Career

• Deleted user 18 November 2002 21:59:20
    From reading this site for the last 6+ months I have noticed that a number of the regulars work in the games industry. I will have to start choosing college courses soon and was thinking of picking a computer science degree(amongst others). I was just wondering what advice people in the industry would give to a student who is thinking of following their footsteps. hours? pay? bonuses? holidays? etc...

Thanks in advance Keyser.
  • Smiler 18 Nov 2002 22:28:09 46 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hi,

Well, I'm in my second year of Computer Science and in my opinion I would advise you *not* to study it. You will waste 3 years of your life and not learn anything remotely interesting to do with games development - A bit of logic and the *basics* of AI is the best you can hope to get out of it.

Much better in my opinion to just sit down at your puter and get writing games, a gfx engine, modelling whatever. This is what a friend did and he is now earning 30k / year at age of 19 and obviously didn't attend Uni.

Of course, by all means get a degree, but make sure you put in plenty of hours outside it into game creation. Otherwise you will just fail to get anywhere near an interview without showing you have a passion and commitment to making games.
  • Deleted user 19 November 2002 22:15:40
    Thanks smiler what are your plans after your degree? I hope to do a comp science degree mixed with arts so I'll have a few more options.
  • MetalDog 20 Nov 2002 01:22:57 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Knowing what you want to do in the industry would be a start. Art, animation, programming, what?

I'd advise trying to get some work experience in a dev house first if you have no idea. It's probably nothing like you imagine it to be.
  • Praise-Jesus 20 Nov 2002 07:09:51 41 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Easiest way to get into the Games business is to become a tester and work your way up. Yes, that is not ideal, but it is a proven method.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.