Following Getting rid of Sky services Page 22

• Spectral 13 Jan 2018 13:02:41 5,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's just a shame how everything here gets spread over Netflix, Amazon and NOW TV. A lot of the movies that are on Now TV here are on Netflix in the US. Rogue one, Logan, Dr Strange, Civil War, Guardiand of the Galaxy vol 2,etc.

Edited by Spectral at 13:04:19 13-01-2018
  • Gruff 13 Jan 2018 13:02:51 3,304 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Had NowTV but at 33 quid they can go and whistle, only want it for the footy.

BT have the right idea, I get ALL their channels for 5 quid with my EE contract.

I will yarrrr the remaining games I want with Acestream
  • Spectral 13 Jan 2018 13:06:40 5,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Had NowTV but at 33 quid they can go and whistle, only want it for the footy.

BT have the right idea, I get ALL their channels for 5 quid with my EE contract.

I will yarrrr the remaining games I want with Acestream
    Yeah, the price on the sports pass seems to be in a completely different price bracket to the move and entertainment passes. Luckily for me I have no interest in sports at all.

Even for the others I usually only get movies when I can find a good deal, or entertainment when there is a show I want to binge on.
  • Dougs 13 Jan 2018 16:18:56 85,219 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, it's definitely too expensive. Presumably to preserve their core subscription base. Can't blame them for that really.
  • DukeSilver 2 Feb 2018 10:10:18 3,115 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    After 13 years I've cancelled. 13 years! How many thousands of pounds might that have cost me? I'm free at last.

I'd always got a fairly good deal in the past as I could generally get a decent bundle for under 20 but with their latest price increases the best they could do was 24. With Netflix I was watching Sky less and less. It's a silly amount to pay to watch some F1, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. I think the last Sky exclusive I watched was Curb Your Enthusiasm and that was months ago.
  • AccidentProne 2 Feb 2018 11:35:41 1,333 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just tried and failed to cancel, curse my lack of resolve!

They offered a discount on my broadband as well as the TV package meaning I'm essentially only paying 9/month for TV, which is better than the 38/month I was paying, but still not as good as the 0/month I set out to get at the start of the call...

Stuck with them for another 18 months /o\
  • DukeSilver 2 Feb 2018 12:23:52 3,115 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's like a drug where you have to either go cold turkey or start reducing it bit by bit. I moved broadband a couple of years ago partly because it was a better deal and partly because I knew i might want to leave one day. You have to start breaking those links.

I am stuck with decisions like buying a Freesat box for HD or having a better aerial fitted.
  • AccidentProne 5 Feb 2018 13:36:27 1,333 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, fuck it. The new cheap package they offered me was without HD channels or box sets, which they didn't tell me before. Called them back and cancelled. Retentions bloke was surprisingly amiable and didn't try and talk me out of it this time.

Reckon I'll just get a NowTV subscription next time there's something worth watching on Atlantic.
  • Dougs 5 Feb 2018 14:59:02 85,219 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's pretty outrageous that box sets and HD aren't included as standard tbh.
  • thelzdking 5 Feb 2018 15:04:01 7,468 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is, and that you don't get SkyGo in HD if you have the HD package.
  • goatwack 5 Feb 2018 15:11:35 101 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm paying the best part of 80 p/m for the combined broadband, phone & tv package but feel it's time to get looking for something better.

I too have had the subscription for nine years or so (even having all the Sports channels at the beginning. D'oh!)

I've become somewhat accustomed to the HD box sets and convenience if anything, and doubt highly if I'd get the same 'content' for cheaper....even if as mentioned there are only about three shows worth watching.

Not sure what brought about this change of heart, but I think Britannia may have had something to do with it :p

Edited by goatwack at 15:11:57 05-02-2018
  • DukeSilver 5 Feb 2018 16:04:21 3,115 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The fact that HD is an option extra cost has annoyed me. Fair enough when it was new and not everyone had HD TVs but it's 2018 now. HD should be standard now.
  • thelzdking 5 Feb 2018 16:10:27 7,468 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, also they should start ditching non-HD versions of channels.
  • Nitrous 5 Feb 2018 18:39:29 1,648 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had an ok result with Virgin Media... Eventually.
    Kept the full house TV package, talk weekend s but ditched the films and changed from vivid 200 to 100.

56 per month which is only 1 more and better than the 84 they wanted. Contract came through the following day but still had films on for 77. Rang back, spoke to a different person who quickly ammended it and credited my account with around 23.
  • goatwack 5 Feb 2018 18:47:13 101 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like there are some good deals to be had and good packages, but with having to forfeit the good stuff.

As mentioned, HD should be standard and not charged for seperately. Sky know this all too well, and as much as I'd like the 30 or so savings per month there is no chance of my viewing experienced being compromised.

I've been there with SD and even lived through the Mega CD/ FMV age. Not something I could revert back to a second time :lol:
  • monkehhh 5 Feb 2018 19:47:29 4,817 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nitrous yeah, they're quite good at arranging a discount and then the contract being wrong :) I'm on the Mix TV, 200mbps broadband and Talk Anytime phone for 54.50 at the moment, down from 73.99.
  • thelzdking 5 Feb 2018 20:20:08 7,468 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually love a bit of channel hopping.
  • Dougs 5 Feb 2018 20:23:21 85,219 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't miss the aimless flicking through channels. Now I just scroll aimlessly on Netflix.
  • DukeSilver 21 Feb 2018 10:13:17 3,115 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Some advice please. What equipment do you Skyless people use? My TV watching time now is around 80% Netflix and Prime streaming on a Firestick, then about 10% each on Sky and terrestrial TV.

I think I need something for NowTV which could be the basic box, the new smart box or something else (Roku?).

For terrestrial I can go with SD on the Sky box with iplayer, etc. for a better picture but what about live sport? Is that worth getting a Freesat box and what's a decent one?

My TV aerial is not the best so aerial freeview might need a new aerial fitted, which I think is in the region of 100 for a pro to do it.
  • Sharz 21 Feb 2018 10:25:47 1,795 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You don't need someone to fit an aerial these days. Just look up where your transmitters are and point the aerial around that area till the signal is strong enough.

For me i use a combination of Chromecast and the apps installed on my TV. The chromecast is the easiest to use (especially if you have an android phone). But as it tends to be stereo I use the TV app for Netflix and the like because that then supports my full sound system.
  • Dougs 21 Feb 2018 11:09:19 85,219 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DukeSilver if you have a chromecast, you can use that for Nowtv (counts as a device though). Sure they have just launched a Nowtv stick too.
  • DukeSilver 21 Feb 2018 12:11:08 3,115 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't have a Chromecast but I could get one. The downstairs (main) TV has Sky (for now) and an Amazon Firestick. The upstairs TV has a Firestick and the small NowTV box which I've not used for ages.

I don't know about the aerial Sharz. Do you mean external? When I moved in I had a crappy old one and bought a new one with youthful hopes of installing it. Messed around a bit, couldn't improve the signal so gave up. A few years ago after the digital switchover I found I could get an OK signal which broke up a bit in the loft. I mentioned possibly putting it outside but my wife was almost certain I would die trying and was very against it. With the online information now I think I could buy a decent indoor aerial but not guarantees it'll properly work.
  • anephric 21 Feb 2018 12:22:46 2,863 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you've got a dish already you might as well just buy a Humax freesat box rather than faffing around getting a high-gain aerial installed.
  • Blackmarsh63 21 Feb 2018 12:31:25 1,248 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd see what's available in your area before you go down the aerial route.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-at-your-address

If your not fussed about recording stuff skyboxes make perfect freesat HD boxes.
  • Dougs 21 Feb 2018 12:34:17 85,219 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    With only a handful of channels though.
  • mrpon 21 Feb 2018 12:37:23 34,285 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Freeview is only legally* available via aerial cable right? I'm not missing an app or gadget that'll stream it through the internet?

For example, I've got a Sky News app on my Roku that streams live, plus BBC app that does the same.

*yes I'm aware of dodgy streams.

Edited by mrpon at 12:38:17 21-02-2018
  • DukeSilver 21 Feb 2018 12:37:44 3,115 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The dish is in place so Freesat would be a simple swap. A few years ago a Humax HD recorder would have been the obvious choice but because I watch so little terrestrial TV and don't record much I'm checking on the alternatives. I suppose I could go for a non-recorder but for the extra money maybe it's worth it.

Basically I've been on the Sky teat for too long and I'm confused by my new life of freedom.
  • Blackmarsh63 21 Feb 2018 12:46:49 1,248 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DukeSilver Obviously the recording option is nice to have but every channel that's available on a dedicated Freesat box is available on an old sky box.
  • DukeSilver 21 Feb 2018 12:55:16 3,115 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    With freeview I should get 89 channels with 16 HD according to the online checker. I had my aerial mostly working at one stage but something changed and I couldn't get a load of the channels. That was around the time I bought a Firestick so I didn't spend too much time investigating. Plus I had Sky so for the World Cup and whatever else I could watch it in HD there.

I think it comes down to how much watching live sport in SD will annoy me unless BBC and ITV through a cancelled Sky box are still in HD? I was assuming it'd be SD but is that not right?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.