabba, which kind of game do you prefer? Puzzler, RPG, platformer, racer? There are quite a few to recommend in each category.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well Golden Sun & Advance Wars should be top of your list in any case, and if you like platformers (with/without puzzles) then I'd go for Warioland 4 and Klonoa over any of the Mario Advance titles, I just prefer them. Pity you don't like puzzlers as Kuru Kuru Kururin and Chu Chu Rocket are excellent games with loads of replay value. And if you didn't play them first time around, I'd also recommend Breath of Fire 1 & 2, will keep you occupied for a few weeks and pretty good fun.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.