First Previous
  • EnsoProductions 19 Mar 2014 11:46:01 31 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Currently paying 50 per month to Sky for:

- Line rental
    - Sky TV (+ kids channel package)
    - Broadband (Unlimited)

Anyone have any ideas to reduce this cost? We have a 360 and I'm tempted by a freeview box and/or Chromecast/Netflix subscription but not sure if this would all work out cheaper in total.

Any thoughts?
  • iancognito 19 Mar 2014 11:49:03 2,476 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sky's line rental and Broadband is one of the cheaper good ones in my experience. If you're not under contract and ring them up saying you want to cancel your TV they'll put you through to the retentions team who will offer you something to stay.

I find myself watching Netflix more than Sky, or more accurately spending hours trying to find something to watch.
  • EnsoProductions 19 Mar 2014 11:51:32 31 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, not under contract anymore. Could probably get 6 months at half price if I pushed it, but wondered what my options were to reduce the cost long-term.

No problems with their broadband service, just the cost.
  • magicpanda 19 Mar 2014 11:53:53 14,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Broadband and Phone should be about 15 a month plus 6 a month for Netflix.

Freesat or Freeview HD box and Chromecast + Netflix is what we will be having once our Sky contract runs out.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 11:53:54 85,219 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you cancel TV, they'll likely offer you 50% off for 12 months even before your notice period is up. One thing to consider is lack of recording function. I cancelled all telly for 3 months last year and that's what I missed the most (plus the ease of Sky Go for football).
  • elstoof 19 Mar 2014 11:56:36 19,789 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Leaving sky is like breaking up with an extremely needy, desperate partner. I'm fairly sure that I could have negotiated a break up blow job from the sales department if I'd tried my luck.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 11:57:47 85,219 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    :D They offered me very little to stay on the phone, but inundated me by post...
  • iancognito 19 Mar 2014 12:08:05 2,476 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would really miss the series link, etc. I'm surprised how a few years of convenience has left me unable to watch TV when it's on or even remember when it's on. I can't imagine watching adverts or setting timers to record things now.

Broadband and line rental they will probably offer one of their new customer deals to stay, usually cheap rental for 6-12 months.

As for the TV, you could try cancelling it for a few months and see how much you miss it.
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2014 12:16:02 10,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm going round in circles with this at the moment.

I have pretty much everything from Sky. TV including SportsHD, Phone, Fibre. My bill is around 90 a month.
    That's around 1,100 a year.

Last week I did a comparison with BT including their fastest fibre option and a few extra things like FOX, and HD add ons. It came to around 50 a month, 600 for the year.

That's 500 saved for leaving Sky. It should be a no brainer. I'm watching less football these days with a 4 year old and a 4 month old to look after, and besides BT offer a helping of footy now anyway.

But it's the little things that I'm now used to after 10 years with Sky. The planner, On Demand, series link, FFWD of adverts and the like. I know the others offer the same sort of stuff but it all seems alien.

I'm scared to move I think. I also really don't want to give up Sky Sports, but jeez I really don't think it's worth 500 premium a year.
  • PearOfAnguish 19 Mar 2014 12:23:50 7,573 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The YouView box BT provide is quite nice. It does series linking and recording, and the integration of catch-up services is handy. The UI is a little clunkier, but otherwise it's a very nice alternative at a much lower price.

There is Freesat, which can also do catch-up, recording and series linking with the right box and can work off your existing Sky dish, but this doesn't have additional premium services and doesn't yet offer Dave.

magicpanda wrote:
    Broadband and Phone should be about 15 a month
    Phone line rental alone is at least 15-ish on all providers, unless you pay the full amount up front in which case it falls to about 10. Then broadband on top of that.
  • iancognito 19 Mar 2014 12:25:34 2,476 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I ditched Sport and Movies years ago. It was in the days when PVRs and DVD recorders were becoming popular, and I had an idea about recording loads of films for a month and then watching them back over the next several months. I'd not been watching much football for several months, so cancelled them both.

I never did get round to watching all the films I'd recorded, but I didn't miss Sports and Movies that much. They end up with a lot of decent TV series which keeps me with them.
  • THFourteen 19 Mar 2014 12:53:11 47,896 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    binky wrote:I'm scared to move I think. I also really don't want to give up Sky Sports, but jeez I really don't think it's worth 500 premium a year.
    In a couple of years when the CL moves to BT, all sky will have is Saturday evening games, Sunday and monday football.

CL, Europa, FA Cup, Saturday early KO, random midweek PL games, they will all be on BT Sports.

oh i should add, the bt sports streaming is way better than sky in that its much more unrestricted. I can stream from my ipad to apple tv for one thing. and use more than 2 devices.

Edited by THFourteen at 12:54:00 19-03-2014
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 19 Mar 2014 13:15:03 206 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Leaving sky is like breaking up with an extremely needy, desperate partner. I'm fairly sure that I could have negotiated a break up blow job from the sales department if I'd tried my luck.
    This. I still get phone calls out of the blue asking what I liked about the service when I had it, and what I miss about it now it's gone. Letters from them too. It really is like the most pathetic break-up you'll ever experience.

We bought one of those 1TB Humax Freesat boxes to replace it and haven't looked back. I think they're so desperate to keep you because you start looking at your subscription like another utility you just pay in life. Once you walk away from it though, you'll never go back and they know it.

Edited by Bedders at 13:16:34 19-03-2014

Edited by Bedders at 13:16:59 19-03-2014
  • Deleted user 19 March 2014 13:40:28
    We decided to make the break from Sky too. I was paying 40 for TV from the company. We also decided to ditch our 2008 Plasma telly that was using nearly 500W and costing us quite a lot of electricity a year.

So this week we bought a Humax 1TB Freesat box and a new LG LED TV. Yup I know Plasma > LED - but in this case 2008 budget Plasma < modern LED TV. And it uses around 60W instead of almost 500W.

The Humax box is very good - picture quality excellent and we're pretty used to it already after a week. There are some shows I don't want to miss - Game of Thrones being the main one. But I can use the NowTV app for a fiver a month for that stuff via the LG TV. I won't even need to pay that all year round, just when I a show I want is on.

We've worked out that cutting Sky and changing to a lower power use TV will save us around 700 a year. So our costs will be covered at around 15 months and after that we're making big savings.

There was a good offer on LG TVs at the moment giving free NowTV passes. Just for registering our purchase we were given 3 months of Sky Movies and 7 one-day sports passes. So that should cover any of the F1 races that the BBC isn't covering live.

The phone call to Sky was like pulling teeth. They really don't like you leaving. The easiest way is usually to plead poverty. But I didn't lie, I said I have money, I'd just rather keep it than give it to Sky in the future. They are getting a bit via NowTV - they'll have to make do with that. :)
  • EnsoProductions 19 Mar 2014 13:40:40 31 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looking at it, I'm not sure I'd save much considering I still need line-rental & broadband.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2014 13:47:39
    We do get our phone and broadband from BT - but it's partly paid for by my wife's job, so we're still saving.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 13:57:11 85,219 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @binky, seriously, bin the TV and you'll have 50% for 12 months off offers within weeks. I was the same, have managed to reduced my bill down to 60 for the basic TV package, fibre, phone, sports. No HD, I can live without that, and the basic package still has Atlantic and Fox, Living etc so unless you're a history/nature prog lover, you're not missing anything. Will do the same as soon as this deal runs out too - also need to see what they will offer me if I threaten to move broadband.
  • iancognito 19 Mar 2014 14:01:37 2,476 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EnsoProductions wrote:
    Looking at it, I'm not sure I'd save much considering I still need line-rental & broadband.
    It's how the trap you, which also explains why I'm still a subscriber. I go through the thought process of cancelling Sky sometimes. I know I'll still need Broadband and therefore a phone line. Sky are pretty cheap and reliable for that, and some TV is only a little bit extra. It ends up quite small savings once you strip away the big packages, like Sports and Movies.
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2014 14:17:21 10,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Dougs I've pretty much been on rolling discounts for the last few years because of phoning them every now and then. Ditching football will be the big one, which is why if I move to BT I won't be going cold turkey what with their offering and future UEFA monopoly.

You say you've got your bill down to 60 for basic TV, fibre, phone and sports. BT still works out 15 cheaper with HD sport (albeit not as many games). I do like my stuff in HD now. I think I'd find it harder to lose HD than sky sports thinking about it. That said, I'm fairly sure 80% of the stuff we watch is on BBC/Ch4/E4 anyway.
  • AceGrace 19 Mar 2014 14:22:52 3,190 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got Virgin Tivo.

XL TV package
    60mb Broadband
    Unlimited Phone package.

I am paying 81 a month which seems a bit too much.

I really want to keep the broadband and phone but I think the TV may go. I aleady have a 1tb Freeview box but not sure I could do without Discovery not to mention the kids would strangle me if I got rid of Nick etc..

Also it has a netflix & youtube apps.

Edited by AceGrace at 14:26:27 19-03-2014
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2014 14:26:58 10,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Right, I've just looked at the BT bundle builder again. If you pay your line rental up front for the year (140) it's quite a saving.

Basically get the lot for 41 a month.

That include BT Sports HD, FOX, and stuff for the kids.

Here's the link if you want to look yourself. https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/bundle-picker/template_loader.html?section=bb

Edited by binky at 14:28:17 19-03-2014
  • Deleted user 19 March 2014 14:30:28
    I'd definitely go for the BT package if our village had faster broadband. We get 8Mb (fine I guess for rural Dorset) but we won't get Infinity until next year. And BT will only let you have HD if you have Infinity. But I think next year it will make sense for us - given we are already with BT - take up their box. But we still don't have a definite date for when Infinity is rolling out here - other than before summer 2016.

In the meantime we're saving money ditching Sky and when we got to BT for telly we won't be spending much more than we do now.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 14:32:42 85,219 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You then have to weigh up whether the extra 15 a month is worth it given you'd then have to buy an PVR etc....unless BT are going to throw in a YouView box gratis....
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2014 14:34:13 10,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    BT are now throwing in YouView gratis.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2014 14:34:15 73,283 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They do their own box now, yeah.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 14:39:15 85,219 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It works about the same for me if I include SS, albeit with HD. I think half the trouble is I am inherently mistrustful of BT products and services....
  • Deleted user 19 March 2014 14:41:28
    Got rid of Sky ages ago. Glad I did as I was getting sick of all the ads every 10/15 minutes in a show.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 14:45:54 85,219 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And the big one missing for me is Sky Atlantic....
  • rudedudejude 19 Mar 2014 14:46:07 2,350 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nothing better than knowing you're not contributing to Murdoch's fiendish empire :)

Don't forget you can get sports and movies through the NOWTV box for less if you're still hooked on either without needing any subscription.
  • iancognito 19 Mar 2014 14:46:15 2,476 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it because of the adverts? The sexy student ones have really alienated me.

I never used to understand BT bills. They had a weird way of showing credit, debt and direct debits as separate things which never made much sense. I paid by DD so didn't worry about it too much but I never really understood my bill.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.