Kingdom Come: Deliverance Page 5

• Scimarad 13 Feb 2018 19:43:40 9,390 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I've got to say that turned me off completely as well. Geralt's different; Who the hell woudn't want to play as Geralt?
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Feb 2018 20:07:13 5,721 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This game absolutely has its problems (bugs, crashes, ropey performance) but it is absolutely compelling so far.

I finished the tutorial (basically when you see the opening credits) and I’m a few hours into the main game - the few reviews that have said “realistic Skyrim” doesn’t seem far off the mark.

I can understand the SixthAxis review where they’ve given it a 4/10 but said that, with a few patches and improvements, it could be a hidden gem.

I’m very happy with it so far but give it a few months and I think it will be even better.
  • MrWonderstuff 13 Feb 2018 20:27:46 2,689 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just started this - haven't got to the opening credits yet. It's a mixed but generally positive experience. As a backer I followed this from the start and the voice acting, whilst not going to win any awards, is workmanlike and a lot better than the betas. The graphics and performance seem fine on my 970 (generally high with shadows at medium). Early days but I'm eager to play more.
  • DrStrangelove 13 Feb 2018 20:28:01 12,518 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Yeah, I've got to say that turned me off completely as well. Geralt's different; Who the hell woudn't want to play as Geralt?
    I. Geralt is an annoying twit, can't recall ever playing anyone else I liked less
  • Rodderz 13 Feb 2018 20:30:54 2,983 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The first big post-release patch should be arriving in around two weeks time:

https://www.google.es/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/kingdom-come-deliverance-patch-expected-in-two-weeks/

The article also posted a twitter message from creative director Daniel Vávra with a video of his favourite bug seen so far: https://youtu.be/TgTGg1kUQCo
  • ZuluHero 13 Feb 2018 20:38:54 6,360 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eejay wrote:
    Really interesting comparison here from Reddit showing how accurately the terrain has been modelled - apparently even the placement of individual houses is as close as they can get from archaeological sources.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/udmnN

I really appreciate when games do things like this and it adds a lot to my enjoyment

As to the game itself, I'm liking it so far. I've had it since Saturday (from Simply) and it really does open up after the prologue.

As far as bugs go, I've had one beauty when mounting a horse in a stables, where i glitched behind the horse and was able to watch it slowly levitate through the roof and disappear into the sky - I've tried whistling for it occasionally but no luck so far!
    I do believe that is how horses behaved in medieval times according to archaeological and historical sources ;)
  • greg_wha 13 Feb 2018 20:45:48 1,097 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Scimarad wrote:
    I. Geralt is an annoying twit, can't recall ever playing anyone else I liked less
    Jesus WTF!? What pissed you off about him? To be fair the game version of him is like stepping in dog shit compared to the book Gerald.
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Feb 2018 20:54:28 6,286 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangeideas
  • DrStrangelove 13 Feb 2018 21:08:32 12,518 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    greg_wha wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Scimarad wrote:
    Jesus WTF!? What pissed you off about him? To be fair the game version of him is like stepping in dog shit compared to the book Gerald.
    Well I have no idea about book Geralt. Game Geralt is a guy with clown voice who constantly gets into pubescent teasing and sarcasm battles (which he loses most of the time). He's also woeful at swordfighting, he thinks it's mostly about showing off his circus moves. What an idiot.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:16:33 13-02-2018
  • greg_wha 13 Feb 2018 21:18:37 1,097 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Going by your username your taste in films is spot on so I’ll let you off, ;)
  • SaltyStephen 13 Feb 2018 22:15:59 424 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just finished the prologue and I'm really enjoying it. It's rough as fuck but liking the slow paced combat.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Feb 2018 08:42:29 39,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't even find it that rough - I mean, obviously it's rougher than, say, Uncharted, but apart from climbing a ladder being a bit fiddly and dialogues being too quiet sometimes, it's all good. Obviously things can get a lot worse, but I wish Bethesda's games would work as fine on day 1 as this does.

Oh, and I really like the pickpocketing and lockpicking minigames - they could be explained a bit better, mind, but you can see how much thought went into them.

Edited by UncleLou at 08:44:47 14-02-2018
  • Stranded87 14 Feb 2018 08:58:50 1,788 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah it's not as rough as I expected for a game of this size and scope on a relatively small budget.

I can't wait to get back to it after work, only managed about 90 minutes yesterday so can't fully form an impression yet, but so far I'm liking it a lot.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Feb 2018 10:06:12 31,357 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I watched a couple of videos of this last night and came away with the impression that this is a wonky 40 quid Oblivion mod.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Feb 2018 10:11:26 12,518 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It certainly looks terrible in videos
  • monkman76 14 Feb 2018 10:19:19 12,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Played it for 2 to 3 hours now, think it's utterly compelling so far. It does feel very authentic, and grim.
    Over to the 10 games thread with you, young man.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Feb 2018 10:24:21 39,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Played it for 2 to 3 hours now, think it's utterly compelling so far. It does feel very authentic, and grim.
    I kickstarted that in 2015 or so. I have *not* bought that in 2018! :D
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Feb 2018 10:25:21 39,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I watched a couple of videos of this last night and came away with the impression that this is a wonky 40 quid Oblivion mod.
    Hm, it looks and plays a gazillion times better than Fallout 4, let alone Oblivion. What are you all smoking? :)
  • monkman76 14 Feb 2018 10:28:01 12,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Hm, I *suppose* that counts as backlog then...
  • SaltyStephen 14 Feb 2018 10:32:35 424 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @UncleLou I was a bit harsh saying it was rough as fuck. The only real bug I have seen was not being able to climb some stairs and having to try and jump up them. When you compare it to any Bethesda games it's actually very polished.
  • EMarkM 14 Feb 2018 10:45:22 4,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Scimarad wrote:
    Same here. Despite my brother-in-law telling me that this game is the best thing in the world and that it will literally "change my life", I find that RPGs where I cannot create my own character leave me completely cold.

And I have found nothing likeable about Geralt in any of the games.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 Feb 2018 10:58:06 7,514 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Weren't you guys counting installs?
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2018 11:01:00 6,743 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Scimarad wrote:
    Same here. Despite my brother-in-law telling me that this game is the best thing in the world and that it will literally "change my life", I find that RPGs where I cannot create my own character leave me completely cold.

And I have found nothing likeable about Geralt in any of the games.
    Right, YOU, OUT! And take that weirdo Dr Strangelove with you as well!
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Feb 2018 11:15:15 39,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Weren't you guys counting installs?
    Installs (and only installs) count if you have a subscription like PSN+, or Humble Monthly.
  • Stranded87 14 Feb 2018 21:03:27 1,788 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although this isn't as janky as I expected the save system makes it far more annoying when it does mess up. I got stuck in a bush and lost 30 minutes of progress. Otherwise I'm still enjoying it a lot though.
  • Rodderz 14 Feb 2018 23:19:30 2,983 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Although this isn't as janky as I expected the save system makes it far more annoying when it does mess up. I got stuck in a bush and lost 30 minutes of progress. Otherwise I'm still enjoying it a lot though.
    That's probably one of the most common complaints I've been reading or hearing about this game actually and it's a fair point. Given the nature of these types of large open-world games to go wrong, crash or bug out, it seems silly to restrict saves to requiring the use of an item that you need to purchase and be able to afford quantities of. Losing a pile of progress for some convoluted save system just isn't fun.

From what I saw of people playing the beta I think you could save at any time form the menu, which makes far more sense and is infinitely more practical. The current system also doesn't make it particularly friendly for those who have limited time to just drop in and out when they have a spare few moments either. At most, in order to please everybody, the current save system requirement is a feature that should be optional rather than mandatory.
  • neems 15 Feb 2018 00:17:30 3,745 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's an infinite save mod for the pc version I believe.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.